This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itamtam97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have set my sights on becoming an optometrist for a while now. I am currently finishing my 2nd semester as a sophomore at UCBerkeley. I am also a part-time receptionist at an optometry clinic nearby and I have been working there for roughly half a year now. Coincidentally, the doctors who work at that clinic also teach at the Berkeley school of Optometry.

I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to get this job, but I do not know how long I can keep up the balance between work and school. Thus, I wonder: should I ask for letters of recommendation toward the end of my work period, or would it be better if I wait until I actually put together my application- towards the end of junior year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I have set my sights on becoming an optometrist for a while now. I am currently finishing my 2nd semester as a sophomore at UCBerkeley. I am also a part-time receptionist at an optometry clinic nearby and I have been working there for roughly half a year now. Coincidentally, the doctors who work at that clinic also teach at the Berkeley school of Optometry.

I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to get this job, but I do not know how long I can keep up the balance between work and school. Thus, I wonder: should I ask for letters of recommendation toward the end of my work period, or would it be better if I wait until I actually put together my application- towards the end of junior year? Thanks!

I think is always a good rule of thumb to get your letters of rec asap. You can hold on to them and use them whenever you need to. On a side note make sure to ask the doctors to save and hold onto the letters they write for you as well, because they have to submit the letters themselves online.

If you already have a good relationship with the optometrists there, then whenever you have a good chance to talk to them, I would ask as soon as you can (especially if you intend to leave the job soon to focus on school). Most people are fine with either writing the letter now and saving it, or writing in the future (when you plan to apply). My only caution is that you've been working for only about half a year, if you could go on to a full year or get some experience with the optometrists (shadowing?) before you leave - that would be great .

Also word of advice when asking for the letter, make sure you say "are you willing to write a STRONG letter of recommendation for me?" This shows that your serious about a letter from them, and also lets them take into consideration if they have lots of positive things to say to write an amazing letter rather than a mediocre one.