2022-2023 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R. Was a matter of time.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read up on your interviewers and ask them questions. “How was it like writing X book? I saw that you got a teaching award in 1998. What did you do differently that allowed you to receive that award?”
Make sure to ask if Dr Thiccy might be expected to teach the new batch.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Is the MS0 weekend sign up form not working for anyone else/only showing dates in 2020?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys a bit of an off topic question, I wanted to change my sdn name to make it more professional. Apparently, you need sdn moderator permission to change your name, do you guys know who I should contact to get this expedited? Hope the moderator isn't Elon Musk, lol 😂
If you submit the request, it will go to the moderator automatically. You don't contact a moderator manually. Mine was changed within an hour

Hey guys a bit of an off topic question, I wanted to change my sdn name to make it more professional. Apparently, you need sdn moderator permission to change your name, do you guys know who I should contact to get this expedited? Hope the moderator isn't Elon Musk, lol 😂

elon would probably change your name to 420blazer69

Will there be any more scholarship offers sent before match or did they only send them with original pre match offers?

Will there be any more scholarship offers sent before match or did they only send them with original pre match offers?
I want to know as well. I messaged the financial aid office a couple of weeks ago with no response.

I want to know as well. I messaged the financial aid office a couple of weeks ago with no response.
from the financial aid session, the answer was likely not. they had said scholarships are mostly recruitment scholarships that would be packaged with your offer or be sent out within a few weeks of acceptance.

that’s what I understood from the presentation anyway

Reactions: 3 users
Does UTSW send post-II R's?
Still anxiously chewing my fingernails about this school.

Do we think this is the last "wave" of prematch offers UTSW will be sending out?

Me not caring about prematching anywhere anymore and just living my life:
1673660911352.jpeg

Officially giving up on getting accepted here since the class is mainly prematch lol
Just sucks knowing I wasn’t good enough
Don't give up hope! According to the prematch data released by TMDSAS last year, the Texas school that released the most prematches only sent out around 160 prematches. If it was UTSW, then that means around 70-100 ppl will match to UTSW on match day

Officially giving up on getting accepted here since the class is mainly prematch lol
Just sucks knowing I wasn’t good enough
Yeah definitely do not give up hope! I know at least 3 people who prematched here that will not be attending. Also admission to medical should today is so freaking random. Don’t let your self worth be defined by one particular school, you will be a great doctor one day :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how many seats/what percentage of total seats are filled via prematch? I only had two texas interviews and am concerned about ranking this first if they barely accept anyone on match day, even if the general rule is to rank according to your preferred school.

Does anyone know how many seats/what percentage of total seats are filled via prematch? I only had two texas interviews and am concerned about ranking this first if they barely accept anyone on match day, even if the general rule is to rank according to your preferred school.
They offer a generous number of prematches but not many have shared news on SDN this year so far.
Don’t second guess yourself- rank them how you like

The class of 2027 Facebook has ~190 students in it. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
It does help but don’t let that number discourage you because
A) some people in the Facebook group are admins and upperclassmen so they can answer questions
B) many people have multiple offers and may not end up matching to UTSW

Is that the total or you actually counted new students? Normally these groups have lots of current students who are there to contribute to discussions in the group about various aspects of attending their school. I have seen BCM have 400+ people in the past.

The class could be full with premeds but many have to rank between UTSW and other schools since someone admitted to UTSW is competitive and most hold more than one admission. So even if the class is full, many seats open up during the match.

To put it in perspective, the most prematch offers extended by a Texas school was 170. Let's just assume this was UTSW (we don't know if it actually was). The total acceptances given out toward IS students by UTSW was ~350 per the US News data found on sdn. That means there's still a lot of acceptances available during the Match and subsequent waitlist movement.

Is that the total or you actually counted new students? Normally these groups have lots of current students who are there to contribute to discussions in the group about various aspects of attending their school. I have seen BCM have 400+ people in the past.

The class could be full with premeds but many have to rank between UTSW and other schools since someone admitted to UTSW is competitive and most hold more than one admission. So even if the class is full, many seats open up during the match.
That's fair I didn't actually try to go count each student. Also not everyone has FB so it is hard to tell.

Does anyone know how many OOS students are accepted? Is there still a chance to get accepted as OOS at this point or have these students been most likely waitlisted / rejected at this point?

Does anyone know how many OOS students are accepted? Is there still a chance to get accepted as OOS at this point or have these students been most likely waitlisted / rejected at this point?
Max is 23. No reason to assume they did not admit 23 but the match is irrelevant for OOS so it would not matter whether they have admitted all already or wait a little longer.

If they have already admitted 23, they will not offer any unless someone drops out.

only 13 people have UTSW on their Facebook profile in this group. its a pretty useless metric since literally no one updates their Facebook profiles anymore but thought I’d let y’all know.

only 13 people have UTSW on their Facebook profile in this group. its a pretty useless metric since literally no one updates their Facebook profiles anymore but thought I’d let y’all know.
Which means rest are newbies.

It would be surprising that someone who wants to be in that group and is a current student wouldn't identify themselves. It is their way of ensuring they are able to discuss and claim to be a current student. They wouldn't be allowed in otherwise.

I have literally counted 200 people in a baylor group as current students at one time when they kept the group open to public to view. They were from several different years and wanted to be there to get new admittees to commit.

so at this point I'm assuming its a lost cause for me and everyone else who hasn't received a prematch at this point? that hurts. :( I have one acceptance but I am almost considering reapplying next cycle just for UTSW
Hang in there and rank your interview school for the match. You might be pleasantly surprised

so at this point I'm assuming its a lost cause for me and everyone else who hasn't received a prematch at this point? that hurts. :( I have one acceptance but I am almost considering reapplying next cycle just for UTSW
If you have an acceptance to a TMDSAS school don’t give it up just to reapply next cycle. Reapplicants have it harder :(

Reactions: 5 users
They’ll know you’ll have an A and look down on clout chasers.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
In hindsight I should not have left this comment without context because I understand how it may look. But I promise I am not a clout chaser I have reasons for why UTSW is the best option out of the schools I interviewed at. The school I got accepted to is a low tier out of state and tuition plus average rent in the city alone is already over 80k a year
No, I don’t mean you’re a clout chaser specifically. I mean that some medical school counselors would assume that you’re a clout chaser if you reject an A at a lower tier school considering how competitive the process it. At UCSF I don’t even think they’ll consider you if you had previously been accepted to medical school. So you have to be prepared to explain and explain very well.

edit: and it’s gotta be more than “this school is low tier, out of state, and the rent is too high.”

Last edited:
The thumbs down was me saying please don't reapply with an acceptance in-hand. Just don't. You're worth more than admission to any one particular school. You got in. You're going to be a doctor. It isn't worth the risk to give up what you have for what you hope will come to fruition in the future, especially when so many schools shy away from reapplicants who've turned down a previous acceptance. I do understand your pain, especially given the high COA of that OOS school, but try to focus on the positives in life, like your acceptance to a medical school in general. That is a bigger deal than it probably feels like it is in a moment of disappointment. You're one of the 30-40% who will make it this year!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
If any first years are on here how would you describe the first semester in terms of schedule? A lot of mandatory in person classes? How often is lab?

Anyone else having a problem completing the HIPAA training for second look weekend? The registration keeps timing out.

Any hope of more prematches before Jan 31?