Quantcast

THOUGHTS? starting now and taking MCAT in August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nembry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've realized I really don't want to do a gap year. I will graduate May 2019 from UT Austin and my original plan is/was to take the MCAT that same May, apply in June then hopefully matriculate Fall 2020.

I have taken every pre-med prereq except for Biochem and Physics 2 (i understand how important biochem is for MCAT now).... so, at this point-- is it even reasonable to think I could put my ass into gear and begin studying now, learn the biochem material from Kaplan book, study very hard until then, take the MCAT in August, and leave myself a possibility of getting accepted? i realize how crazy this is but i want to hear if y'all think this is even within reason.

I will apply with TMDSAS as I want to stay in texas. also, if it doesn't work out and i get denied by my dream schools, will it put me at a disadvantage next cycle when i reapply, since i've already been denied?

Last edited:

AllBleedingStops

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have to make this decision yourself but I think it is crazy to try to learn biochem and prep for the MCAT from essentially scratch (even with the rest of the necessary courses completed) in 2ish months.

If you do poorly, you will be taking an enforced gap year anyway but now with a bad score on your record.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I kinda realized I don't really want to do a gap year. I will graduate May 2019 from UT Austin and my original plan is/was to take the MCAT that same May, apply in June then hopefully matriculate Fall 2020.

I have taken every pre-med prereq except for Biochem and Physics 2 (i understand how important biochem is for MCAT now).... so, at this point is it even within reason to think I could put my ass into gear and begin studying now, learn the biochem material from Kaplan book, study very hard until then and take the MCAT in August, and leave myself a possibility of getting accepted? i realize how crazy this is but i want to hear if y'all think this is even within reason.

I will apply with TMDSAS as I want to stay in texas.
This is a foolish and reckless idea. Is your goal to get into medical school or simply believe because you dont want to spend a gap year, rush the mcat, without some prereqs, in TMDSAS which operates earlier, that you magically be a competive candidate? I cannot express just how idiotic this idea is

Reactions: 1 users

jd989898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would definitely advise against this. I think 18-20hrs per week for 3-4 months is the baseline amount of time to study for the MCAT

Blanky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even if his score is solid hrs putting himself in terrible position. Consider hrs going to study for the MCAT and then be trying to gather his letters, write his PS and get verified (late) and then try and fill out late secondaries.
He can study for the MCAT and come into next cycle full speed.