Touro-CA MSMHS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorBoots

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Ya'll !!

New to SDN. Couldn't find a thread about the MSMHS Program at Touro-CA so I decided to get the ball rolling :)

Almost done with my application. Should have it sent in in the next 2-3 days. Waiting on the answers to a few questions I had about the application from Ms. Naisha Bible at Touro-CA. Maybe we can get input from those who were accepted last year if they run into this thread.

Lets also use this thread to promote conversion between other who are interested in this program and plan on applying this cycle !!

Website to the program: http://admissions.tu.edu/Apply-MSMHS-COM.html

Application Deadline: June 3rd 2016

Good luck to everyone !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@GatorBoots, I recently heard about this program. I just submitted my application at 1:30AM last night and was marked complete today. I'm very surprised at how fast they program process these applications.

Since you applied earlier than I have, have you heard back from the program? If so, how long did it took for them to get back to you?

@GatorBoots, I recently heard about this program. I just submitted my application at 1:30AM last night and was marked complete today. I'm very surprised at how fast they program process these applications.

Since you applied earlier than I have, have you heard back from the program? If so, how long did it took for them to get back to you?
I did the same. Last Thursday night (also around 1:30 a.m. lol, so really Friday) I submitted it, and then the next morning I woke up to the completed status email. Very fast...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same. Last Thursday night (also around 1:30 a.m. lol, so really Friday) I submitted it, and then the next morning I woke up to the completed status email. Very fast...

OMG you submitted your application at 1:30am too? I did too!! Are you in California?

Apparently they increased their class size to 60 students this year and also started doing rolling admissions (instead of all at once). This means increased chance of acceptance as well as possible earlier acceptance

Sorry for my ignorance but whats this program for? I guess it increases chances of admission..... more details will be appreciated!

Sorry for my ignorance but whats this program for? I guess it increases chances of admission..... more details will be appreciated!
This is a post bac for people who need to boost their academic profile in order to be more competitive for medical schools. This especially applies to those who are considering TouroCOM-CA because if you do well (above 3.0), then you are guaranteed an interview with the DO program. Most students who complete the program with above a 3.0 and are interviewed get accepted. A few either don't get in or choose other programs, but basically, if you do well academically in the program, get around 506 or better on the MCAT, and maybe engage in research opportunities when possible, then you are extremely likely to matriculate. As a bonus, you get a masters degree (for $25,000) which is great for your overall app if you are lacking in a certain area like GPA.

Applicant with underwhelming GPA with a 3.6+ in Medical Health Masters program >>>>>>>>>> Applicant with just underwhelming GPA

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the quick reply! How competitive is it to get into this program?

Good question. They have the same a basic requirements as the DO school (less the MCAT), but I think they could potentially be even more competitive, especially when you're actually in the program. It's a program for students who need desperately to improve their app, so less highly competitive apps in terms of getting in but gunner city probably once you're in. The one good thing is that they expanded to a 60 student class size this year. A lot of SMPs, post bacc, and other similar programs have a class size of about half that so that helps odds. All that being said (based on no actual knowledge or substance), I was wondering the same thing... just because there are less strong applicants doesn't help too much when there is a saturated applicant pool, so does anyone know the percentage of people that get in compared to applied, or have any relevant statistics from previous cycles?

Who applies in this program? Students with low GPA or who wants to get into this school? I would love to see the statistics for getting into this program and how many got accepted in DO program? Any last year student who got into this program and a medical student this year?

I'm also quite curious of how many people apply here. Does this post bac prefer students with higher stats who were unable to get into a school? Or do they want students with relatively low stats?
Also, I heard that a couple of MD schools like Tulane or Temple have 2 year master programs that result in 83% of their students getting acceptance....
so will any other post bac/masters program regardless of DO/MD give you guaranteed interview at this school?

I'm still nowhere near applying to any school as of yet, I haven't even done the MCAT. So should you apply to this post bac after getting rejected during 1 or more cycles or should you apply even before you apply to any school due to you having low stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still nowhere near applying to any school as of yet, I haven't even done the MCAT. So should you apply to this post bac after getting rejected during 1 or more cycles or should you apply even before you apply to any school due to you having low stats.

You don't need to have taken the MCAT to apply to this program. If you don't get accepted to MD or DO school, absolutely apply. If it's for next cycle, you might as well focus on the MCAT, apply early to Med school, then if by Feb you feel like you won't get accepted anywhere, go ahead and try this program. If I we're you, depending on your stats, I would focus on getting a high MCAT. You won't need this program if you do well on that and have a decent GPA (>3.5).

I see. Does this program give admission solely by reviewing the personal statement or does it look at your stats as well? Would someone who has like a 3.5 gpa be given priority over someone who has a 3.1?

I see. Does this program give admission solely by reviewing the personal statement or does it look at your stats as well? Would someone who has like a 3.5 gpa be given priority over someone who has a 3.1?
It's the same criteria for Med school minus the MCAT

In other words, the weaker your gpa the lower your chance is to get accepted by this program..... right?
Yes. It's a post bac masters degree. Its a competitive rolling admissions selection process.

In other words, the weaker your gpa the lower your chance is to get accepted by this program..... right?

This really depends. It's not just about the overall low gpa, it also depends on the trend. If its an upward trend, then the school will understand that if they were to accept you, you will do great in their program.

@DantheManimal: Have you heard back yet? I haven't heard anything yet. This week is the 3rd week since our application was marked complete. I remembered reading the FAQ that it will take approximately 3 weeks for a decision to be rendered. What do you think?

@DantheManimal: Have you heard back yet? I haven't heard anything yet. This week is the 3rd week since our application was marked complete. I remembered reading the FAQ that it will take approximately 3 weeks for a decision to be rendered. What do you think?
I emailed Naisha today saying that I was accepted to TouroNY masters and they gave me 4 weeks to accept the invite and that I'd rather stay in Cali so how long until we find out? She told me: "The general time frame to hear back is approx. 3-4 wks right now."

I emailed Naisha today saying that I was accepted to TouroNY masters and they gave me 4 weeks to accept the invite and that I'd rather stay in Cali so how long until we find out? She told me: "The general time frame to hear back is approx. 3-4 wks right now."

You applied to both the NY program and CA program? Did you submit both applications at the same time?

You applied to both the NY program and CA program? Did you submit both applications at the same time?
I didn't apply to the NY program. I applied to the CA and NV ones at the same time though. CA has been super responsive and NV has been disorganized and relatively quiet. As for NY, I applied to their DO program and now got offered a spot in the masters (better than all out rejection I suppose). My top picks though are Touro-CA and Harvard Extension. If not, at least I have NY as backup (but it's uber competitive).

I didn't apply to the NY program. I applied to the CA and NV ones at the same time though. CA has been super responsive and NV has been disorganized and relatively quiet. As for NY, I applied to their DO program and now got offered a spot in the masters (better than all out rejection I suppose). My top picks though are Touro-CA and Harvard Extension. If not, at least I have NY as backup (but it's uber competitive).

I guess, we'll probably hear back by next Thursday, I suppose since Nasha said the wait time is approximately 3-4 weeks. 1,5 more weeks to go.

I guess, we'll probably hear back by next Thursday, I suppose since Nasha said the wait time is approximately 3-4 weeks. 1,5 more weeks to go.
Oh that's interesting. I didn't even think to ask if she meant 3-4 weeks from the date we submitted our applications (which for me was Mar 14), or 3-4 weeks from now. hmmm....

Last edited:
Interesting.

Oh that's interesting. I didn't even think to ask if she meant 3-4 weeks from the date we submitted our applications (which for me was Mar 14), or 3-4 weeks from now. hmmm....

It should be 3-4 weeks from when she sent us that completed e-mail (Mine is also March 14). She did mention this year is the first year they did rolling admissions, so it maybe longer than that. All this waiting is making me nervous, but the fact that I haven't receive the rejection e-mail yet tells me I am still in the pool.

I found out about this program the day after apps were due (April 2nd) and I applied anyway just in case... But I'm sure anyone applying after the deadline is going to be rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I found out about this program the day after apps were due (April 2nd) and I applied anyway just in case... But I'm sure anyone applying after the deadline is going to be rejected.

What do you mean? The application is not due until June 3rd. Why did you think it is April 2nd?

I got some clarification just now @RealityDream The Committee changed the Program cycle to “rolling admissions: a couple weeks back. I am assuming they mean 3-4 weeks from that date as they are now processing applications.
-Naisha Bible

I got some clarification just now @RealityDream The Committee changed the Program cycle to “rolling admissions: a couple weeks back. I am assuming they mean 3-4 weeks from that date as they are now processing applications.
-Naisha Bible

Interesting. I recalled when I submitted my application: March 17...the cycle was already in rolling admissions. Well, I read it from the FAQ.

Interesting. I recalled when I submitted my application: March 17...the cycle was already in rolling admissions. Well, I read it from the FAQ.
Ya when I applied I got an email saying it was now rolling admissions as well.

Ya when I applied I got an email saying it was now rolling admissions as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait for at least another week to 1 month. We're still in the pool as long as we haven't receive the official denial letter/e-mail.

How did you find out they accept 60 students? I didn't see it from their website.

Did anybody only received the submitted email and did not receive a complete email?

Hey guys, for MSMHS program,

What gpa is used? AACOMAS or similar system to aamcas? I guess better way of saying this is how does retake gpa is factored in?

What gpa and MCAT would get me accepted into this?
I have AACOMAS gpa of 3.0-3.1 applying this coming cycle.

Thank you

Hey guys, for MSMHS program,

What gpa is used? AACOMAS or similar system to aamcas? I guess better way of saying this is how does retake gpa is factored in?

What gpa and MCAT would get me accepted into this?
I have AACOMAS gpa of 3.0-3.1 applying this coming cycle.

Thank you

I had to download an excel file and plug in the science class prerequisites, plus any additional relevant science classes, into that file. It calculates a gpa for you. My AACOMAS sgpa is a 3.48 but for the app it said mine was a 3.55.. Not sure how that happened but it did.

You don't need an MCAT score to apply (I take mine in June and I've already applied.)

The program is for gpa repair and from what little I've read about it (I'm new to this too) a lower gpa is okay but I've read its competitive to get into and even more competitive if you're accepted.

I had to download an excel file and plug in the science class prerequisites, plus any additional relevant science classes, into that file. It calculates a gpa for you. My AACOMAS sgpa is a 3.48 but for the app it said mine was a 3.55.. Not sure how that happened but it did.

You don't need an MCAT score to apply (I take mine in June and I've already applied.)

The program is for gpa repair and from what little I've read about it (I'm new to this too) a lower gpa is okay but I've read its competitive to get into and even more competitive if you're accepted.

Do you know if we can use LOR that was intended for med school purpose on this program?

Do you know how we go about submitting our letters? I am pretty sure I messed up the last part of the app where it asked who your letter submitters would be.. I was in a rush because I thought I was applying after the due date. I have them saved on a site called veCollect.

Also about letters,
is there way we can submit letters via interfolio? I have letters saved there

I got an email from admissions saying I'd get a refund because I applied late, then an admissions advisor told me to submit my paperwork anyway (LORs & official transcripts) before April 20th so I guess I'm good. Fingers crossed.

I got an email from admissions saying I'd get a refund because I applied late, then an admissions advisor told me to submit my paperwork anyway (LORs & official transcripts) before April 20th so I guess I'm good. Fingers crossed.

i guess I'm not applying afterall hahaha.... sigh