This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JN1129

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Was hoping to get some advice about what to do with the year coming up. I am applying next month to both MD and DO, though MD is preferred and have also applied for a post-bac master's starting this fall. I think if I do well in the post-bac, I have a really good shot at getting into that same school for MD. But, I'd much rather work for the year because I've been in school for a while now. Here are my stats. Let me know what you think.

School:

- 3.5 undergrad GPA, Bio major

- MBA with a focus in Health Care admin

- currently doing a 1-year MSc in the UK (school is ranked in top 10 of global university rankings) w/ 4.0 equivalent GPA, leadership position, observations, volunteering, and research dissertation project this summer.

Work experience:

- chemist in biotech lab

- clinical assistant

- lots of shadowing hours

MCAT:

- first score 503 but just retook last month with practice scores up around 508 so hoping for something closer to that on the second test.

--------

I really don't want to do a third Master's degree, but I don't want to risk not getting in and having to wait another year if I don't do the post-bac program.

Also, my husband will be doing a postgrad degree starting this September at this same school where I am applying. Do you think this will help my chances of getting into the med school there? If so, when do I mention it? If I get into school in a different city, he will transfer schools if there's a program in that city ranked equally or higher than the program he starts this fall. He'll be applying this fall for transfers just in case.

Anyone think there is a specific score for me on this second MCAT that is the dividing line between these two options?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools seem to be within your reach based on numbers. MD schools will be more difficult, but cant say anything without most recent mcat score. Some schools tend to average MCAT scores so you have a larger hole to dig out of because of the 503.

DO schools seem to be within your reach based on numbers. MD schools will be more difficult, but cant say anything without most recent mcat score. Some schools tend to average MCAT scores so you have a larger hole to dig out of because of the 503.

Thanks for the input. That's why I'm asking about the post-bac program since the grades/scores are more along DO right now... If I do the program I think my chances for MD increase, just not sure if I should take out more loans and give up another year of possibly making and saving some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. That's why I'm asking about the post-bac program since the grades/scores are more along DO right now... If I do the program I think my chances for MD increase, just not sure if I should take out more loans and give up another year of possibly making and saving some money.
the problem isnt only the 3.5 gpa. The problem is the 503 mcat. If you score in the 512+ range MD school application becomes more compelling since the average would be around 508 (515/2). This also depends on your state of legal residence and any other characteristics.
Your liklihood of an acceptance based on your gpa first mcat is 30~ish percent and even if we ignore the first mcat and you get a 508 is 40~ percent. This really depends on your state of residence too.
You also have not listed any volunteering.
upload_2018-4-29_12-26-41.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
the problem isnt only the 3.5 gpa. The problem is the 503 mcat. If you score in the 512+ range MD school application becomes more compelling since the average would be around 508 (515/2). This also depends on your state of legal residence and any other characteristics.
Your liklihood of an acceptance based on your gpa first mcat is 30~ish percent and even if we ignore the first mcat and you get a 508 is 40~ percent. This really depends on your state of residence too.
You also have not listed any volunteering.
View attachment 232969

I have lots of volunteering, observational, and working hours. Most people say that the undergrad GPA holds the most weight, but how does my 4.0 in a Master's of Science factor in? I've read lots of conflicting views about much weight a Master's GPA holds. Plus it includes a research-based dissertation at a leading research hospital that may lead to a publication...

State of residence is PA.

Hi everyone! Was hoping to get some advice about what to do with the year coming up. I am applying next month to both MD and DO, though MD is preferred and have also applied for a post-bac master's starting this fall. I think if I do well in the post-bac, I have a really good shot at getting into that same school for MD. But, I'd much rather work for the year because I've been in school for a while now. Here are my stats. Let me know what you think.

School:

- 3.5 undergrad GPA, Bio major

- MBA with a focus in Health Care admin

- currently doing a 1-year MSc in the UK (school is ranked in top 10 of global university rankings) w/ 4.0 equivalent GPA, leadership position, observations, volunteering, and research dissertation project this summer.

Work experience:

- chemist in biotech lab

- clinical assistant

- lots of shadowing hours

MCAT:

- first score 503 but just retook last month with practice scores up around 508 so hoping for something closer to that on the second test.

--------

I really don't want to do a third Master's degree, but I don't want to risk not getting in and having to wait another year if I don't do the post-bac program.

Also, my husband will be doing a postgrad degree starting this September at this same school where I am applying. Do you think this will help my chances of getting into the med school there? If so, when do I mention it? If I get into school in a different city, he will transfer schools if there's a program in that city ranked equally or higher than the program he starts this fall. He'll be applying this fall for transfers just in case.

Anyone think there is a specific score for me on this second MCAT that is the dividing line between these two options?

Thank you!!!
You don't need a post-bac or SMP, you need a better MCAT score is you're boning for MD. As of right now, you're fine for any DO school.

You should be getting a 510+, ideally 513+.

For the bolded text, I think unlikely.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't need a post-bac or SMP, you need a better MCAT score is you're boning for MD. As of right now, you're fine for any DO school.

You should be getting a 510+, ideally 513+.

For the bolded text, I think unlikely.

OK, thank you! That is the other option that I forgot to mention. If I don't do the program then I will think about taking the MCAT again in September since the last accepted score is in that month for most schools. Unless this second score is up around 510...Would be beneficial for me to have a bit of time in September to study without any other distractions because my current course has a heavy workload.

Last edited:
I have lots of volunteering, observational, and working hours. Most people say that the undergrad GPA holds the most weight, but how does my 4.0 in a Master's of Science factor in? I've read lots of conflicting views about much weight a Master's GPA holds. Plus it includes a research-based dissertation at a leading research hospital that may lead to a publication...

State of residence is PA.

upload_2018-4-29_12-47-30.png

Most schools will not care for graduate GPAs or degrees.
Even at 508 you are almost an entire standard deviation below the matriculant mean.

OK, thank you! That is the other option that I forgot to mention. If I don't do the program then I will think about taking the MCAT again in September since the last accepted score is in that month for most schools. Unless this second score is up around 510...
You should take a step back, taking the mcat multiple times in a year is going to look reckless especially without massive improvement.

You can apply MD, its just that the odds are not very good.

If you really want an MD you should investigatee linkage post bac programs that guarantee seats into MD shcools. Otherwise as it stands currently DO matriculation is much more likely.

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 232976

Most schools will not care for graduate GPAs or degrees.
Even at 508 you are almost an entire standard deviation below the matriculant mean.

You should take a step back, taking the mcat multiple times in a year is going to look reckless especially without massive improvement.

You can apply MD, its just that the odds are not very good.

If you really want an MD you should investigatee linkage post bac programs that guarantee seats into MD shcools. Otherwise as it stands currently DO matriculation is much more likely.

The post-bac I've applied to does have linkage. This year's med class has about 35 students from the program last year.

The post-bac I've applied to does have linkage. This year's med class has about 35 students from the program last year.
how many total students do they take in the postbac class? do they only have 35 or do they have 350?

how many total students do they take in the postbac class? do they only have 35 or do they have 350?

I think it's around 150 and appx. 80 people were offered interviews. The MCAT is tough since I've only been studying for it while in school full-time, so I know my score isn't my best effort. However, I'm confident in my ability to do very well in the post-bac program since I've changed my study habits a lot since undergrad and all of my grades since then trend upwards.

I think it's around 150 and appx. 80 people were offered interviews. The MCAT is tough since I've only been studying for it while in school full-time, so I know my score isn't my best effort. However, I'm confident in my ability to do very well in the post-bac program since I've changed my study habits a lot since undergrad and all of my grades since then trend upwards.
The reality is that even with a post bac, the previous performance on the mcat will always be evaluated making it difficult to overcome. The best option would be if you had a steller MCAT to compensate for the lower gpa. You might want to apply MD and see what happens, but going to one of the established DO schools might be more obtainable.

The reality is that even with a post bac, the previous performance on the mcat will always be evaluated making it difficult to overcome. The best option would be if you had a steller MCAT to compensate for the lower gpa. You might want to apply MD and see what happens, but going to one of the established DO schools might be more obtainable.

Ok, thanks again. I appreciate your honesty. Fingers crossed for the score coming back soon.