Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
happy hour where? let me know, there are places that are better than others, lol. Why not just come to my restuarant in fremont, lol. hahahahahaha. oh welps, keep me posted.

YIPPY class of 2011111111111111111 YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!!!

Congrats too all who have been accepted to Touro Class 2011 and to those who will be accepted!!!

Does anybody know when orientation week will start???

I have heard some rumors that this years orientation might be starting at end of july instead of early august....but this info may be wrong!

Best Wishes to all!!!!!!!!!!:luck: :luck:

So, I am definitely going to need a beer after trying to take care of all of the health screen. I have titers for everything, but they STILL require us to get the Chickenpox vaccine? I haven't emailed Dr. Daly yet about this, but I actually had to sit in the NP's office and TRY to convince her to give me the darn vaccine, after all, it IS in BOLD on the health screen form that having HAD chickenpox is not enough (though I need to read up on the literature concerning the apparent mistrust of a positive antibody test), and instead she wrote out this prescription that says, "since there are positive titres, there is no need for the vaccine." AH! Darn. I have already been to Kaiser twice, once for the gyn and the other for the physical. Boy is that a beaurocratic nightmare. Not to mention the fact that the NP said, "how do I perform an osteopathic structural exam on you?" which is a good point, but I don't know yet, so I can't exactly help her to fill out that part of the eval, nor are there any DO's at my Kaiser branch. Have any of you encountered these issues?
I approached the immunization topic persistently (all the right arguments, like I will be working in a healthcare setting, I absolutely NEED to fulfill the requirements before matriculation...yaddayadda) with the NP and she still would not prescribe the chickenpox vaccine, perhaps I just have to pay out of pocket?
See you all at happy hour:):cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question about the Chick Pox vaccine, so I called the school and talked to some dr in student health. he said that it was a new nationwide law for all incoming students who will be working in clinical settings. But I don't know the reason for it.
I emailed and called Dr Daly about the vaccine and she has not gotten back to me. She is difficult to get a hold of. If you find anything more about this, post it on the forum.

Yes, I was wondering about the vaccine as well. My doctor's appt isn't until much later this month. I hadn't noticed the osteo structural exam.

9 more weeks until I am living in Cali!!!!!!! :)

Yes, I was wondering about the vaccine as well. My doctor's appt isn't until much later this month. I hadn't noticed the osteo structural exam.

9 more weeks until I am living in Cali!!!!!!! :)

Hello everyone!, Its been a while and I'm finally back from Europe!

GProtein, when are you moving out there? My friend (and future roomie) and I are flying out this weekend to get a place to live and then we are moving out at the end of June! We don't have an official date, but it'll be then. We are going to look at Sterling and some of the others.

oh, duh 9 weeks :p, so beginning of June?

Regarding the varicella vaccine, I have had the same response, except I am opposed to getting it. I asked my doctor, as well as my physician friends and colleagues, and they all agree that you shouldn't get the vaccine if you've already had chickenpox and especially if your titers show you're immune. I haven't heard of any new laws. I e-mailed Dr. Daly ages ago and never received a response from her. To be honest, I'm disappointed that there would be such a requirement without an explanation or someone we could go to with questions. My doctor, too, said she would not give it to me if my titers showed I was immune and would write a letter to that effect. If someone has more information, please let us know.

Thank you.

Sorry this is completely unrelated to the previous talk about the vaccines, but I heard through the grapevine that since Touro is a Jewish school that students usually get done early on Fridays? I only wonder because I have a really good friend getting married in August on a Friday and am excited that I might be able to go if that's the case.
Thanks!

The ACHA (American College Health Association) has the following guidelines regarding varicella:

Two doses of the vaccine for: all college students without other evidence of immunity (e.g., born in the US before 1980, a history of disease, two prior doses of varicella vaccine, or a positive antibody).

And all health sciences students without a history of disease, with one prior dose of vaccine, or with a negative antibody titer should receive a total of two dose of vaccine.

It appears that a titer showing positive antibodies should be sufficient.

The CDC has the following to say (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00042990.htm):

A reliable history of varicella is a valid measure of immunity. Because the rash is distinctive and subclinical cases rarely occur, most parents know if their child has had varicella. A negative history of varicella substantiated by a parent may be more accurate than a self-reported negative history given by an adult. Data from one study indicated that the attack rate following household exposure in parents who reported themselves as being susceptible was 5%; however, among children whose parents reported them as being susceptible, the attack rate was 87%. In children with positive histories, the attack rate was 7% (45).

Serologic tests have been used to assess the accuracy of reported histories of varicella (1,26,42,46,47). In adults, a positive history of varicella is highly predictive of serologic immunity (97%-99% of persons are seropositive); however, the majority of adults who have negative or uncertain histories are also seropositive (71%-93%).

The appropriateness of a laboratory test to detect antibody to VZV depends on the purpose for obtaining the information; tests differ in their ability to detect antibody acquired from natural varicella versus antibody acquired from vaccination -- levels of which are lower than those following natural infection. Likewise, tests that rapidly assess the susceptibility of persons at high risk who are exposed to varicella differ from those used in serologic surveys. Certain tests require equipment or techniques that are not appropriate for general diagnostic laboratories. Thus, the criteria for selection of an antibody-detection assay include test sensitivity and specificity, the length of time required to obtain results, and availability of the assay.

Health-Care Workers *

All susceptible health-care workers should ensure that they are immune to varicella. In health-care institutions, serologic screening of personnel who have a negative or uncertain history of varicella is likely to be cost effective.

Routine testing for varicella immunity after two doses of vaccine is not necessary for the management of vaccinated health-care workers who may be exposed to varicella, because 99% of persons are seropositive after the second dose. Seroconversion, however, does not always result in full protection against disease. Testing vaccinees for seropositivity immediately after exposure to VZV is a potentially effective strategy for identifying persons who remain at risk for varicella. Prompt serologic results may be obtained using the LA test. Varicella is unlikely to develop in persons who have detectable antibody; persons who do not have such antibody can be retested in 5-6 days to determine if an anamnestic response is present, in which case development of disease is unlikely. Persons who remain susceptible may be furloughed. Alternatively, persons can be monitored daily to determine clinical status and then furloughed at the onset of manifestations of varicella. Institutional guidelines are needed for the management of exposed vaccinees who do not have detectable antibody and for persons who develop clinical varicella.

More information is needed concerning the risk for transmission of vaccine virus from vaccinees in whom varicella-like rash develops following vaccination. On the basis of available data, the risk appears to be minimal, and the benefits of vaccinating susceptible health-care workers outweigh this potential risk. As a safeguard, institutions may wish to consider precautions for personnel in whom rash develops following vaccination and for other vaccinated personnel who will have contact with susceptible persons at high risk for serious complications.

Vaccination should be considered for unvaccinated health-care workers who are exposed to varicella and whose immunity is not documented. However, because the protective effects of postexposure vaccination are unknown, persons vaccinated after an exposure should be managed in the manner recommended for unvaccinated persons.

Both healthy and immunocompromised children and adults who have positive histories of varicella (except for bone-marrow transplant recipients) can be considered immune (see Recommendations for the Use of Varicella Virus Vaccine). However, varicella may develop in some infants after exposure despite the presence of detectable antibody, although in most circumstances such illness is less severe than the illness occurring in infants who do not have detectable antibody. Therefore, sensitive assays may not be useful in assessing whether clinical disease will develop in neonates or young infants exposed to varicella.

Revised criteria for evidence of immunuty to varicella includes any of the following:

1. Documentation of age-appropriate vaccination:
a. Preschool-aged chilren greater than 12 months of age: one dose...etc.

2. Laboratory evidence of immunity or laboratory confirmation of disease

I have been unable to find anything suggesting health care workers should receive vaccinations despite proof of immunity. I'm baffled.

To my knowledge, Fridays are generally half-days--I think ending around noon or 1 pm.

Also, it's been said that orientation starts on August 1st, but that has not been confirmed by the school.

Lastly, what are people doing for health insurance if you're unmarried and therefore can't be on your spouses (provided they have it too)?

Thanks,
Stephanie

I finally got a hold of student services. I talked to Barbara, and she said that the documented titer w/lab report showing documented immunity to chx pox will be sufficient. then you don't have to get the vaccine. the letter isn't really clear on that.
Also, Dr Daly no longer works at Touro, which is why no one could get a hold of her.

Thank you Alexis! This is great news!

Members don't see this ad :)
June 1st is our big move day. Although, it'll take a couple of days to arrive. I am so excited and can't stop thinking about it!!

Digital01 - how was Europe?? What countries did you visit?

Yea, it's gonna take us a while to get out there too lol. I think we are gonna stop by and see some friends on the way out making it even longer though.

Europe was amazing! We went to Scotland, Ireland, England, Czech Republic, Italy, and Spain!

haha, I just mapquested from my doorstep to the school....

Total Est. Time: 38 hours, 22 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 2642.10 miles

I have been unable to find anything suggesting health care workers should receive vaccinations despite proof of immunity. I'm baffled.

I hadn't either, and I currently work in immunology, so this truly confused me since the only effective vaccine (truly) is to have a history of chicken pox....and I have the scars (and titer) to prove it. Thank goodness. Thanks! Now onto the osteopathic structural exam....

i'm confused about this osteopathical exam...i don't remember seeing it on any of the forms. am i just blind or is there another form that needs to be filled out? sorry, any input would be great...thanks!

less than 4 months to go...i'm so excited to meet everyone soon!!! congrats to any new accepted students.

Hi Everyone,
Lookng forward to staring school with you in August.

Questions:

1. Since I paid my deposit, I haven't done anything. Can someone catch me up on what I need to do? i.e. health forms, fafsa??

2. Is there an official listserv for the class?

3. Who should I call at touro to discuss a question/concern I have about the rotations/curriculum?

Thanks!
-shotwell

i'm confused about this osteopathical exam...i don't remember seeing it on any of the forms. am i just blind or is there another form that needs to be filled out? sorry, any input would be great...thanks!

less than 4 months to go...i'm so excited to meet everyone soon!!! congrats to any new accepted students.

hrmm... i don't see it either....

lol

Just registered to start posting so I just wanted to say that I got my acceptance this past Monday! Woot! Oh, and I interviewed on March 19th....fyi: Mark, you were in my same group.

anyone fighting for a dorm spot/ let me know. i think i'll be living in the dorms. i guess the comfort of having the library right next to me makes it really appealing, since i can't study at a starbucks. hahahaha, waking up for class like 5 minutes before sounds good too, lol.

hrmm... i don't see it either....

lol

Boy you guys worried me a bit. I printed out my form early, and since some "revamping" has been happening, I thought I may have gone through all that for nothing...BUT....
If you read through the physical exam, there are several areas to cover:
Skin
Eyes
Ears
Nose/Sinus...etc.
then....if you read down farther, you'll hit Osteopathic Structural Exam. It is something that my primary care provider did not feel comfortable signing me off on. I actually think it would be great to actually get an osteopathic structural exam from a professional, but I don't know who is covered by my healthcare plan. Now do you see it? I've attached it here for your perusal:)

Attachments

• PhysicalExam.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 220
Hi Everyone,
Lookng forward to staring school with you in August.

Questions:

1. Since I paid my deposit, I haven't done anything. Can someone catch me up on what I need to do? i.e. health forms, fafsa??

2. Is there an official listserv for the class?

3. Who should I call at touro to discuss a question/concern I have about the rotations/curriculum?

Thanks!
-shotwell

Well, the FAFSA deadline was early March, so I certainly hope you completed your taxes and subsequent FAFSA before the Cali deadline...yikes (sorry to scare you, but I come from a beaurocratic country in which you don't breathe without a consent form). Then you have to turn in your financial aid packet (which you should have gotten in the mail) or you can download it a the tu.edu website. This is where you'll have to pick a lender. I suggest talking directly with the financial aid office if you have specific questions about that, also, if you peruse the forum, we have discussed some details as well. Then, you should have gotten a packet on health-related requirements (which you can also get online tu.edu-->resources-->TU-CA Forms-->New Students---Health History /Physical Examination form and Certificate of Immunity/Tuberculosis Screening Form.)
Rumor has it that a listserv will be assembled in May.
Dr. Towne is the rotations director so I would contact her about specific questions with regards to rotations. Also, typically, specific questions can be answered by asking Touro students (such as those found on this lovely forum.) phew....ok, yes it's a Friday night and I am up doing this, but don't get used to it:):love:

OH, and don't forget your $1000 extra deposit is due by May 15th.

I talked to admissions office yesterday... They said, class is scheduled to start between the 15-20 August 2007. The firm start date is expected by mid to late May.

The dates are a little different than the previously stated start dates.

I'll be out there looking at apartments on monday!

When is everyone moving out there?

Looks like I'll be moving out around June 25-30

wow.. those dates sound at least a week different.... but good days ....

about the osteopathic exam... my doc at Kaiser filled out the whole form and then gave me a funny look when she saw that ... she then stated that I didn't look crooked and marked it off .... YaY for Kaiser ....:rolleyes:

Just registered to start posting so I just wanted to say that I got my acceptance this past Monday! Woot! Oh, and I interviewed on March 19th....fyi: Mark, you were in my same group.

hye congrats. how was the vegas interview?

Boy you guys worried me a bit. I printed out my form early, and since some "revamping" has been happening, I thought I may have gone through all that for nothing...BUT....
If you read through the physical exam, there are several areas to cover:
Skin
Eyes
Ears
Nose/Sinus...etc.
then....if you read down farther, you'll hit Osteopathic Structural Exam. It is something that my primary care provider did not feel comfortable signing me off on. I actually think it would be great to actually get an osteopathic structural exam from a professional, but I don't know who is covered by my healthcare plan. Now do you see it? I've attached it here for your perusal:)

Thanks so much for that! I thought it was a really big part of the form, but I guess not really...since it seems they have to just say yey and ney.

Thanks again!!!

who's looking for roomates for off campus?

PM me if interested

hye congrats. how was the vegas interview?

Thanks man, grats to you too. The Vegas interview was definitely a lot more laid back. Got my acceptance there on a Friday, but didn't receive my acceptance to Mare Island till Monday...I was freaking out waiting for the news. Did you make a choice as to which school you're going to?

keep it going 2011, we've got a ton of work in front of us, who wants to share a house going in?

I'd be interested. do you have more details?

Not any real details, just willing to share a house close to campus and make it sweet, I've predominently been looking at craig's list, but I've also seen others close and good
What are you thinking?

Hi all,

For all of you trying to sort out the financial loan info, I thought I'd give you a resource that some Touro people have found very helpful.

It's a non-profit lender that ONLY deals with loans to graduate students. They are small and independent and give you a ever so slightly better rate than the big banks. They can do this because they are a not-for-profit bank. Their web based app is the easiest thing to fill out, even for someone like me who finds these kinds of things totally overwhelming.

Even if you don't need a lender, they will ANALYZE all your student debt / lender info for you and tell you your lifetime totals, how much you will eventually pay, etc. Very handy tool. And it's free.

http://www.graduateleverage.com/

They answer questions on the phone too: (877) 552 9903.

All you need to finalize your loan is the "Estimated Cost of Attendance" total from Touro. Here's the link for your class. http://www.tu.edu/user_files/16/TUCOM_07-08_1st_Year_Budget.doc

In case you didn't already know this, one year ago, the fed govt started a new loan program for graduate students called "GradPlus." What this means is that you no longer need to take out a costly "alternative" or "private" loan. You just need your #1 Stafford and #2 GradPlus. Graduate Leverage will do both in one application (as will many other lenders.)

So, all together, you have to:
#1 Fill out a FASFA on-line.
#2 Fill out a written Touro Financial Aid application & loan request statement.
#3 Apply for a loan (stafford & grad plus) from a lender (bank.)

Hope this helps some poor soul out there.

Bryan

PS - Don't stress about your health forms. You can sort it out and ask your questions IN PERSON after you get to campus. I'm at the end of my second year and I'm STILL sorting out the details of my titers, physical and immunizations. Touro is notoriously difficult to deal with on this issue. It all works out in the end. :)

Hey all,
Anyone going to Touro-MI from the east. I am from NJ and really excited about moving out west. Can't wait to start med school and meet you all!!

Just wanted to say howdy! <-- I have been in Texas way tooo long!

Wish I could see you guys next Friday... too bad I'll be in Los Angeles during the outing! You guys have oodles of fun!

:)

Yea, it's gonna take us a while to get out there too lol. I think we are gonna stop by and see some friends on the way out making it even longer though.

Europe was amazing! We went to Scotland, Ireland, England, Czech Republic, Italy, and Spain!

Nice! :)

I have been stuck at work lately. My students have the statewide science test, which is notoriously known to keep students from graduating. Needless to say it's been a lot of work.

Next week I'll be in Vallejo looking for a place to live and then flying to Los Angeles to see some famile!

Thanks man, grats to you too. The Vegas interview was definitely a lot more laid back. Got my acceptance there on a Friday, but didn't receive my acceptance to Mare Island till Monday...I was freaking out waiting for the news. Did you make a choice as to which school you're going to?

Congratulations! Did you and Markboonya decide that you will be joining us as well?

If any of y'all are in the bay area, swing by my restaurant. Let me know. yatta power!

What's your restaurant called... and how far is it from Vallejo??

Congratulations! Did you and Markboonya decide that you will be joining us as well?

Thanks! I'm finalizing my decision and I'm set on choosing Mare Island. I'll be sending in the deposit soon, so that should make it official. I hear there's a get together for the incoming class....is that still occuring?

Hi Miaozer!

Congrats on making the decision. PM or email me to get your email on the evite. It's next Friday, April 20th starting at 5 pm in the Mission district.

Thanks,
Stephanie

steffidaniel at yahoo dot com

What's your restaurant called... and how far is it from Vallejo??

about an hour southwest from vallejo. It's near hayward, if you know where that is, and san jose. hahahahaha. w00000t!

Ah, just got back.

My friend and I ended up deciding on Broadstone Sterling, very nice place to live and very close to school!

Hi Miaozer!

Congrats on making the decision. PM or email me to get your email on the evite. It's next Friday, April 20th starting at 5 pm in the Mission district.

Thanks,
Stephanie

steffidaniel at yahoo dot com

Thanks! I'll send you a PM for more info.

To those of you already in the Bay Area, any suggestions about cell phone providers? My contract is up, and I'm debating whether to keep Verizon or not?

Digital01 - that's one of the places I am considering to live in as well. Was wondering, what is the current deposit they are asking for?? and do they have any specials going on right now?? I will be in town next week for a day and hopefully decide on a place.

About the phone, I just switched to Verizon. I had T-Mobile during the interview and reception around some parts of Northern Cali were sketchy. Specifically, around Mountain View and Palo Alto where a good friend of mine lives (although, to be fair this is a good hour to hour and half drive from Vallejo)!

I have T-Mobile and am pretty happy with it. Their service is all digital so you don't get the switch to analog in remote areas and hence no service. But I really like the my faves plan since my good friends and family live out of state and it helps me save minutes.

you can't go wrong with verizon or cingular in the bay area. those are the two best services. I would stay away from metro pcs, and t-mobile, and I believe nextel in the bay area. I used to have nextel, but there are certain areas, where the signal just gives out, and it shouldn't, plus their technology is mad old.

hope that helps.