mpsu2014

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm sure plenty of people sit in the same boat as myself , but here we go with this dilemma post+pity+:

Do I put down the money to hold my spot on my first acceptance due to fear of not gaining acceptance anywhere else/somewhere higher on my list? I understand the deposit is such a small amount in comparison to the larger picture, but I would still rather not put down thousands on schools as we go through the application cycle.

I've been back and forth on the idea of holding out for more interviews/acceptances (currently with 2 other IIs in the first week of November, 1MD 1DO).

Any advice or prior experiences (even horror stories) accepted! Thank you in advanced.

2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2015
I personally would if I had not secured another acceptance even if it was not a school I was particularly interested in. However, I would wait until like 1-2 days before it was due.

Reactions: 1 users

Endorphins98

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Snowtown
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For DO, if you are accepted before Nov, you have until Dec 14th to make your deposit to hold your seat (if I am correct). I don't know the traffic regulations for MD though. If it were me and I had a DO acceptance, I would wait until that Dec date and then put down the money. Either way, CONGRATS!!! You got accepted to a medical school! I am facing a similar situation, but it is seriously a wonderful problem to have, and one I never thought I would have.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

ortnakas

DO PGY-3
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If it's a school you're willing to go to, yes. While you might end up losing $1,500 if you choose to go elsewhere, you're better off than the reverse scenario of having $1,500 but matriculating nowhere.

oceanman

5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For DO, if you are accepted before Nov, you have until Dec 14th to make your deposit to hold your seat (if I am correct). I don't know the traffic regulations for MD though. If it were me and I had a DO acceptance, I would wait until that Dec date and then put down the money. Either way, CONGRATS!!! You got accepted to a medical school! I am facing a similar situation, but it is seriously a wonderful problem to have, and one I never thought I would have.
Not necessarily for all schools. CUSOM only gives you until Nov. 15th to make a decision even if you were accepted before November.

GucciKitty

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 14, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm in the same situation. I have been accepted to my top DO choice and would easily make the deposit, but it's 500 dollars.I have interviewed at Saint Louis University (recently) and have an interview at my home state MD school (a lot cheaper)...I am thankful to be in this dilemma, but not sure if I'll hear back from SLU or UW before December 14th. So right now, I'm waiting to put down the 500 until December if I havent heard from the other schools.

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is not true in any way. What you are quoting are just the standard guidelines set forth by AACOMAS and recommended for schools to follow. Schools have the opportunity to pick and choose when they want to receive their deposits. I wish they all followed these guidelines, though.

Endorphins98

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Snowtown
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is not true in any way. What you are quoting are just the standard guidelines set forth by AACOMAS and recommended for schools to follow. Schools have the opportunity to pick and choose when they want to receive their deposits. I wish they all followed these guidelines, though.

Not true in any way?? There are plenty of schools that follow the AACOMAS guidlines so I wouldn't go as far as saying that... If you get accepted, the school will let you know when the deposit is due so one way or another you find out. I was definitely in error to assume that all schools follow this guideline!

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Not true in any way?? There are plenty of schools that follow the AACOMAS guidlines so I wouldn't go as far as saying that... If you get accepted, the school will let you know when the deposit is due so one way or another you find out. I was definitely in error to assume that all schools follow this guideline!
I nay have over-stated, but I meant as far as this being a mandatory guideline.

Reactions: 1 user

Halcyon45

sc2?
2+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
Just to be clear... If you receive an acceptance and they say you have until December... You can't lose your spot even if the class is known to fill pretty early, right? I heard the schools I got accepted to fill their class pretty early and I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot because I submitted my deposit a little before the deadline. Sorry, I know it's a stupid question.

swiftjab

5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2014
Just to be clear... If you receive an acceptance and they say you have until December... You can't lose your spot even if the class is known to fill pretty early, right? I heard the schools I got accepted to fill their class pretty early and I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot because I submitted my deposit a little before the deadline. Sorry, I know it's a stupid question.
You might lose your spot, but the chance of that happening is very small.

A

AnatomyGrey12

I'm pretty sure this would be illegal... They can't say you are accepted and have until xxxxx date to confirm and then pull the rug because you only confirmed 5 days before the date.

RurouniKarly

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You might lose your spot, but the chance of that happening is very small.

No, that would not happen. They can't rescind an acceptance after it has been offered unless you MISS the deadline, or something comes up like criminal charges, evidence of lying on application materials, or inability to meet the technical standards.

Halcyon45

sc2?
2+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
No, that would not happen. They can't rescind an acceptance after it has been offered unless you MISS the deadline, or something comes up like criminal charges, evidence of lying on application materials, or inability to meet the technical standards.

Alright thanks!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.