2022-2023 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we know how many people typically get in off of the waitlist here? I saw last year that it took about a week to send out WL emails but then it was quiet after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know how many people typically get in off of the waitlist here? I saw last year that it took about a week to send out WL emails but then it was quiet after that.
How did your application cycle go, did you interview at any other TMDSAS schools?

How did your application cycle go, did you interview at any other TMDSAS schools?
Application cycle went well and I matched but I was curious if I got put on waitlist here or anywhere else if it would be worth the wait

Reactions: 1 user
Last year they over admitted by 30+ people and I would expect UTSW more conservative this time around. They will wait until next month before they admit anyone off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
When are you supposed to get the acceptance email? I matched here but haven't received one yet.

When are you supposed to get the acceptance email? I matched here but haven't received one yet.
Hmmm, check your spam. I got one on match day.

Alternatively, check your AMP secondary portal. Left tab should house a copy of the communication.

Reactions: 3 users
I think most movement is towards UTSW and not away from UTSW
Oh I meant anyone who received emails stating they were on the alternate list, not those who have gotten A’s! Wasn’t expecting any movement until April at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I meant anyone who received emails stating they were on the alternate list, not those who have gotten A’s! Wasn’t expecting any movement until April at least.
No waitlist emails have been sent so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t gotten anything, do they usually let us know if we’re on the waitlist and what spot?
I’m seeing people join the 2027 groupchat slowly but unsure if they’re coming off of waitlists

Sorry if this is a dumb question (1st gen) but what does it mean for a transitional/preliminary year match after the actual residency match?

Sorry if this is a dumb question (1st gen) but what does it mean for a transitional/preliminary year match after the actual residency match?
If their preliminary year is not associated with a residency that requires one (most common being radiology and ophthalmology) then it probably means they did not match in their intended field and had to find "something" during SOAP. They will have an intern level job this year and can apply again to match for a full residency next year.

If their preliminary year is not associated with a residency that requires one (most common being radiology and ophthalmology) then it probably means they did not match in their intended field and had to find "something" during SOAP. They will have an intern level job this year and can apply again to match for a full residency next year.

Why do they require a preliminary year for those specialties? I saw that most were in internal medicine but google wasn't very helpful about why

Optho, radiology, anesthesia, Psiatry, derm etc need a prelim year which requires them to spend a year mostly in primary care and most choose IM or surgery but I have seen some do pediatrics for derm as an example.

Last edited:
Optho, radiology, anesthesia, Psiatry, derm etc need a prelim year which requires them to spend a year mostly in primary care and most choose IM or surgery but I have seen some do pediatrics for derm as an example.
anesthesia spots are heavily categorical now so the prelim/advanced setup is far less common. Ophtho spots now come linked with an intern year as well for the most part. Which is why you’re not seeing two different matches for most of those applicants on that list.

Last edited:
anesthesia spots are heavily categorical now so the prelim/advanced setup is far less common. Ophtho spots now come linked with an intern year as well for the most part. Which is why you’re not seeing two different matches for most of those applicants on that list.
How does your Anesthesia match work? Do you do prelim year at the same place you matched and so they dont separate it out?

How does your Anesthesia match work? Do you do prelim year at the same place you matched and so they dont separate it out?
Yup. My intern year is at the same program and comes with the actual anesthesia residency program I matched to - if it’s like this the position is known as a categorical program.

If it’s a separate intern year it is called a Prelim or Transitional year. Prelim years are either IM or General Surgery and transitional years are usually far more relaxed with a bunch of elective rotations. You would complete this year and then join your anesthesia program wherever that is. You match to them during the same application cycle. This would be an advanced anesthesia spot. This setup has fallen out of favor with the categorical setup becoming far more common. Removes the stress of potentially living across the country after your intern year.

Yup. My intern year is at the same program and comes with the actual anesthesia residency program I matched to - if it’s like this the position is known as a categorical program.

If it’s a separate intern year it is called a Prelim or Transitional year. Prelim years are either IM or General Surgery and transitional years are usually far more relaxed with a bunch of elective rotations. You would complete this year and then join your anesthesia program wherever that is. You match to them during the same application cycle. This would be an advanced anesthesia spot. This setup has fallen out of favor with the categorical setup becoming far more common. Removes the stress of potentially living across the country after your intern year.
Do you not do prelim year in something other than anesthesia, i.e., are you doing 4 years of anesthesia?

Do you not do prelim year in something other than anesthesia, i.e., are you doing 4 years of anesthesia?
I do an intern year that has a variety of medicine and surgical rotations. And then 3 years of anesthesia. All of this at a single program. It comes with the residency spot I matched. These are known as categorical spots.

Prelim is a specific term for intern years that are either in surgery or internal medicine that are separate from residency that you’re applying to (most often in Derm, Rads, and PM&R nowadays)

For example someone doing dermatology would apply to both prelim years and dermatology residencies at the same time. They would match each one separately (often times they can be at the same hospital/program). The would complete their prelim year and then move on to their dermatology years. Anesthesiology used to be like this, but over the last 10 years or so, most programs have just decided to include the intern year in their programs. Some spots still use the prelim/advanced system though. You’re still doing to exact same residency requirements (1 intern year and 3 years of anesthesia), it is just different avenues to get it done.

anyone know if UTSW will send any more OOS A's/waitlists? and do they send OOS post-II R's?

anyone know if UTSW will send any more OOS A's/waitlists? and do they send OOS post-II R's?
Someone has to drop from OOS As to get more OOS As since they restrict to 10%. Usually the movement happens as people start cutting back on their admissions driven by timelines to drop to 3 and then 1 in April and May.

Someone has to drop from OOS As to get more OOS As since they restrict to 10%. Usually the movement happens as people start cutting back on their admissions driven by timelines to drop to 3 and then 1 in April and May.
Let's take turns saying that on all the TX threads @texasvandy :rofl::rofl:o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
No alternate list status emails yet? Also, do they let us know if we are not on the waitlist?

Do you think its possible that I get my UTSW scholarship taken away if I get my worst grades yet (C) during my last semester of college? Still trying to finish strong, but I am taking the hardest class I've ever taken.

Do you think its possible that I get my UTSW scholarship taken away if I get my worst grades yet (C) during my last semester of college? Still trying to finish strong, but I am taking the hardest class I've ever taken.
Grades affect admission, not scholarship.

The scholarships at UTSW in the past have been affected by grades at UTSW. There is a thread on SDN from last fall where a student lost their admission as well as scholarship based on year 1 performance.

• Wow
I was feeling extra anxious yesterday so I called utsw admissions..

The waitlist is NOT automatic so not everyone who ranked utsw higher than where they matched has a spot on the waitlist. I asked around when to expect to find out if we are on the waitlist or not and she said she was unable to answer that. She didn't directly say this but she kind of implied that they aren't under the target number so there might not even be a need for a waitlist (please take this part with a grain salt because I came to this conclusion by reading between the lines)... I'm assuming that may change over the next few weeks if people decide to go out of state and stuff I don't mean to stress anyone out just thought I would share

Reactions: 7 users
I was feeling extra anxious yesterday so I called utsw admissions..

The waitlist is NOT automatic so not everyone who ranked utsw higher than where they matched has a spot on the waitlist. I asked around when to expect to find out if we are on the waitlist or not and she said she was unable to answer that. She didn't directly say this but she kind of implied that they aren't under the target number so there might not even be a need for a waitlist (please take this part with a grain salt because I came to this conclusion by reading between the lines)... I'm assuming that may change over the next few weeks if people decide to go out of state and stuff I don't mean to stress anyone out just thought I would share
There are a few people who have joined/left the class groupchat. Because of that I think there has been some waitlist movement but I’m not 100% sure.

There are a few people who have joined/left the class groupchat. Because of that I think there has been some waitlist movement but I’m not 100% sure.
It doesn’t mean they have definitely invited anyone in from the waitlist, because they may be seeing the expected shrinkage from those admitted who leave this school for an OOS school they prefer.

For those who applied via TMDSAS & AMCAS: I'm a bit confused on the traffic rules - would UTSW count as one of my 3 schools for the April 17th AMCAS deadline to narrow down your choices to 3 acceptances? It looks like UTSW just wants us to commit to enrolling by April 30th and turn down all other offers if we are going there but one of my AMCAS schools is following the April 17th rule.

For those who applied via TMDSAS & AMCAS: I'm a bit confused on the traffic rules - would UTSW count as one of my 3 schools for the April 17th AMCAS deadline to narrow down your choices to 3 acceptances? It looks like UTSW just wants us to commit to enrolling by April 30th and turn down all other offers if we are going there but one of my AMCAS schools is following the April 17th rule.
What more do you need to know to decide among your schools?
Your main risk is missing a deadline and getting dropped by one of the schools. Be active, not passive, and make your own choice.
The AMCAS April 17th date is seldom enforced as a hard deadline but take the decree from UTSW seriously if you want to attend there.

AMCAS counts all MD schools for their rules and being a Texas school does not make any difference.

I am under the impression bringing it down to 3 is a suggestion and not a requirement?

AMCAS counts all MD schools for their rules and being a Texas school does not make any difference.

I am under the impression bringing it down to 3 is a suggestion and not a requirement?
Yes it is but UTSW has given their edict that they want “commit” by April 30.

Yes it is but UTSW has given their edict that they want “commit” by April 30.
Good for them!

They definitely didnt have this in 2020. I remember someone waited to commit until end of June when their last waitlist closed OOS.

Thanks! I’m surprised nobody else has mentioned getting the WL… I assumed they put everyone who didn’t match on the WL?
I don't think they do, hence the late-ish announcement to some of you that you are on the UTSW WL.

• Care