2022-2023 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any first years are on here how would you describe the first semester in terms of schedule? A lot of mandatory in person classes? How often is lab?
First semester is pretty busy. All our lectures are recorded and not mandatory attendance. There are a few mandatory group sessions-- maybe twice a week on average not including anatomy lab. Anatomy labs involve dissections approximately twice weekly.

Reactions: 2 users
UTSW has sent me many emails to send in my picture and photo consent form for MS0 weekend - Do I still do it even if I might not rank them first in the match?

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW has sent me many emails to send in my picture and photo consent form for MS0 weekend - Do I still do it even if I might not rank them first in the match?
Yes I would! I still need to do so. You never know if you get super impressed by them and fall in love at MS0 weekend

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I believe it’s 8 weeks.
Right. It is distributed to small groups over a one year period (starts for first group starting Christmas break and keeps cascading for one group at a time (first group off until mid February, second group starts mid fed and off until mid April and so on).\

In theory they should change it since it is not score relevant anymore.

I've heard about the first semester being busy from just about every UTSW student I've talked to - maybe 7 or 8 different people at this point. What does this actually mean? Are you sleeping 4 hours a night, zero time for making friends, studying 12 hours straight or is it not that bad? The funny thing is, there's other schools in approximately the same tier which now have 1 year preclinicals, even shorter than UTSW's, and the people there didn't seem so stressed out at all.
I sleep at least 8 hours a night if not more on average (with the possible exception of the night before a test or quiz). I've never spent 12 hours a day studying-- I don't even know how its possible to stay focused for so long. I've definitely had time to hang out/socialize with friends, and my partner would probably tell you that we have spent a lot of quality time together. The reason we say first semester is really busy here is because its really busy compared to the next two preclerkship semesters. I can't speak to what other schools are like because I don't attend them. All I know is that our failure rates for our finals are very low as shown by our grade distributions and everyone that I've met first semester is still around and doing well. There's also a pretty generous remediation policy if you fail a final or finals, especially in the first semester.

Reactions: 3 users
Right. It is distributed to small groups over a one year period (starts for first group starting Christmas break and keeps cascading for one group at a time (first group off until mid February, second group starts mid fed and off until mid April and so on).\

In theory they should change it since it is not score relevant anymore.
I believe that has changed starting with this years MS2s. They are all currently in their dedicated for step 1.

I believe that has changed starting with this years MS2s. They are all currently in their dedicated for step 1.
How and what has changed?

I checked the MS3 calendar and interestingly, all finished before the end of their second year (complete during 4th semester) unlike Baylor whose 3rd years were taking step 1 when it went pass fail. According to current Baylor residency applicants, they have about 20% of their class without a step 1 score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How and what has changed?

I checked the MS3 calendar and interestingly, all finished before the end of their second year (complete during 4th semester) unlike Baylor whose 3rd years were taking step 1 when it went pass fail. According to current Baylor residency applicants, they have about 20% of their class without a step 1 score.
Our first three semesters are all preclinical and clerkships begin in the fourth semester. Before, when MS2s came back from winter break, they would begin the dedicated period for step 1 in staggered batches. Ex. Some would have January/February for dedicated first while some would have their first clerkship then Feb/March for dedicated, etc. Now, ALL MS2s have their dedicated immediately following preclinicals in Jan/February since it is pass-fail. I'm pretty sure in both scenarios everyone or almost everyone would have step 1 completed by the end of their fourth semester. I don't know what Baylor has to do with this. I guess their students take step 1 at a later time.

Our first three semesters are all preclinical and clerkships begin in the fourth semester. Before, when MS2s came back from winter break, they would begin the dedicated period for step 1 in staggered batches. Ex. Some would have January/February for dedicated first while some would have their first clerkship then Feb/March for dedicated, etc. Now, ALL MS2s have their dedicated immediately following preclinicals in Jan/February since it is pass-fail. I'm pretty sure in both scenarios everyone or almost everyone would have step 1 completed by the end of their fourth semester. I don't know what Baylor has to do with this. I guess their students take step 1 at a later time.
Did they cut short the time given or is it still 6-8 weeks including the winter break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, 1/31 tomorrow so good luck in the match for those of us waiting and may the odds be ever in your favor 🥲

Just received a full tuition scholarship offer!!!!! Life is crazy - thank you UTSW!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
I received a full tuition scholarship today. Pre matched a few months ago.

ORM, 516 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, traditional applicant.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know if MS0 weekend allows a plus one? Just for the events/info sessions, not the student housing.

Does anyone know if all corresponds are added to your file? Should I send in a letter of intent?

I also got that email from the Diversity office a few months ago and basically sent back, 'pls accept me, and I'll go 100%. utsw is my #1.' Never got a reply back, but I don't want to seem too over-eager sending a letter of intent directly to admissions if that initial email is already going to be in there. I don't have much of an update tbh, but I have a lot of ties in Dallas and specific programs within utsw I wanna pursue.

Does anyone know if all corresponds are added to your file? Should I send in a letter of intent?

I also got that email from the Diversity office a few months ago and basically sent back, 'pls accept me, and I'll go 100%. utsw is my #1.' Never got a reply back, but I don't want to seem too over-eager sending a letter of intent directly to admissions if that initial email is already going to be in there. I don't have much of an update tbh, but I have a lot of ties in Dallas and specific programs within utsw I wanna pursue.
Sounds like you already stated your intent, and it is typical for UTSW to file your communications without sending you a confirmation.

I sent an LOI and they specifically responded to me to state that it was added to my file! What do you have to lose? Send the letter. (Whether it helps admissions or not is something else entirely, but it DID help me feel less anxiety knowing that I had done everything I could to let them know they were high on my rankings haha).

Sounds like you already stated your intent, and it is typical for UTSW to file your communications without sending you a confirmation.
I feel like I did, you're right. Thank you for the confirmation! I'm doubting everything I know at this point 🥴

Has anyone going to MS0 received housing info yet? Should I go ahead and book a hotel? I'm getting nervous since it's just a week out

Has anyone going to MS0 received housing info yet? Should I go ahead and book a hotel? I'm getting nervous since it's just a week out
Yeah I got an email yesterday about staying with an MS4!!

SDN crew rolling in dough this year
Pw Scrooge GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Do you have to submit a FAFSA to be considered for scholarships?

Matched UTSW :) FOR POSTERITY: it IS possible to match UTSW so PLEASE do NOT say "UTSW is prematch heavy I don't have a chance" because YOU DO

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Matched UTSW :) FOR POSTERITY: it IS possible to match UTSW so PLEASE do NOT say "UTSW is prematch heavy I don't have a chance" because YOU DO

happy you’ll be my future classmate, congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does UTSW respond to requests to review your application?
Also curious on waitlist acceptances/movement from this school :/ anyone have MSAR access they can look at?

Last edited:
Also curious on waitlist acceptances/movement from this school :/ anyone have MSAR access they can look at?
I suspect most schools that do offer review do it with the intention of reapplicants who have failed to match anywhere.

Congratulations to those who matched!!!!! I also matched here and am very excited by the possibility of being classmates with y'all!! I know this might be a hard day for those who did not match, and I am sending love and a reminder that your worth is not tied to your app/candidacy. <3

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to those who matched!!!!! I also matched here and am very excited by the possibility of being classmates with y'all!! I know this might be a hard day for those who did not match, and I am sending love and a reminder that your worth is not tied to your app/candidacy. <3
Absolutely

They won't review & tell you why you didn't get in, but you could be on TMDSAS WLs until May 15th.