TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

They emailed me and said my file is not complete untill I am done with MCAT so i guess i have to wait till then. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yay! got mine today. not too bad, except for the fee!!

Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an MS-2 (or will be in a couple weeks) at TouroCOM-NY. I'll periodically check out the thread so if you guys have questions feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to get back to them. Also, I'm sure there are a number of new MS-1's that will be willing to share their application and interview process since theirs were different than mine.

Good luck to you all and I wish you the best!

Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an MS-2 (or will be in a couple weeks) at TouroCOM-NY. I'll periodically check out the thread so if you guys have questions feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to get back to them. Also, I'm sure there are a number of new MS-1's that will be willing to share their application and interview process since theirs were different than mine.

Good luck to you all and I wish you the best!

Thanks Colbert, we appreciate your time and inside knowledge. Does a secondary invite to touro still guarantee you an interview? The language on the secondary itself seems to be somewhat ambiguous on this point.

$200 is a lot for a secondary, but I do like the school. I'm sure its just to discourage everyone from applying to it as a backup.

Where did you see that a secondary = an interview?

$200 is a lot for a secondary, but I do like the school.

Where did you see that a secondary = an interview?

For the last two years that is what they did. Hence the large fee.

For the last two years that is what they did. Hence the large fee.

Wow that's interesting! I would love to interview there. Thanks, and lets hope they keep it that way!

Wow that's interesting! I would love to interview there. Thanks, and lets hope they keep it that way!

yep, gold5 is right it use to be a guaranteed interview, i would just ask admissions to see if that is still the case. feel free to ask anyone of one of us, if you have questions about the admissions process.

Hey Colbert-

How do you feel about attending such a new school? I know that there will be kinks along the way (every school has them) but I wonder what's it like to attend a place that doesn't have a ton of years behind it. I know the Touro "family" has been around longer, but with every new school they face new challenges.

Just curious, more so than anything else at this point (my aacomas is not yet verified...sad...).

For those wondering, at Touro in Harlem, if you get complete a secondary and pay the large fee, you are guaranteed an interview. I can confirm this as it has been like that for the past 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about having a letter of rec. from an M.D. rather than a D.O. One the college website it says:

" Further, a letter of recommendation must be sent by a physician (D.O. or M.D.)."

The reason I ask is because the M.D. I have a letter from can speak volumes more about my potential to be a doctor (research/shadowing I did with him), rather than a D.O. that I would shadow for a week.

Thoughts?

For those wondering, at Touro in Harlem, if you get complete a secondary and pay the large fee, you are guaranteed an interview. I can confirm this as it has been like that for the past 2 years.

Thats great to hear. I know that they screen the primary, I wonder how many get in after the interview.

I like the whole idea of what they are doing and would love to be a part of it.

For you MSI and MSII's:

1. How do you like it so far?

2.Is it feasible to bring my american bulldog with me?!? I know its in the city and worry some about crime also but it seems that Harlem in particular really has improved in the past decade. I would never want to put girlfriend in jeopardy.

3. Is it feasible to get a place between Touro and Columbia ?

Thanks for all the help, its exciting!

Thats great to hear. I know that they screen the primary, I wonder how many get in after the interview.

For you MSI and MSII's:

2.Is it feasible to bring my american bulldog with me?!? I know its in the city and worry some about crime also but it seems that Harlem in particular really has improved in the past decade. I would never want to put girlfriend in jeopardy.

1) I am going to be a MSI in a week, so i cant answer that

2)yes, you dont have to live all the way uptown, you can live midtown around Columbus circle (around 59th street) and it is one subway stop away from touro with the express train ( A or D). It is about ten minutes away by train. The rent will be higher around 1400 or so a month per person. But the places are really nice, and you definately get the manhattan feel. you can bring your dog. They are plently of places that are pets friendly. You would run into more problems if you had a rotwiller but a bulldog isnt that big.

3) columbia is on the other side of where touro is . It is about 20-25 min walk from touro. I am sure you can find a place between them. There were a few places on broadway and 125 which had a ton of columbia students and were like 10-15 minute walk away.

What the hell do you put for the secondary application question? It seems identical to the personal statement.

1) I am going to be a MSI in a week, so i cant answer that

2)yes, you dont have to live all the way uptown, you can live midtown around Columbus circle (around 59th street) and it is one subway stop away from touro with the express train ( A or D). It is about ten minutes away by train. The rent will be higher around 1400 or so a month per person. But the places are really nice, and you definately get the manhattan feel. you can bring your dog. They are plently of places that are pets friendly. You would run into more problems if you had a rotwiller but a bulldog isnt that big.

3) columbia is on the other side of where touro is . It is about 20-25 min walk from touro. I am sure you can find a place between them. There were a few places on broadway and 125 which had a ton of columbia students and were like 10-15 minute walk away.

Thanks so much for info!

What percentage of interviewed applicants is accepted then?

What the hell do you put for the secondary application question? It seems identical to the personal statement.

I used my aacomas PS and they were fine with it, i would call them to make sure if that it is still acceptable

What percentage of interviewed applicants is accepted then?

They are fairly picky since they have only 135 seats and no preference for instaters. It will be one of the most difficult interviews you will go through. Dont want to scare anyone, but be prepared and dont show you get flustered easily under pressure. Hell i made it in :p.

Last edited:

For you MSI and MSII's:

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks! But I will say that the people in admissions, especially Mr. Figueroa, are extremely helpful.

I used my aacomas PS and they were fine with it, i would call them to make sure if that it is still acceptable
LOL then what is the point of asking at all? I mean great if its still true.
They are fairly picky since they have only 135 seats and no preference for instaters. It will be one of the most difficult interviews you will go through. Dont want to scare anyone, but be prepared and dont show you get flustered easily under pressure. Hell i made it in :p.

LOL oh god, sounds like fun.

They let you use the same PS?!?! I guess I'll call on that, I don't want to come off as lazy or careless....

Tried Obed, and Issa but neither answered. I'll keep trying, I am sure they're pretty busy at the moment.

You can try
cleardot.gif
[email protected]

she is the one that sent me the email for an interview. Maybe call tourocom up and ask to speak with her. Obed generally does respond to email's pretty fast

EDIT: Her ext is 4550

You can try
cleardot.gif
[email protected]

she is the one that sent me the email for an interview. Maybe call tourocom up and ask to speak with her. Obed generally does respond to email's pretty fast

EDIT: Her ext is 4550

Thanks so much I'll try it.

Did you guys get the secondary by mail or email? Is it done online or fill out/mail in w/ check?

email. fill in/mail out w/ check or money order. $200.

So there is just one essay question: the personal statement (which some in here think we can use the AACOMAS for) for their secondary application? Thanks.

So there is just one essay question: the personal statement (which some in here think we can use the AACOMAS for) for their secondary application? Thanks.

Last year's question was:

Question: Discuss your aims in seeking admission to the college of osteopathic medicine. Include items such ad your personal and academic background, goals, experiences that nurtured your interest specifically your "shadowing" experience and other factors you consider relevant.

I wrote something differnet than the AACOMAS statement and I would encourage all of you to do the same.

This year:
On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your "shadowing" experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission. (no more than 2 pages)

Last year's question was:

Question: Discuss your aims in seeking admission to the college of osteopathic medicine. Include items such ad your personal and academic background, goals, experiences that nurtured your interest specifically your “shadowing” experience and other factors you consider relevant.

I wrote something differnet than the AACOMAS statement and I would encourage all of you to do the same.

Should I build off of it? I was thinking about writing one focused on reasons of Osteopathic medicine as many of the things they ask for were covered in my Primary PS.

Called today, no respone :/

Should I build off of it? I was thinking about writing one focused on reasons of Osteopathic medicine as many of the things they ask for were covered in my Primary PS.

Called today, no respone :/

That is what I did. I took one or two ideas from my AACOMAS PS and built off of it. Mostly on my medical experience and desire to go into medicine.

Getting somebody on the phone can be difficult, therefore I would recommend sending an email to Obed. His responses are usually pithy but he will get back to you within a day or so.

FYI Obed is a very nice guy when you meet him on your interview.

Gold

I see that they want the PS again,
but what about all the other information that seems identical to the AACOMAS questions...

those of you who already went through this process, did you rewrite your work experiences, honors and awards and all that good stuff, or did you leave it blank?

I thought I'd ask here first before e-mailing a bunch of the people at the office, (I tried to call a couple times, no response)

What do you guys think?

I see that they want the PS again,
but what about all the other information that seems identical to the AACOMAS questions...

those of you who already went through this process, did you rewrite your work experiences, honors and awards and all that good stuff, or did you leave it blank?

I thought I'd ask here first before e-mailing a bunch of the people at the office, (I tried to call a couple times, no response)

What do you guys think?

I rewrote it

i reworked my PS to include some more information, especially since this essay can be 2 pages. and then filled out everything within the form.

question: under employment history/health care experience, did you include only employment and volunteer that was health related? or all employment and health care experiences (paid and unpaid).

i reworked my PS to include some more information, especially since this essay can be 2 pages. and then filled out everything within the form.

question: under employment history/health care experience, did you include only employment and volunteer that was health related? or all employment and health care experiences (paid and unpaid).

I did my 3 most recent since it was three spaces...2 were paid one was volunteer. 2 were health related 1 wasn't.

when putting in work experience,
what does it mean, "in what capacity" ?

Interview Invite! Yay!

Anyone know what's a good hotel to stay at?? (I think were gonna go the weekend before my interview, since I've never been to NYC before..)

Thanks!

Interview Invite! Yay!

Anyone know what's a good hotel to stay at?? (I think were gonna go the weekend before my interview, since I've never been to NYC before..)

Thanks!

Congrads! How long have you been complete there? Should be a fun trip.

They emailed me a couple days ago saying they had my supp but no LOR, emailed the next day with confirmation of LOR, then 2 days later invite. Yay! I don't think i'm going to Touro-NV anymore since I have this one. Can't afford to fly to these places, I need some love within driving distance! :)

They emailed me a couple days ago saying they had my supp but no LOR, emailed the next day with confirmation of LOR, then 2 days later invite. Yay! I don't think i'm going to Touro-NV anymore since I have this one. Can't afford to fly to these places, I need some love within driving distance! :)

Sweet, well I got the no LOR email two days ago so maybe something will happen soon. I hope to join you!

I got the interview invite today too, I never got an email saying I was complete or that they received my secondary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.