2022-2023 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @FarmHand for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UTSW Secondary Essay Prompts:

MD
Applicants: (first 3 required, questions 4 and 5 if applicable) (2500 characters max each)

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective? (2500 characters)

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect. (2500 characters)

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life. (2500 characters)

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (Optional)(2500 characters)

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)(2500 characters)

MSTP (MD/PhD Applicants) (500 characters each)
1. Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer’s disease, rational drug design, etc.)

2. [Optional] Please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life.

3. Why are you interested in MD/PhD training at UT Southwestern in particular?

4. List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you (faculty must have a laboratory website at Labs).

5. If accepted, would you be able to start with a laboratory rotation by June 29, 2023? (yes or no)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Below are the prompts.

For the MD application, all have a character limit of 2500.

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective?

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life.

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (Optional)

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)

For MSTP (MD/PHD), all have character limit of 500

1. Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer’s disease, rational drug design, etc.)

2. [Optional] Please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life.

4. List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you (faculty must have a laboratory website at Labs).

If accepted, would you be able to start with a laboratory rotation by June 29, 2023? (yes or no)

Reactions: 1 user
Are you
Below are the prompts.

For the MD application, all have a character limit of 2500.

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective?

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life.

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (Optional)

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)

For MSTP (MD/PHD), all have character limit of 500

If accepted, would you be able to start with a laboratory rotation by June 29, 2023? (yes or no)
how quickly were you processed? When did you submit your primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside fro UTSW, which other Texas schools have sent you secondaries?
@satdixon, hit "follow" on all the TMDSAS school threads & you can see when we post up the secondaries.
So far we've posted this one, UTMB, and A&M. You can pre-write but wait until you're invited by the school to send it.

For the second prompt, would it be fine to talk about experiencing racism in middle school or should I mention something else that is past high school?

For the second prompt, would it be fine to talk about experiencing racism in middle school or should I mention something else that is past high school?
Notice that the second half of the prompt asks you if you would handle it the same now- so you can contrast

Middle school is way far back for you to be able to control a situation. Medical schools are usually looking for you to discuss issues when are expected to be handling things on your own, more likely college without parental involvement for example.

For the second prompt, is the “or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination” relating to us or another person?

For the second prompt, is the “or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination” relating to us or another person?
I think the way they wrote this question, the first part you can tell about something you observed.

The second part I take to mean something you experienced personally. The prompt allows you to choose either part, in case you don't feel you have been discriminated against or harassed.

I advise discussing a real incident though, don't make up something hypothetical.

Last edited:
Joining this thread now. Received secondary 5/20, finished by 5/23. Waiting for CASPer to be scored so not complete yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first prompt, would y'all consider being on a university sports team (team captain as well) and going to the national championships as a "group project or activity that you are most proud of."

For the first prompt, would y'all consider being on a university sports team (team captain as well) and going to the national championships as a "group project or activity that you are most proud of."
I think that fits the prompt, as long as you focus on the team interactions and don't make it a sportscaster commentary about the win!

Hello, I was wondering if it was normal to not have my letters or mcat score on the secondary application yet? I was already processed and I can access the secondary application portal, but my status says nothing has arrived. Should I be worried? I only got the secondaries on the 2nd at night. It seems all my other secondaries have the same issue.

Hello, I was wondering if it was normal to not have my letters or mcat score on the secondary application yet? I was already processed and I can access the secondary application portal, but my status says nothing has arrived. Should I be worried? I only got the secondaries on the 2nd at night. It seems all my other secondaries have the same issue.
As long as you have sent those to TMDSAS it just a matter of record keeping at the med school. They might check to see if those things have arrived when they read your essays, and then check them off on their school portal.

As long as you have sent those to TMDSAS it just a matter of record keeping at the med school. They might check to see if those things have arrived when they read your essays, and then check them off on their school portal.
Thank you for the help!

For the 2nd question, would it be relevant to discuss an incident of institutional discrimination (laws, policies) rather than personal discrimination if I had a relevant and actionable response to it? I know brining up politics is frowned upon, but when it comes to ethics I find those to be oftentimes intertwined.

Hi everyone, does anyone know what "CAS Requirements" are in the secondary portal application requirements?

Hi everyone, does anyone know what "CAS Requirements" are in the secondary portal application requirements?
This is my guess/conjecture only - I have seen applicants ask this question on TMDSAS before, but have seen no answers.

As far as I know the CAS acronym is usually associated with the IB programme diploma (at certain high schools) and stands for creativity, activity, and service. It might be showing up on the secondary portal after you submit to remind readers of your app to look for those qualities? "CAS" doesn't appear on UTSW's website as any type of requirement.

Last edited:
CAS existed several years before CASPer for UTSW.

For the final MD optional essay, it mentions discussing any academic discrepancies. However, I talked quite thoroughly about this in my optional TMDSAS essay. I feel I shouldn't waste their time by rehashing this again. Thoughts?

For the final MD optional essay, it mentions discussing any academic discrepancies. However, I talked quite thoroughly about this in my optional TMDSAS essay. I feel I shouldn't waste their time by rehashing this again. Thoughts?
agreed.

For question 4, my public service activities that have lasted longer than a year have largely been healthcare-related. E.g I worked with our local medical school to create educational sessions on various health topics. I worked on that for probably a year and a half but wanted to double check if I could use it to answer this question.

It seems like the question is largely directed towards very large time commitments since they reference the military and PeaceCorps so I figured I just wouldn't answer it based on that. Would it be a disadvantage to my application to not answer the question?

For question 4, my public service activities that have lasted longer than a year have largely been healthcare-related. E.g I worked with our local medical school to create educational sessions on various health topics. I worked on that for probably a year and a half but wanted to double check if I could use it to answer this question.

It seems like the question is largely directed towards very large time commitments since they reference the military and PeaceCorps so I figured I just wouldn't answer it based on that. Would it be a disadvantage to my application to not answer the question?
Your impression is right, the question does refer to those big time-committed programs like Americorps, city year, Teach for America and such. Most applicants will not be writing this essay.

Submitted my secondary app today. UTSW has everything except my CASPer score. Took that exam on 6/2, so they should have the score in the coming weeks. Exciting to be completely finished with one application! On to the next...

They are looking for specific people to give some extra credit to in recruitment. It just means the school wants to have a few students who have done year long service commitments, not necessarily fill the class with them.

I'm struggling about with question 2. I have a couple of things in mind however I'm just not feeling confident.

1. I can talk about an incident in which I experienced a patient calling me a slur (I'm just not sure about using a patient encounter for this)
2. I could talk about a time during a training session in graduate school when someone discussed the "virtues," of conversion therapy

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm struggling about with question 2. I have a couple of things in mind however I'm just not feeling confident.

1. I can talk about an incident in which I experienced a patient calling me a slur (I'm just not sure about using a patient encounter for this)
2. I could talk about a time during a training session in graduate school when someone discussed the "virtues," of conversion therapy

Does anyone have any suggestions?
You should read all of the add on questions in to the equation and see how you reacted, would you have done anything different etc to determine which option gives a better essay.

someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination

Also think about which of the 4 key words apply for the situation - unethical, dishonest, harassment or discrimination.

For Question 5, as someone else already brought up, I have an exhaustive description of my academic shortcomings in my TMDSAS primary optional essay. I see you indicated that it would be best to avoid bothering with yet another description of the same circumstances, so would it be best to copy and paste what I wrote for the primary, write "see primary optional essay" or something like that, or just leave blank?
I know there is not a "one size fits all" answer for things like this.
If you spent that much time on this topic in your primary, my suggestion would be to restate it in 1 sentence like "Family emergencies and the worry and extra duties that went along with them definitely affected my ability to focus on my studies during XX semester, discussed in more detail in my primary application."

For question 4, if we are doing a service program (Americorps) during our gap year, would we write about that? I haven’t started the program yet, but will be doing a year-long service term. Should I just briefly mention that and not go into detail about what I’ve learned from it?

For question 4, if we are doing a service program (Americorps) during our gap year, would we write about that? I haven’t started the program yet, but will be doing a year-long service term. Should I just briefly mention that and not go into detail about what I’ve learned from it?
Yes, definitely tell your plans to do this and your upcoming start date. You could say where you will be starting work and what your expected duties are, if you know. As it hasn't happened yet you can't comment on what you learned from it.

Yes, definitely tell your plans to do this and your upcoming start date. You could say where you will be starting work and what your expected duties are, if you know. As it hasn't happened yet you can't comment on what you learned from it.

Great, I’ll do that. thank you!

The question is meant specifically for people like you and it does not require you to have already completed it. You are applying while in the program and you can specify what you will be doing during the one year.

The question is meant specifically for people like you and it does not require you to have already completed it. You are applying while in the program and you can specify what you will be doing during the one year.

Got it thank you!!

Under status, every one of my rec letters are received but I still have an X instead of a checkmark by the application status for Letter of References. Did anyone else have this issue/know what is wrong?

Edit: Is this just because the school is taking the time to process the letter?

Last edited:
Under status, every one of my rec letters are received but I still have an X instead of a checkmark by the application status for Letter of References. Did anyone else have this issue/know what is wrong?

Have you submitted the secondary? It may not update until you pay the fee.

Yes

For question 3 I am a bit confused on what to even write. I can't think of anything for the first part, but the second part seems doable. How do i even begin to write about the second part?

everybody can submit one, it you haven't been sent an email check your junk mail or go here:
Admissions
Thanks wysdoc, helpful as always! I received it, but I don't think I'll submit one, as my stats are nowhere near their minimum matriculant stats from last cycle.