Tips on getting into UT Southwestern.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertvaldez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to get into UT Southwestern in Dallas. I just want to know what
scores, extracurricular activities, work experience, shadowing, volunteering, etc needs to be done that this school looks for.

A list of these activities from those who were accepted to UT Southwestern would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

When are you applying? A list of activities from someone accepted to UTSW will be of no help to you, because there is no "cookie cutter" acceptee. There is no list or guide that will guarantee an acceptance to the school of your choice.

They want to see someone who is passionate about what they do, including volunteer work (clinical and non clinical), leadership, teaching ability, shadowing, research (important for UTSW for the most part), and a good GPA and MCAT score. You should also be somewhat socially adept so you don't bomb your interview (if you get one). <- realize, ALL schools want to see these things, not just UTSW. On top of all this, a school must feel that you would be a good fit for their program too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they're looking for anything different from other medical schools.

1) Strong GPA/MCAT
2) Solid volunteer work. Work with hospitals, homeless shelters, etc. Show that you care.
3) Solid research work where you're actually being given the freedom to explore issues instead of being a drone.
4) Shadowing to show you have seriously thought about what life in medicine will be like.

I did an internship last summer and was able to work with about 10 UT Southwestern medical students. All of them said that you need to try and have some research under your belt. They are heavy into research (the exams reflect this) and they want to have individuals who are capable in research. One guy said he even did research on dinosaurs in Utah. As long as you have research, it doesn't have to be building proteins or anything. I contacted an Astrophysicist at my school and am currently doing research for him. Whatever you want to do, just try to get some research under your belt. This is in conjunction with good GPA/MCAT of course.

I did an internship last summer and was able to work with about 10 UT Southwestern medical students. All of them said that you need to try and have some research under your belt. They are heavy into research (the exams reflect this) and they want to have individuals who are capable in research. One guy said he even did research on dinosaurs in Utah. As long as you have research, it doesn't have to be building proteins or anything. I contacted an Astrophysicist at my school and am currently doing research for him. Whatever you want to do, just try to get some research under your belt. This is in conjunction with good GPA/MCAT of course.

I work in the surgery department at UTSW, and I will have to agree with research being the main factor of getting into this school... It's a big part of the UTSW culture, and most medical students participate in some type of research during their time here. One medical student that I work with told me that her experience in research was the only reason she got into this school. She applied to all of the schools in Texas, and none of them offered her interviews except UTSW. That's actually very odd to me, because her stats would have made her a good candidate anywhere, but her research really pushed her forward for an acceptance.

Another thing I have heard is that every other year they seem to go heavy on wanting high numbers out of their accepted students. They want to keep their stats up and allow themselves to be perceived as a top school based on high numbers. By that I mean, they choose based on MCAT and GPA for a year, then go back to picking people they think will be a good fit the next year (with a lot of experience but maybe not the highest numbers). That med student told me that she noticed this because she does all of the new student orientations, and can see that they do this based on the people she meets. She said every other year the class is a more capable bunch of students (have life experience) and then the next year it's a bunch of young students that have no clue&#8230; But have great stats. Hahaha.

be black or hispanic.

You forgot the most important one.

live in texas :D

Tip: Don't do it. :laugh:

Anyways - it's a research-heavy Top 25 school - you need high numbers, research, and just enough ECs so that you don't come across as a gunner barbarian.

i work in the surgery department at utsw, and i will have to agree with research being the main factor of getting into this school... It’s a big part of the utsw culture, and most medical students participate in some type of research during their time here. One medical student that i work with told me that her experience in research was the only reason she got into this school. She applied to all of the schools in texas, and none of them offered her interviews except utsw. That’s actually very odd to me, because her stats would have made her a good candidate anywhere, but her research really pushed her forward for an acceptance.

Another thing i have heard is that every other year they seem to go heavy on wanting high numbers out of their accepted students. They want to keep their stats up and allow themselves to be perceived as a top school based on high numbers. By that i mean, they choose based on mcat and gpa for a year, then go back to picking people they think will be a good fit the next year (with a lot of experience but maybe not the highest numbers). That med student told me that she noticed this because she does all of the new student orientations, and can see that they do this based on the people she meets. she said every other year the class is a more capable bunch of students (have life experience) and then the next year it’s a bunch of young students that have no clue… but have great stats. Hahaha.

+1

Which "type" are they going for this cycle? haha