Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the acceptance dill weed! Let me know when you come down for the BCS title match - We have beer to drink and stories to tell. Hows the hospital in the swamp?

Members don't see this ad.

YAAAAAAYYYY...... I got an interview at Nova. I picked Jan. 16......Everyone that picked that date, I'll see you then!!!!!

YAAAAAAYYYY...... I got an interview at Nova. I picked Jan. 16......Everyone that picked that date, I'll see you then!!!!!

Anyone interviewed/accepted at Nova? I have an interview there in January.

Congratulations to both of you for your interviews! I can't wait til it's my turn...but I still have a while to go! hahaha...If you don't mind my asking, what were your scores on the GRE/MCAT? Also, what were your experiences like spending 8 hrs in the OR? Can't wait to hear from you both after your interviews! I'm really anxious to know all about it! Good luck!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to both of you for your interviews! I can't wait til it's my turn...but I still have a while to go! hahaha...If you don't mind my asking, what were your scores on the GRE/MCAT? Also, what were your experiences like spending 8 hrs in the OR? Can't wait to hear from you both after your interviews! I'm really anxious to know all about it! Good luck!! :D

1270 GRE, 32 MCAT (11V, 11P, 10B).

I shadowed an anesthesiologist at Florida Hospital in Orlando, that was alot of fun, got to see an open heart bypass (standing a foot away from a beating heart is really really cool), an open nephrectomy, and a pediatric brain surgery.

Shadowed at another surgery center in Orlando where I got to see some cool orthopedic cases. Most of the time both places I was just standing there taking it all in and thinking about how awesome it was.

Endee, what day in Jan. is your interview?

Madscience, I have worked in the OR as a surgical assistant for 8 years, almost 9. I practically live there.Matter of fact, I do live there. I am on call every other weekend. I got a 1000 on my GRE but I have alot of experience to back me up.

Josh, when do you start?

Madscience, I have worked in the OR as a surgical assistant for 8 years, almost 9. I practically live there.Matter of fact, I do live there. I am on call every other weekend. I got a 1000 on my GRE but I have alot of experience to back me up.

Josh, when do you start?

January 9th.

1270 GRE, 32 MCAT (11V, 11P, 10B).

I shadowed an anesthesiologist at Florida Hospital in Orlando, that was alot of fun, got to see an open heart bypass (standing a foot away from a beating heart is really really cool), an open nephrectomy, and a pediatric brain surgery.

Shadowed at another surgery center in Orlando where I got to see some cool orthopedic cases. Most of the time both places I was just standing there taking it all in and thinking about how awesome it was.

That sounds extremely cool! It's cool enough watching surgeries on tv...I can only imagine in real life! Can't waiiiit! :laugh:

Josh, when do you start?

Wow...sounds nifty! What made you want to change your mind to the AA field? More flexible hours, I suppose is one of the reasons? hehehe

Josh, when do you start?

Orientation is 01/09/09.

Wow...sounds nifty! What made you want to change your mind to the AA field? More flexible hours, I suppose is one of the reasons? hehehe
I guess the short of it is; I needed another educational challenge but still staying in the OR.

Josh, have you been reading up on things? Your start date is around the corner.

Just started to brush up on pharmacology, and after I finish that review, I am going to learn about the physics behind the anesthesia machine.

It is a horrible read and is quite boring, but it was suggested as a very important topic to know by an anesthesiologist I work with.

Did you get some of the books already? The anesthesia maxchine read does seem kind of boring, so try not to fall asleep reading it!! Drink a cup of coffee, read a page , get more coffee, read a page....something like that......

Members don't see this ad :)
The early study is admirable. But if you can take a tiny bit of advice from a new PA school grad, be sure to also enjoy your last bit of free time before school starts, cuz you are going to need it;).

got into NOVA Ft. Lauderdale! :cool:

Still deciding if I want to interview at Emory.. costs a small fortune to fly out and interview, but I probably will. South is a no-go.

In KC we had snow earlier in the week, a thunderstorm with huge wind gusts last night, and now it is back down to 20 degrees and all the previous rain has turned to ice.

Studying in Florida seems like it would be a great thing. SRSLY. Congrats.

Oh, and for my pre-school prep, I am reviewing the chapters on pertinent pharmacological agents from Lange's Clinical Pharm, Morgan's Clinical Anesthesiology, and Stoelting's Basics of Anesthesia.

It's actually getting exciting. I kinda wish I had decided to take the last two weeks off of work...

Still deciding if I want to interview at Emory.. costs a small fortune to fly out and interview, but I probably will. South is a no-go.

Congrats!

Question to all and any: How much/many courses did you all do beyond the minimum requirements to apply to an AA program? (I do not think I asked this before. Sorry if I already did.)

u think being a RRT helped a lot during the interview?

Congrats!!! I'm with Endee...curious to know what Nova's interview is like...what sort of questions do they ask, how long was it, how many people were in the interview room? Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to get the full scoop :laugh:

Studying in Florida seems like it would be a great thing. SRSLY. Congrats.

It''s not the cheapest place to live (compared to the midwest), but you will get spoiled by the weather. I've been down here going on 5 years, and it is definitely a great place to live.....I'm going to miss it!

It''s not the cheapest place to live (compared to the midwest), but you will get spoiled by the weather. I've been down here going on 5 years, and it is definitely a great place to live.....I'm going to miss it!

I live in Johnson county, which is one of the top places to live (http://www.jccc.edu/home/depts.php/6111/site/profile), plus the house I bought a year ago [damn the timing] for 220K would easily cost in the 700's in the Seattle area.

Great place. 4 seasons.

Even with the market tanking down here (#1 or #2 highest foreclosure rate in the nation), a $250k house in the Midwest is still going to run a person $600-$750k here. Blah. One of the big reasons I want to live in the South is because it is more affordable.

You guys are a friggin' inspiration. Really, I mean it. I'm in a similar boat to some of you, except the closest I've gotten to AA school prep is the starry look I get in my eyes when I'm daydreaming about anesthesia. but reading what you guys (esp. Josh and RT2MD) have gone through has at least put it on the outside fringe of being a possibility. Josh, I've been reading your posts here and at allpurses (LOL!) for a while, and a hearty congrats is in order. RT2MD, I think our situations are a bit more similar, but I'm 35 and have my second child due in March. And I've got 29 more years left on my mortgage, heheh, ring a bell Josh? I went to RT school (A.A.S. 3.5 GPA) and worked for a few years on long island (outside NYC) And cut my teeth with a busy ICU/CCU, NICU, and a fair amount of trauma in a 40 bed ED. I knew from the getgo I wanted out of the tri state area, and wound up with an awesome job at a small rural hospital in VT. Now this is where it gets interesting, this place is great. I've never been in a better work environment, cover the whole house by myself, RT is well respected here (A-lines, C-section rapid response, tons of staff education, PFT's, lower arterial studies, stress testing, ICU manager is an RT, you get my point), awsome bene's ('alternative therapy' coverage including gym membership, massage and accupuncture!) Robust 401(k) contribution matching program, I easily make 55K with minimal OT, usually its more. And frankly in this part of new england, thats a decent living. And just as importantly, they love me here.......as in handwritten thank you notes from the CEO, multiple employee of the months, physicians requesting my presence at certain procedures, ect. I chalk this up to 2 things, I went to a great program and was able to develop a solid set of clinical skills to build upon, and I'm a natural people person. I've always worked hard to develop relationships with the people I work along side. And this above all else, I believe, earns respect from your peers and superiors. One of the anesthesiologists here delivered her baby one night I was on. Long story short the baby desats, and the L/D nurses as good as they really are, get panicky. The funny part is I'd never met this MD and though she was a 'regular' Pt, I walk in my calm cool collected self and do my thing (nothing more than a little humidified O2, and reposition the pulse-ox, and transillumination).......and the baby was fine, I'm not convinced there was really anything wrong in the first place?! Anyway I've gotten to know her fairly well and she's offered to write any sort of recommendation I want, and use any contacts she might have. I also have close family members that are MD's and a former and current director that would write great recommendations. I've got plenty of volunteer FD/EMS experience, and could get valuable character references if needed. So, basically I've got good icing for cake I don't have. LOL! Although I think the chances of me even pursuing AA are slim, I think preparing as though would also set me up for success in administration. Working here for 30 years and retiring is not looking all that bad. I guess I'm posting to vent a little, offer a "good luck" to those of you with upcoming interviews, and also to you Josh. Congratulations and knock 'em dead!.......er...knock 'em out!

Last edited:
You guys are a friggin' inspiration. Really, I mean it. I'm in a similar boat to some of you, except the closest I've gotten to AA school prep is the starry look I get in my eyes when I'm daydreaming about anesthesia. but reading what you guys (esp. Josh and RT2MD) have gone through has at least put it on the outside fringe of being a possibility. Josh, I've been reading your posts here and at allpurses (LOL!) for a while, and a hearty congrats is in order. RT2MD, I think our situations are a bit more similar, but I'm 35 and have my second child due in March. And I've got 29 more years left on my mortgage, heheh, ring a bell Josh? I went to RT school (A.A.S. 3.5 GPA) and worked for a few years on long island (outside NYC) And cut my teeth with a busy ICU/CCU, NICU, and a fair amount of trauma in a 40 bed ED. I knew from the getgo I wanted out of the tri state area, and wound up with an awesome job at a small rural hospital in VT. Now this is where it gets interesting, this place is great. I've never been in a better work environment, cover the whole house by myself, RT is well respected here (A-lines, C-section rapid response, tons of staff education, PFT's, lower arterial studies, stress testing, ICU manager is an RT, you get my point), awsome bene's ('alternative therapy' coverage including gym membership, massage and accupuncture!) Robust 401(k) contribution matching program, I easily make 55K with minimal OT, usually its more. And frankly in this part of new england, thats a decent living. And just as importantly, they love me here.......as in handwritten thank you notes from the CEO, multiple employee of the months, physicians requesting my presence at certain procedures, ect. I chalk this up to 2 things, I went to a great program and was able to develop a solid set of clinical skills to build upon, and I'm a natural people person. I've always worked hard to develop relationships with the people I work along side. And this above all else, I believe, earns respect from your peers and superiors. One of the anesthesiologists here delivered her baby one night I was on. Long story short the baby desats, and the L/D nurses as good as they really are, get panicky. The funny part is I'd never met this MD and though she was a 'regular' Pt, I walk in my calm cool collected self and do my thing (nothing more than a little humidified O2, and reposition the pulse-ox, and transillumination).......and the baby was fine, I'm not convinced there was really anything wrong in the first place?! Anyway I've gotten to know her fairly well and she's offered to write any sort of recommendation I want, and use any contacts she might have. I also have close family members that are MD's and a former and current director that would write great recommendations. I've got plenty of volunteer FD/EMS experience, and could get valuable character references if needed. So, basically I've got good icing for cake I don't have. LOL! Although I think the chances of me even pursuing AA are slim, I think preparing as though would also set me up for success in administration. Working here for 30 years and retiring is not looking all that bad. I guess I'm posting to vent a little, offer a "good luck" to those of you with upcoming interviews, and also to you Josh. Congradulations and knock 'em dead!.......er...knock 'em out!
A..humm.....Long post!!! (j/k) It is always interesting to see other peoples perspective on things especially in different areas of the country. Just curious, why do you feel that persuing AA school is slim? You seem to have what is neccessary; plus vermont is one of the states that AA's can work in....So.. whats the hold up?

The sticking point [I assume] is that there are no AA schools in New England (is that the right term?), so selling a house with 2 years of payments [1 year done + 1 year prerequisite, MCAT prep, and interview] would seem daunting given the current climate.

But to look at it from the other side Khan (have ST2 on my iPhone BTW), you have excellent stats and experience. Plus, you would make about 2-2.5X what you are making now right out of school.

It sounds like you have had some good experiences, and if you choose to go for A.A....you'd be in a solid position. I guess you need to figure out what you want out of your career. It sounds like you have a nice niche, so I think either way....you will be in good shape.

Pores:
Thanks for the kind words. It has been tough trying to figure out what I want to do. I understand completely the problem about not having a school close to you. After I graduated from RT school, I was looking at the RN->CRNA route until I realized that it would realistically take me ~7 yrs. It was then that I set my sights towards the MD/DO route (only one more year).

The AA idea was out of question for me, as I knew there was only a VERY small chance of the possibility of relocation. I was ecstatic when I talked to an Anesthesiologist that I work with, and he said that there was a new program opening up in UMKC (MUCH closer to me).

I have now been wrestling with the fact that, growing up, my dream was to be a physician. But as you all know, when you get older your priorities change. I have been trying to dig deep in my heart to figure out what it is that I want to do. I actually had this last Christmas off from work (for the first time in years) so that I could spend it with my little girl. That was really nice, and made me realize that I don't want to miss very many of those.

I am just glad that I am done with my pre-reqs! I'm not going to know what to do with myself now that classes are over!

Anyway, I need to get going - and I feel like I have done my OWN novel! Good luck with your decisions!

-RT2MD

Yeah....we needed that Josh.....Is anyone applying to the NSU-Tampa program?
I was just accepted to the Tampa program and plan to attend. I am very excited about this new phase of my life, by my wife and I are completely panicked over the logistics of it all.

We have two small children. The oldest will be 3 in February and the youndest is almost 18 mos. My wife is due with our third on April 4th.

Between now and then, we have to get some work done on the house, sell the house, get ready for a baby, have the baby, take care of the baby, make sure our other 2 boys are not neglected, find a place to live, arrange a move, organize the move, ship cars to FL, pack up everything, coordinate the move itself, close on the old house, fly down to Florida with 3 small children and 2 dogs, get cars, move in, unpack.

And that is just the stuff off the top of my head... :scared:

Get em Gators! Heading to Tampa in 5 months...that keeps me closer to the swamp!

Interviewed at Nova FTL today, amazing place. Accepted via phone call while I was driving home from the interview. Can't wait to start there.

Interviewed at Nova FTL today, amazing place. Accepted via phone call while I was driving home from the interview. Can't wait to start there.

That fast! Damn! That's great.

Congrats to all the new acceptances.

You all make me more excited.

Can you guys tell us about your interviews? Laid back? Most interesting, unexpected or nerve-racking questions you had to answer?

Thats great Endee, Ill be there next Fri.....Hope it bodes well for me too.....

MRW, where are you moving from, if I get in, it will be a big move for me as well.....

Endee,

You know you have to give me the details on the interview....You as well MRW....

Interview day was very laid back and unintimidating. 3 person panel followed by one on one conversation. The program director, med director, and assoc director seemed like really cool people. We talked about how awesome it is to have 78 degree sunny weather in January. I was mostly asked about my resume and why I wanted to be an AA, but it was all very casual conversation. They treated us all to lunch after and ate and chatted with us. I was never really given any reason to be nervous. Just know who you are and why you want to be there, be a real person, and everything will be fine.

I had a similar experience. I will say that a couple of people came back into the room saying they had been asked some pointed math related questions. I think they hone in on one or two points of concern and ask questions around that. My questions centered on why I would give up my current career at 40 to do this and how I planned to handle the work with 3 small children. You are going to have to go through it yourself before I share any more than that.

I had a similar experience. I will say that a couple of people came back into the room saying they had been asked some pointed math related questions. I think they hone in on one or two points of concern and ask questions around that. My questions centered on why I would give up my current career at 40 to do this and how I planned to handle the work with 3 small children. You are going to have to go through it yourself before I share any more than that.

At 32 (almost)and a single mother, I am not too far behind you!!!lol Anyway, thanks for the info... both of you (Endee).... Any info to is great info....but MRW, why did you pick the Tampa campus?

How was orientation, Josh?

Orientation was good. There are still some logistical issues that need to be ironed out but I was expecting that considering we are only the 2nd class.

Like the first class, we will be immersed into clinicals fairly quickly (after 2-3 months I think) and we will work 1:1 for the length of the program. We also will start integrating into the lectures attended by local anesthesiology residents, which is a great idea. Finally, the small number of students will definitely make the didactic portion of the training more interactive than the typical lecture format.

I'm excited. I am kinda hoping that my mursing job won't need me to work PRN so I can focus entirely on school.

Im in Ft. Lauderdale...WOHOO....(it is -2 where I live right now).....I'll tell you all how things go later, tomorrow, after my interview.....

Im in Ft. Lauderdale...WOHOO....(it is -2 where I live right now).....I'll tell you all how things go later, tomorrow, after my interview.....

It's 8 degrees here right now (without wind chill). I saw -2 this morning on my way to work...

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

:luck:

So I was reading an article today of how terrible the job outlook is currently--and will be for a while--and I was wondering how you all think it will (or won't) affect the AA field. I'm thinking it won't take a hit because the medical field is always in demand, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if it does go down the slumps...my hopes for the best!:xf:

By the way, congrats to all of you who passed your interviews and good luck to those still going!! :)