transfer from carribean to DO (Nova southeastern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accepted109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight. Is it possible to transfer from a Caribbean medical school to a DO medical school in the states? I currently attend a Caribbean school (not in the top 5). I won't lie its not the a great school. I've been emailing Nova Southeastern's school to see if it is possible to transfer there, at least before clinicals (granted I have a high step 1 score). please give me feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Not possible.
1) You have never learned OMM.
2) You would have to take the COMLEX with the OMM compartments. You will unlikely to pass these boards unless you spend a majority of time in clinical years for to dedicate of learning OMM.
3) DO schools are anti-carribean. Not to sound rude, but you chose to go for the letter "MD" over "DO" initially. That alone will get you rejected at most schools.

You would be much better off trying to transfer to an MD school, which is also very unlikely going to happen (if you have any red flag and that's what I'm suspecting).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you feel you can't make it through, it's better to jump ship and come back to the states and pursue either RN, NP, or PA. Unless you really are boning for that MD and will be fine working 1000X harder to get leftover spots in family medicine, psychiatry, or internal medicine in a location that is not your choice. These are all great fields, but if you don't have a knack for any of them, then you will be essentially in a field you hate waking up every morning to.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, if you feel you can't make it through, it's better to jump ship and come back to the states and pursue either RN, NP, or PA. Unless you really are boning for that MD and will be fine working 1000X harder to get leftover spots in family medicine, psychiatry, or internal medicine in a location that is not your choice. These are all great fields, but if you don't have a knack for any of them, then you will be essentially in a field you hate waking up every morning to.
Okay thanks for replying, I actually want to do psychiatry, but as you probably already know residency is limited for Caribbean medical students, I don't want to "jump ship" I can deal with it lol, but if an opportunity arises I would definitely take it to be a US med student

Not possible.
2) You would have to take the COMLEX with the OMM compartments. You will unlikely to pass these boards unless you spend a majority of time in clinical years for to dedicate of learning OMM.
3) DO schools are anti-carribean. Not to sound rude, but you chose to go for the letter "MD" over "DO" initially. That alone will get you rejected at most schools.

You would be much better off trying to transfer to an MD school, which is also very unlikely going to happen (if you have any red flag and that's what I'm suspecting).
Okay I was unaware of all of that thank you, I took this route because I did not take the MCAT and it was an accelerated program, I later took the MCAT, (but did rather poorly) I guess I just have to deal with it.

DO schools are anti-carribean. Not to sound rude, but you chose to go for the letter "MD" over "DO" initially. That alone will get you rejected at most schools.

From the TCOM catalog: "An applicant who has taken all premedical or medical studies in foreign institutions, including the medical schools of the Caribbean region, will NOT be considered for admission in advanced standing." OP has practically no chance at MD schools, because Caribbean schools are not LCME-accredited and transfers are rarely granted even for U.S. students.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, unfortunately lacking the OMM knowledge means that DO programs are not open for you. I'd encourage you to try to transfer to St. George or another "top" caribbean program. They are at least better known by some residency programs, so there's at least a chance you might end up matching.

Reactions: 6 users
OP, unfortunately lacking the OMM knowledge means that DO programs are not open for you. I'd encourage you to try to transfer to St. George or another "top" caribbean program. They are at least better known by some residency programs, so there's at least a chance you might end up matching.
what is OP?

Okay thanks for replying, I actually want to do psychiatry, but as you probably already know residency is limited for Caribbean medical students, I don't want to "jump ship" I can deal with it lol, but if an opportunity arises I would definitely take it to be a US med student

I would take AlbinoHawks advice. Transfer to SGU or Ross. Your chances at getting a residency will still suck, but at least those schools are more "well known". Going to a Carib school that doesn't require the MCAT is a huge-huge red-flag in the first place unfortunately.

I agree with the other posters, no chance at DO schools without any OMM training. I also recommend trying to transfer to a better known Carib school to have a shot at actually being a doctor in the USA. I personally know of 2 people that went to Caribbean schools not requiring an MCAT score and both failed to match despite passing all courses/boards first try. Sometimes when things seem too good to be true, its because they are...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posters, no chance at DO schools without any OMM training. I also recommend trying to transfer to a better known Carib school to have a shot at actually being a doctor in the USA. I personally know of 2 people that went to Caribbean schools not requiring an MCAT score and both failed to match despite passing all courses/boards first try. Sometimes when things seem too good to be true, its because they are...
I know that's my fear, unfortunately not even the big four will take me as a transfer (I haven't actually tried, but its already known) do you have any advice for my current situation? I am a 3rd semester student.

I know that's my fear, unfortunately not even the big four will take me as a transfer (I haven't actually tried, but its already known) do you have any advice for my current situation? I am a 3rd semester student.

How is it known if you haven't tried? They may make you start at the middle/end of Year 2, but it might be worth looking in to.

You could just apply and start over...

Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight. Is it possible to transfer from a Caribbean medical school to a DO medical school in the states? I currently attend a Caribbean school (not in the top 5). I won't lie its not the a great school. I've been emailing Nova Southeastern's school to see if it is possible to transfer there, at least before clinicals (granted I have a high step 1 score). please give me feedback

I know of one person who used to be at a Caribbean school and is now in my class. The catch though is that he had to start over from the very beginning. I believe he even did the MBS program at NSUCOM prior to starting M1 year. If you really want to go to a DO school, starting over may be your only option.

I agree with the other posters that it will be highly unlikely NSU will allow a transfer because of the lack of OMM/COMLEX 1.

I would start over. It's your best option for residency

Edit: and don't tell them you went Caribbean because you were too lazy to take the mcat

You could just apply and start over...
This. DO schools will *not* take a Carib transfer. I've literally never seen it. But they will absolutely take an applicant who is willing to start year 1, providing the applicant was in good standing when he/she left the Carib.

I dont know your GPA/MCAT/reasons for going carib, but if I were you I would drop out now and come back to the states. When you say 3rd semester I assume you mean 1st or 2nd year. If so, hopefully you arent too far in the hole with debt.

I would then do whatever it takes to get competetive for med schools here (smp/retakes/redo bachelors) if you really want to be a doctor. Next best thing would be re-starting at one of the bigger named carib schools where you will have a better chance of matching somewhere (although still a gamble). As a disclaimer, I would not personally do the second option cause for me it was med school in the US vs. choose another career, but in your situation it would probably give you a better shot than the status quo

OP said he/she has a high step1 score. I am assuming it's higher than 230, so he/she might have chance matching into psych... I would not start over if I was in OP's situation.

I love when people write stuff like "not top 5" Caribbean school. Does the delusion go that far? It's a god damn Caribbean medical school. Either you work your balls off, be top of your class, NAIL boards, and marry the PD's daughter to have a slight chance of a non competitive match, or you're just royally screwed. It could not matter any less WHICH Caribbean school you go to.

I love when people write stuff like "not top 5" Caribbean school. Does the delusion go that far? It's a god damn Caribbean medical school. Either you work your balls off, be top of your class, NAIL boards, and marry the PD's daughter to have a slight chance of a non competitive match, or you're just royally screwed. It could not matter any less WHICH Caribbean school you go to.

I also feel that the "big 5" self title is to try to lure in ignorant premeds into believing their programs are of worth. It's a competitive bloodbath in the 5 to get any residency even for their top quartile students, but the rest of the Caribbeans are basically scams with essentially no matches to anywhere.

Yeah, that's not really accurate. It does very much matter which Caribbean med school you go to, as only 5 as of right now are recognized as accredited schools by the licensing boards of all 50 states. In other words, the non-big 5 school graduates will only be able to go to residency and get licenses in the 34 or so states that recognize their school's degree.

As far as residency chances, it also matters. I regularly see graduates from the Big 5 on resident lists, whereas I can't remember the last time I saw one of the non-big 5 graduates on a list (I'm sure they exist, but not nearly with the same frequency as the big 5 graduates).

It would increase OP's chances to transfer to a big 5 school. It would also increase their chances even more to go to a DO school, but that might be more difficult or require him to start over.

Reactions: 4 users
OP said he/she has a high step1 score. I am assuming it's higher than 230, so he/she might have chance matching into psych... I would not start over if I was in OP's situation.
Hi, I have not taken my step yet. I still have 1.5 semesters of basic sciences to go. I was asking for future reference. My friend and I starting emailing schools and only a few of them said there's a chance at transfer with ah high step score > 235. so I wanted to know if its worth it, I really do not want to start over

Hi, I have not taken my step yet. I still have 1.5 semesters of basic sciences to go. I was asking for future reference. My friend and I starting emailing schools and only a few of them said there's a chance at transfer with ah high step score > 235. so I wanted to know if its worth it, I really do not want to start over
I don't know how the logistic will work since DO schools have an OMM component... Maybe you will have to wait for at least a year to fulfill the OMM component of the first 2 year. I think there might be a chance at some of the newer schools. You can also check WVSOM. With 235+ in step1, I think you will have a chance at some of the non-competitive specialties i.e IM/psych/FM etc... if you decide to stay at your current school, but the problem with a non big 5 Carib school is that you won't be able to get a physician license in probably 10+ states... GL!

Edit:

If you can transfer to US school, it will definitely worth it. I am attending a low tier US MD school and I met a couple of students at my school who barely passed step1 and they were able to match into good IM programs... Being a US student gives one some room for errors IMO.

Last edited:
I agree that OP's best chance is to stay put. Someone brought my attention to the COCA standards which apply to all DO schools: "Credits may be transferred only from medical schools and colleges accredited either by the COCA or by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)."

I don't know how the logistic will work since DO schools have an OMM component... Maybe you will have to wait for at least a year to fulfill the OMM component of the first 2 year. I think there might be a chance at some of the newer schools. You can also check WVSOM. With 235+ in step1, I think you will have a chance at some of the non-competitive specialties i.e IM/psych/FM etc... if you decide to stay at your current school, but the problem with a non big 5 Carib school is that you won't be able to get a physician license in probably 10+ states... GL!

Edit:

If you can transfer to US school, it will definitely worth it. I am attending a low tier US MD school and I met a couple of students at my school who barely passed step1 and they were able to match into good IM programs... Being a US student gives one some room for errors IMO.

I will really try to do that, do you have any suggestions for schools?

I also feel that the "big 5" self title is to try to lure in ignorant premeds into believing their programs are of worth. It's a competitive bloodbath in the 5 to get any residency even for their top quartile students, but the rest of the Caribbeans are basically scams with essentially no matches to anywhere.
I don't know where you guys get your information, because it's certainly not anywhere in the realm of reality. >2600 US-IMGs matched last year through the NRMP, the vast majority of which are from the caribbean. In 2013, for matched US-IMGs in family medicine the average step 1 score was less than 210. Matched US-IMGs have lower board scores in basically every specialty than matched USMDs. Ross and SGU match 85-90% of their first time applicants each year.

In short, basically everything the two of you said in these posts is complete nonsense.

And for the OP, as others have said your best bet would be to transfer to a better known caribbean school. If you do have a good step 1 score, I'm sure Ross or SGU would let you transfer in for clinicals.

Reactions: 3 users
I will really try to do that, do you have any suggestions for schools?
I get you're reading the comments you just want to and go with what you want but it's not going to happen.
A DO school isn't going to accept you as a transfer. Period. You don't have the OMM needed and it's rare to transfer before 3rd year anyway schools have such a different curriculum.
Your best option if you don't want to restart is to try and transfer to a big 5.
Your actual best option is to quit and reapply to DO schools. Just realize you WILL NOT transfer.

I don't know where you guys get your information, because it's certainly not anywhere in the realm of reality. >2600 US-IMGs matched last year through the NRMP, the vast majority of which are from the caribbean. In 2013, for matched US-IMGs in family medicine the average step 1 score was less than 210. Matched US-IMGs have lower board scores in basically every specialty than matched USMDs. Ross and SGU match 85-90% of their first time applicants each year.

In short, basically everything the two of you said in these posts is complete nonsense.

And for the OP, as others have said your best bet would be to transfer to a better known caribbean school. If you do have a good step 1 score, I'm sure Ross or SGU would let you transfer in for clinicals.

the 85-90% match rate is inflated due to attrition rates, but the chances of matching are there. One just needs to look at the current residents around where SGU clinicals take place. roughly 10% match GS (likely under 5% taking into account the attrition rates)

SGU pumped in $100,000,000 to maintain match locations, this won't last forever though.

DO>>>>> Carib

http://blogs.wsj.com/atwork/2014/08/08/st-georges-university-lands-750m-investment-deal/

the 85-90% match rate is inflated due to attrition rates, but the chances of matching are there. One just needs to look at the current residents around where SGU clinicals take place. roughly 10% match GS (likely under 5% taking into account the attrition rates)

SGU pumped in $100,000,000 to maintain match locations, this won't last forever though.

DO>>>>> Carib

http://blogs.wsj.com/atwork/2014/08/08/st-georges-university-lands-750m-investment-deal/

Match rate and attrition rate are two separate things. @the argus has stated a 20% attrition for Ross for M1-M2. So his statement doesn't contradict yours.

However, remember that with the combined match those unfilled osteopathic spots will be up for grabs by FMGs. So you won't see a radical decline in match rates initially, but more of a slow trickle.

Yes, DO >>>> Carib, it doesn't mean I disagree with your overall message.

DO>>>>> Carib

That match rate is post-attrition, dude. Hence, "first time applicants" in his post.

Match rate and attrition rate are two separate things. @the argus has stated a 20% attrition for Ross for M1-M2. So his statement doesn't contradict yours.

However, remember that with the combined match those unfilled osteopathic spots will be up for grabs by FMGs. So you won't see a radical decline in match rates initially, but more of a slow trickle.

Yes, DO >>>> Carib, it doesn't mean I disagree with your overall message.

20% is not the attrition rate for Ross. Not even SGU has that low a drop out rate. It's closer to 50%.

20% is not the attrition rate for Ross. Not even SGU has that low a drop out rate. It's closer to 50%.

The argus is from ross, so I can't question his claim (which is only 20% for M1-M2). The 50% number might be possible if you factor in board failure, issues with green book rotations, and other red flags.

Last edited:
How could you possibly know that? I'm sure you have inside knowledge of the workings of Ross, seeing as you are a first year medical student at an osteopathic medical school. Everyone knows first year osteopathic medical students have all the inside knowledge of Caribbean medical schools.

My numbers are from looking at the number of people starting all the semesters while I was at Ross. It was ~25% attrition through the basic science years. And according to the number of people that started and the number that matched, ~70% of those that start will match.

You continually prove yourself to be one of the least informed people on this site. The scariest thing is how unaware you are of how little you know.

Interesting information for anybody considering Caribbean medical school...I find it particularly interesting on page 22 where you can see the match rates from various countries. US IMG's from from Dominica (Ross) in 2014 had a ~55% match rate so I find it hard to believe 70% of students starting school there matched. The match would be drastically lower at any school not requiring an MCAT.

I understand people want to defend their decisions to go to the carribean, but dont bring other people down with you. Just look at those numbers, they are horrible chances for someone who passed all steps and made it to the match. Especially when you are a quarter mil in debt with no way to offload. That will put you in financial ruin for the rest of your life. For anybody in the carribean, I hope you match because I wouldnt wish the other scenario on anybody.

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
How could you possibly know that? I'm sure you have inside knowledge of the workings of Ross, seeing as you are a first year medical student at an osteopathic medical school. Everyone knows first year osteopathic medical students have all the inside knowledge of Caribbean medical schools.

My numbers are from looking at the number of people starting all the semesters while I was at Ross. It was ~25% attrition through the basic science years. And according to the number of people that started and the number that matched, ~70% of those that start will match.

You continually prove yourself to be one of the least informed people on this site. The scariest thing is how unaware you are of how little you know.

Well the above was a very nice source.

Lets not realistically attempt to say that class sizes that can be almost at 400-500 students per semester can actually match 70%.

But please go on.

Interesting information for anybody considering Caribbean medical school...I find it particularly interesting on page 22 where you can see the match rates from various countries. US IMG's from from Dominica (Ross) in 2014 had a ~55% match rate so I find it hard to believe 70% of students starting school there matched. The match would be drastically lower at any school not requiring an MCAT.

I understand people want to defend their decisions to go to the carribean, but dont bring other people down with you. Just look at those numbers, they are horrible chances for someone who passed all steps and made it to the match. Especially when you are a quarter mil in debt with no way to offload. That will put you in financial ruin for the rest of your life. For anybody in the carribean, I hope you match because I wouldnt wish the other scenario on anybody.

http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
As has been explained ad nauseum, those stats are not referring to first-time applicants, they include reapplicants from past years. There is a definite percentage of grads, 5-10% every year, that are poor applicants (step/semester failures, etc) that fail to match but continue to reapply every year. These people build up over time and bring down the overall percentage. The NRMP data reports don't separate IMG seniors vs grads like they do for USMDs. Please take the time to understand what these reports actually represent before attempting to use their data.
Well the above was a very nice source.

Lets not realistically attempt to say that class sizes that can be almost at 400-500 students per semester can actually match 70%.

But please go on.
the semesters for the 2015 match averaged ~400, for a total of ~1200 students. Ross matched 830+ in 2015, which comes out to ~70%. But please, continue exemplifying how uninformed you are.

As has been explained ad nauseum, those stats are not referring to first-time applicants, they include reapplicants from past years. There is a definite percentage of grads, 5-10% every year, that are poor applicants (step/semester failures, etc) that fail to match but continue to reapply every year. These people build up over time and bring down the overall percentage. The NRMP data reports don't separate IMG seniors vs grads like they do for USMDs. Please take the time to understand what these reports actually represent before attempting to use their data.

the semesters for the 2015 match averaged ~400, for a total of ~1200 students. Ross matched 830+ in 2015, which comes out to ~70%. But please, continue exemplifying how uninformed you are.

Oh really?

If I am interpreting the data wrong then please point me in the right direction. There were 1100 total people participating in the match from Ross and 595 people matched. I fail to see how 1200 graduating seniors + "the 5-10% from years past" could possibly equal a 70% match if there were only 595 people total who matched from there.

Oh really?

If I am interpreting the data wrong then please point me in the right direction. There were 1100 total people participating in the match from Ross and 595 people matched. I fail to see how 1200 graduating seniors + "the 5-10% from years past" could possibly equal a 70% match if there were only 595 people total who matched from there.

I think you guys are arguing points with different semantic definitions. For one the argus is talking about placement rate of first-time applicants, numbers he's getting from Ross's website of matched individuals that year. Placement rates are not the same as match rates, and are relatively difficult to verify, especially for a class size of say 800-1200 students per Carib school.

He's also using his own metric for what attrition means, as he's counting numbers of people starting a given semester, as opposed to the number of people that started say in 2011 and the number of those people that graduated in 2015. Many of those people that graduated in 2015 may have actually started in 2010 or 2009, thereby inflating the (gu)estimated 4-yr graduation rates and shrinking the attrition. In any case, true attrition is a very hard number to actually determine as you'd require published and 3rd party verified info for that. From the few friends I know currently at Ross and a couple that have graduated from there, their real attrition estimates are in the 30-40% range, but take that for what it is as its hard to keep track of people after Step 1.

In terms of flaws with that report, the argus is correct in stating that some people will continue to apply for multiple cycles after not matching and this may deflate the match rate. That said, it is very difficult to quantify the effect this has on the overall match rate, because the NRMP only separates data on graduates for US MD schools. This is obviously also a problem with getting an adequate estimate of DO match rates as well since senior numbers are also grouped with graduate numbers.

Not possible.

Some DO schools actually take transfers from LCME accredited schools, believe it or not. I believe Touro-NY is one of them (I was looking up school-to-school transfers the other day for someone, and was shocked to see it lol, just can't remember what school it was from).

I think you guys are arguing points with different semantic definitions. For one the argus is talking about placement rate of first-time applicants, numbers he's getting from Ross's website of matched individuals that year. Placement rates are not the same as match rates, and are relatively difficult to verify, especially for a class size of say 800-1200 students per Carib school.

He's also using his own metric for what attrition means, as he's counting numbers of people starting a given semester, as opposed to the number of people that started say in 2011 and the number of those people that graduated in 2015. Many of those people that graduated in 2015 may have actually started in 2010 or 2009, thereby inflating the (gu)estimated 4-yr graduation rates and shrinking the attrition. In any case, true attrition is a very hard number to actually determine as you'd require published and 3rd party verified info for that. From the few friends I know currently at Ross and a couple that have graduated from there, their real attrition estimates are in the 30-40% range, but take that for what it is as its hard to keep track of people after Step 1.

In terms of flaws with that report, the argus is correct in stating that some people will continue to apply for multiple cycles after not matching and this may deflate the match rate. That said, it is very difficult to quantify the effect this has on the overall match rate, because the NRMP only separates data on graduates for US MD schools. This is obviously also a problem with getting an adequate estimate of DO match rates as well since senior numbers are also grouped with graduate numbers.
If the 30-40% attrition rate is correct, I think the US government should take good look at these schools before funneling money to these schools thru student loan... Medical school is hard, but not terribly hard for a school like Ross to have such high attrition rate... My impression is that schools like Ross accept a bunch of students knowing that they will make it difficult for a good portion of them to graduate. This is insane!

From what I was told their average MCAT score is 22-23, so attrition rate should not be that high... 15 years ago, many DO schools have 22-23 average MCAT score and the attrition rate of these schools was not that high...

Some DO schools actually take transfers from LCME accredited schools, believe it or not. I believe Touro-NY is one of them (I was looking up school-to-school transfers the other day for someone, and was shocked to see it lol, just can't remember what school it was from).
NSUCOM does as well, but one would be behind a year in order to fulfill OMM requirement...

Last edited:

He's not trying to bring down people, he is trying to give information as accurately as possible. No where in his statement does he say go Caribbean over DO. It is almost impossible to verify how much attrition is at Ross.

I used to use that exact same graph that you are using to show Ross attrition. However, it took 3 residents laying a methaporical beat down on me to realize that graph is useless. Here is why:

1) The graph only shows matching into their 1st specialty choice. So this mean it doesn't show 2nd specialty choice which Caribbean students already have at the ready since not matching is a high possibility coming from the Caribbean. Thus the bar would be pushed up more.
2) The graph doesn't show what year they graduated. So they could have matched 1 or more years after graduating. This would push the bar lower.
3) The graph only shows the region of the school. Ross is not the only medical school in the Dominica Republic. There could be other students from other schools trying match into the US. This could bring the bar down.

I have shown in other threads that the worst DO schools are still matching better than the best caribbean schools. However, those 50% match rate on the NRMP doesn't tell us the difference between all schools.

EDIT: Mistake on Dominica Republic. Should be Dominica

Last edited:
He's not trying to bring down people, he is trying to give information as accurately as possible. No where in his statement does he say go Caribbean over DO. It is almost impossible to verify how much attrition is at Ross.

I used to use that exact same graph that you are using to show Ross attrition. However, it took 3 residents laying a methaporical beat down on me to realize that graph is useless. Here is why:

1) The graph only shows matching into their 1st specialty choice. So this mean it doesn't show 2nd specialty choice which Caribbean students already have at the ready since not matching is a high possibility coming from the Caribbean. Thus the bar would be pushed up more.
2) The graph doesn't show what year they graduated. So they could have matched 1 or more years after graduating. This would push the bar lower.
3) The graph only shows the region of the school. Ross is not the only medical school in the Dominica Republic. There could be other students from other schools trying match into the US. This could bring the bar down.

I have shown in other threads that the worst DO schools are still matching better than the best caribbean schools. However, those 50% match rate on the NRMP doesn't tell us the difference between all schools.
No, it's not the only med school in the Dominican Republic. In fact it's not even in the Dominican Republic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominica

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile