torn between UTH and UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Efflorescence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's other threads comparing these two schools, but both schools have undergone changes in recent years. The Texas match rank list is due tomorrow and even though I have UTSW at #1 and UTH at #2, I'm getting cold feet. I do not have pre-matches to either school.

UT Houston
Pros
- parents, sibling I'm closest to, and best friend currently live in Houston
- one of my best friends (and possibly one more) will attend UTH
- love the TMC
- I'm from the Houston area, so there's a sense of comforting familiarity (favorite restaurants, etc.)

Cons
- absolutely awful interview (I had a very rude interviewer. I know that 1 interviewer is not the school, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth).
- do not want to be a guinea pig for the new curriculum
- not sure if I want to be that close to my parents
- gut feeling: left interview feeling like crap, certain I blew my chance to go there

UT Southwestern
Pros
- not familiar with Dallas, but I enjoyed what I saw of the city; it might be nice to live in a new place/get a fresh start
- another sibling (I'm a lot less close to this one) lives in Dallas
- fantastic interview day experience, including a great talk with one of my interviewers (once again, I know 1 interviewer is not representative of the whole school)
- prestige: if I'm honest with myself, I like that it's a very highly regarded school
- gut feeling: left interview feeling on top of the world, hopeful

Cons
- less of a support system there vs. Houston, would have to start from scratch with making friends

I don't think my rankings for the match will change, but I'm still slightly unsettled. Given the option between UTH and UTSW, would the "fun" of being in a new city (Dallas) at a name-brand school give way to loneliness and frustration because I have to build a new support system from the ground up? If I chose UTH, would I regret "playing it safe" when I had the chance to attend UTSW?

FWIW, I'm a fairly introverted person and it took me awhile to find my "niche" in college and form deep friendships.

I know this is a personal decision that I'll have to make (there's a good chance I will not get accepted to either school), but I'd appreciate it if a few people could chime in with their thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know there's other threads comparing these two schools, but both schools have undergone changes in recent years. The Texas match rank list is due tomorrow and even though I have UTSW at #1 and UTH at #2, I'm getting cold feet. I do not have pre-matches to either school.

UT Houston
Pros
- parents, sibling I'm closest to, and best friend currently live in Houston
- one of my best friends (and possibly one more) will attend UTH
- love the TMC
- I'm from the Houston area, so there's a sense of comforting familiarity (favorite restaurants, etc.)

Cons
- absolutely awful interview (I had a very rude interviewer. I know that 1 interviewer is not the school, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth).
- do not want to be a guinea pig for the new curriculum
- not sure if I want to be that close to my parents
- gut feeling: left interview feeling like crap, certain I blew my chance to go there

UT Southwestern
Pros
- not familiar with Dallas, but I enjoyed what I saw of the city; it might be nice to live in a new place/get a fresh start
- another sibling (albeit one I'm a lot less close to this one) lives in Dallas
- fantastic interview day experience, including a great talk with one of my interviewers (once again, I know 1 interviewer is not representative of the whole school)
- prestige: if I'm honest with myself, I like that it's a very highly regarded school
- gut feeling: left interview feeling on top of the world, hopeful

Cons
- less of a support system there vs. Houston, would have to start from scratch with making friends

I don't think my rankings for the match will change, but I'm still slightly unsettled. Given the option between UTH and UTSW, would the "fun" of being in a new city (Dallas) at a name-brand school give way to loneliness and frustration because I have to build a new support system from the ground up? If I chose UTH, would I regret "playing it safe" when I had the chance to attend UTSW?

FWIW, I'm a fairly introverted person and it took me awhile to find my "niche" in college and form deep friendships.

I know this is a personal decision that I'll have to make (there's a good chance I will not get accepted to either school), but I'd appreciate it if a few people could chime in with their thoughts.

Won't UTSW also have a new curriculum ?

UTSW's new curriculum began for the class of 2019 while UTH's switch is for the class of 2020. The new UTSW curriculum has its issues (according to students I've spoken with), but at least I wouldn't be in the very first class with it. It's a minor quibble I have with both schools. For me, location is the prevailing consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
For UTSW: Houston is only a 3-4 hr drive away. Love Field is also one of the most convenient airports I've ever used and it's <5 mins for the main campus, if flying is more up your alley. This certainly isn't a situation where you won't be able to visit your family/friends on a near weekly basis it's something you want to plan around (I know of people who went back to Austin/San Antonio/Houston every 1-2 weeks during their preclinical years). Class size of 240, so there will likely be at least 1 person you wouldn't mind being around. Colleges system does a decent job of compartmentalizing the class so there is a core group of people you should get to know pretty well. Studying with old friends will probably be distracting.

For UTH: the transition to medical school can be rough for some people, and having a support system nearby can be invaluable in getting through those rough patches (if they arise). Chilling with best friends is pretty sweet. Studying with old friends will probably be fun.

Seems like UTSW is a better "fit" for you if you discount proximity to family/friends. However, UTH is still a really solid school with fantastic resources, so you're not torpedoing your chances at anything by staying close to home.

Reactions: 1 user