Transition to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:cool: :cool: :cool: Good luck Kat on the COMLEX!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just got back from the SAEM conference in Boston, it was great!
Anyone with questions should ask them now, because for the next four weeks, until I am a PGY-2, I will be submerged on the medical wards, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Best of luck to all, keep praying for me (and Kat).

ted, D.O.
Emergency Medicine, PGY-1
somewhere in the city

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sorry I'm so late responding! It's all over now except the infernal waiting...grrr :mad:

I'm in the middle of my OB/GYN rotation...lots o' babies! It's nice to be out of the classroom and back "at work" again. Nice thing: I'm getting treated great by the nurses...hehe! ;)

One more year to practicing, Ted! woowoo....you're gonna kick arse out there!

Talk to you soon.

Kat :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: I AM A PGY-2, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I lived through the depths of the netherworld (IM) and I came up on the other side, now hanging out and chillin' at the poison control center. Congrats, Kat. I fondly remember coaching those birthing moms, EMPUJE, EMPUJE, mamacita!!!! Aaaaah, glad I'm not there now:D :D :D I missed being here (or anywhere that wasn't inside that infernal ward). Glad to be back.

ted, D.O.
Emergency Medicine, PGY-2
somewhere in the city

Members don't see this ad :)
bump ba bump bump. bump ba bump bump baaaaaaah.:D :D :D

As a little aside, I wondered if you "transitioning" nurses could share your thoughts on something that has started to worry me a tad. As an RN starting MD school in August (where they assure us we will "try" to take a patient's history in the first month)--how will I resist the temptation to tell the patient that I'm actually a nurse, not an inexperienced 1st-year med student? I would imagine that would be frowned upon--is it cheating or unethical in some way to tell the patient that you are actually a licensed health professional when really you're supposed to be a civilian? Just curious. This is probably a dumb question, but I've never been in a patient care setting where I couldn't claim my "nurse" status and think it'll take some getting used to. Did you guys ever let it slip that you were nurses? Is that OK? Thanks for any input.

Ted! You are da bomb, you..you....PGY II you!!
Hope all is well with you. I've got one more week of OB/GYN left, then I move on to Peds, aka: Mobile Human Incubators, Rotation. ;) They are working me like a dog this last week -- I guess I must have made a decent impression!

Burn -- as far as mentioning that you were a nurse....Sometimes I mention it, sometimes I don't. Most of the time, as you demonstrate a level of competence that is "unusual" for your position in medschool, invariably the next question is: "OK, what did you do before medschool?" It happened early on in my current rotation, and next thing I knew my Doc was running around telling EVERYONE that he's got a former Nurse working with him on his service. :laugh: GL in school. :)

Talk to ya later! :D

Burn,

In the beginning (of med school) I did not tell anyone what I had done in the past, however I was not the type to be dishonest when directly asked, so what was your undergrad degree in? Not many asked directly so it was not so hard to remain anonymous. Many of my classmates had been EMT's or techs (in the ED, in the OR, etc) and since I was a tech before nursing school, I could always relate one of my old tech stories:p There is no "cheating" involved here, remember to always take what you've been taught in med school to embellish on your "foundation". Good luck in school.

P.S. Since you will be in the capacity of being a medical student, you should identify yourself as such. When you are working as a nurse then identify as such. It prevents role confusion, not only for you but for the patient as well. You may come to understand what I mean as you go on in school, but there is no need to identify yourself except in the capacity in which you are working at the time. As Kat mentioned, professionals will notice something in the way you deal with patients that signifies some prior patient contact/experience, perhaps the patient may too, but unless you are asked directly, there is really no need to expound. (IMHO)

Kat, you know you rock as an MS III! go get'em.

ted, D.O.
somewhere in the city

Thank you, Ted and Kat, for your prompt and thoughtful replies. I will certainly have to retrain my brain!

P.S. Ted, my undergrad degree was a BSN. Not much of a cover there, huh? Hopefully no one will ask.:cool:

I was a nurse (RN) for 5 years prior to entering medical school.
I am now a resident at the same hospital that I worked at as a nurse. I can say that my former co-workers are very proud of me and they are a lot nicer to me now that I am a doctor.

I know of two MD's at my hospital that started out as nurses. One is a cardiologist, the other a family practice doctor. Let's just say that they are very well-liked and respected at my facility.

Hello everyone!

I have just joined the forum and have found this thread a very interesting read:) A liitle about me:

I am a UK RN who is starting a medical degree in September (equivalent to your MD, though here they are called MBChB). It was great to see so many of you over in the US have followed a similar route successfully. My degree course will be 4 years in length and is a course designed specifically for graduates from other health care disciplines (nursing, physiotherapy, radiolographers, psychologists etc). Previously I took BSc and MSc degrees in Nursing.

I have had nothing but good wishes, praise and general jubilation from both nursing and medical colleagues after they heard about my intensions to re-train. It is not that common in the UK for nurses to transfer to medical careers, but several others are begining to take the plunge! Entry for older applicants is also becoming more acceptable. A few years ago an upper age limit of 30 was the norm but I have gained entry at 37 and some are even older! Times are changing for the better over here:)

I am curious to know the difference between a DO and a MD degree? Is entry similar and is there a common foundation training or are the courses entirely seperate?

Anyway, nice to meet you all and if anyone has any questions about medicine, nursing or healthcare over this side of the pond, feel free to ask:)

This has got to be the longest thread in the world! It's very interesting.
I have one question. Let's say I already have my BSN and work at a hospital, will the hospital pay for my pre-medical courses? If so, can I work part-time in the hospital or do I have to be full time? Does it depend on if you're a part or full-time student also?

Hello Kev and welcome to the forum!

The prerequisite courses and entrance exams are the same for both the DO and MD degree. Both programs are 4 years in length and the coursework is the same except that as a DO our philosophy is healing the body by helping the body to heal itself. We have course instruction on osteopathic manipulative medicine for the first 2 years, then attempt to apply it during our clinical clerkships (in 3rd and 4th year). I have tried to use my training but I work in an extremely busy Emergency department so I have to admit, I am not using it as much as I had hoped.

Good luck in your courses Kev and keep us posted on your progress! Kat, maybe we should venture across the pond, and let'em all in on what it's like on this side of the world:eek: :laugh: :D

ted, D.O.
somewhere in the city:cool: :cool: :cool:

to answer your question tahitian, you have to speak to the person in charge of benefits in the hospital where you are employed. they will tell you how you will qualify for tuition reimbursement. these benefits vary from hospital to hospital so your best bet is to ask the person in charge of benefits. ted

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there Ted!

Just thought I'd post an update....

I finished up my OB/GYN rotation last week, and have now started on Peds. I'm still working like a dog....I've decided that I'm going to hang a shingle off my neck saying, "I am the MS-III, not the _______ (Intern/Resident/Doctor)." How is it that I'm getting more responsibility than the people who are "supposed" to be having it? My friend keeps telling me to take it as a compliment -- that they trust me and believe I am competent to handle it without the title. Maybe it's because I come in ready to work, and START working without someone directing me, when I hit the unit or the office. I don't know. I just know that I'm frustrated and bored with the routine and it's only the end of the first week -- five more to go...[sigh] :rolleyes: There's no TV hookup in this house either, so I'm going to have to start doing SOMETHING with my time off -- gotta find the gym, rent a DVD to watch on the computer maybe. I took House Officer call this week (read: I was volunteered). A bright spot was that I got to spend the whole 12 hr nite shift with a really cute intern...hehehe :thumbup: :wow: "Why, yes, Doctor, do all the stool OB's? Whatever you would like me to do..." :D :laugh:

We should be getting those dern pesky Board scores by the end of this week or early next week. Maybe that's what's bugging me...the suspense of the WAITING....grrr :mad: +pissed+ You would think that being in the computer age would speed things up....oh, wait, we're talking AOA and NBOME here....I ought to be glad that I didn't have to take the test on my own little slate with chalk.... ;)

Talk to you soon --

Kat :D

Originally posted by tedsadoc2002
Good luck in your courses Kev and keep us posted on your progress! Kat, maybe we should venture across the pond, and let'em all in on what it's like on this side of the world:eek: :laugh: :D
Thanks for that info Ted!We have osteopaths in the UK but they do not follow a medical doctorate program and can not prescribe drugs, so sounds very different to being a DO in the states.

Of course you should come over to the UK so we can show you how its done over here!!!:D Do you guys have an elective module on your courses where you get to study overseas? We have an 8 week module in Year 3 during which we can go anywhere in the world to study something medically related:clap: Sometimes, if it's timed well, we can even get a vacation added on the end:cool:

Well this week is my last week as a working RN! I then have a 6 week vacation before starting med school in September. Bring it on:laugh:

Hey Ted --

Just wanted to let you know that I passed Step 1 by a decent margin -- woowoo!

I'm in the midst of Little Human Incubator Land....and thankfully not ill yet. I get to start and end my day in the hospital with the new babies, and in between go to the office (yuck). I'm just not an "office" person...good god the PARENTS! :rolleyes: "And you brought your week old infant in today why?" "B/c he sneezed." "Uh Hhhhhhhh...." "And he didn't burp quite as fast after feeding him today like he usually does." "mmmm Hmmmmm...." :p Gotta luv it :laugh:

Hope all is well with you back in good ol' NY. I have to admit I miss the home state -- not that PA isn't a nice state, but, well, there's no place like the homefront. Plus everyone tawks nawmal back home... ;) :laugh:

Talk to you soon!

Kat,

You and my niece should really meet, I don't know why you both worried so much (but then again, what did I do then? early Alzheimer's cain't quite remember that fer back:D :D :D )

You know, I did not get sick during outpatient peds, I got sick during family practice when my preceptor sneezed directly ON ME!!!!!:eek: I didn't exactly like office practice either, but I got to follow my patients all the way around (espec. with FP/OB) one day I'd be caring for the expectant mother, then I'd deliver her, then I'd see the baby in well baby clinic. Can't believe I did all those things once upon a time.

The ED is hopping, just got back from an evening shift, it's funny now how much more comfortable I am these days, now if I could just figure out what I'm doing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kev, we have "selectives" (pick from a pre-planned group of electives) and an elective in our last year of residency. We are fighting to get them to allow us to go outside of the hospital (they don't want us to leave) for our elective and since International Emergency Med is what I might decide to do a fellowship in, this would be beneficial. Well, got to catch some z's so I can be fresh for church and then the overnight shift looms. Night all

ted

Bumpin' right back at ya, baby! :laugh:

I just started my Wally World (aka: Psych) rotation this past week. Seems OK so far. Going from 0930 - about 1700....kinda stinky hours for a Psych rotation (most of my classmates had afternoons off), but it's not like I'm slaving all day over here. The hardest part of the rotation is staying awake when these people start babbling on and on and on....zzzzzzzz...oh, gee, sorry, tell me about those voices again....?.... :D As you can start to tell, I'm becoming very therapeutic.... :p ;)

Hope all is well, Ted! Talk you you soon.

Kathy :D

Hey NurseyK,
I'm invading your nursing thread to say hello! How are things going? Psych till 5 does kinda suck...I was done at 3:00 on most days!
Well, I hope all is going well. Two rotations down, how many more to go? :D

The beauty of my psych rotation was that

1. It was a state facility (and there were some legal holidays though the school was open, we were off. that was awesome)

2. my preceptor felt that if there wasn't much going on, you could better spend the time reading where ever you needed to (like home:D )

3. it was in January and the weather was nice plus I had 2 visits from friends and family so I had enough time to enjoy the sights with them.

I could NOT imagine having to sit there all day (I was in a PRISON unit):eek: :eek: :eek:

My ED month is winding up this week then it is off to the critical care units (hmmm, hopefully not like wards). Hope you haven't decided to go psycho on us Kat:D But if you do, there's a nice ward eh, I mean, residency here in the city just waiting for you!

ted the ER doc:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hey, my mom is a nurse (RN/BSN). She makes a lotta money (over $100,000)

ULTRON

Hey there all!

Only 3 more weeks to go on Psych....then on to Family Practice (and home with my Bunnies). I was home this weekend with the fuzzy li'l creatures. :love:

I HATE these 6 week rotations :mad: I'm sooooo done after 4 weeks. I'm going to just DIE during my IM rotation after FP (it's 12 weeks --- AHHHHHH :eek: ). The place I'm doing my IM at is one of the places I'm thinking about doing my Internship. On the up-side, after those 12 weeks of being an employee...ah'hem...I mean being on rotation...I'll pretty much know if I want to apply there or not! :laugh:

I'm going to try to keep my sanity for the next few weeks. I tell ya, one more "I'm so depressed/anxious....blah, blah" I'M going to need some Paxil with an Ativan chaser! :p

Talk to ya later!

PS: No call on this rotation (woo-woo!); but no cute intern either :( :laugh:

bumpity bump bump,

I agree with you on the length of things, we had 4 week blocks and I was grateful. I am also grateful that it's what we have as residents too. Sometimes, certain things can't end too soon (like a month on the wards:laugh: :laugh: ) Now did I say that?:laugh: :laugh:

ted

Got my eval for the rotation today...I gave it to the Doc yesterday thinking he'd take the weekend to do it b/c of call for the next 2 nites. Next thing I know he's handing it to me today.....woo-woo! Just call me slacker for the next week! :laugh: I told him thanks for the kewl B.Day present! :D

Kat <--- one year older today :hardy:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now if you've made it as far as I have at the ripe young age of 5,279 (that's 3277 BC or if you want to be agnostic BCE), let me know and we'll really party.

ted, the justified and the ancient

Doin' da bump.....

Hey Ted...thankx for the B.Day wishes! :oops:

I finished Psych with my psyche intact...:laugh: The rotation turned out to be better than I expected a "psych" rotation to be. Now, not that I want to go into Psych mind you. :p

I'm into my FP rotation now...caca is what I have to say. Back into the dreaded office. Thankfully, my Attending is the Director of the FP Residency program here...that means lots of "administrative task" time. I was honest with him about my background and how I feel "stuck" in an office all day/every day (read: drained and dare I say depressed)...ssoooooo....after watching me with a few patients in the office, he now lets me tag along with the Medicine team and their Attending instead of staying in the office and tagging along with a different Doc or PA while he's "administrating". I must say that I've been getting the **** pimped out of me, but the Medicine team Attending nudged me in the elevator the other day and said, "Hey, you're pretty smart." :oops: :D The residents I was with nearly fell over...along with me! Here, I thought I wasn't answering anything right! :laugh: Medicine rounds aren't exactly a cake-walk, but at least I feel stimulated and thinking (I know, that sounds weird). My IM rotation is next, so I'm trying to pick up some rounding pointers from the residents now (they are really nice to me, considering I'm basically this huge parasite a few days each week).

Welp, that's my story and I'm sticking with it....:clap: ;)

bring it on up!!!!

can't believe that my second year is almost at the halfway point!!!!!

I am almost at the start of my 6th rotation (those germ incubators again:D ) and I've got to start thinking seriously about taking step 3:eek:

I think this is interesting that in 18 short months I'll be unleashed on the world as an ATTENDING, EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK.

But on the upside, if I'm lucky enough, I can go to where the sun shines all day, aaaah what a thought on a miserably rainy day and my sinuses are not being kind.

Kat and all, hope things are going well out there.

ted, D.O.
somewhere in the city

Wow. This have become a greater thread than the one I remembered! This thread is writing history -- nurses back in the days did not go into medicine, but clearly they are now. Despite being older, from a different health field, you guys have shown that it can be overcome. Keep up with the interesting stories -- I know I feel like a secret stalker, but I can't get enough. Perhaps someday I will have my own tales to tell.:p :p

Hi all,

I figured I'd bump this back up to the top. Doing the Peds ICU this month. Interesting pathology going on here DI, CAH (complete with ambiguity), Dandy Walker syndrome, stuff I thought I'd only see in the textbooks. Off on Thanksgiving, sweet deal! Interview season is almost upon us (wow) and there'll be more free lunches to attend:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hope everyone everywhere has a happy healthy Thanksgiving, see ya when I see ya!

ted, D.O.
somewhere in the city

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I only read the first page of this thread, but you do seem to be looking for praise, a pat on the back, etc. Your family and friends can give you that. You did this on your own, not involving them to begin with, I think you should continue that way. Seeking validation and praise from others is useless and just creates stress and resentment when you do not get it.
Anyways, good luck in DO school!!!

I am an idiot. The above message I left is two years too late.
Sorry:(

hahah...that was kinda funny...

but, nonetheless, im sure ur congratulations is well received....this thread it pretty interesting..

Hey there!

Glad to hear you are doing well, Ted. Take that DERN Step 3 already, will ya! Wait any longer and you'll be taking Step 3 and EM Boards back-to-back!!!! :laugh:

I'm sure you've heard about the COMLEX-PE for Step 2 for our class of 2005....yuck....heck, what's another couple of thousand dollars on top of the "mortgage" I've accrued so far? :rolleyes:

All done with FP now. Onto IM. I tell ya...there must be a reason why I get the same personality type (read: nut case) over and over again in my life. (Must be a life lesson in here somewhere.) I have a HUGE nut for a Resident for the next 4 weeks. As an example, he/she believes that I (the MS III) should be rounding each and every day, including my days off-call and every weekend, also, none of my H&P's or daily notes should be included in the chart. :eek: Ya just have to luv the thought of spinning your wheels! I'm here for 3 months, so I'll be going thru Attendings, Residents, and Interns more frequently than I change my undies. Uh..wait...maybe that doesn't sound right... :p Gonna have to make my own rotation on this one, since no one seems to know what to do with us pesky students... :)

Talk to you later!

Kathy :D

:mad: :mad: :mad: That comlex thing was on the drawing board when I was on the National Board of SOMA and we did not (as students) think it was such a good idea but who ever listens to students, oh by the way the AOA theme for that year was "Year of the Student":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're right on the back to back step 3/EM boards thing, why rush when you can't even moonlight (my program prohibits it).

There is always some nut a squirrel didn't take a good hard bite into that decides it might just want to bite back. Just squash'em Kat you know you can run rings around that cracked nut any day and Sunday to boot (it wasn't any easier when I was an MS-3 with just an attending, because if they didn't want to deal with you, they just didn't).

Keep your chin up. The ancient one has just added another to her years of ?wisdom? 5,280! What a life. Hope all goes well the rest of the way in IM. Keep us posted

ted:cool: :cool: :cool:

Could you hear me sigh all the way over there in the City?.....

Had post-call day today (read: cleaned up the mess from last nite) AND nooooo nutty Resident today. Just us chickens with the Attending and it was ssssooooo nice....:hardy:

Back with the nut tomorrow...DDDEERRRRNNNN {pout}

But, on the up side, we have a Grand Rounds presentation tomorrow morning on "Osteopathic Medicine" right here in this little ol' allopathic hospital (OH MY!!). Now maybe my Team of 5 MD's might be able to figure out what this humble DO MSIII keeps talking about! :laugh:

Unless that sigh was interspersed with the wicked winds that are causing the evil 2nd blizzard of '03 (the other one on President's Day). When is 2005 going to get here, this weather will be the death me, I need a solar infusion and mega heat therapy!!!!

Tomorrow is my call day, usually the ride into the city is 45 mins on a good day, an hour and change on a bad day, and on a day like today (what with all the speed deamons) with ice and snow, lets go for 2 hours and change. That wouldn't bother me much but add to that the frustration of trying to get out of an unshoveled driveway (a hgb or 9 or less is not conducive to shoveling) and you'll see why I want to head for the desert on the fastest flying carpet.

I haven't heard much in the way of osteopathic things in a while, and I do miss it. Maybe (as the pioneer DO in my program) I should give a conference based on it. (That means more work, er, maybe I'll wait for the junior DO's to do it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Keep that nut case on his/her toes! I know you can do it. Keep that magic number in your head 2-0-0-5, it'll be here faster than you know. Keep up the good work Kat!

ted:cool: :cool: :cool:

:cool: :cool: :cool: Doin' da bump!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!! Hope everyone has a great holiday (hopefully you'll be off, like ME, hahahahahaha)

or should that be hohohohohohohoho!!!!!

see ya!

OOOOOOOoooooooo --- I've let this thread slide too far down!

I'm on the evil of all evil rotations -- IM. For 12 loooonnnggg weeks. This sux badddd. Thankfully I'm doing sub-specialties now (Pulm/Crit Care, Cardio, ID, GI) for the next 4 weeks so all should be much better than the day-to-day hell on the wards.

As I click my heels together...only 1 year and 4 months, only 1 year and 4 months....;)

I guess I should start thinking about this whole scary match process...maybe buy a First Aid type book for more of an explanation of the match than my school gave us (which was NOTHING!)...?

Ted-the-Pioneer, I know you are doin' us DO's proud down there in the City! :cool:

*off topic* lol, "bunny slave". kinda kinky.

Hey all,

Kat, get Iserson's book. I got it for my niece (stupid me, I didn't get one for myself, I did get First Aid for the Match which was okay) she says it is great. My school wasn't all that forthcoming with match news especially if you were going allopathic.

In school, working on the wards was not as bad as when I was an intern, but thank heavens I wasn't lulled into a false sense of security when I decided what specialty to select when I was going through the match process!

I am in the MICU this month and I am loving it (from a former critical care nurse). Wished I could do a fellowship in critical care but I don't think I can be board certified:( So 16 more months for me too, and then the TRUE TRANSITION BEGINS!

We can make it (I know that we can, I know darn well we can work it out, oh yes we can, can yes we, oops an OLD OLD song)
got to stop now. Best wishes to all, from the frozen tundra

ted, D.O.
somewhere in the city:cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the book suggestion, Ted! I'll add that to my list of books to order for the springtime.

1 week and 2 days until the end of this rotation. I've been with this really kewl Crit Care Doc. He's figured out what a procedure-***** I am and, thankfully, is the type of guy that let's me actually DO stuff -- woo, woo! :clap: I feel quite comfy here at this hospital, so I'm getting a bit sad about leaving (oh, man, this whole medschool stress thing has made me go soft now!). They do have an AOA Internship here. I'm thinking heavily about coming back for it. I guess my question would be: does it really matter for Residency where you've done your Internship? or is it just a matter of getting the year done, putting the check in the box, and moving on? I've got a few more hospitals to check out, so I'm going to try my best to keep my mind open....

I guess I should get back to my knots (the pre-surgery rotation jitters have kicked in).....knit one, pearl two....ooh, wait, that's something else. Damn, no wonder why these knots don't look right! ;) :laugh:

Talk to you soon!

Hi Kat !

I have followed your post for a long time. Great info. Just curious, You haven't mentioned about your husband lately ? Are you folks still together ? How did he react with your time spending away for school and clinical rotation ?

I may go away from my wife for awhile to attend dental school this coming August. Hope we can handle it for the next few years.

Hi Larry! Thankx for following my humble thread :oops: It's become quite therapeutic at this point!

Hubby is doing okay, thanks for asking. I'm basically living out of my car, travelling to a new hospital every 6 weeks. I get home when I can. Most of my rotations have been within a reasonable distance so I can get home on weekends when I'm not on call (or exhausted). I've been spoiled by being home for the last 6 weeks, so it's going to be hard to get on the road again (I leave for Pennsylvania on Sunday). That's another reason why this hospital I'm leaving now looks so good for Intern year -- I'd be able to come home to my own house every nite. Hubby needs to stay where he is for the magic business (most of the gigs come from NY, LI, NJ), so him moving around with me is not an option. Plus, most importantly, he's gotta take care of the Show-Biz Bunz! :laugh:

Been out :hardy: tonite and now I'm :sleep:

Tune-in this week for new rotation drama! :laugh:

Hey all!

I'm currently on my Surg rotation. I'm hooked up with this really kewl 2nd yr. We don't have an Attending this week (he's on vaca), so needless to say it's a little sssllooowwww. We are doing rounds with one of the other Surg teams. On that team there is a MS III and MS IV. Let me tell you what an a$$-kisser the MS III is! He shoves me out of the way on rounds and tries to give me "advice" about being a star student ("you should go and fetch the charts for us"). :rolleyes: I thought I was gonna kill the kid! My Resident (and the others) do notice this kid's antics -- I mean, you can see his a$$-sucking from across the room. :wow: So now, after this kid pulls off some kind of a$$-kissing scene, my Resident looks at me and I rub the tip of my nose and we both try not to crack up in front of the entire team. :p :laugh:

I still think I'm going to go back to my last hospital for Intern year (AOA). They made the offer before I left the first time (after FP rotation) and asked again before I left the 2nd time (after IM). I really miss everyone there. I felt really "at home." What the hell, right? From what I hear, where you go for AOA Intern year doesn't matter. You get some great letters of rec from it, the AOA puts a check-mark in the box that it's done, and then you move on to do whatever Residency (I'll do the Allo Match for EM after Intern year). I just hope that I can find a Residency that I feel as comfey as this hosp I'm thinking about for Intern year....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :clap:

Ted -- hope all is well out there in PGY2-land!

Originally posted by NurseyK
Hey all!

I'm currently on my Surg rotation. I'm hooked up with this really kewl 2nd yr. We don't have an Attending this week (he's on vaca), so needless to say it's a little sssllooowwww. We are doing rounds with one of the other Surg teams. On that team there is a MS III and MS IV. Let me tell you what an a$$-kisser the MS III is! He shoves me out of the way on rounds and tries to give me "advice" about being a star student ("you should go and fetch the charts for us"). :rolleyes: I thought I was gonna kill the kid! My Resident (and the others) do notice this kid's antics -- I mean, you can see his a$$-sucking from across the room. :wow: So now, after this kid pulls off some kind of a$$-kissing scene, my Resident looks at me and I rub the tip of my nose and we both try not to crack up in front of the entire team. :p :laugh:

I still think I'm going to go back to my last hospital for Intern year (AOA). They made the offer before I left the first time (after FP rotation) and asked again before I left the 2nd time (after IM). I really miss everyone there. I felt really "at home." What the hell, right? From what I hear, where you go for AOA Intern year doesn't matter. You get some great letters of rec from it, the AOA puts a check-mark in the box that it's done, and then you move on to do whatever Residency (I'll do the Allo Match for EM after Intern year). I just hope that I can find a Residency that I feel as comfey as this hosp I'm thinking about for Intern year....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :clap:

Ted -- hope all is well out there in PGY2-land!

wish luck to all of the PGY's regardless of year number!!! ya made it!!!

First off congrats.

Second off, why I think they didn't congratulate you:

In today's society the nursing shortage is growing to be worse and worse and worse and the hours and amount of work they have to put up with is crazy for the much lesser pay they get.

Everytime one nurse leaves to go to medical school it decreases the amount of the nurses by one each time and increases the work load of all of the other nurses and the stress levels.

That could be why they are not so jolly about you gettin in. That's just my point of view.

TTTEEEEEDDDD -- where are you? Are you still in the Unit? I'm doing EM next rotation and I can't wait to get back on familiar ground.

My Attending came back from vaca, so we are slightly busier than last week.....[sigh] only 4 weeks and 4 days to go....

Gotta take Medicine house-call tomorrow nite (gotta luv it -- on a surg rotation and I have to take medicine call too -- ouch) :p

As long as I can stay out of the Firing-Range (ahem...I mean, the OR) I'll be ok. I never thought I'd say that, considering I like to do procedures and get my hands in everything I can. Probably has to do with the huge amount of testosterone that my poor little ovaries are trying to stand up against.... ;) :laugh:

Gotta make an attempt at studying tonite (read: stare at some pages until bedtime). It doesn't help that I'm living with 3 MSIV's who have already Matched for FP and are just waiting around until graduation! :laugh:

Soooo --

On lovely Surg rotation now. My Resident (buffer) is on vaca for a week so it was just going to be me and the Attending :eek: , but they found an Intern that wasn't too busy (does that even exist?) and hooked him up with the service until my Resident gets back. At least someone else can share in the yelling and chastising from the Attending ("Honest, Sir, my head is NOT up my a$$..."). What I find amazing is that these guys spend all day busting each other's ballz, then go, "Hey, dude, let's get a beer." Meanwhile, I'm still vibrating from the hollering all day. I guess that's just the difference between how men and women relate to each other. Hell, I've heard how stupid women are so many times now I just go, "Yep." My Attending turns to me (after an a$$-chewing) and says, "You know, you ought to be a Surgeon." NO THANKX, buddy, I'm going back to my nice safe ER. :D

My Medicine call nite went fine -- thanks to a kewl Intern (who wasn't too bad to look at either :thumbup: :wow: ). I'm hoping I don't get snagged for another Medicine call (I'm here for another 3 weeks) -- I'd rather do a string of nites than a 24 hour call each week, ya know? I still need to pull a weekend for Surg call (sigh)....

I guess I'd better get back to looking busy ;)