Too low of stats to apply in June ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewDent02

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-3.04 sGPA
-3.3 BCP
-3.39 OGPA
-22 DAT
-Strong upward trend 2.7 freshman year, 3.54 sophomore year, and probably a 3.65 junior year.
-Strong letters of rec
-150+ hours shadowing / volunteering over 2 years
- Lots of extracurricular (2 jobs, pre dental club leadership, biology club, etc...)
- applying to 15-20 schools
-Ohio resident
 
I think you stand a decent chance. The sGPA is pretty low but a very solid DAT. Are there more science courses you can take to raise it? I know it's easier said than done but I would shoot for higher than a 3.65, maybe like a 3.8. This will show very strong improvement.
 
Anecdotally, I have similar stats (3.32 BCP/science, 3.39 overall, 25 AA) and I received four pre-December interviews and two January interviews with no acceptances so far. I think it's possible if you are a great at interviews and really stand out, but it will be hard and you will likely face a lot of rejection.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you should take more courses to get that gpa up a drop. I think that adcoms look at GPA when accepting.
 
I had around a 3.4 ogpa and 3.3 science with a 22AA and had 6 pre December interviews, 6 acceptances, and 2 post December interviews (which I have declined). It’s definitely possible, just make sure you have a decent PS and strong LORs and be smart about where you apply
 
I had a pretty low science GPA (3.25) and got a 20 on the DAT. I applied last year and didn’t get in anywhere, applied this year with about 1600 more “shadowing” hours (worked as a dental assistant), and got accepted this year. I definitely think it’s worth a shot to apply! I worked very hard outside of school, and it looks like you do too, and I feel that helped me get in this time around. Go for it!
 
I had a pretty low science GPA (3.25) and got a 20 on the DAT. I applied last year and didn’t get in anywhere, applied this year with about 1600 more “shadowing” hours (worked as a dental assistant), and got accepted this year. I definitely think it’s worth a shot to apply! I worked very hard outside of school, and it looks like you do too, and I feel that helped me get in this time around. Go for it!
I’m no where near the 1600 hours though... Do you mind telling me where you applied ?
 
I’m no where near the 1600 hours though... Do you mind telling me where you applied ?
my state school UNMC, Creighton, Roseman, Marquette, Loma Linda, Louisville... maybe one or two more I can’t think of lol I didn’t apply to many this year because I applied to like 14 last year and it was expensive and got me nowhere