Toxicology MS CSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slvb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done the Toxicology MS through CSU? I would love to hear about your experience and if you thought it was worth it. If you do well, is there a pretty good chance you'll get accepted to their vet school? Also, would it mean that there is a gap year between the master's program and vet school, so they have time to see all your course grades? And finally, I've heard stuff about getting in-state tuition for their vet school by doing it, is that true? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone here done the Toxicology MS through CSU? I would love to hear about your experience and if you thought it was worth it. If you do well, is there a pretty good chance you'll get accepted to their vet school? Also, would it mean that there is a gap year between the master's program and vet school, so they have time to see all your course grades? And finally, I've heard stuff about getting in-state tuition for their vet school by doing it, is that true? Thanks!
I'm just going to post on the residency part. You may not be enrolled in school full time during the year of living in a state to qualify for residency. I think there is some role where you can take like 1 class but certainly not a masters program

I'm just going to post on the residency part. You may not be enrolled in school full time during the year of living in a state to qualify for residency. I think there is some role where you can take like 1 class but certainly not a masters program
If they stay in CO admiring the gap year they mentioned, then it definitely should count.
OPs best bet is to contact the school because each state has different rules about residency and they may count that MS year towards residency ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Members don't see this ad :)
If they stay in CO admiring the gap year they mentioned, then it definitely should count.
OPs best bet is to contact the school because each state has different rules about residency and they may count that MS year towards residency ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm 95% that in CO, you cannot be a student while establishing residency. You have to live and work in the state for a year, then can establish residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 95% that in CO, you cannot be a student while establishing residency. You have to live and work in the state for a year, then can establish residency.
I know that they at least have a thing where dvm/mph students can get in state after that first year for their MPH, but if OP is talking about a gap year so that the grades get sent to the school, that’d be a year in the state without school

I know that they at least have a thing where dvm/mph students can get in state after that first year for their MPH, but if OP is talking about a gap year so that the grades get sent to the school, that’d be a year in the state without school
I may totally be wrong but don't you need to be a resident at the time of applying in order to qualify? So if she applied right after finishing the masters, that'd be what I consider the gap year. If she took a year off after finishing the masters, and THEN applied, I think it would count.

I may totally be wrong but don't you need to be a resident at the time of applying in order to qualify? So if she applied right after finishing the masters, that'd be what I consider the gap year. If she took a year off after finishing the masters, and THEN applied, I think it would count.
Idk man I thought it was just by the time you’d start. Which is why it’s best to contact the school and figure out when the clock starts, which is why I suggested it.

If you establish residency before starting classes, then that year of classes counts as establishing residency. Talk to someone at the school about it.

Residency aside, there are other factors to consider.

Is it a thesis or non-thesis program? (If thesis, is there a lab you're particularly interested in?)

Is a MS in toxicology something you would be able to use if you DON'T go to vet school? Is the entire point of the degree to be a stepping stone into vet school? What career options would this give you?

How expensive is it going to be? Is there TA and/or RA money available? Will you be responsible for tuition or will it be waived? (I make a below average stipend in my current program - money should be a factor in your decision. Will you be taking out loans for this?)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't personally know anything about it but my senior honors thesis advisor received her Ph.D in toxicology at CSU in the spring and is currently involved as a graduate student advisor at CSU for the MS in Toxicology. Her name is Olivia Arnold and she can likely answer any questions you might have about the program in general.