Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most people recommend looking at www.gasworks.com for employment opportunities, although I bet many jobs are word of mouth.

23 might be the baby but I think two of the people that got admitted to the UMKC program are around that age.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people recommend looking at www.gasworks.com for employment opportunities, although I bet many jobs are word of mouth.

23 might be the baby but I think two of the people that got admitted to the UMKC program are around that age.

Yeah I checked out that website...only found one place here in FL and quite a few in GA and TX.

Me randomly being a crybaby:

I was just thinking how much of a true bum I am. I really don't want to go beyond the minimum requirements of applying to AA school. Mostly, because it cost money. Lol. Times are hard. A big part of me knows that I should do additional "preferred" coursework because it will "look good" (apparently). Plus, I am sure the application process is extremely competitive. I am also worried because I don't have much experience in anything, other than working and going to school (no extracurricular activities or talents).

I have less then a year to prepare for applying to AA school. I've got a lot to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I checked out that website...only found one place here in FL and quite a few in GA and TX.

JWK might be able to give more info on this, but I've been told from multiple people that you can look at CRNA positions in major metro centers and/or CRNA positions that state it is under the ACT model, and then expect an AA to get paid the same because they are essentially doing the same job.

JWK might be able to give more info on this, but I've been told from multiple people that you can look at CRNA positions in major metro centers and/or CRNA positions that state it is under the ACT model, and then expect an AA to get paid the same because they are essentially doing the same job.

Hey, first off, Josh, congrats...

None of the graduating AA's from any of the programs have any trouble getting jobs. Many will have multiple offers.

Gasworks is only ONE way of job hunting, and some will argue not a good one anyway for a variety of reasons. Many practices (including my own) don't use it.

Those of you who go through the programs will rotate through a bunch of hospitals for clinicals. Besides being really nice guys and wanting to help the AA profession, many of these clinical sites will use this time to look for potential applicants for their practices. It's the perfect chance for you to look at them and vice versa.

If you're interested in a particular practice or hospital, and want to try and work there, then do the leg work like you would for every other job. That means find out names, addresses, phone numbers. Put together a CV and cover letter. Mail them - follow up. And please - do this yourself - do NOT use a recruiter to do it for you. That spells L-A-Z-Y. And don't give me that crap about being too busy with school to send out resumes. Everyone is busy, including the people doing the hiring.

Better practices don't use recruiters. If a practice IS using a recruiter, you better find out why. I know one tossing out "You can make $180k right out of school" statements. Students eyes glaze over and their tongues hang out. The catch is, that's a contractor position - no benefits, no pension, no malpractice, not even taxes taken out. Do all that and you're back down in the $100-120k range.

There's nothing wrong with using sites like gaswork or ads in journals or newspapers. Again, remember that many practices simply don't advertise.

None of the graduating AA's from any of the programs have any trouble getting jobs. Many will have multiple offers.

Gasworks is only ONE way of job hunting, and some will argue not a good one anyway for a variety of reasons. Many practices (including my own) don't use it.

Those of you who go through the programs will rotate through a bunch of hospitals for clinicals. Besides being really nice guys and wanting to help the AA profession, many of these clinical sites will use this time to look for potential applicants for their practices. It's the perfect chance for you to look at them and vice versa.

If you're interested in a particular practice or hospital, and want to try and work there, then do the leg work like you would for every other job. That means find out names, addresses, phone numbers. Put together a CV and cover letter. Mail them - follow up. And please - do this yourself - do NOT use a recruiter to do it for you. That spells L-A-Z-Y. And don't give me that crap about being too busy with school to send out resumes. Everyone is busy, including the people doing the hiring.

Better practices don't use recruiters. If a practice IS using a recruiter, you better find out why. I know one tossing out "You can make $180k right out of school" statements. Students eyes glaze over and their tongues hang out. The catch is, that's a contractor position - no benefits, no pension, no malpractice, not even taxes taken out. Do all that and you're back down in the $100-120k range.

There's nothing wrong with using sites like gaswork or ads in journals or newspapers. Again, remember that many practices simply don't advertise.

Lol. Okay, thats definately me. I guess I was gullible. When I had seen those large pay ranges I was like :eek:. I didn't even think about all those underlying factors (no benefits, pension, malpractice,taxes) taken out. :( . No big deal, $100-120 thousand is still great pay. Plus, it definitly seems like a job I'd enjoy and accompany a suitable lifestyle. That's what matters when its all said and done.

Mention his name and he will appear...

Seriously, do you get a page every time someone posts your name? Amazing.

Thanks for the thanks, and don't worry, when I have questions I'll fire them off.

Mention his name and he will appear...

Seriously, do you get a page every time someone posts your name? Amazing.

Thanks for the thanks, and don't worry, when I have questions I'll fire them off.

Nah - this is about the only thread on the clinician's forum I'm subscribed to at the moment. Otherwise I just hide out in the anesthesiology section.

Thanks so much for that info! I'm wondering...do any of you guys/girls know of any scholarships available for this program?

Me randomly being a crybaby:

I was just thinking how much of a true bum I am. I really don't want to go beyond the minimum requirements of applying to AA school. Mostly, because it cost money. Lol. Times are hard. A big part of me knows that I should do additional "preferred" coursework because it will "look good" (apparently). Plus, I am sure the application process is extremely competitive. I am also worried because I don't have much experience in anything, other than working and going to school (no extracurricular activities or talents).

I have less then a year to prepare for applying to AA school. I've got a lot to do.

I can't even begin to tell you how I'm in the EXACT same position...lol...I've been scowering every school possible to find the cheapest one to get these required classes taken care of :laugh:. Cheapest, however, has proven to be a pain in the butt because they have drastically different pre-reqs for each class and I'd end up spending way more time in a bunch of classes I don't need, while delaying the process of applying! I have it set in my mind to apply next summer for the entering class of 2010...thus my search has only begun...! lol

One other thing that's hard to find is a scholarship for non-degree seeking students! :(

Congrats all!

If anyone is heading down to Nova and needs local recommendations for food, etc....feel free to drop me a PM. It isn't a bad area to live (outside of a bit expensive), and you can't beat the weather!

Congrats all!

If anyone is heading down to Nova and needs local recommendations for food, etc....feel free to drop me a PM. It isn't a bad area to live (outside of a bit expensive), and you can't beat the weather!

Hi! Do you go to Nova for their AA program? I'm really curious about it...I'm a Nova alumni, but don't know much about their AA program...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't even begin to tell you how I'm in the EXACT same position...lol...I've been scowering every school possible to find the cheapest one to get these required classes taken care of :laugh:. Cheapest, however, has proven to be a pain in the butt because they have drastically different pre-reqs for each class and I'd end up spending way more time in a bunch of classes I don't need, while delaying the process of applying! I have it set in my mind to apply next summer for the entering class of 2010...thus my search has only begun...! lol

Lol. I contacted one of the community colleges (so much more cheaper then state university) and in response they said they might not offer as many courses this summer/fall because of the economy. Definately bad news for me. I do not want to attend the state university because its ridiculously more expensive. Hopefully the CC will have the courses I need, if not I am going to have to decide between traveling to another CC out of town or paying more at the state university. I'd hate for money to get in the way of me applying. I'd like to apply as soon as possible.

Good Luck MadScience!

Lol. I contacted one of the community colleges (so much more cheaper then state university) and in response they said they might not offer as many courses this summer/fall because of the economy. Definately bad news for me. I do not want to attend the state university because its ridiculously more expensive. Hopefully the CC will have the courses I need, if not I am going to have to decide between traveling to another CC out of town or paying more at the state university. I'd hate for money to get in the way of me applying. I'd like to apply as soon as possible.

Good Luck MadScience!

Yeah, I know what you mean...I was just telling my husband the other day how awful it is that I finally decided what I want to do with my career and I now have a financial barrier with regards to these extra classes...but I have faith everything will work out to our favor! ;) Best of luck to you too Perola!!

To those attending NOVA or have graduated NOVA, are some of these bad reviews warranted? I'm pretty certain each program has different pluses and minuses, but geez overall the students do not look too happy..

http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/NSU_comments.html

I hate to say it but unfortunately a lot of these negative comments are valid...I graduated from their business admin. program this year...and I seriously regret not going into pre-med instead! Don't get me wrong tho...there are good things about the school...but I was unhappy overall with the level of education I received from their business program. If I had gone to Barnes and Noble and bought books on each subject, it honestly would have been no different. With the exception of maybe 4 or 5 teachers/classes (out of my whole 2 years there) I can't account for any other ones that really made an impact on me and made me feel like I learned anything. However, that's just the business side of it. I did know people who were in the sciences and were overall happy with the teachers and the level of material offered.

Oh and regarding a couple of the comments on that website where the staff is horrible at helping you out with problems...they really are terrible and almost completely clueless! And one more side note...don't EVER take online classes there! I cannot even begin to explain how horrible they are. If these students think on-campus teachers don't seem to care...you'll be baffled at these part-time online teachers!

Hope this helps! Are you going for their AA program too?

I hate to say it but unfortunately a lot of these negative comments are valid...I graduated from their business admin. program this year...and I seriously regret not going into pre-med instead! Don't get me wrong tho...there are good things about the school...but I was unhappy overall with the level of education I received from their business program. If I had gone to Barnes and Noble and bought books on each subject, it honestly would have been no different. With the exception of maybe 4 or 5 teachers/classes (out of my whole 2 years there) I can't account for any other ones that really made an impact on me and made me feel like I learned anything. However, that's just the business side of it. I did know people who were in the sciences and were overall happy with the teachers and the level of material offered.

Oh and regarding a couple of the comments on that website where the staff is horrible at helping you out with problems...they really are terrible and almost completely clueless! And one more side note...don't EVER take online classes there! I cannot even begin to explain how horrible they are. If these students think on-campus teachers don't seem to care...you'll be baffled at these part-time online teachers!

Knowing what you know are you going to apply to their AA program? These comments are kind of discouraging and may be very well true but then again outsiders can't see the whole picture.

AAMan said:
I just want to wish you all luck. I hope you all visited our updated webpage.
www.anesthetist.org

Welcome to SDN and thanks for the link.

Knowing what you know are you going to apply to their AA program? These comments are kind of discouraging and may be very well true but then again outsiders can't see the whole picture.

Welcome to SDN and thanks for the link.

Depending on the program you're in you'll have a different experience. I didn't have a great experience with the business program, but that might be very different for the AA program, which is a graduate program, unlike the undergrad program I did. There are variances, and besides, I can't relocate right now because of my husband's job, so I have to take what I can get...and I hear good things about the AA program so I'm not worried about it. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you have to make the most of your learning experience.

I can’t speak for other programs but as far as the AA program at NSU I can tell you from personal experience that you all will not be disappointed. The professors we have are excellent. They are very knowledgeable and are doing a great job of providing us with the information and skills we need to be great anesthetist. They are not forced to be our professors, they could be making much more money working as full time AAs, instead they choose to teach us because they care about us and the profession. The facilities we have are also excellent. We have a state of the art full mock operating room with everything needed to run labs and simulations. If the chance is available I would highly recommend passing by our program, talking to the professors, and viewing our facilities. Also the weather in South Florida is excellent.

My first undergrad school had an excellent pre-med program. One of my friends got a degree in business [edit: from teh same school] and felt he was very underprepared for entering the professional world.

I think most people with bachelor's in business would feel the same way.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for other programs but as far as the AA program at NSU I can tell you from personal experience that you all will not be disappointed. The professors we have are excellent. They are very knowledgeable and are doing a great job of providing us with the information and skills we need to be great anesthetist. They are not forced to be our professors, they could be making much more money working as full time AAs, instead they choose to teach us because they care about us and the profession. The facilities we have are also excellent. We have a state of the art full mock operating room with everything needed to run labs and simulations. If the chance is available I would highly recommend passing by our program, talking to the professors, and viewing our facilities. Also the weather in South Florida is excellent.

I hear great things about the program, so I don't doubt I'll come out of there very well prepared. How far along in the program are you? I just missed the open house last week, and I really wish I could've gone there. Is it possible to just go by there and maybe shadow a student for a day or something? I'd love to get a better feel for the program and check out the facility.

My first undergrad school had an excellent pre-med program. One of my friends got a degree in business and felt he was very underprepared for entering the professional world.

I think most people with bachelor's in business would feel the same way.

I know I feel extremely underprepared. It seems as tho undergrad business schools almost underteach the students on purpose, so they're forced to go get a master's degree in order to be even remotely competitive enough on the market. In my experience, I felt the teachers only covered general subjects, as if the students already knew everything else and only needed to have a "refresher course." Lame is not the word...!

Sigh.

So none of the other students that got into UMKC have posted and in addition, none of them have joined my facebook group.

Guess I'll go play some COD4 then...

I am in my second semester. I believe you can show up at any time and they will be glad to show you around. Good luck.

Yes, I am going for their AA program and a couple others too. Just turned in my apps last week. Thanks for the honest feedback, will need to make a mental note that if I do end up going to NOVA I'll have to take care of administration needs myself! Glad that AAman has chimed in also, at least the AA profs have their stuff together.

Its registration time and I need help. At my institution, Organic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry Lab are two separate classes that may be taken at the same time or different times (provided you take the lecture before the lab). Is Organic Chemistry so hard that it would be better to take the lab ad lecture at different times or would it be better to take them at the same time? What do you all think?

I wouldnt pay attention to any bad reviews about Nova you read on that web page. I have not noticed any major dissatisfaction with Nova from any other students in the health department. Besides, the AA program here is really a thing of its own with its own professors and classes. What happens in some other programs is irrelevant.

In regards to jobs, there are plenty of places looking to employ AAs in FL at the moment. Of course there is still a lot of room for expansion, but there are more jobs than there are AAs to fill them. Don't base your opinion of the job market off of gasworks.

Basically if quality of education is your concern, you have nothing to worry about. The only thing you should be wondering about at this point is whether or not you will get in. I wish you all the best of luck.

Its registration time and I need help. At my institution, Organic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry Lab are two separate classes that may be taken at the same time or different times (provided you take the lecture before the lab). Is Organic Chemistry so hard that it would be better to take the lab ad lecture at different times or would it be better to take them at the same time? What do you all think?

Take it at the same time. Get it over with. I think they're separated primarily for scheduling purposes at bigger schools. At smaller schools, it's all bundled together. I would think it would be pretty wierd taking the lab a semester or two after you take the lecture class.

Nova :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And MadScience - if you're wanting to go to anesthesia school, stop worrying about your undergrad business classes. Apples to oranges.

My son is at Georgia Tech, ranked the #4 engineering school in the country. Every freshman takes two English classes. Those are the only two English classes offered, the sum total of the entire English Department. How worried should he be when he applies to graduate school that they don't have a bigger/better English department?

Last edited:
Nova :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And MadScience - if you're wanting to go to anesthesia school, stop worrying about your undergrad business classes. Apples to oranges.

My son is at Georgia Tech, ranked the #4 engineering school in the country. Every freshman takes two English classes. Those are the only two English classes offered, the sum total of the entire English Department. How worried should he be when he applies to graduate school that they don't have a bigger/better English department?

I'm not worried about my undergrad business classes at all...if I were trying to apply to business grad school, like I was at one point last year, then maybe I would be, but my "concerns" displayed here were just to prove a point in how much Nova's undergrad business program sucks ;). The only thing worrying me now is getting these prerequisite classes done so I can get on with applying! hehehe

Hey do any of you know if you have to be a US citizen in order to be an AA, or is being a permanent resident sufficient?

Yeah....we needed that Josh.....Is anyone applying to the NSU-Tampa program?

I'm starting to think that none of the other people that got into the UMKC program use SDF.

Perhaps not using SDF allows one to focus more on MCAT and interview prep. Odd.

Update: Orientation 39 days away.

Interviewed/Accepted to South University. I will be the intubation king :smuggrin:!

Nova interview in two weeks...got the application for Tampa, but the FtL campus is top choice. Memorial Hospital in Miramar starts AA-Cs at $130,000. Shands neuro is starting AA-Cs at $175,000 with Shands general around $150,000. Start looking into specialities!

Interviewed/Accepted to South University. I will be the intubation king :smuggrin:!

Nova interview in two weeks...got the application for Tampa, but the FtL campus is top choice. Memorial Hospital in Miramar starts AA-Cs at $130,000. Shands neuro is starting AA-Cs at $175,000 with Shands general around $150,000. Start looking into specialities!

What is shands? How was the inteview at south?

Anyone know how the American AA schools are when it comes to accepting Canadian students?

Yea they are but it is pretty lame, not much of a scope of practice apparently. More technical things than patient care or so I have heard.

So in short I would not be taking my AA education from the US ack to Canada that is for sure!

Congratulations!

That's a lot of money starting off as an AA. Is that for real?

Yea they are but it is pretty lame, not much of a scope of practice apparently. More technical things than patient care or so I have heard.

So in short I would not be taking my AA education from the US ack to Canada that is for sure!

That's good to know! Thanks!

Anyone know how the American AA schools are when it comes to accepting Canadian students?

If Canadian student have the appropriate coursework, degree, and good MCAT/GRE scores, they should be eligible to attend US AA programs. I know several AA's that are Canadians.

Hey are AA's allowed to work in Canada?

The Canadian concept of AA's is a bit different than the US. More of a technical assistant (although they are in the OR), much more limited educational exposure (no degree). There is no provision that I'm aware of for US-trained AA's to work in Canada at the moment - they would be significantly overqualified.

I am in my second semester. I believe you can show up at any time and they will be glad to show you around. Good luck.

Do you know the 2 AA students rotating at Childrens Medical Center in Dallas?