Took my first practice test.. DAT in 9 days. Need advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auntymarkovnikov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My exam is on the 18th (Today is the 9th)
I took my first full-length practice exam and I'm getting a little worried.
It was from Bootcamp, here are my scores:
Bio: 19
GC: 22
OC: 24
PAT: 21
RC: 16
QR: 16

I got my butt handed to me on RC. Didn't finish RC or QR. I guess in my defense ive never done rc or qr tests before.
I'm aiming for a 24AA. This isn't remotely close. Should I keep taking practice tests for the next 4 days until i finish bootcamp?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (especially with those last two). I'm almost done with destroyer for sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my butt handed to me on RC. Didn't finish RC or QR. I guess in my defense ive never done rc or qr tests before.
I'm aiming for a 24AA. This isn't remotely close. Should I keep taking practice tests for the next 4 days until i finish bootcamp?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (especially with those last two). I'm almost done with destroyer for sciences.
Anti, shush. You're doing great on the sciences, since this was your first full-length. QR comes better with timing, as does RC. Take it from me :happy:

Reactions: 1 user

Have you done math destroyer tests? Which type of problems do you struggle on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done math destroyer tests? Which type of problems do you struggle on?
Yea i did some. I havent finished yet.
My lowest scores were quantitive comparison (5/10), probability and stats (3/9), and applied mathematics (0/5)... idk what applied mathematics even is.
Tbh i think i got lucky on bio cuz my last bio test was a 13

Yea i did some. I havent finished yet.
My lowest scores were quantitive comparison (5/10), probability and stats (3/9), and applied mathematics (0/5)... idk what applied mathematics even is.
Tbh i think i got lucky on bio cuz my last bio test was a 13

Try the mapping technique for RC. Your GC, bio, and OC are all good. For QR, just practice.

Why did you start BC so late? Have you done exams 6-10?

Try the mapping technique for RC. Your GC, bio, and OC are all good. For QR, just practice.

Why did you start BC so late? Have you done exams 6-10?
Do you mean individual subject exams 6-10?
I think I did a couple but my scores were so pathetic so I focused on destroyer. I did the mapping. I must have done it wrong.

Do you have any advice on how I should use BC these next upcoming days?
I'm gonna focus on destroyer for QR and bio

Personally I would not even look at destroyer for QR, it is outdated and harder than what you will see. It doesn't have any QC. BC is your best bet for QR. Personally, I would just do the other full length BC exams each day and see what I did wrong. And then I would move on to 6-10 BC exams. I learned so much from BC 6-10 Bio section. They have really good explanations for the questions.

And for RC, basically read the first five paragraphs, and write a few words about each one. Then try to answer as much questions as you can. Then basically do a combination of S&D and continue reading the article.

There are only so many types of QR questions. You just gotta learn how to do them, then do them quickly!

Math Destroyer has been so good for me. I have improved my QR score by 2 points consistently after only going through 7 of the tests so far. I would highly suggest it. It helps lots with timing too. You will do great on your DAT!

RC/QR are also my weaknesses haha. For the QC questions, do you guys think doing GRE practice is good?

Personally I would not even look at destroyer for QR, it is outdated and harder than what you will see. It doesn't have any QC. BC is your best bet for QR. Personally, I would just do the other full length BC exams each day and see what I did wrong. And then I would move on to 6-10 BC exams. I learned so much from BC 6-10 Bio section. They have really good explanations for the questions.

And for RC, basically read the first five paragraphs, and write a few words about each one. Then try to answer as much questions as you can. Then basically do a combination of S&D and continue reading the article.
Sorry i meant math destroyer. Ok i'm definitely going to try and do every bootcamp exam up until my test date. I tried that method and it didnt really work. Maybe i just need to keep practicing it. What do you think about doing a full length one day, then the next day doing all the tests 6's and keep alternating until complete? I'll would balance this with math destroyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Math Destroyer has been so good for me. I have improved my QR score by 2 points consistently after only going through 7 of the tests so far. I would highly suggest it. It helps lots with timing too. You will do great on your DAT!
do you plan on doing all of them?

Do you mean individual subject exams 6-10?
I think I did a couple but my scores were so pathetic so I focused on destroyer. I did the mapping. I must have done it wrong.
Hey! I have some advice for you for RC. I started off Bootcamp with really really bad scores so I feel for you, you can google my posts and you'll see for yourself lol. But ok here's how I did it. I used to spend 10 minutes reading the whole thing and taking notes so freaking detailed as if I were sitting in lecture! Gave up on that obviously. So then what I started to do was I would scroll through the page super quickly to get an idea of how many paragraphs I was dealing with. Then I would try to read the first sentence of each paragraph if time allowed and I would take notes. If not I would just jot down any word that caught my eye as important and if it seemed super important maybe I would read that sentence then move on. Do this for every paragraph and try not to go over 5 minutes doing this. Then spend the rest of the time (15 mins) answering questions and use the key words that you've noted as a guide as to where you need to be looking. And do one RC test everyday until your test. Maybe buy qvault or crack if you can cause those are longer paragorahs just in case you get a long one so you don't freak out. Ik I rambled on but I was in your exact position and I cried so much after each test I swear my neighbors probably think I'm insane. Good luck you'll be fine!

Reactions: 2 users
do you plan on doing all of them?
Yup! I think doing all 18 with BC and practicing the new QC questions that orgoman22 posted will prepare you well for the QR section. Also the formula sheet on DAT BC has been very helpful. I think QR is a section that can really help your AA if you can get it down. Practice has really built my confidence in that section.

Hey! I have some advice for you for RC. I started off Bootcamp with really really bad scores so I feel for you, you can google my posts and you'll see for yourself lol. But ok here's how I did it. I used to spend 10 minutes reading the whole thing and taking notes so freaking detailed as if I were sitting in lecture! Gave up on that obviously. So then what I started to do was I would scroll through the page super quickly to get an idea of how many paragraphs I was dealing with. Then I would try to read the first sentence of each paragraph if time allowed and I would take notes. If not I would just jot down any word that caught my eye as important and if it seemed super important maybe I would read that sentence then move on. Do this for every paragraph and try not to go over 5 minutes doing this. Then spend the rest of the time (15 mins) answering questions and use the key words that you've noted as a guide as to where you need to be looking. And do one RC test everyday until your test. Maybe buy qvault or crack if you can cause those are longer paragorahs just in case you get a long one so you don't freak out. Ik I rambled on but I was in your exact position and I cried so much after each test I swear my neighbors probably think I'm insane. Good luck you'll be fine!
I freaking love this idea.. I'm gonna try it out, thanks!!

Yup! I think doing all 18 with BC and practicing the new QC questions that orgoman22 posted will prepare you well for the QR section. Also the formula sheet on DAT BC has been very helpful. I think QR is a section that can really help your AA if you can get it down. Practice has really built my confidence in that section.
I just found out that TS and PAT don't affect your AA. I really need to get my QR up there. Low key trippin out but I'm gonna try and get all 18 down. Idk how you guys do these math destroyer tests timed...

I just found out that TS and PAT don't affect your AA. I really need to get my QR up there. Low key trippin out but I'm gonna try and get all 18 down. Idk how you guys do these math destroyer tests timed...

Agreed lol, I take a while doing each math destroyer test and do them using my formula sheet as well..... should probably start doing them timed w/o any assistance haha

I usually average like 27/40 when I do them timed..pretty bad. But it has helped with timing when I do BC so I would suggest doing it.

I meant Math destroyer as well is outdated. it has too many trig/geometry that will just waste your time.

But you still need to know trig/geometry... it will show up indirectly which means you should know it even more right? How will you approach the question if you don't know the foundation

But you still need to know trig/geometry... it will show up indirectly which means you should know it even more right? How will you approach the question if you don't know the foundation

There will be probably only be 1 or 2 questions on trig/geometry. And you just need to know the basics, like sin= o/h and what not.

I got very few questions related to trig/geometry like you should be able to find lengths of a triangle using an angle given to you. It was a lot of area/perimeter questions, couple probability, couple of 10% is A, 40% is B, 5% is A&B, how much is neither? etc
I did 17 of the 18 des tests, and 4QR tests on BC, and the released QC questions. I did do them timed, be sure you do because I found it really hard to manage my time for this section- I was so tired (it was hard on the other sections too).

did you time yourself on math destroyer? i'm working on it as we speak... i've been doing it all morning. i feel like if i timed myself on destroyer i would have a heart attack and collapse.

I got very few questions related to trig/geometry like you should be able to find lengths of a triangle using an angle given to you. It was a lot of area/perimeter questions, couple probability, couple of 10% is A, 40% is B, 5% is A&B, how much is neither? etc
I did 17 of the 18 des tests, and 4QR tests on BC, and the released QC questions. I did do them timed, be sure you do because I found it really hard to manage my time for this section- I was so tired (it was hard on the other sections too).
Any lengthy word problems? It takes me like 5 mins or so to solve these in math destroyer I have no idea how I can do those in a minute.

Would you say going through tests 1-10 of destroyer for a second time would be enough? My test is next Sunday and I want to just redo all of BC QR and go through 1-10 of destroyer again and I don't know if I should somehow magically find a way to squeeze more destroyer tests in!!

I'd say that instead of redoing tests you've done, you should do the remaining 8 (maybe skip 12- that was insanely hard), and then go through mistakes for all 18. Like, don't do the tests you've already done once. Do problems that you haven't seen before. Destroyer has the same mix of questions in just about every test, so you'll still be tested on the same concepts, just with new wording. Hope this helps!
So would you say to skip Bootcamp as well?

Noooo don't skip BC, they have QC problems that Des doesn't have. So here,
Do tests 11, 13-18. If you've done FL, then good. Do the BC tests you haven't done yet if you don't have time. I didn't redo any of the tests I took (QR, BIO, GC, OC- none), I just looked at their solutions and tried to memorize them and also see what I got wrong so I wouldn't miss it again.
Haha ok sounds good thanks:)

I'm taking mine on September 5th as well, and I'm trying to study with Kaplan (I borrow the books from a friend) would you suggest to use anything else? I'm freaking out b/c I feel like is going to take me for ever to read and in some cases (bio) learn the material.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i just timed myself on a math destroyer test... im gonna go re-evaluate my life :asshat:

If you only give yourself 45 min for the Destroyer tests you're going to have a bad time. The Destroyers (especially Math Destroyer IMO) are better served as review materials, not testing materials.

I'm taking mine on September 5th as well, and I'm trying to study with Kaplan (I borrow the books from a friend) would you suggest to use anything else? I'm freaking out b/c I feel like is going to take me for ever to read and in some cases (bio) learn the material.

Are you just starting to study?

I just took chm 1,2 orgo 1,2 and math. So basically is a review. With bio is been awhile that I have taken it.

For BIO, if you're more into reading, then going over a book first isn't a bad idea, I heard Kaplan is good to start off with but definitely supplement it with something like Feralis notes. You could also start off by watching videos first on youtube if you learn better that way

For BIO, if you're more into reading, then going over a book first isn't a bad idea, I heard Kaplan is good to start off with but definitely supplement it with something like Feralis notes. You could also start off by watching videos first on youtube if you learn better that way
Videos are better for me. I just review Chad' s videos and everything I learned from the pass year came back to me. Which bio videos would you suggest? Or should I buy BC?

Videos are better for me. I just review Chad' s videos and everything I learned from the pass year came back to me. Which bio videos would you suggest? Or should I buy BC?

BC doesn't have Bio videos. Get cliffs AP bio 3rd edition. And get destroyer and BC for practice

Reactions: 1 users

Definitely buy bootcamp, I've been using it and they give great explanations for each question including PAT.
Some channels for bio that I've found useful are: Crash course (for AP bio and A&P), Bozeman science, Ray Cinti and biologybyme

I used the Kaplan blue book :) It took me forever to get through it though. It serves as a good base, but since it doesn't cover everything, you need to use BC and Destroyer to add to your information. As I was going through it, I watched every one of Crash Course's bio videos, sped up to like 1.5. Good review presented in an amazingly funny way.

Try and find a reading strategy that works and stick with it. For qr, use bootcamp and math destroyer both of these will help with timing. They also help with exposure to a lot of the questions you will see.