Tmdsas 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG.... I just got an interview invites from TA&M @Temple
I'm so excited and my tears are bursting out!!!
Is there a thread where I can ask some interview questions? or I can ask here?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! And I'm sure you can ask questions -- knock yourself out here or ask on the A&M thread.

Congrats! Is this your first interview? Let us know how it goes!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Is this your first interview? Let us know how it goes!!:)

Ya, this is my first and only interview so far.
I just want to know what kind of question do they ask. I will be interviewed at the Temple campus, will it be different from the college station one?

THanks

I just want to know what kind of question do they ask. I will be interviewed at the Temple campus, will it be different from the college station one?
The questions depend on which interviewers you get, not which campus you interview at. I interviewed and was accepted to A&M and the questions from both interviewers were pretty standard. Questions were about my reasons for wanting to go into the medical field, why I thought I'd make a good doctor, how I'd deal with the stress of med school (a very common question), ethics (keep in mind A&M is generally conservative), and about my volunteering and experience. They will probably ask about your VR score.

Hi guys, i applied to utmb, houston, san antonio, southwestern and a&m. i believe only a&m and southwestern have secondaries, but the website is down until tomorrow. do you guys happen to have the prompts so that i can start writing before it gets to be too late? thanks!

for UTSW, I don't have the exact prompt in mind, but it has to do with where do you envision yourself, or where do you prefer to practice, etc.

for A&M
Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.
The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code

Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family, educational disadvantage, or disability. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.)
List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.
i think the last one is optional

Hi guys, i applied to utmb, houston, san antonio, southwestern and a&m. i believe only a&m and southwestern have secondaries, but the website is down until tomorrow. do you guys happen to have the prompts so that i can start writing before it gets to be too late? thanks!

I think the specific threads for each of these schools should have the prompts on or near the first page of the thread.

Ya, this is my first and only interview so far.

THanks

I second the response from Sno about getting asked about your VR score. Be prepared to talk about that and have some good reasoning behind it.

I interviewed at A&M both last cycle and the one before (essentially 3 interviews - since the cycle 2 years ago required an interview at both campuses) and I was never asked an ethical question, so I can't really vouch for that. I did however get several "off-base," if you will, questions (not JUST at TAMUHSC).

- Why did you choose your undergrad school?
- What's your outside of school hobbies? (you better have something!)
- How did your undergrad major help or hurt you for med school app?
- Why is your MCAT so low (outright, worded just like that and asked before he even sat down to talk to me)?
- What's the WEAKEST point of your application? Why did you not work on that?
- What should I tell the admissions committee when they ask if we should accept you and why?

Also be prepared to be able to talk extensively about your research and roles in organization, etc. I got TONS of research questions ranging from tell me about what your role on the team was to tell me about the overall purpose to tell me about the outcome. You need to brush up on your researchers if it's been a few years (e-mail them, find out how it's going, etc.) so that you can be sure you don't lie about the outcomes or publications.

Hope this helps a little. Just relate to your interviewers and talk honestly about the things they bring up. It's not as hard as you think - interview days are actually pretty fun IMO. You'll do great - good luck!

P.S. The Temple campus is way better than the CS campus IMO, so that's a good thing. :)

Here's a couple of good resources:
http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=83
http://gradschool.about.com/cs/medicalinterview/a/medquest.htm
https://career.berkeley.edu/Health/MedInterview.stm

I actually printed the latter two of those out and worked through them writing my answers down on the way to my first interview (I had to fly). It helped me have well-thought answers prepared, it's good if you're the type of person who likes to think a lot before you speak - not much time for that in a 20 minute interview.

I second the response from Sno about getting asked about your VR score. Be prepared to talk about that and have some good reasoning behind it.

I interviewed at A&M both last cycle and the one before (essentially 3 interviews - since the cycle 2 years ago required an interview at both campuses) and I was never asked an ethical question, so I can't really vouch for that. I did however get several "off-base," if you will, questions (not JUST at TAMUHSC).

- Why did you choose your undergrad school?
- What's your outside of school hobbies? (you better have something!)
- How did your undergrad major help or hurt you for med school app?
- Why is your MCAT so low (outright, worded just like that and asked before he even sat down to talk to me)?
- What's the WEAKEST point of your application? Why did you not work on that?
- What should I tell the admissions committee when they ask if we should accept you and why?

Also be prepared to be able to talk extensively about your research and roles in organization, etc. I got TONS of research questions ranging from tell me about what your role on the team was to tell me about the overall purpose to tell me about the outcome. You need to brush up on your researchers if it's been a few years (e-mail them, find out how it's going, etc.) so that you can be sure you don't lie about the outcomes or publications.

Hope this helps a little. Just relate to your interviewers and talk honestly about the things they bring up. It's not as hard as you think - interview days are actually pretty fun IMO. You'll do great - good luck!

P.S. The Temple campus is way better than the CS campus IMO, so that's a good thing. :)

Here's a couple of good resources:
http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=83
http://gradschool.about.com/cs/medicalinterview/a/medquest.htm
https://career.berkeley.edu/Health/MedInterview.stm

I actually printed the latter two of those out and worked through them writing my answers down on the way to my first interview (I had to fly). It helped me have well-thought answers prepared, it's good if you're the type of person who likes to think a lot before you speak - not much time for that in a 20 minute interview.

cool
thanks

whast up everyone.
first time im posting on here. i am applying for the third time and retaking the mcat this coming tuesday.
i have a 27 (9, 6,12) and a 3.5 and one interview at tcom, which i am SO excited about.

just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a pre-match acceptance this cycle :)

whast up everyone.
first time im posting on here. i am applying for the third time and retaking the mcat this coming tuesday.
i have a 27 (9, 6,12) and a 3.5 and one interview at tcom, which i am SO excited about.

just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a pre-match acceptance this cycle :)

Congrats and good luck on your interview. When is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats and good luck on your interview. When is it?

Thank you! It's on September 3rd.
I'm not going to prepare anything for it until my mcat is over though hah

congrats on your A&M interview. good luck !

no longer being a lurker creep....i want to congratulate exi on getting in. that was so awesome

also, aggie'something'...the one with the mdapps that was constantly bashed....congrats on getting in to TT!

always uplifting to here great stories like that.

...ok back to verbal 101

when I add schools post verification... they will transmit my info after they receive payment correct? i do not have to wait for anything else?

Yes, they will send to schools after they receive payment. You don't have to wait for anything else.

What would you consider late for Texas schools in terms of invites? I've been complete since 8/1 and have only received an invite from TCOM. Would it be too early to send a letter of interest?

What would you consider late for Texas schools in terms of invites? I've been complete since 8/1 and have only received an invite from TCOM. Would it be too early to send a letter of interest?

The last time I applied, I received my first interview invite in Late September for mid October. Also, There are several people who interview well into December and still get in. If it helps, I've only had 1 Texas interview at Houston, haven't heard from the rest yet. I have a few out of states but of course, Texas is my preference.

The last time I applied, I received my first interview invite in Late September for mid October. Also, There are several people who interview well into December and still get in. If it helps, I've only had 1 Texas interview at Houston, haven't heard from the rest yet. I have a few out of states but of course, Texas is my preference.

congrats on the houston interview. what was it like? i would LOVE to get an interview there.

congrats on the houston interview. what was it like? i would LOVE to get an interview there.

Thanks:) The Houston interview was awesome. It was soooo laid back. Both my interviewers had conversations with me. It wasn't intimidating at all. The med students that hung around us throughout the day were really cool and answered all of our questions. Houston's my top choice as it's my hometown. So I was really glad that I got this interview, if no other.

Thanks:) The Houston interview was awesome. It was soooo laid back. Both my interviewers had conversations with me. It wasn't intimidating at all. The med students that hung around us throughout the day were really cool and answered all of our questions. Houston's my top choice as it's my hometown. So I was really glad that I got this interview, if no other.

I'm glad you enjoyed interviewing with us! If you or anyone else here has a question about UT-H let me know.

I'm glad you enjoyed interviewing with us! If you or anyone else here has a question about UT-H let me know.

Thanks so much! I do have a question actually. I noted that very few students do class. Are you one of those? How do students interact with each other if not in class? Also, for those who do go to class, what's the frequency and how much time is spent in class? 8-4, 8-2, etc? Thanks for being so willing to answer my questions.

Thanks so much! I do have a question actually. I noted that very few students do class. Are you one of those? How do students interact with each other if not in class? Also, for those who do go to class, what's the frequency and how much time is spent in class? 8-4, 8-2, etc? Thanks for being so willing to answer my questions.

Haha, "Are you one of those?" I am actually. I'm not sure I would say that very few students do class, or atleast not yet(were only a week and a half in). I still see everyone at lunch,and at anatomy and histology labs. If you do go to class, the amount of time you're there depends on the day.

Example of my schedule for the next 2 days, If I went to class:
Thursday
9-10 Biochem
10-11 Biochem
11-12 Histology
12-1 Lunch
1-2 Histology
2-3:30 Histology Lab (never lasts the whole time)
3:30-4 Post Lab

Friday
9-10 Biochem Conference
10-11 Developmental Biology
11-12 Anatomy Lecture
12-1 Lunch
1-1:30 Peer Teaching in Anatomy Lab
1:30-4ish Anatomy Dissection

Don't think that because I'm not in class I'm watching t.v. or something though. I have a group of friends that stream the lecture and we spend the same hours doing that.

Keep the questions coming!

Hi there,
I was wondering if there is a site out there that shows what % of interviewees at a particular school are offered an acceptance at that school.

Just trying to gauge how promising a really positive interview experience at a school is.

Good luck to all!

Have a question about secondaries

I applied through AMCAS, and several schools emailed me saying they received my things and sent me a link to their secondary app pages. I submitted the start of August for TMDSAS and haven't heard anything from any of the schools. I plan on completing as many essays as I can through this weekend, but I'm confused on if I'm supposed to hear back from the schools in any way before I can submit any secondary essays?

Thanks

So I am officially complete with TMDSAS as of yesterday 8/26... primary, secondaries, letters, everything....

Is being complete in late August really late into the cycle? Have I really hurt my chances with this?

Haha, "Are you one of those?" I am actually. I'm not sure I would say that very few students do class, or atleast not yet(were only a week and a half in). I still see everyone at lunch,and at anatomy and histology labs. If you do go to class, the amount of time you're there depends on the day.

Example of my schedule for the next 2 days, If I went to class:
Thursday
9-10 Biochem
10-11 Biochem
11-12 Histology
12-1 Lunch
1-2 Histology
2-3:30 Histology Lab (never lasts the whole time)
3:30-4 Post Lab

Friday
9-10 Biochem Conference
10-11 Developmental Biology
11-12 Anatomy Lecture
12-1 Lunch
1-1:30 Peer Teaching in Anatomy Lab
1:30-4ish Anatomy Dissection

Don't think that because I'm not in class I'm watching t.v. or something though. I have a group of friends that stream the lecture and we spend the same hours doing that.

Keep the questions coming!

LoL I didn't mean anything bad by my 'one of those' comment LoL:oops: Thanks for answering my question. I have a few more but am out of state doing interviews. As soon as I get back in town I'll shoot you another question or two. Thanks again:)

You guys are not gonna believe this.... I just checked my Spam folder... and Tech invite is in there..... JUL 30 :(
I seriously wanted to discontinue my gmail acct.

Conclusion:
CHECK YOUR SPAM EMAIL FOLDER

You guys are not gonna believe this.... I just checked my Spam folder... and Tech invite is in there..... JUL 30 :(
I seriously wanted to discontinue my gmail acct.

Conclusion:
CHECK YOUR SPAM EMAIL FOLDER

oh man that sucks! i assume they are going to understand and give you another date to interview? i sure hope they do that for you.

so glad to get the mcat done! i get my score on sept 29, so that gives me one day to get the scores to TMDSAS...deadline of Oct. 1st....hope this works properly

hope more interviews pop up for all of us next week. :xf:

oh man that sucks! i assume they are going to understand and give you another date to interview? i sure hope they do that for you.

so glad to get the mcat done! i get my score on sept 29, so that gives me one day to get the scores to TMDSAS...deadline of Oct. 1st....hope this works properly

hope more interviews pop up for all of us next week. :xf:

Ya they rescheduled another date for me.
Good luck with everything.
You are helicase man..... everything will be unwind for you!!

Ya they rescheduled another date for me.
Good luck with everything.
You are helicase man..... everything will be unwind for you!!

When are you coming to visit us?! :)

Hey, at least you checked your folder before interview season ended!! That would have been a horrible realization in January!

When are you coming to visit us?! :)

Hey, at least you checked your folder before interview season ended!! That would have been a horrible realization in January!

lol.... ya i know. And usually I clean my spam mail before even looking at them.

Interview date is 9/17
Do you know anything about med student hosting places for us to stay a night or so?

bump...

anyone have a tcom interview tomorrow? ill see you there!

lol.... ya i know. And usually I clean my spam mail before even looking at them.

Interview date is 9/17
Do you know anything about med student hosting places for us to stay a night or so?

I assume they will contact you about, but if they haven't by next week PM me on here and I will give you the housing coordinators email. You could also email Linda Prado and ask her about it. We definitely do it, I have an interviewee staying at my place tomorrow night.

I just got my mcat score from 8/6 and I had THx forward it to TMDSAS. My apps and secondaries are all complete, was just waiting on the mcat score. Any ideas when I should start getting interview requests? I got a 35 on the MCAT, I hope applying this late wont hurt me too much!

I just got my mcat score from 8/6 and I had THx forward it to TMDSAS. My apps and secondaries are all complete, was just waiting on the mcat score. Any ideas when I should start getting interview requests? I got a 35 on the MCAT, I hope applying this late wont hurt me too much!

It takes a couple of days for the schools to receive them from TMDSAS. Make sure that you call the schools to verify that they've uploaded them. 2Texas schools failed to do so for me several weeks after my scores were released to them. It was only when I called that they uploaded them. This includes Southwestern and UTMB Galveston.

It takes a couple of days for the schools to receive them from TMDSAS. Make sure that you call the schools to verify that they've uploaded them. 2Texas schools failed to do so for me several weeks after my scores were released to them. It was only when I called that they uploaded them. This includes Southwestern and UTMB Galveston.

Do we have to then wait for schools to send us secondaries, or can we log onto their site ourselves and set things up once we've been verified? I'm not sure how different TMDSAS protocol is from AMCAS....

Do we have to then wait for schools to send us secondaries, or can we log onto their site ourselves and set things up once we've been verified? I'm not sure how different TMDSAS protocol is from AMCAS....

For Texas schools, you can submit the secondaries even before you submit the primaries. They will not send them to you like AMCAS schools. You must go to the TMDSAS website to get the link to the school secondaries. I believe that somewhere earlier in this thread, the individual links were posted.

The schools that have secondaries are Southwestern, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. Southwestern's is free.

Edit: TCOM has a secondary too.

Last edited:
For Texas schools, you can submit the secondaries even before you submit the primaries. They will not send them to you like AMCAS schools. You must go to the TMDSAS website to get the link to the school secondaries. I believe that somewhere earlier in this thread, the individual links were posted.

The schools that have secondaries are Southwestern, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. Southwestern's is free.

Thanks cher! So for the other schools that don't have a secondary, there is nothing left to do but wait for them to contact me?

Thanks cher! So for the other schools that don't have a secondary, there is nothing left to do but wait for them to contact me?

Exactly, but as I mentioned before, contact them and verify that they've uploaded your new scores.

so I submitted in June and finished all my secondaries in the first week of July...still no response from any of the schools!! so frustrating.

Has anyone actually contacted any of the Texas schools because you will be in the area? I live in NY and just got a UTSA invitation for 10/5. Flying to Texas is obviously kind of an ordeal and I would like to consolidate my interviews (if I get them). If anyone has contacted the Texas schools, I would really appreciate any feedback! Did they help you out? Laugh in your face? How did you contact them? Thanks so much!!

Has anyone actually contacted any of the Texas schools because you will be in the area? I live in NY and just got a UTSA invitation for 10/5. Flying to Texas is obviously kind of an ordeal and I would like to consolidate my interviews (if I get them). If anyone has contacted the Texas schools, I would really appreciate any feedback! Did they help you out? Laugh in your face? How did you contact them? Thanks so much!!

One of the girls in the Republic of Texas thread, maggie I think, contacted all of the schools to let them know that she'd only be in the area for a two week period and most of them seemed to work with her. All I can say is, it wouldn't hurt to do so. You'll never know if you don't try. :)

so I submitted in June and finished all my secondaries in the first week of July...still no response from any of the schools!! so frustrating.

Where all did you apply? How does your app look? Have you contacted any schools to make sure they have processed you?

I'd don't know how well this will work. San Antonio isn't really close to any other schools. Texas is HUGE (as I'm sure you know)....I am in school in Texas, but at least 8 hours away from San Antonio (not sure of exactly how far). So, unless you're planning on being here for a while, I don't know how well this would work. Most schools do interviews on Fridays and none of the schools (except maybe Baylor and UT-Houston) are close enough to each other to actually interview at both in one day.

One of the girls in the Republic of Texas thread, maggie I think, contacted all of the schools to let them know that she'd only be in the area for a two week period and most of them seemed to work with her. All I can say is, it wouldn't hurt to do so. You'll never know if you don't try. :)

Hmm....Maggie lived in south/central Texas. I don't think that's who you are thinking about. I could be wrong though.

Maybe I'm dense, I just don't see how this could possibly work in Texas. "Hi, I'll be in the area....10 hours away...." I don't know. Maybe someone could break it down for you guys if they have done it.

Sorry JCM - hopefully it will work out, but CONGRATS on the UTHSCSA interview. :)

I'd don't know how well this will work. San Antonio isn't really close to any other schools. Texas is HUGE (as I'm sure you know)....I am in school in Texas, but at least 8 hours away from San Antonio (not sure of exactly how far). So, unless you're planning on being here for a while, I don't know how well this would work. Most schools do interviews on Fridays and none of the schools (except maybe Baylor and UT-Houston) are close enough to each other to actually interview at both in one day.

Hmm....Maggie lived in south/central Texas. I don't think that's who you are thinking about. I could be wrong though.

Maybe I'm dense, I just don't see how this could possibly work in Texas. "Hi, I'll be in the area....10 hours away...." I don't know. Maybe someone could break it down for you guys if they have done it.

Sorry JCM - hopefully it will work out, but CONGRATS on the UTHSCSA interview. :)

yes, i did this -- HOWEVER i was living in southeast asia at the time and was trying to get all my interviews scheduled during one trip back to the States.

as aggie08 said, the schools themselves are all many hours apart, so a flight from another part of the country to El Paso, isn't really going to be that much different from a flight from Dallas to El Paso.

furthermore, a couple-hour flight is a whole lot different than a 22-hour flight, a 11 hour train ride, a 4 hour bus ride, multi-country customs procedures, visa approvals to enter/leave the country, and gross time zone interchanges... so just as a warning, the schools may not be as receptive.

Remember: there are LOTS of applicants from across the US in the same boat as you. i know that the interview season feels really expensive, but next year when you realize how much in debt you are with student loans, the couple thousand dollars spent this fall on interviews will be the least of your worries.

now, all that said, if you still want to do this :), this was my experience, which was directed by my premed advisor:

1. on my primary application under the 'special cirumstances' optional essay, i was upfront about the fact that i would be overseas during some of the interview months and requested scheduling consideration if/when the time came for interviews. (but i said it a lot more eloquently/humbly than that, lol!)

2. sat back and waited for interviews

3. i luckily ended up with 4 interview invites (tech, tcom, houston, el paso) that randomly had date options that fell within a 10 day period of each other.

4. I then contacted the other schools (A&M, san antonio, soutwestern, and utmb... didn't apply to baylor), reminded them of my situation, and asked if i could have an interview while home. Here's the actual email i sent to A&M that my premed advisor helped me write:

Dear Mr. Maldonado,

I am a 2009 TAMHSC College of Medicine applicant.

I am currently living in Mae Sai, Thailand for the 2008 summer and fall semesters, while volunteering with the Development and Education Programme for Daughters and Communities (DEPDC), a non-profit organization that combats human trafficking and child prostitution. DEPDC takes in the most impoverished children in Southeast Asia and provides them with the basic necessities of education, housing, and nourishment. My activities include teaching English at the school, and working on behalf of DEPDC with our English speaking benefactors and global partners.

Although this somewhat limits my interviewing schedule, I am planning a trip home to the States to complete interviews in accordance with my visa allowances.

As such I am seeking to cluster my interviews as close together as possible. (I currently have interviews scheduled for August 26, August 27, August 29, and September 4.)

Therefore, if TAMHSC is generously considering me for interview, I would be grateful for the opportunity to schedule such a meet during my time in the country.

Please let know if this is possible.

If you have any questions you can email me at [XXXemailXXX] and I can either reply via email or international call. For more immediate concerns, feel free to contact my pre-med advisor Karen Hudson (979-847-8938) who is aware of my situation and can be contacted on my behalf if urgent and/or needed.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you in the upcoming months!

Sincerely,

[XXXnameXXX]
[XXXemailxxx]
TMDSAS# [XXXXX]

5. 2 of the schools (san antonio and a&m) were AMAZINGLY ACOMODATING and graciously agreed to work me into their interview schedule during those two weeks.
i never heard back from ut southwestern, but my scores aren't exactly southwestern material.
utmb said they were interested in interviewing me--but unfortunately they couldn't get me in during that time, and told me to contact them when i got home (late november) and they would reschedule me, but by then i had other prematches and didn't renew interest.

so on a whole, i'd say asking is kinda hit-and-miss (2 out of 4 schools), even when you have a really good reason. For me it was absolutely necessary. but for you it may or may not be worth the risk... dunno. it's a call you'll have to make yourself. :)

hope this helps! if you have any other specific questions feel free to pm me! good luck!

Last edited:
yes, i did this -- HOWEVER i was living in southeast asia at the time and was trying to get all my interviews scheduled during one trip back to the States.

wtf
how do I not know this about you? You have done EVERYTHING. We need to chit chat about this experience, it sounds like so much fun!!!!

That's an INTENSE interview schedule, too. Crazy.

wtf
how do I not know this about you? You have done EVERYTHING. We need to chit chat about this experience, it sounds like so much fun!!!!

That's an INTENSE interview schedule, too. Crazy.

lol, well i could send out some of my pictures to our class email list serve like somebody did a couple of weeks ago, haha! (that was a little weird... note to 2014ers: don't do something like this) or could be like 'that' guy, haha! (except that i kinda already am:oops:... minus the book writing part, lol!)

yeah, tell me about it: i ended up with one of the weeks having 5 interviews in 5 consecutive days in 5 different cities...:eek: phew, that was rough. but my parents were AWESOME!!!! I was sooooooo blessed to have their support, both emotionally and logistically throughout the process. there is NNNNOOOOOOOOO way i could have done it without them:

when interview days end at 4-5ish pm, you essentially have a handful of hours to get to the next city, and a lot of the smaller cities don't have evening flights!!!

three days in particular i had lubbock/A&M/houston back-to-back. so i drove to lubbock with my dad, and had the interview. then he put me on a plane to college station, and he drove my car back home.

simultaneously, my mom drove to college station, so we'd have her car, i went to the interview, and then we drove to houston in her car.

the other days weren't as bad because of flight schedules and/or being somewhat close to my hometown, but i definately couldn't have done those three days without them!!! i love my parents!!!!