TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interviewing on 9/23??!

I am=) Spending sat, sun, and mon in NYC before hand since I've never been there.. see you tuesday!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey rm..

Congrats on allllll the interview invites :) I am actually flying out to NY on Sunday and staying until next Saturday with some friends out there... its only my second time in NY so I figured I will see what it has to offer :) See you on tuesday!!

Hey everyone! Hope the interviews went well! I was really hoping to meet you guys, but unfortunately was incredibly bogged down (like all my classmates) by studying for our huge first Anatomy exam we have today... I especially wanted to meet you RM, because I too hail from Sagnasty!!! :thumbup: lol

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me an interview invite over a week ago, but I just now found it because they sent it to my old school email (which was never on any app, so I have no idea where they got it from! plus they sent the secondary request to my primary email). Yikes! I hope they don't mind too terribly that it took so long for me to respond. :oops:

They sent me an interview invite over a week ago, but I just now found it because they sent it to my old school email (which was never on any app, so I have no idea where they got it from! plus they sent the secondary request to my primary email). Yikes! I hope they don't mind too terribly that it took so long for me to respond. :oops:

No, I think you will be just fine.

Ok, New Yorkers, I got a question: How long would it take me to get from Penn station to 125th? I know that I can take the A, B, C lines or I could just grab a cab (I'm not going to belabor the price difference); which is faster? Ironically I've done the penn station to 125th trip before (I've got friends at Columbia) but it's been sufficiently long enough that I have no recollection of how long it takes.

I'm thinking of taking the train in that morning before my interview to save myself the $200+ on a hotel room, and I want to make sure I'm not late! (yes this is premature, but I like ironing out details early)

Ok, New Yorkers, I got a question: How long would it take me to get from Penn station to 125th? I know that I can take the A, B, C lines or I could just grab a cab (I'm not going to belabor the price difference); which is faster? Ironically I've done the penn station to 125th trip before (I've got friends at Columbia) but it's been sufficiently long enough that I have no recollection of how long it takes

subway will probably be faster depending on traffic.

yeah that's what I'm thinking. it's like a 15 min ride? maybe a little longer? something like that, I imagine.
depends wat train you catch, i'm thinking 30 mins. You have to allow time waiting for the correct subway to show up too etc. check out www.hopstop.com , their time estimates are usually pretty good

depends wat train you catch, i'm thinking 30 mins. You have to allow time waiting for the correct subway to show up too etc. check out www.hopstop.com , their time estimates are usually pretty good

dude, sweet website. thanks! I was fiddling with the mta one, but that's way better.

I haven't recieved a secondary but I want to send along my DO LOR so the DO doing it for me can send them all at once. Anyone have the address in which we're supposed to send it? I couldn't find it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.

I haven't recieved a secondary but I want to send along my DO LOR so the DO doing it for me can send them all at once. Anyone have the address in which we're supposed to send it? I couldn't find it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.

You could get Interfolio, unless you're not worried about not having a file at each school yet.

I'd go with:

TOURO COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
230 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027

I found it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could get Interfolio, unless you're not worried about not having a file at each school yet.

I'd go with:

TOURO COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
230 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027

I found it here.

YEah thanks I saw that, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an additional form to fill out, like LECOM makes the DO send a form along with the letter.

YEah thanks I saw that, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an additional form to fill out, like LECOM makes the DO send a form along with the letter.

I never did this form and had no problems with LECOM

:DJust got the acceptance today, interviewed 9/18!! Has anyone else heard back?!?!

Actually my interview was the 17th as well sorry I mixed it up with another school...anyway Congrats!

Yeah, I just received the acceptance email too, hopefully one of many!

Good luck to everyone.

I got an interview invite last week and Im comin on Nov 11. Does the class fill up fast? I dont want to be one of the last people interviewed! That happened at AZCOM last year and I never got off the waitlist! Anyone else comin then?

Just a quick question to something I found a bit ambiguous... I just received an email with my secondary app. attached to it (yeyyy) and it stated that once my file is complete, I will receive an interview invite via email. Does this mean that I am guaranteed an interview if I send the secondary and all necessary materials??? Or is this just like any other secondary??

Just a quick question to something I found a bit ambiguous... I just received an email with my secondary app. attached to it (yeyyy) and it stated that once my file is complete, I will receive an interview invite via email. Does this mean that I am guaranteed an interview if I send the secondary and all necessary materials??? Or is this just like any other secondary??

You are guaranteed an interview if you send in the secondary. I just got mine, too!!! WOOT!!! :D :soexcited:

How many secondaries do they send out?

S.

You are guaranteed an interview if you send in the secondary. I just got mine, too!!! WOOT!!! :D :soexcited:

How many secondaries do they send out?

S.

Woohoo!!! I just called to make sure, prior to reading your post, and they confirmed that you are guaranteed an interview if you send in the secondary!! :D I have no idea how many secondaries they send out. :thumbdown:

Woohoo!!! I just called to make sure, prior to reading your post, and they confirmed that you are guaranteed an interview if you send in the secondary!! :D I have no idea how many secondaries they send out. :thumbdown:

If I remember right, I think they said @ the interview that they interview like 450? don't quote me on that though =)

Sorry to knitpick...but are you granted an interview after they receive your secondary, before they receive recommendations? Just curious! I'm becoming anxious!

I'm not sure if this answers your question...but I believe all LOR's need to be in before they grant you the interview. I emailed someone regarding this matter because my physician LOR was taking very long and the response was...

"TouroCom does not grant interviews to candidates until they submit all documents required for admissions."

hope that helps!

Sorry to knitpick...but are you granted an interview after they receive your secondary, before they receive recommendations? Just curious! I'm becoming anxious!

I think it's when your file is complete, you get the invite...

Exactly. If they sent you a secondary, once your file is complete, you are sent an interview invitation via email.

Has anyone thats been accepted submitted the deposit yet? Mine is due by this sunday or monday and I'm feeling apprehensive, because while I want to keep this spot I still have several interviews to go and I feel bad just giving up $2000! Oh well, I think i'll just bite the bullet.

Also, it says on the intent form that you can submit it electronically, is that true? If so, how do you sign the form at the bottom?

Thanks

In the email I just received, its worded that if you are given an secondary, you are granted an interview if you return all materials they requested.

What does "In-what Capacity?" mean for the Employment History/Health Care Experience

Last edited:
Has anyone thats been accepted submitted the deposit yet? Mine is due by this sunday or monday and I'm feeling apprehensive, because while I want to keep this spot I still have several interviews to go and I feel bad just giving up $2000! Oh well, I think i'll just bite the bullet.

Also, it says on the intent form that you can submit it electronically, is that true? If so, how do you sign the form at the bottom?

Thanks
same here, mine is due monday. I will be receiving a bunch of other decisions within the next two weeks, and I would hate to 'throw away' $2k, I mean it is worth it to guarentee i'm going to med school..but still it is painful. NYC is awesome, and I'm sure you can get a great education at Touro-NY, the newness factor just worries me a bit. I wrote them about paying and returning the form, we can pay by credit card by calling the bursar's office, but they want us to physically mail the form back, I think it is supposed to be received within the two weeks. Let me know if you hear any different about any of that stuff.

Last edited:
I just realized monday is a holiday, so I guess to be within two weeks they need to receive our stuff by friday!

I just realized monday is a holiday, so I guess to be within two weeks they need to receive our stuff by friday!

have you called to ask for an extension? a friend of mine got an extra week-long extension for touro-ca because she's on a student budget and "needed more time to get the money together"/wanted to see if she got into any of the other schools...

have you called to ask for an extension? a friend of mine got an extra week-long extension for touro-ca because she's on a student budget and "needed more time to get the money together"/wanted to see if she got into any of the other schools...
ahh that would have been interesting to try, but I just got back from the post office, too late =)

for those of you who interviewed here....what was the interview like?

for those of you who interviewed here....what was the interview like?
check out the interview feedback database, up top, click medical -> interview feedback

but it was 30 mins, you vs 2 ppl mine was a DO and a Phd. They asked basic interview questions nothing too left field for me, I think it was closed file if I remember correctly

does anyone know if TOUROCOM-NY is closed for Sukkot? I've been trying to email and call a couple of faculty members for the last couple of days and can't get through to them.

does anyone know if TOUROCOM-NY is closed for Sukkot? I've been trying to email and call a couple of faculty members for the last couple of days and can't get through to them.
I know touro-ca was going to be closed for like 12 days or something for sukkot, so NY might be closed as well

We were closed Tuesday and Wednesday for Sukkot, and will be again for this coming Tuesday and Wednesday (Oct 21st and 22nd). Oh and the school is only open for half the day on Monday, Oct. 20th as well. Hope that helps!:)

We were closed Tuesday and Wednesday for Sukkot, and will be again for this coming Tuesday and Wednesday (Oct 21st and 22nd). Oh and the school is only open for half the day on Monday, Oct. 20th as well. Hope that helps!:)

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the holiday closures delay the admissions decision notification? They said they would send an email within two weeks... that is tomorrow for those of us who interviewed on the 7th!
thanks!

If you don't hear anything today or tomorrow, I would assume it is because of all the Jewish holidays that the school has been closed for. I believe it is Touro's policy that the faculty is not to work those days, so there's a good chance they may be a little delayed and in letting you know. Good luck and I hope you hear good things when you do find out!

So I just got the e-mail from Obed Figureoa inviting me to fill out the seconday and interview woo!

200$ boo!

Essay boo!

On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your "shadowing" experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission.

Isn't that the person statement we submitted with the primary? I don't know what to say differently really. Thoughts? Is it okay if its similar to the primary essay?

By the way, how many applicants actually get the secondary/invite? Is it a lot?

Edit: Someone posted above ~450. Is that correct? Wouldn't that mean like 67% acceptance of people who interview assuming they take 300? I mean don't get me wrong, that would be awesome. Just seems too good to be true.

Last edited:
soo i electronically sent in my physician LOR on 10/7/08...soo shouldn't i be complete already/have heard something about interview scheduling? Did it take long for anyone else?? i'm semi-stressing...

soo i electronically sent in my physician LOR on 10/7/08...soo shouldn't i be complete already/have heard something about interview scheduling? Did it take long for anyone else?? i'm semi-stressing...

Check any alternative email addresses you might have. They sent me my interview invite to an email address I haven't used in over a year. No, I have no idea where they got the address from, because it is not located anywhere on my AACOMAS app. Thank goodness I do check it once every week or so for alumni stuff, otherwise I would have never seen it.

If that doesn't work/isn't an option, call them. That usually settles problems fairly quickly.

I sent in my Touro secondary two and a half weeks ago and they already had my letters, but I haven't heard anything yet (and they haven't cashed my check). For those of you that already got your interview invites, how long did it take? It seems like people think the Jewish holidays are slowing things down, but this seems like a really long time.

I haven't called to check yet because I almost want to hold off on this interview in the hopes I am accepted, since they only give you 2 weeks after acceptance to give them that $2k!

hey, this may not technically be the right place to post this, but TOURO-NY will be my first interview, so I will try to make it related. I am just looking for your opinions here, as I have no idea if this issue is even of any consequence:

So legally, my first name is Barthalemuel (changed for privacy reasons) but my whole life I have been called Roger (again, just a representative name), as it is my middle name. Of course, on applications I write that my name is Barthalemuel, but I am 99% sure that I am referred to as Roger in my LOR's. I am interviewing at Touro-NY on the 29th, and my questions to you are:

1) Do you think I should email Obed or Issa to give them a heads up of the situation so that there is no confusion during my application's review?

2) Would it be appropriate to ask the school ahead of time (and other schools) if they could call me Roger at my interview? I just plain don't feel comfortable being addressed as Barthalemuel... I mean, would you? I don't want to introduce myself as Roger to everyone only to be called Barthalemuel later. This always causes problems.

Or do you think I should just forget about it, as they will probably figure it out.
Any advice will be much appreciated!

P.S. khb--check your pm's

Last edited:
isn't there a space on the primary maybe, to list any other names you go by?

I called touro today anddd obed said they are really backed up because of the jewish holidays. If you're waiting to hear from them (like I am) I'm guessing that is the reason! hope this helps others who have been waiting patiently to hear from them. (I was getting really worried and even thought..what if they are reconsidering why they sent me a secondary hahaaa).

2) Would it be appropriate to ask the school ahead of time (and other schools) if they could call me Roger at my interview? I just plain don't feel comfortable being addressed as Barthalemuel... I mean, would you? I don't want to introduce myself as Roger to everyone only to be called Barthalemuel later. This always causes problems.

Uh, you can't deal with it for like 15 minutes during a medical school interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.