Tmdsas match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icalz

Don't poke the tiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to search the forum for answers, but none of them address my specific question....

I did read that we're supposed to create a rank order list of med schools (that we've interviewed at) even if we don't pre-match, and this is to be done by jan 15th. My question is how? Are we supposed to go into our tmdsas app to create this list? Thanks for any useful info :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that you can do it yet. I'm not entirely certain how the process works, but I'm pretty sure once the match system is up it's on the TMDSAS application website.

I've tried to search the forum for answers, but none of them address my specific question....

I did read that we're supposed to create a rank order list of med schools (that we've interviewed at) even if we don't pre-match, and this is to be done by jan 15th. My question is how? Are we supposed to go into our tmdsas app to create this list? Thanks for any useful info :D

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=629311&page=14

post #658

Members don't see this ad :)
i found the above link to the forum unhelpful, and here is a more detailed outline.

here is an outline of dates to keep in mind for tmdsas:

oct 15 - start oos acceptance notifications
nov 15 (rather 13 or 16 since 15 is a sunday) - start in state acceptance notifications
jan 15 - last date you can hold onto multiple pre-match offers (pick 1 school that has offered you an acceptance)
feb 1 - submit match preference (if you have not heard from all schools you have interviewed at, rank them in order of preference, you will not lose your pre-match schools). if you received all pre-match offers from everywhere you interviewed at, just put your school of choice (1) as #1 in the match...but the match is pretty irrelevant

here is the deadline website:
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/deadlines.html

i found the above link to the forum unhelpful, and here is a more detailed outline.

here is an outline of dates to keep in mind for tmdsas:

oct 15 - start oos acceptance notifications
nov 15 (rather 13 or 16 since 15 is a sunday) - start in state acceptance notifications
jan 15 - last date you can hold onto multiple pre-match offers (pick 1 school that has offered you an acceptance)
feb 1 - submit match preference (if you have not heard from all schools you have interviewed at, rank them in order of preference, you will not lose your pre-match schools). if you received all pre-match offers from everywhere you interviewed at, just put your school of choice (1) as #1 in the match...but the match is pretty irrelevant

here is the deadline website:
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/deadlines.html

I apologize that it was unhelpful. I just wanted the op to see that the option for ranking the schools for match is not yet available. Per TMDSAS it will not be available until Nov 15. I was just trying to avoid writing it out again. I'm glad that you were able to find the information that you needed.

OP, the above link is the e-mail response that I got from TMDSAS regarding the match.

Does BCM participate in the match?

no BCM is a private school - they do everything differently starting with AMCAS

only the public schools in texas participate in the match (all the other schools)

I apologize that it was unhelpful. I just wanted the op to see that the option for ranking the schools for match is not yet available. Per TMDSAS it will not be available until Nov 15. I was just trying to avoid writing it out again. I'm glad that you were able to find the information that you needed.

OP, the above link is the e-mail response that I got from TMDSAS regarding the match.

Oops, sorry if I came across as harsh - I meant that there is more detailed answer out there, and the previous link may not have answered all the op's questions. Sorry again, I really didn't mean to come across as uptight!

Oops, sorry if I came across as harsh - I meant that there is more detailed answer out there, and the previous link may not have answered all the op's questions. Sorry again, I really didn't mean to come across as uptight!

No prob;)Thanks for posting the other info from the application website.:)

Ok, so by Jan 15th we have to complete a rank order list for only the schools that we had interviews with, and then on Feb 1st is the match day. So hypothetically what if place utmb as #2 and utsw as #1, would utmb then decide to pass on me because I didn't rank them number 1?

So i'm guessing we'll receive some type of notification directing us to complete this match list....I don't want to make any missteps now :(

Ok, so by Jan 15th we have to complete a rank order list for only the schools that we had interviews with, and then on Feb 1st is the match day. So hypothetically what if place utmb as #2 and utsw as #1, would utmb then decide to pass on me because I didn't rank them number 1?

So i'm guessing we'll receive some type of notification directing us to complete this match list....I don't want to make any missteps now :(

That won't happen. You will not lose any of your pre-match offers, so if utmb did offer you an acceptance before the match, they will not rescind their offer if they see that you placed them #2.

With the same scenario, if you were NOT offered an acceptance at either utsw or utmb (but interviewed at both) before the match, the way it works is that utmb and utsw ranks all the applicants (like how we rank schools), and they submit that list to tmdsas. tmdsas then 'matches' the schools' rankings with our own ranking, thereby benefiting both applicants and the schools by matching applicants with their highest ranked school that also ranked them high as well.

For example, lets say you have 3 schools and you rank them:

1. utmb
2. utsw
3. tech

and the schools rank you (your rank/total interviewed)

utmb: 600/700 (pretty low)
utsw: 23/700 (pretty good)
tech: 3/700 (pretty good as well)

then, you would get utsw, because it is the highest school on your list that also ranked you high enough. even though tech ranked you higher, you would get utsw because you ranked them higher.

hope that was clear, and correct me if im wrong, but this is my best educated assessment!

Schools don't see how you rank them. That makes things a lot easier, doesn't it?

That won't happen. You will not lose any of your pre-match offers, so if utmb did offer you an acceptance before the match, they will not rescind their offer if they see that you placed them #2.

With the same scenario, if you were NOT offered an acceptance at either utsw or utmb (but interviewed at both) before the match, the way it works is that utmb and utsw ranks all the applicants (like how we rank schools), and they submit that list to tmdsas. tmdsas then 'matches' the schools' rankings with our own ranking, thereby benefiting both applicants and the schools by matching applicants with their highest ranked school that also ranked them high as well.

For example, lets say you have 3 schools and you rank them:

1. utmb
2. utsw
3. tech

and the schools rank you (your rank/total interviewed)

utmb: 600/700 (pretty low)
utsw: 23/700 (pretty good)
tech: 3/700 (pretty good as well)

then, you would get utsw, because it is the highest school on your list that also ranked you high enough. even though tech ranked you higher, you would get utsw because you ranked them higher.

hope that was clear, and correct me if im wrong, but this is my best educated assessment!

Thanks so much!