This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

17ILMP123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Let me introduce myself: I'm a Romanian starting 10th grade(out of 12) in a few months. I've been thinking about going to a medical university in the US. I've been looking at the MCAT study plan (the one to study in 3 months). I've been thinking to buy all the required materials to start studying now(even through I don't think I'll take the MCAT test in 3 months). I'm going to ask some questions(not only about the MCAT test):
1) Is it a good idea? Can the materials get outdated by the time I will take the test?
2) Do you suggest that I take both the SAT and ACT test?
3) When would be a great time to take the tests(SAT, ACT(optional), MCAT and TOEFL)?
4) Do you have a better plan(Like doing university in EU(or even in my country) and then doing residency in US(I wouldn't really like to do this, it was just an example))?
5) Do you have any more suggestions for international students?

P.S.: There is no place to take the MCAT in my country and I think I'll have to take it in another country if I want to, do you have any suggestions about that.

I'd like some suggestions from international students that had the same problem as me as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No please don't start studying for the mcat a almost a decade before you apply lol. It's not recommended to study a YEAR ahead
- you will forget what you learn there is no point
- not just the resources becoming outdated but the test might change
- you're in 10th grade! Focus on doing well in hs
- you might not want to be a doctor anyomore in a few years
- do not carry this attitude with you. You will have a miserable time and others will hate you. No one likes gunners even fellow gunners because of competition between them.

I have no idea if you're trolling but this is one of those times where I wish OP is trolling

Nope, not trolling... The thing is that I'm confused about what I should do. By the way, I'm sure I'll stick with the idea of being a medic! My dream is being a medic in the US and I have this dream from a long time ago. I just don't know when to start learning and do all I have to do to study at a medical university in the US. I just want to get my dream true and I don't know where to start. This is one of the things I don't want to get wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess other people did not understand what you really meant or maybe I am wrong.

First according to your post, it looks like the in your country people go to Medical University after High School. That is why you were planning to take MCAT and apply for Medical School in US. If that is the case, then you know the best what timeline to follow. You can get started studying for MCAT, but you must have a solid timeline when are you going to take MCAT and you should research more about international students and their admission into US medical school.

If you can be little more specific about timeline according to your country, more people would be able to help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, pretty late response but I've been to sleep(different timezones).

ICUBlue, do you have any suggestions for materials that I should read? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Hasiniii, after highschool we have to go to university. In 12th grade we take a test called the "Baccalaureate" and after that we have to apply to universities. I just don't know when to take the MCAT, SAT/ACT and TOEFL because I heard it's not good to take them a long time before applying to a highschool. How is the system in US?

Last edited:
Ahhh mai un roman pe aici! Ce bine :D

The American system for med school is quite different than that of Romania. You have to have a degree from an undergraduate institution before you apply for med school; you don't go directly into 6 years of med school like you do in Romania. You are FAR too young to start studying for the MCAT. It covers material you learn only in college, not high school. Take the SATs/ACTs if you want to go to college in America, but they have no impact on med school. If I were you, I would complete medical school in Romania or Europe, right out of high school, and while doing that, make sure you take your USMLEs. This way, you save a lot of money and a couple of years of your life too (6 years to complete med school vs 8 years). Getting into medical school in America is very difficult as an international student, even if you go to school in the states. You would still be considered an international applicant.

PM me if you want more information; my mom went to med school in Romania and she's now a physician in the US.

Edit: You're also too young to worry about the SATs/ACTs. They're usually taken at the end of the 3rd year of high school or at the beginning of the 4th year. Reasonably, the earliest you should take it is the fall of your 3rd year. I would just read as many English books as you can. It'll help you a lot down the line. Something I wish I had done...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for taking your time and answering my topic! (Sorry for answering so late)

GregtheTruck, I think it would be easier to chat on PM or another form of instant chat(even easier). I have lots of questions!

Gmianosi, I will PM you, I have lots of questions for you as well! :D I'm glad there is another Romanian here.