TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did u get in Chup? I got the call yesterday. I'm in!!!

Anyways, does anyone know wat day students are mandated to show up to Touro? I know August 3rd starts orientation week. Are we required to be there the entire orientation week or can we show up towards the end of the week? I still dont know what I'll do with the housing situation :(

Does anyone know what day the final exam will be for first semester? All I know is last day of instruction is Dec 11th.

You should definitely plan on being there for orientation. You get your financial aid disbursement, set up your school e-mail, set up your Blackboard account. Plus clear up any administrative stuff you might have forgotten to turn in or the school had a problem with. You can look for housing on the facebook group for the class of 2013. I think a lot of people are still looking for a place. The final day of exams is Dec. 21st.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely plan on being there for orientation. You get your financial aid disbursement, set up your school e-mail, set up your Blackboard account. Plus clear up any administrative stuff you might have forgotten to turn in or the school had a problem with. You can look for housing on the facebook group for the class of 2013. I think a lot of people are still looking for a place. The final day of exams is Dec. 21st.

FYI I wouldn't count on getting financial aid until the end of August or early September. I believe that is when we received it last year.

I'm panicking to find a roommate/place to stay. I'm arriving in NYC on Sunday w/ no one to pick up, having no clue where I'm going, and places that I can check out don't open until Monday, but I have to be at Touro on Monday. Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone looking for a roommate or know someone looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm panicking to find a roommate/place to stay. I'm arriving in NYC on Sunday w/ no one to pick up, having no clue where I'm going, and places that I can check out don't open until Monday, but I have to be at Touro on Monday. Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone looking for a roommate or know someone looking for a roommate?

There's a YMCA near the school that isn't a bad temporary option. I believe it's $250/week to stay there.

Are students allowed to wear jeans to school at Touro? I thought I read somewhere they have a dress code but not sure if they really inforce it.

Hey, do they still require a letter of recommendation from an MD or DO? If so, how did some of you guys go about obtaining that? I haven't shadowed a doc or DO, but I've volunteered at hospitals. I'm not too sure how to get a recommendation... Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks!

Hey, do they still require a letter of recommendation from an MD or DO? If so, how did some of you guys go about obtaining that? I haven't shadowed a doc or DO, but I've volunteered at hospitals. I'm not too sure how to get a recommendation... Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks!

Well I found a DO to shadow for a week, and then towards the end of the week I just asked him if he would mind writing a letter of recommendation on my behalf for medical school. He was more than happy.

If you don't know any doctors that you could ask from the hospital, or if you want to shadow a DO go to the AOA website and search for a DO in your area. Look on the list and just give them a call. It might take a few calls, but it'll work if your persistent.

hey guys, apparently there are 2 threads for this school, so im reposting on this thread...i just got my MCAT scores back and im waiting for AACOMAS to receive them. TUCOM-NY is my #1 DO program and i was wondering what you guys think about my chances...considering there are TUCOM students on here, i dont think i could get better advice.

PS: 9
VR: 9
BS: 9
WS: Q

27Q

nothing crazy but a good spread between scores. my gpa is 3.24 both science and cumulative....biggg upward trend (from 2.3). A lot of EC's but yea im jw if i fit the criteria. thanks

hey guys, apparently there are 2 threads for this school, so im reposting on this thread...i just got my MCAT scores back and im waiting for AACOMAS to receive them. TUCOM-NY is my #1 DO program and i was wondering what you guys think about my chances...considering there are TUCOM students on here, i dont think i could get better advice.

PS: 9
VR: 9
BS: 9
WS: Q

27Q

nothing crazy but a good spread between scores. my gpa is 3.24 both science and cumulative....biggg upward trend (from 2.3). A lot of EC's but yea im jw if i fit the criteria. thanks

Seems like they will at least give you an interview...TouroCOM interview A LOT OF people...some people said that TouroCOM is pretty harsh on their interviews, I won't know because I haven't scheduled mine yet. But anyway, give it a shot =)

Are students allowed to wear jeans to school at Touro? I thought I read somewhere they have a dress code but not sure if they really inforce it.

At my interview the admissions director said that the dress code is "business casual." But in the next sentence he said "It's ok to wear jeans and a t-shirt, just nothing with profanity because you are representing the school." So it sounds like it's really not much of a dress code.

Ok so to stop all rumors....Touro NY seems like a good school. I am not quoting another clueless sdn member who is repeating what they have heard, I was there for an interview today.

If you have any questions about the interview, or school pm me.

PEOPLE, can we please stop using this thread? There is a TUCOM-NY thread for 2009-2010....please make any future posts there so there's only one place to get TUCOM-NY info! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.