To all you young future doctors: Will you be getting a prenupt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgpremed11

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or do you live in the world of sunshine and rainbows where love last forever and divorces don't happen?.... Protect your wallet.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt it. Some may say it's practical to have that safeguard "just in case", but I wouldn't be one to enter a marriage based on worst case what-if scenarios. Regardless, I'm still realistic and obviously marriage isn't a straight path of happiness...but it wouldn't feel right to ask for a prenupt.

Choose wisely :O

Members don't see this ad :)
Or do you live in the world of sunshine and rainbows where love last forever and divorces don't happen?.... Protect your wallet.

No prenupt, just offshore accounts and lots of creative laundering.

But no, I probably won't get one. If I get married it will likely be relatively soon, and I don't expect a real paycheck for a good decade. Plenty of time to make sure it'll work.

Kgpremed11 vs HughMyron

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Prob not...

I've been with my SO years before i turned "pre-med"... more like back when I was crystal clear of my original goal to "simply work a 9-5, collect my 40k, and call it quits after a measly bachelors degree".

Nice thing about getting in the game early... don't have to worry if she's a gold digger or not.

As for prenups, their utility in general largely depends on your state of residence. They are hardly the ironclad insurance policy that many seem to think.

Prob not...

I've been with my SO long before i turned "pre-med"... more like back when I was crystal clear of my goal to "simply work a 9-5, collect my 40k, and call it quits after a measly bachelors degree".

Nice thing about getting in the game early... don't have to worry if she's a gold digger or not.

Sloots gonna sloot, just saying

Great point...Make it a priority to not settle down with a sloot.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife...

I thought pre-nups were only useful for people with established assets and not for future earnings. Unless you wait to get married until you're 40+, I would bet that pre-nups aren't going to be that helpful for most of us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm certainly no pre-nup expert.

Great point...Make it a priority to not settle down with a sloot.

Im pretty sure people who get divorced were absoultly sure they married the love of their life and that they would be together forever.

But **** happens people change and people cheat.

Kgpremed11 vs HughMyron

you rang?

Anyways, I plan to enter into an arranged marriage where divorce is culturally reprehensible, so I don't think it will be an issue. If she wants to divorce, fine. I'll be a physically attractive, upper middle class physician who will go to the clubs every week and have plenty of fun. She will be a post-menopausal hag whom no self-respecting man will date.

Members don't see this ad :)
you rang?

Anyways, I plan to enter into an arranged marriage where divorce is culturally reprehensible, so I don't think it will be an issue. If she wants to divorce, fine. I'll be a physically attractive, upper middle class physician who will go to the clubs every week and have plenty of fun. She will be a post-menopausal hag whom no self-respecting man will date.

Lololol

I thought pre-nups were only useful for people with established assets and not for future earnings. Unless you wait to get married until you're 40+, I would bet that pre-nups aren't going to be that helpful for most of us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm certainly no pre-nup expert.

Yea, like I mentioned above... they aren't exactly the level of protection that many folks think they are.

Marry rich. Problem solved.

Yes, pretty much. Two young people with little assets and ok earnings aren't really pre-nup mat'l because the argument is that even if one spouse makes a lot less during the marriage (maybe primary childcare person), then s/he is making it easier for the high-earner to put in the time/effort to earn the big bucks.

The non-doctor-partner's atty isn't going to allow his client to sign something about earnings made during the marriage.

Yes, pretty much. Two young people with little assets and ok earnings aren't really pre-nup mat'l because the argument is that even if one spouse makes a lot less during the marriage (maybe primary childcare person), then s/he is making it easier for the high-earner to put in the time/effort to earn the big bucks.

The non-doctor-partner's atty isn't going to allow his client to sign something about earnings made during the marriage.

Why not, any woman who marries a med student or resident knows whats coming.

You are correct. If you live in a community property state, for example, then that's how property will be divided.

Here's a second question for the thread: How many of you future female doctors would change your name after getting married? I would be ok with my husband taking my name, but I would never change mine.

You are correct. If you live in a community property state, for example, then that's how property will be divided.

Here's a second question for the thread: How many of you future female doctors would change your name after getting married? I would be ok with my husband taking my name, but I would never change mine.

I would refuse to marry a girl who didn't take my name. Fortunately, if you did that in my culture, you would be ostracized and probably disowned by your family.

Anyways, here's the deal. If you try to keep your name, you're probably thinking "hurrr durrr I'm a womyn and I'm empowered! I'm keeping a woman's name!"

But you're not. You're keeping your father's name, and IIRC he's a man. So really, when you refuse to take your husband's name, the only thing you're doing is placing him below your father, and thus implicitly disrespecting the husband.

I would refuse to marry a girl who didn't take my name. Fortunately, if you did that in my culture, you would be ostracized and probably disowned by your family.

Anyways, here's the deal. If you try to keep your name, you're probably thinking "hurrr durrr I'm a womyn and I'm empowered! I'm keeping a woman's name!"

But you're not. You're keeping your father's name, and IIRC he's a man. So really, when you refuse to take your husband's name, the only thing you're doing is placing him below your father, and thus disrespecting him.

Or you're a professional something and don't want to confuse your clients.

That's a special case that I would be happy to make an exception for. But it would only be acceptable if the woman had an already-established business or career that depended on name recognition. If not, well, change yo name bish, or I'm out.

Why would he want to marry someone with more than a middle school education?

If my marriage crumbles, money will be the least of my concerns, so no.

Nobody marries feminist anyway.

Nobody marries feminist anyway.

For once, we agree on something.

And also, IIRC feminists don't marry men either. Remember what they say, "a womyn needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!"

For once, we agree on something.

And also, IIRC feminists don't marry men either. Remember what they say, "a womyn needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!"

:confused:

I thought pre-nups were only useful for people with established assets and not for future earnings. Unless you wait to get married until you're 40+, I would bet that pre-nups aren't going to be that helpful for most of us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm certainly no pre-nup expert

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Why not, any woman who marries a med student or resident knows whats coming.

What's your point? Any woman (or man) who marries a med student/resident knows what? The point is their atty is going to say, "do not sign away your rights to a fair share of what is earned/accumulated during the marriage" - (nice home, savings/investments, etc. ) Again, many times, the non-doctor-spouse has a greater responsibility for child/home responsibilities, and those have value.

When dating, don't tell the girl you're a med student/doctor
Tell them you're a grad student/_____

Only tell them after you get married and have kids

That's a special case that I would be happy to make an exception for. But it would only be acceptable if the woman had an already-established business or career that depended on name recognition. If not, well, change yo name bish, or I'm out.

This is why you're having problems with the ladies.

What's your point? Any woman (or man) who marries a med student/resident knows what? The point is their atty is going to say, "do not sign away your rights to a fair share of what is earned/accumulated during the marriage" - (nice home, savings/investments, etc. ) Again, many times, the non-doctor-spouse has a greater responsibility for child/home responsibilities, and those have value.

so Kobe was f'ed from the beggining? That settles it, never getting married. Its just a piece of paper anyway.

When dating, don't tell the girl you're a med student/doctor
Tell them you're a grad student/_____

Only tell them after you get married and have kids

I think the scrubs, and clinical rotations might give that away.

I swear I've seen you post this exact identical thing in like 5 different threads today. There are a lot of threads around here that may be a little strange, but basically every pre-med topic has been discussed ad nauseam already. If you haven't noticed, the mods don't lock many threads around here, unless things get really out of control. So you can stop posting this in every new thread.

This is why you're having problems with the ladies.

You can't have problems if you don't try.

Anyways, I'm very good at separating my online persona from my IRL one.

so Kobe was f'ed from the beggining? That settles it, never getting married. Its just a piece of paper anyway.

kobe was ALREADY a highly paid Laker when he married Vanessa in 2001. He became a Laker in 96. He could have tried to get a pre-nup because he was already highly paid with LOTS of assets. However, he was married in the Catholic Church and since this was their first marriage/no children, pre-nups aren't permitted.

Depending on your state of residence, you may not even need that "piece of paper" for community property laws to apply. If you cohabitate, open any kind of joint account, and at any time hold yourselves out as a couple, then you are married. :laugh:

Probably not as good as you think. Unless the naivety you project is intentional, which would be surprising.

IRL I pretend to be a quiet, nerdy, traditional, bookish, stereotypically premed Asian kid.

Does anything that I've typed in this forum make me look like the stereotypical future doctor?

No since I want to marry someone who is a doctor, which would mean that our incomes would be roughly the same.

IRL I pretend to be a quiet, nerdy, traditional, bookish, stereotypically premed Asian kid.

Does anything that I've typed in this forum make me look like the stereotypical future doctor?

Hahaha. If you ever come down to Houston though, we need to hit the gym and workout together.

You can't have problems if you don't try.

Anyways, I'm very good at separating my online persona from my IRL one.

While I'm not doubting you, I am sure you can picture why it's questionable when you are a single, virgin 20 year-old.

inb4 people comment about i'm not ready, saving it for marriage, don't care, etc.

No since I want to marry someone who is a doctor, which would mean that our incomes would be roughly the same.

Hahaha. If you ever come down to Houston though, we need to hit the gym and workout together.

Good Idea but that would limit you to only female med students, residents, doctors,

Nope. I ain't marrying no gold digger.

This may sound odd, but I honestly don't want to marry anyone who isn't a doctor.

Why???

Honestly I would be fine with marrying most people except for people of some certain race/religion/class backgrounds. But it doesn't matter, because it's not my decision to make.

This may sound odd, but I honestly don't want to marry anyone who isn't a doctor.

that doesn't mean that you'll both always be earning the same. My family knows a good number female doctors (some of them married to doctors, one married to a PA, etc). Most of the female doctors didn't earn big incomes at various points in the marriages - usually cutting back or not working at all when the children were young. The ONLY one who worked full time throughout her career is the one married to the PA (he worked for her), but by doing so, it allowed her the flexibility with their children.

And then the inquiring minds asked, why?

1) I value success and ambition and an interest in science.

2) We'd understand each other's problems. For example, someone who's an artist might get mad at me for having to put in 80+ hours a week during residency (or 60+ hours in practice as an attending) and, for not being there for her, while someone who's a resident/doctor won't.

3) Also, it would be pretty cool to be able to talk about interesting medical stuff without having to pause every 5 seconds to explain what a certain concept means.

that doesn't mean that you'll both always be earning the same. My family knows a good number female doctors (some of them married to doctors, one married to a PA, etc). Most of the female doctors didn't earn big incomes at various points in the marriages - usually cutting back or not working at all when the children were young. The ONLY one who worked full time throughout her career is the one married to the PA (he worked for her), but by doing so, it allowed her the flexibility with their children.

I don't want kids though - and if I somehow end up having them, I'd cut back my hours to spend more time with them. I honestly wouldn't mind working part time while my wife works part time since I don't think that being a man entails having to earn the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.