Those without text Anxiety...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you that don’t stress or freak out over grades, when you open up the email and see a less than stellar grade, how do you react?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in undergrad, you kinda need to be OCD about your grades

Reactions: 2 users
Because I don't like emojis and am not facile with abbreviations (e.g., TL; DR or LMAO), I have extreme text anxiety. Perhaps it has to do with my advanced age . . . :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of regular anxiety - does that count?

Reactions: 1 users
  • Idk never seen one...lol JK. I just try to remember that one grade does not have to determine your success in the class and you can overcome it. Do not mix or confuse your self worth as a person with your grades.

I ended up getting a 59/105 on the first test for Orgo II. The median for the exam was 54/105. So I basically got a B- for the exam.

Worked my ass off for the second test and got a 96/105. Median was a 60/105.

Ended up getting an A in the class.

i basically figured out what i did wrong and go back and fix it. what's done is done all you can do is try to study better on the next one and also try to understand why you got the questions/problems wrong that you did so you won't do the same thing on the final

In engineering, the class averages were often around 50-60%. You learn to strive for competency rather than test perfection. It's not the best for admissions, but I'd argue it's a better approach for medical training.

Those of you that don’t stress or freak out over grades, when you open up the email and see a less than stellar grade, how do you react?
I just think "well, I can't change this grade, gotta work harder on the next one." Then I figure out where I went wrong and try to make positive changes to studying/learning habits for whatever class it was

No reason to stress about things you can't change when you will have an opportunity to improve later. Use it as a learning experience.

I feel sad. I then try to remind myself that this is just one exam of many and it's going to be absolutely fine. Too, if I studied a lot and still did poorly, I bet other people who studied a lot also didn't do as well as they wanted.

I then get out my Google Calendar to block out some extra time to review the exam after getting it back so I don't make the same mistakes on the final. I also plan on going to office hours for stuff I can't figure out myself (which is usually most of it, tbh).

Mild bummer wondering where I went wrong. Motivation to review the answer key to figure out what I missed. Historically speaking, I’m past the testing phase personally, and had no major disappointments in terms of failure or major underperformance. And for context I wouldn’t say I had no test anxiety at all - I had I think normal to above average levels of arousal, but nothing debilitating or performance impairing. In fact I tended to do marginally better on the real deal than in practice.
Try transforming your thoughts about tests from “I’m scared” to “I’m amped, this is it, let’s do it,” if you struggle with this. The neurotransmitters are same but can be used more effectively.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
everyone with a 3.9+ got a bad grade (Yes, a C or lower) at some point on a test. You review your test, go to office hours, dig deep with your professor to see what went wrong, and ask for advice on the next unit if you're that concerned. You do this all without begging for a higher grade and at least pretending to care about the material itself

Welp, I did poorly on this one. Is there an identifiable reason why? Yes, cool let’s not do that again! No, cool let’s adjust study strategy!

I view everything as an opportunity for improvement.

You really need to deal with this anxiety dear.

But to answer your question:
I do have test anxiety, I go into an exam knowing that I prepared myself well and I am relieved in that knowledge, and after every exam I always project the worst possible score that I could've gotten that way when I see my grade I feel a lot better.

Depends on why I did poorly. If it’s because the test was poorly written, then I am annoyed but generally not surprised. If it’s because I was just way off on what I was studying or made stupid mistakes, then I beat myself up for a few minutes and then move on. It’s just one test, and we often learn more from our failures than successes.