TouroCOM - NY Thread 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatheusMSP

MrSrzil
Reaction score
I read a lot of threads from previous years but failed to find one from this application cycle. If there is one out there that I haven't seen, I apologize. Anyways, after reading the ones from previous years I was curious about what the currently applicants are thinking about TouroCOM this year.
On top of that, I am interviewing in Middletown 11/12. Does anyone have any tips or advices for that day? I am an international students and it's my first interview ever for Med School. TouroCOM is one of my top choices so I am kinda nervous but super excited!

Looking forward to hear from everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s Middletown 18-19
2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

Here’s Harlem
2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

The interview at Middletown will be with two faculty members for about 30 minutes. Expect the “why medicine, why DO and why Touro” type questions. Know something about the flipped classroom approach. Be familiar with your application and try to practice with a few people that you don’t know very well and/or people who intimidate you. It will help you be more articulate under stress.

Project confidence and you’ll do fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s Middletown 18-19
2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

Here’s Harlem
2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

The interview at Middletown will be with two faculty members for about 30 minutes. Expect the “why medicine, why DO and why Touro” type questions. Know something about the flipped classroom approach. Be familiar with your application and try to practice with a few people that you don’t know very well and/or people who intimidate you. It will help you be more articulate under stress.

Project confidence and you’ll do fine.

good luck on your interview.

Thank you both! Sorry for creating the unnecessary thread.

The curriculum at TouroCOM NY is very dysfunctional. I would caution anyone who plans on attending here. They use a "flipped classroom" model where you watch recorded lectures at home and then attend interactive sessions with faculty where you discuss concepts and answer questions based on that week's material. Class attendance is 10% of your grade. The problem is, these sessions are mandatory and take up A LOT of time during the week. Touro does not use a block exam schedule so there is at least one exam per week but can be up to 3-4 per week during busier parts of the semester. What ends up happening is that it becomes impossible to prepare both for exams and interactive sessions simultaneously. So you stop watching lectures before class and end up sitting there knowing absolutely nothing because you have instead been studying for the next exam which, invariably, covers a ton of content. Devoted study time for exams is sorely lacking at this school. We constantly have to cram full units of material in a weekend because so much of our time is wasted during the week attending the interactives. It is very frustrating and very stressful. Year after year, students plead with the administration to lessen the number of hours of mandatory class and nothing has been done yet. By spring semester second year, people just stop going anyway. They allow only two unexcused absences before your grade is affected. I am not necessarily saying that you shouldn't attend Touro but I want to give fair warning that the curriculum is very deeply flawed.

Reactions: 1 user