Transfer advice (as PGY2 in July 2018), please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xana123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently starting out as a PGY1. Unfortunately, I matched across the country from my SO and would be extremely grateful for any advice about the possibility of transferring after my PGY1 year to be closer (staying in the same specialty). My questions/concerns right now are:

- How soon should I bring this up to my PD? I want to tread carefully, but also be as transparent as possible so things don't blow up. I know I have to give notice by the end of December, but is it okay for now to reach out to programs without notifying my PD? I'm scared word will somehow get back and make things difficult for me. And if so should I call or email or even perhaps have my SO (also a resident) ask around to keep some anonymity?

- Should I sign up for residentswap? Can anyone with experience with this site offer insight? Should I be looking at the number of positions listed under PGY1 or PGY2 to get an idea of what is available?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently starting out as a PGY1. Unfortunately, I matched across the country from my SO and would be extremely grateful for any advice about the possibility of transferring after my PGY1 year to be closer (staying in the same specialty). My questions/concerns right now are:

- How soon should I bring this up to my PD? I want to tread carefully, but also be as transparent as possible so things don't blow up. I know I have to give notice by the end of December, but is it okay for now to reach out to programs without notifying my PD? I'm scared word will somehow get back and make things difficult for me. And if so should I call or email or even perhaps have my SO (also a resident) ask around to keep some anonymity?

- Should I sign up for residentswap? Can anyone with experience with this site offer insight? Should I be looking at the number of positions listed under PGY1 or PGY2 to get an idea of what is available?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Are you married? That would be a good reason to try a move. Otherwise your PD may not see a valid reason for the transfer.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at it this way: you didn't match across the country from your SO, your SO matched across the country from you. So what is your SO doing about this situation? Is your SO looking to move to where you are? If not, why not? Do they care less about you, and about your career, than you do about them and their career?

You obviously recognise that looking for a transfer has the potential to go very badly wrong, particularly as you probably only matched down your list. Don't make any assumptions about anything before you start on that process. Question everything you have been thinking so far. And work out what your worst case scenario is (no residency and no SO looks possible at the moment) and what you can do to avoid it.

Reactions: 2 users
As others have noted (here and in the Psych forum), you have to tell your PD.

However, I would expect your PD to be less than understanding. After all, if you didn't want to match at a distance from your SO, then why did you rank your current program? Furthermore, since you failed to match at your top program(s) (presumably you ranked programs close to your SO highest), I would presume that you are not a very competitive candidate. Questions about why you are the one to move and not your SO are also valid.

That's not to say you shouldn't try to find a position but please understand how it will be seen by your PD.

With that, closing because there is an active discussion in the Psychiatry forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.