Too low of stats to apply in June ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-3.04 sGPA
-3.3 BCP
-3.39 OGPA
-22 DAT
-Strong upward trend 2.7 freshman year, 3.54 sophomore year, and probably a 3.65 junior year.
-Strong letters of rec
-150+ hours shadowing / volunteering over 2 years
- Lots of extracurricular (2 jobs, pre dental club leadership, biology club, etc...)
- applying to 15-20 schools
-Ohio resident

Members don't see this ad.

I think you stand a decent chance. The sGPA is pretty low but a very solid DAT. Are there more science courses you can take to raise it? I know it's easier said than done but I would shoot for higher than a 3.65, maybe like a 3.8. This will show very strong improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotally, I have similar stats (3.32 BCP/science, 3.39 overall, 25 AA) and I received four pre-December interviews and two January interviews with no acceptances so far. I think it's possible if you are a great at interviews and really stand out, but it will be hard and you will likely face a lot of rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should take more courses to get that gpa up a drop. I think that adcoms look at GPA when accepting.

I had around a 3.4 ogpa and 3.3 science with a 22AA and had 6 pre December interviews, 6 acceptances, and 2 post December interviews (which I have declined). It’s definitely possible, just make sure you have a decent PS and strong LORs and be smart about where you apply

Reactions: 1 user
I had a pretty low science GPA (3.25) and got a 20 on the DAT. I applied last year and didn’t get in anywhere, applied this year with about 1600 more “shadowing” hours (worked as a dental assistant), and got accepted this year. I definitely think it’s worth a shot to apply! I worked very hard outside of school, and it looks like you do too, and I feel that helped me get in this time around. Go for it!

I had a pretty low science GPA (3.25) and got a 20 on the DAT. I applied last year and didn’t get in anywhere, applied this year with about 1600 more “shadowing” hours (worked as a dental assistant), and got accepted this year. I definitely think it’s worth a shot to apply! I worked very hard outside of school, and it looks like you do too, and I feel that helped me get in this time around. Go for it!
I’m no where near the 1600 hours though... Do you mind telling me where you applied ?

I’m no where near the 1600 hours though... Do you mind telling me where you applied ?
my state school UNMC, Creighton, Roseman, Marquette, Loma Linda, Louisville... maybe one or two more I can’t think of lol I didn’t apply to many this year because I applied to like 14 last year and it was expensive and got me nowhere