transferring medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleCowCream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My boyfriend and I just got into different med schools this year. As you can imagine we are both really excited to start this next journey but we also love our relationship and are scared of being apart for 4 years. Both schools are similarly ranked and we have similar credentials. I have thought about the possibility of one of us transferring sometime within our 4 years and I was wondering if any of you had advice.
  • What year is best to transfer?
  • Do you know anyone who did, and if so what schools?
  • If a relationship (significant other, finance, or spouse) is a compelling enough reason?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My boyfriend and I just got into different med schools this year. As you can imagine we are both really excited to start this next journey but we also love our relationship and are scared of being apart for 4 years. Both schools are similarly ranked and we have similar credentials. I have thought about the possibility of one of us transferring sometime within our 4 years and I was wondering if any of you had advice.
  • If a relationship (significant other, finance, or spouse) is a compelling enough reason?
Thanks so much!
Transferring med schools is pretty rare and not a very easy process. That said....

For the handful of schools that allow transfers the policies are very specific - you'll get the best answer from checking the websites of the schools in question and talking with admin. In general, transfers usually occur after pre-clinical years and taking Step I (i.e., between MS2 and MS3 in a "traditional" med school timeline). Many schools won't consider transfers unless you're towards the top of your class and do well on Step I. Being married is probably the only compelling reason a school would consider a transfer for a relationship.

I know of 3 people who successfully transferred between schools - all came from higher ranked schools and transferred to lower ranked ones, transferred between 2nd and 3rd year, and all were towards the top of their class. I know for sure that one person's transfer was conditional pending their step I score. 2 transferred due to their spouse's career (they were married prior to med school FWIW), and 1 transferred due to having to help care for an ill 1st degree relative. Also, the most recent of these transfers was 5-8 years ago, so not sure if things are any different now but my understanding is that, if anything, it occurs even less frequently.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who transferred, but as said above, it's usually only considered between MS2 and MS3, but if you and your boyfriend's schools have different curriculum timelines, that might not work out anyway (if one is a 1.5 year curriculum and the other is 2 year).

Unlikely that you'll be able to transfer for boyfriend/girlfriend, perhaps if engaged or married that would be more compelling.

The cycle isn't over - did you both interview at the same schools/have you tried reaching out to the schools?

Also, while being apart is certainly not ideal, and while every relationship is different, I know of several couples who stayed together during med school despite being far from each other, sometimes on opposite coasts. You travel to be together when you can, but also med school will keep you both very busy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks so much!
Very doubtful. I would just try to figure out whether you guys want to try to make it work long distance, and if so talk to people who made it through the whole time and see what advice they have.

Hi,

Thanks so much!
Have you tried calling each other's school?

Highly doubtful that it will happen. I wish you 2 luck, though.

I'm thinking of doing the same and honestly you should go for it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out and then at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried everything you could. That's my mentality at least! Also remember that SDN is never encouraging and I wouldn't listen to any of the negativity. This forum is helpful if you're looking for solid information from someone who has been through the process but otherwise it's just going to be a bunch of people saying that it's basically impossible blah blah blah. Frankly it's ridiculous how discouraging people are, don't let it get you down!

Look... To preface, I'm married, and did long distance for the first 2 yrs of med school (got married btw m2 and m3).

I've seen the gamut, successful relationships all the way to divorce.

This isn't to be disparaging, just know that making a major life decision that revolves around a boyfriend/girlfriend is completely different from someone to whom you are legally obligated. Remove the romance from this decision. If you break up (and statistically, you likely will), you'll resent the person. I watched two friends divorce mid med school and the non medical Sig other was all alone, New city, no friends, and struggling to find work.

I get it, you're both medical... But it's not all that different at the end of the day.
If the relationship with work, it will work.... The bond will be stronger than distance. Just don't think that relocation will fix things or make them better. In med school and residency, you won't even see your next door neighbor let alone your sig other.

Just good for thought. I really do wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user