TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the priority email this morning as well. The priority waitlist I believe is the same as the "high" waitlist and if previous years can be used as a guide it includes the top 130-150 people. It seems like in the past they have numerically ranked this list and made offers until the class was full, sometimes making it as far the first 70 or so applicants.

In the past there has also been a medium and low waitlist, both of which mean a slim to none chance of getting an offer.

I know they sent out two very different waitlist letters to the people in my interview group, some were told that helpful information would follow and others were told flat out that they would not be ranked so maybe they decide who is priority and who isn't when they initially waitlist you.

Anyway this is all just me guessing based on what I have observed and what has happened in the past, it may be different this year since Mr Perez is new.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Mr. Perez to see if he could shed some light on the "priority wait list" situation. Also, I noticed my email says if a seat for the class of 2015 opens up? I'm wondering if that is just a typo? Anyways, I will let you know if he responds with additional information.

Best of luck to everyone!

hah mine too, maybe they are going to bump us straight into MS2 for being so patient on the waitlist;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the priority email this morning as well. The priority waitlist I believe is the same as the "high" waitlist and if previous years can be used as a guide it includes the top 130-150 people. It seems like in the past they have numerically ranked this list and made offers until the class was full, sometimes making it as far the first 70 or so applicants.

In the past there has also been a medium and low waitlist, both of which mean a slim to none chance of getting an offer.

I know they sent out two very different waitlist letters to the people in my interview group, some were told that helpful information would follow and others were told flat out that they would not be ranked so maybe they decide who is priority and who isn't when they initially waitlist you.

Anyway this is all just me guessing based on what I have observed and what has happened in the past, it may be different this year since Mr Perez is new.

This question was asked during my interview and we were told there would be no ranking. Instead they would revisit the applications once again and give out offers once seats open up.

This question was asked during my interview and we were told there would be no ranking. Instead they would revisit the applications once again and give out offers once seats open up.

Honestly, I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt. They seem to be improvising this whole process w/ the new DOA.

Would anybody mind posting the text o their email this morning? I received an email but it sounds nothing like what people are describing..

Would anybody mind posting the text o their email this morning? I received an email but it sounds nothing like what people are describing..

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine is pleased to have you on its priority waitlist. We believe your credentials merit continued review. Should a seat for the class of 2015 become available be assured your application will immediately be evaluated accordingly.
If you are fortunate to receive a seat at another medical school in the near future, as previously indicated I would greatly appreciate you letting me know so an available seat may be offered to a well deserving student.

Sincerely,

Joseph Perez
Director of Admissions

i got priority waitlist and my waitlist letter said it was not ranked.

Did anyone one the waitlist NOT receive an email about being on the "priority list?" If anyone hears from the school about the significance of todays email reiterating the waitlist please let me know. I've called but have yet to be called back or have someone answer.

call extension 2589 mr perez

Did anyone one the waitlist NOT receive an email about being on the "priority list?" If anyone hears from the school about the significance of todays email reiterating the waitlist please let me know. I've called but have yet to be called back or have someone answer.

I also got put on the priority waitlist. This was the only school that gave me an interview too. Some how I think everyone got "priority" waitlisted :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got put on the priority waitlist. This was the only school that gave me an interview too. Some how I think everyone got "priority" waitlisted :(.

i got priority wailisted too. I think you're right. i dont feel so good about my "priority" status anymore.

i got priority wailisted too. I think you're right. i dont feel so good about my "priority" status anymore.

lol I knew I shouldn't have checked SDN. I could have felt special thinking that I might have a shot. It's alright I want to be delusional and I am just going to believe that I am on the high waistlist lalalalala I am getting in lalala. Good Luck everyone~

lol I knew I shouldn't have checked SDN. I could have felt special thinking that I might have a shot. It's alright I want to be delusional and I am just going to believe that I am on the high waistlist lalalalala I am getting in lalala. Good Luck everyone~

lololololololololololololol !

Additionally, I don't recall anyone posting on here about getting rejected post-interview. Therefore is it possible that everyone who was not accepted post interview was waitlisted, and then priority waitlisted? That seems like it can be a pretty big pool.

LOLLLLL you are so funny!

btw - i got the same email too guys :)

what did your email say? can u post it plz

At the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Admissions we are acutely sensitive to the interview process at our school.* You are a unique candidate and it would be a pleasure to have you become a member of the Class of 2016.* As we work toward that end, your strong credentials are being reviewed on a daily basis.* The selection criteria will be based upon the applicant with the strongest credentials.

We wish you the best of success on your journey to become a great physician.*

Best,

Joseph Perez
Director of Admissions

I don't know why I received an email completely different from the one you all received.. It has no mention of a wait list what so ever. I hope this is not a bad sign :(

i got absolutely no email/letter about the waitlist today

At the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Admissions we are acutely sensitive to the interview process at our school.* You are a unique candidate and it would be a pleasure to have you become a member of the Class of 2016.* As we work toward that end, your strong credentials are being reviewed on a daily basis.* The selection criteria will be based upon the applicant with the strongest credentials.

Best,

Joseph Perez
Director of Admissions

I don't know why I received an email completely different from the one you all received.. It has no mention of a wait list what so ever. I hope this is not a bad sign :(

Yours sounds soo much juicier though, lol

I received the same email...so confused!

Best,

Joseph Perez
Director of Admissions

Yours sounds soo much juicier though, lol

haha yeah I gotta admit (his letter > my letter).

We should probably all stop obsessing so much, there won't be any movement until May when everyone has committed and I'm sure we are going to start getting more frequent updates as that draws closer.

haha..I was really excited this morning when I got the priority waitlist email..now not so much..

For those of you who got the priority waitlist email today, do you mind to share your stat? I got a waitlist letter on March 2nd, no emails so far.

Here's what the Class of 2016's schedule is going to look like:

Monday: Test day, no lecture
Tuesday: (in no order) Group A will have Bio, Histo, Physio, Biochem in the morning, Group B will have it in the afternoon. You will either have school from 8-12 or 1-5.
Wednesday: PD in the morning(8-9 lecture, labs from 9-10, 10-11, 11-12) and nothing in the afternoon
Thursday: This is where it got a little confusing. PMPH from 8-9, OMM Lab for half the class from 9-11, and open Anatomy and Histo Lab for the other groups from 9-12. I believe the other half will have OMM lab from 1-3. Essentially, you could have morning lecture all week and never have class past 12. I don't believe you get a choice as to what section you are placed in, but nothing is set in stone at this point in time.

Hey, thanks a lot for an update. Honestly, this schedule sounds so good to be true. Does this mean we get Fridays off?

Talked with Touro COM on the phone today regarding the: "Priority Waitlist" and the use of the incorrect year of "2015".

Was told -- as previously reported -- that "priority" carried no weight what-so-ever, there is NO ranking. Priority waitlist = Waitlist. The use of 2015 was a simple error. Was told that reviewing of the waitlist and filling of the class was a daily process.

GL ALL

Hey, thanks a lot for an update. Honestly, this schedule sounds so good to be true. Does this mean we get Fridays off?

So first of all, by "Bio," I meant Biochemistry(not sure if everyone would get that). Second of all, Friday is the only day that Dr. Lenihan(the pre-clinical dean) didn't mention. The way it worked this year was that for about the first 2 months we had Anatomy/Embryology and Biochemistry, and class would go until 2 pm(there was open Anatomy lab from 1-2). After 2 months the afternoon was eliminated and we got out at 12. I don't think you will have Fridays off- if I had to take a guess, you will probably have 3 hours of Anatomy/Embryology lecture/review, simply based on the fact that Anatomy will be 10 of your 24 credits(or however many it is) and there is just an insane amount of material. Dr. Rich cannot accomplish what she needs to by only getting 1 hour with you guys every week. We had 6 hours of anatomy lecture every week, so my instinct tells me you'll get an additional 2-3 hours of Anatomy on Friday. So here is what I think Friday will look like:

8-11: Anatomy/Embryology
11-12: Biochemistry

This is what it was like for us, they could also shorten Anatomy by an hour and stick an hour of Physio in there. If I find out more information I'll be sure to post it.

Still no physical letter in the mail...am I the only one?

I have not received anything in the mail either. I interviewed on 3/1.

So Mr. Sow said all letters were mailed out before Monday and should arrive latest by today. Just checked the mail and nothing...

So Mr. Sow said all letters were mailed out before Monday and should arrive latest by today. Just checked the mail and nothing...

Same here... No letter. When did you interview? Care to share your stats?

Hey so two things:

The first is regarding the letters. I never got a letter! I interviewed Feb 15th, called them twice, emailed them, and never got any straight answer from anyone. In fact, I never even got a response to my email. The only reason I know that I was put on the wait list was because of that mass "priority wait list" email that they seem to have sent out to everyone. So those of you who haven't gotten a letter yet, I would be diligent about trying to follow up with the school and continue to call them, because it is possible your letter will never arrive like mine haha.

The second thing is regarding the classes. Those of you posting about class times/schedules, from what I understand that is NOT what next year will be like. The way they made it sound at my interview presentation (and I remember one girl saying she specifically clarified this with her interviewers and this is what they said), all classes will be downloaded through iTunes university. You will not have physical lectures to attend even if you want to attend one. You are expected to download and watch the classes on your computer (I believe they said it would be around 8hours/day of classes to watch, but I could be making that number up), and only come into school on Mondays to take quizzes and one other day per week to have iclicker quizzes with your classes (oh, and of course you would come in for the labs as well). However, what the professors told the girl in my interview group was that you could go to office hours if you wanted and they would be more than happy to teach you the material in person, but it wouldn't be a scheduled class.

Did anyone get a different impression of what classes would be like at Touro? If so, I'd really like to hear it, because this idea of basically attending an online medical school is extremely concerning to me. I feel as though I really learn better in a classroom setting, and I'm not sure how happy I would be watching all the classes downloaded onto my computer in my apartment or something.

Hey so two things:

The first is regarding the letters. I never got a letter! I interviewed Feb 15th, called them twice, emailed them, and never got any straight answer from anyone. In fact, I never even got a response to my email. The only reason I know that I was put on the wait list was because of that mass "priority wait list" email that they seem to have sent out to everyone. So those of you who haven't gotten a letter yet, I would be diligent about trying to follow up with the school and continue to call them, because it is possible your letter will never arrive like mine haha.

The second thing is regarding the classes. Those of you posting about class times/schedules, from what I understand that is NOT what next year will be like. The way they made it sound at my interview presentation (and I remember one girl saying she specifically clarified this with her interviewers and this is what they said), all classes will be downloaded through iTunes university. You will not have physical lectures to attend even if you want to attend one. You are expected to download and watch the classes on your computer (I believe they said it would be around 8hours/day of classes to watch, but I could be making that number up), and only come into school on Mondays to take quizzes and one other day per week to have iclicker quizzes with your classes (oh, and of course you would come in for the labs as well). However, what the professors told the girl in my interview group was that you could go to office hours if you wanted and they would be more than happy to teach you the material in person, but it wouldn't be a scheduled class.

Did anyone get a different impression of what classes would be like at Touro? If so, I'd really like to hear it, because this idea of basically attending an online medical school is extremely concerning to me. I feel as though I really learn better in a classroom setting, and I'm not sure how happy I would be watching all the classes downloaded onto my computer in my apartment or something.
o....m....g.....is this just lectures? and then we gotta study after that? and then we still got to go to school on mondays, clickers, and labs?.....this just got real. gotta make sure i keep up cause i can see people falling behind very easily. im hoping that 8 hours of video lectures a day is not true cause it sounds nuts

I really wouldn't be so worried. I'm jealous of you guys. We were expected to sit through classes, some of which are a gigantic waste of time. If you feel the same way, you can just click a button and turn that lecture up to 2x or 2.5x speed.

I doubt it will be 8 hours/day. And even if it is, that shouldn't take you more that 4-6 hours to get through I'd say.

Edit: After speaking with the pre-clinical dean, Here's what the Class of 2016's schedule currently looks like:

Monday: Test day, no lecture
Tuesday: (in no order) Group A will have Bio, Histo, Physio, Biochem in the morning, Group B will have it in the afternoon. You will either have school from 8-12 or 1-5.
Wednesday: PD in the morning(8-9 lecture, labs from 9-10, 10-11, 11-12) and nothing in the afternoon
Thursday: This is where it got a little confusing. PMPH from 8-9, OMM Lab for half the class from 9-11, and open Anatomy and Histo Lab for the other groups from 9-12. I believe the other half will have OMM lab from 1-3. Essentially, you could have morning lecture all week and never have class past 12. I don't believe you get a choice as to what section you are placed in, but nothing is set in stone at this point in time.

So first of all, by "Bio," I meant Biochemistry(not sure if everyone would get that). Second of all, Friday is the only day that Dr. Lenihan(the pre-clinical dean) didn't mention. The way it worked this year was that for about the first 2 months we had Anatomy/Embryology and Biochemistry, and class would go until 2 pm(there was open Anatomy lab from 1-2). After 2 months the afternoon was eliminated and we got out at 12. I don't think you will have Fridays off- if I had to take a guess, you will probably have 3 hours of Anatomy/Embryology lecture/review, simply based on the fact that Anatomy will be 10 of your 24 credits(or however many it is) and there is just an insane amount of material. Dr. Rich cannot accomplish what she needs to by only getting 1 hour with you guys every week. We had 6 hours of anatomy lecture every week, so my instinct tells me you'll get an additional 2-3 hours of Anatomy on Friday. So here is what I think Friday will look like:

8-11: Anatomy/Embryology
11-12: Biochemistry

This is what it was like for us, they could also shorten Anatomy by an hour and stick an hour of Physio in there. If I find out more information I'll be sure to post it.

See information above. I spoke to the pre-clinical dean, who is in charge of organizing the curriculum. I am not sure about the Friday schedule, but yes, for the most part, you will have no formal lecture and will watch most of your lectures via iTunes. I do NOT, however, think it will amount to 8 hours of lecture per day. However, regardless of the amount of lecture hours you will need to cover per day(which will vary based on the class), I can only think of 1 or 2 teachers that you would not watch at 1.5 or 2x the speed of the normal lecture. So by default the hours of lecture assigned to you should be reduced based on your ability to watch at faster speeds(which will become a habit for most of you).

Regardless, I think there are certain advantages and disadvantages to the iTunes/clicker system. Clearly, the school is headed in a direction of independent study, but they are doing what they can to accommodate those who learn best in a formal lecture setting via the clicker sessions. That is your prime opportunity to take advantage of the professor's time. However, bear in mind that the profs are very responsive(in most cases) to emails and do not hesitate to email a professor should you have a question. There is also a tutoring program that the 2nd years volunteer for, and that goes for every class, so be sure to take advantage of that as well. In addition, don't hesitate to reach out to us yourselves. We've been there. We know what to expect. We know what it was like to be in your position. So please reach out to us. We're here to help.

also for those concerned about the lecture lengths and many hours a day. As someone else said "this is the big leagues now."

for my class, the crushing difficulty of the first few weeks is what got us into the "spirit" to willingly sit through lectures from 8-5 and then go home and study more. I dont know if the same "crushing fear" will set in if youre not forced to sit through lectures, but you DEFINITELY need to take this stuff as serious as you possibly can and keep up whenever possible.

I know 80-85% of the students complained about lectures and felt they were being babied. whatever. I will tell you that the highest scoring people in the class (with a few exceptions of simply amazingly intelligent students) all were that 15% who did go to most every lecture. The people who didnt go (again, exception being a few truly gifted individuals) made up the bottom 85% of the class almost exclusively. What does this mean without required lecture all the damn time? No clue. I've never had to experience that.

But as people who may be coming to touro in the near future, 2013 has busted their ass to make this school look damn good. I'm sure 2014 and 2015 will feel the same way. DO NOT get lazy and let your class be the weak one. Work damn hard boys and girls.

Doc Espana...challenge accepted.....one of the reasons im choosing touro over nycom and umdnj is bc they really seemed motivated to be the best and make sure we own the boards...no baby stuff, just serious focus on ownage and being better than the last class. From the candidates i saw at the interview i bet the MCAT scores of ppl accepted are rising.

btw guys stuff like "priority", "not ranked" waitlist...come on you should be able to see through that already, you are going to be doctors!!....i would bet my car that the waitlist is ranked in some kind of way or else it would just be random

Anyone entering next year looking to move into the city/share an apartment?

Doc Espana...challenge accepted.....one of the reasons im choosing touro over nycom and umdnj is bc they really seemed motivated to be the best and make sure we own the boards...no baby stuff, just serious focus on ownage and being better than the last class. From the candidates i saw at the interview i bet the MCAT scores of ppl accepted are rising.

btw guys stuff like "priority", "not ranked" waitlist...come on you should be able to see through that already, you are going to be doctors!!....i would bet my car that the waitlist is ranked in some kind of way or else it would just be random

Anyone entering next year looking to move into the city/share an apartment?

That's exactly the impression I got from TouroCOM. The school seemed to focus a lot on the realistic aspects of education (aka boards) rather than some bull, and the preclinical dean was mad enthusiastic about helping the students to achieve good enough stats before applying for residencies (and their efforts seem to reflect on this year's match result as well). I hope the new curriculum and the online lecture system works out for our year.

While Touro-NY has become the DO school of choice in NY, UMDNJ's low instate tuition is not something you can easily pass up.

so i was on the "priority" waitlist last week....and just received a rejection hard copy letter.

WHATS going on???

so i was on the "priority" waitlist last week....and just received a rejection hard copy letter.

WHATS going on???

Touro's admissions office is so disorganized its not even funny. I would call them and ask what your status is.