***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you looking to live in the lennar homes on MI... this was just posted to craigslist a couple of days ago.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/apa/161063605.html

2100 bucks is a screamin deal... just a few mos ago three similar houses were going for 2900 and 2800 a month!!

lucky person, whoever snags this.

Members don't see this ad.

CoverMe said:
For those of you looking to live in the lennar homes on MI... this was just posted to craigslist a couple of days ago.

2100 bucks is a screamin deal... just a few mos ago three similar houses were going for 2900 and 2800 a month!!

PS... even if you have to rent it all summer, it's a good deal.

Thats the place me and a couple other girls will be livign...i think they sent the hold deposit for the place on thurs....but im gonna visit to make sure i like it as much as they do

and yes it is a great deal...and hopefully it works out!

:)

CoverMe said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok... So I am watching the pistons game but wanted to get a word out there about school. I start in august as well and am nervously excited. I want to live with other people and have a black lab mix so if anyone is in, drop me a line. No matter what though, definitely need to meet up with people in our class before orientation. I live in los angeles right now. If anyone has info about a place that allows dogs and wants roomates... I better hear about it.

DEEEETTTTRRROOOITTTT BAAAAAASSSSKKKETTBALLLLLL

donaldjm said:
Ok... So I am watching the pistons game but wanted to get a word out there about school. I start in august as well and am nervously excited. I want to live with other people and have a black lab mix so if anyone is in, drop me a line. No matter what though, definitely need to meet up with people in our class before orientation. I live in los angeles right now. If anyone has info about a place that allows dogs and wants roomates... I better hear about it.

Hey donaldjm...
I can't help you with your housing situation but I bet you enjoyed the game this afternoon! I love to see the pistons win too!
I grew up in Michigan, and in fact saw them live back in the days of Isiah Thomas...yes I know that was a long time ago...I will be cheering for them to sweep Miami...
We have been talking about a pre-orientation get together...just check back I am sure we will post more info as it comes up.
Good luck with your housing search.
Tamara

Drinks?? Coffee?! I specifically said "group hug."

I hope nobody has cooties...we haven't learned how to treat that yet. Maybe some day.

SheLioness said:
bnoosha said:
Im gonna be visiting the area next weekend (memorial day weekend) to see the neighborhood (b/c last time i was at TUCOM..i didnt see any new developments)
Hey Boosha, I am in town next week Tue through Sun looking for places to live. :cool: I would love to meet up with you (and me2vn and anyone else) for drinks at My Office or coffee at some quaint coffeeshop. I am looking forward to seeing Vallejo and TUCOM again. It was all a bit of a blur when I was there last. :laugh:

Sorry to have missed the Open House. I am psyched about the OMM lab. That rocks!

Hey everyone -

I am going to be an applicant for the class of 2011. I was referred to this thread by a fellow poster. I just want to thank everyone for all the great information about Tuoro-MI and the area. This thread has confirmed why Tuoro-MI is one of my top choices. Thanks again!

Hey Everyone! :)

Wow, I’m so glad to have found your postings! Thank you so much for all the information!!! I am in the Class of 2010 and hopefully will be moving out from Boston in the beginning of July. I am lucky to have some family near SF, including my brother, and have therefore already come to know and love the Bay Area through visiting them in the past, but I’m sure I’ll still be really nervous about such a big move. I can’t believe how quickly everything is approaching and that in a couple months we’ll be actively on our way to becoming physicians! I can’t wait to meet all of you so please count me in on the pre-orientation fun!

Elaine

For all you recent TUCOMers, don't forget to add yourselves to the frappr site! Here's the link! I called the other day and they said that the listserv should be up in the next couple of weeks.

CLICK HERE

donaldjm said:

HECK YEAHHHHHH

DDDEEEETTTTTRRRROOOOIIIIITTTT BAAASSSKKKEEETTTBBAAALLLLL

No one gets it unless you are a fan. WOW I love this game...
And now to take on the Heat. Bring it.

I've been following this thread for awhile and it's great to see so much excitement for starting med school! I'll be joining everyone as part of the c/o 2010... all the way from Florida.

I've also been looking at possible places to stay, I think I'm settling down on Broadstone Sterling in Vallejo, but I have yet to visit. Has anyone visited this apt complex?

Can't wait to meet everyone in August! :)

Welcome to our thread! Welcome to Touro!
I haven't actually visited the complex, but I will be in the area Wednesday and I will make a point of driving by to tell you what I think of the area, on the map it is in a location that I think is ok. It depends what you are looking for...FYI...for the price of the units you could actually rent a house in the area, or rent a house with another student for a lot less. Just a thought.
only 70 more days until school starts!!! :D YAHOOOOO!

Hello

I visited broadstone apartments a couple of months ago. The apartments appear to be perfect on the website, and I was set that this would be the place i would choose to live. However, after visiting my perception did change a bit.

The apartments really are nice (they are brand new and come with all the wonderful upgrades as listed on the website). Also the pool area and fitness center are really nice as well. The problem with broadsone in my opinion, is that it is situated in the not so nice area of vallejo. Across the street is another apartment complex, which when i drove by didnt seem to have the nicest people roaming around. In addition, there is a shopping center really close by, and when i drove by it, i didnt feel like i would be comfortable walking around there (but that may just be me....a girl...coming from a super safe neighborhood). Also, the apartments are a bit pricey, and the price keeps going up (for example it is $100 extra a month for a garage).

Anyhow, i think you should check out bluerockvillage apartments. They are situated in a nicer part of vallejo (but about a 10-15 min drive to school) and they are also nice apartments and more reasonably priced.

Okay just my two cents.

HOpe it helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

DrMK said:
I've been following this thread for awhile and it's great to see so much excitement for starting med school! I'll be joining everyone as part of the c/o 2010... all the way from Florida.

I've also been looking at possible places to stay, I think I'm settling down on Broadstone Sterling in Vallejo, but I have yet to visit. Has anyone visited this apt complex?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMK said:

DrMK I think that the broadstone apartments are awesome. I traveled up to Vallejo in March and checked out 7 different apartment complexes around on the east side of vallejo and the northwest (above tennesee) side of vallejo and found that broadstone were the nicest. Not only are they brand new, but they include a washer and dryer in unit, a beautiful gated community, and super large bathrooms. I thought the area they are built in was pretty safe, not too many strange looking people lurking around. It is about five minutes away from campus, and there is a starbucks right around the corner. People are concerned about safety in that area for the most part, but i didnt feel uneasy at all. Who knows though, it might just be me being a Texan... lol Needless to say I will be moving into broadstone come July 1st.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Bnoosha, thanks for the info and the suggestion of Blue Rock Village. As a girl too, I can see where you're coming from if it seems a little different...

Texbsedo, thanks for your advice. I really liked how the website presented itself and the units...

I will ultimately be visiting Vallejo in June to apartment hunt and hopefully decide on a place. Any other areas suggested to check out in a day would be greatly appreciated. Gotta make the most out of a long plane trip. :cool:

I am still amazed that more people aren't mentioning American Canyon, is it because it is in Napa County? I am sure I am a little partial because that is where I rented a house but the crime rate in AC is half that of the national average and a lot less than the best areas in Vallejo (no area in Vallejo is less than the national average crime rate) It is only 15 minutes from Touro and there is a brand new apartment complex being built as we speak....I thought it was kind of expensive...but now that I am seeing what the places in Vallejo are going for it isn't that bad! The difference between Vallejo and American Canyon is like night and day...and as a girl...you get a feeling if a place is safe and the reason I stayed away from Vallejo was because I couldn't find many places I thought were adequate to live in.
Here’s the link to the apartment complex in American Canyon...

http://www.fairfield-properties.com/weblink/weblinks/forms/wbl_property_home.asp?scode=1243

and the prices

1 Bedroom 1 bath $1358 - $1576 Sq ft. 715 - 850
2 Bedroom 2 bath $1655 - $1782 Sq ft. 970 - 1085
3 Bedroom 2 bath $2132 Sq ft. 1322

Good Luck!
Tamara

I must agree with Tamara and American Canyon. It's only about 5-10 minute drive to Highway 37 and then Touro is another 5 min away past that. Straight-shot into Vallejo too.

And if you happen to get lost and head the other direction, then you might end up in Napa instead of the "inner city" :)

I haven't a clue what kind of housing is in American Canyon though. Maybe someone else who has visited that area would know.

-2vn

me2vn said:
I must agree with Tamara and American Canyon. It's only about 5-10 minute drive to Highway 37 and then Touro is another 5 min away past that. Straight-shot into Vallejo too.

And if you happen to get lost and head the other direction, then you might end up in Napa instead of the "inner city" :)

I haven't a clue what kind of housing is in American Canyon though. Maybe someone else who has visited that area would know.

-2vn
I whole-heartedly do not agree with this, but have you seen how SDN ranked Touro-MI? I don't see any criteria to back up their claim.

If you want to see it, go to the SND homepage, under the heading students, rankings and find your way to the DO rankings. Its biased if you ask me. Any thoughts?

Well, it would be difficult to call this a "comprehensive ranking". What they did was collect all of the interview feedback from the "interview feedback" page, and based on how interviewees ranked the school, generated the "rankings". Bear in mind that these are not medical student rankings, but rather they are interviewee rankings based on their 4-hour interview day. I know that many ranked Touro lower because of the location, and the fact that yes, the island is a bit on the ugly side. However, using these data as a ranking is a dubious undertaking. If they were to actually poll current students, I think you'd find that the rankings would be quite different. Touro students tend to have a lot of camraderie and not a lot of competitiveness and tend to really like the school. Take everything you read on SDN with a grain of salt.

Also, many of the interviewees that ranked Touro lower tend to be those that had a negative impression of the school because of negative attitudes. For example, there are two postings(ostensibly from the same person) that lambast the school and the admissions director for singling them out as a target and riding them during the interview process, and then a later post from someone in the same interview group that said that that particular individual came in with an attitude and tried to ruin everyone else's experience. Apparently this individual already had multiple acceptances, and so they had a rather large chip on their shoulder.

You can know nothing about the school until you do a tour and actually speak to some of the students about their experiences there.

HemaOncoDoc said:
I whole-heartedly do not agree with this, but have you seen how SDN ranked Touro-MI? I don't see any criteria to back up their claim.

If you want to see it, go to the SND homepage, under the heading students, rankings and find your way to the DO rankings. Its biased if you ask me. Any thoughts?

I am a little confused....what do you "whole heartedly" not agree with? The rankings? or the post you have above your comment? I have always considered myself astute, but I can't figure out why you are replying to your above comment with something that has nothing to do with what we are talking about...can you clarify?
I thought we were talking about areas to live? And that I can comment about...I live in northern California, I own property in northern California and I have a really good idea what a good area is. Vallejo happens to be one of the areas of California I don't want to live (Pomona is another...where Western is)...but I also don't want to live in Florida (can't stand snakes and alligators), or Chicago, or the Midwest again(all of which I have lived). So if I have to travel 15 minutes to get to school that is fine with me...that is 40 minutes less than I drove to school as an undergraduate. (I am thrilled about 15 minutes)
So let's cut to the chase....If you are a woman who likes to go running at 5am or 10pm I would completely stay away from Vallejo. (unless you are in Glenn Cove or one of the new neighborhoods on Mare Island...but then your running route is limited) But Benicia and American Canyon are only minutes away. Fairfield, and Berkley are also close enough to commute. Some students commute from SF, but that is way to far for me. If you are a man, you could probably live anywhere you like and you won't have a problem...except south of Tennesee St you may have your car stripped in the middle of the night...hum....that can happen in all kinds of areas all across the US.
Also if you want to talk about where the campus is, I think Touro is insightful...they saw an opportunity to capture a lot of land and exsisting buildings to expand before the major renovation of the island started. The transformation of the island in the past two years is amazing...and I see even more happening in the next two years. I wish I had the money to grab up some property on the island.
Only 70 more days until school starts! I'm pumped!

DRofO said:
I am a little confused....what do you "whole heartedly" not agree with? The rankings? or the post you have above your comment? I have always considered myself astute, but I can't figure out why you are replying to your above comment with something that has nothing to do with what we are talking about...can you clarify?
I thought we were talking about areas to live? And that I can comment about...I live in northern California, I own property in northern California and I have a really good idea what a good area is. Vallejo happens to be one of the areas of California I don't want to live (Pomona is another...where Western is)...but I also don't want to live in Florida (can't stand snakes and alligators), or Chicago, or the Midwest again(all of which I have lived). So if I have to travel 15 minutes to get to school that is fine with me...that is 40 minutes less than I drove to school as an undergraduate. (I am thrilled about 15 minutes)
So let's cut to the chase....If you are a woman who likes to go running at 5am or 10pm I would completely stay away from Vallejo. (unless you are in Glenn Cove or one of the new neighborhoods on Mare Island...but then your running route is limited) But Benicia and American Canyon are only minutes away. Fairfield, and Berkley are also close enough to commute. Some students commute from SF, but that is way to far for me. If you are a man, you could probably live anywhere you like and you won't have a problem...except south of Tennesee St you may have your car stripped in the middle of the night...hum....that can happen in all kinds of areas all across the US.
Also if you want to talk about where the campus is, I think Touro is insightful...they saw an opportunity to capture a lot of land and exsisting buildings to expand before the major renovation of the island started. The transformation of the island in the past two years is amazing...and I see even more happening in the next two years. I wish I had the money to grab up some property on the island.
Only 70 more days until school starts! I'm pumped!
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to have my comment stuck to someone's post. It was in reference to SDN's ranking of Touro based on post-interview surveys.

I've found the comparisons between housing around the Touro area to very informative. This will help me this coming year while I'm applying.

Another bit of information I found had me flustered.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_debt_brief.php

It is a U.S. News report of how much debt the average student incurs after graduating from medical school. How did Touro-MI lead this list? Above WV? Any comments about this?

Yeh,

So I decided I'm not doing the military thing until next year if ever. So my graduate and undergraduate loans could tip my easily over 300,000 when I graduate. Funny thing is that my past loans are consolidated so I am paying a really low interest rate. Med school's rate will average 6-8%...about 3 times my previous rate.

Interest is everything. I figure I'll wait and see after a year and make decisions then. We don't have much control over it now so no reason to dwell.

-sarah

HemaOncoDoc said:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to have my comment stuck to someone's post. It was in reference to SDN's ranking of Touro based on post-interview surveys.

I've found the comparisons between housing around the Touro area to very informative. This will help me this coming year while I'm applying.

Another bit of information I found had me flustered.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_debt_brief.php

It is a U.S. News report of how much debt the average student incurs after graduating from medical school. How did Touro-MI lead this list? Above WV? Any comments about this?

Well...that is a very easy question...look at location. Even though I have never been to WV I would guess it is similar to Kentucky (my sister lives there)...and she bought a 5 bedroom house on 10 acres for 280,000...the same house in Vallejo would be 2-3 million (in SF it would easily be 3-4 million)! I was contemplating going to a school out east and the cost difference for me to live out there was $20,000 a year less ($9500 less in tuition...Touro has to pay their employees more because the cost of living out here is double what it is in places like WV)...when I made my final decision it came down to where I would be happiest...Vallejo has no snow (yet is an easy drive to Tahoe to go snowboarding)...and I was more impressed with the people I met at Touro. So if that still doesn't answer your question another simple explaination is Touro charges more, because they can....Location,location,location. They have it, and it cost more.

DRofO said:
Well...that is a very easy question...look at location. Even though I have never been to WV I would guess it is similar to Kentucky (my sister lives there)...and she bought a 5 bedroom house on 10 acres for 280,000...the same house in Vallejo would be 2-3 million (in SF it would easily be 3-4 million)! I was contemplating going to a school out east and the cost difference for me to live out there was $20,000 a year less ($9500 less in tuition...Touro has to pay their employees more because the cost of living out here is double what it is in places like WV)...when I made my final decision it came down to where I would be happiest...Vallejo has no snow (yet is an easy drive to Tahoe to go snowboarding)...and I was more impressed with the people I met at Touro. So if that still doesn't answer your question another simple explaination is Touro charges more, because they can....Location,location,location. They have it, and it cost more.
Thanks! That's what I was figuring. I've lived in New England my whole life, so the snow and cold doesn't phase me. However, I'm ready for a climate change. One of the reason's I'm applying to Touro-MI is for its climate. Shipping my car will be a pain.

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if people have already set a date to meet before orientation.
I am so excited about going to TUCOM since I only live about 30 min. from campus in El Cerrito. SO anyone who lives around the Bay Area do you want to get together some time?
Hope everyone is having a great week :D

Maria

Hi all,

I'm just introducing myself as well. I'm kinda new to this whole SDN thing... but I was wondering if anyone knows how late we can safely look for housing? I'm going to be out of the country... going to spain and italy for 10 days, so I wont be back until mid-june. Also, my good friend is waitlisted and I'm hoping I can live with her, but I'm waiting to see if she gets in, which I won't really know until I get back, at which point she will be in Africa until the begining of july... so if anyone knows, how hard is it to find housing last minute?

Thanks a bunch! :luck: :D

Hey you guys... the first years are putting together a book sale for you guys (something the first years do every year).

**The web site for reserving your used books will be open July 1st thru July 3oth.

**When the book sale is ready to go, you will get an email via your (by then functioning) listserve. (you will have already been given a link to your required text list by the school)

**You will be able to go online and reserve the books you want, you don't pay for them online.

**You will pick the books up (and pay for them via check) during the first week of school.

**It is not necessary to have every book on the first day of school, getting your books the first week is fine.

**This is a great way to get your books used, for cheap, and not have to pay for shipping.

Several people i know bought every book on the book list, at brand-new prices. Most of them were HIGHLY IRRITATED after the fact, since that was mostly an unnecessary and extremely expensive way to go about getting books.

When you get assigned to your big-sib, talk to them about the books they used the most. Personally, I would absolutely make sure i bought the Blumenfeld and Nolte texts for neuro, ONE of the books for PD (I prefer the Mosby), ONE of the biochem books, a Grants' dissector (for home use, lab copies can be bought from mr silverman), a Rohen's atlas, and a Netters. I used Wheater's "Functional Histology" and the Wheater's atlas (it probably doesn't matter, but i liked the Wheaters... the photos looked most like what Dr. Elul was using)... but either way, you only need one histo atlas. Clinically Oriented Anatomy is necessary and.... that's all i can think of right now. Oh, I really like my Netter's neuro atlas too. And my netter's flashcards. THIS IS JUST THE BARE MINIMUM... be prepared to buy more as the year progresses. The genetics book... can't remember the name... is good and extremely helpful. (edit: Also, Langman's medical embryology, and the epidemiology book are required and necessary).

Last year, we were all members of SOMA, and therefore got a Netters given to us. I believe you will all have to individually join SOMA this coming year. So, personally, I'd probably join SOMA and get a Netters, rather than buy a Netters and end up joining SOMA anyway!!!!

Generally speaking, considering how much money you're saving by buying these things used, I'd recommend buying more than less. Because, once the sale is over, you're going to be paying retail plus shipping, and hope it gets here on time (this I learned from personal experience... amazon bites!) If you bought every book on the required list, at these prices, you would still come in WELL under the amount the school budgets you for books.

That's about it for now...

:D Happy Summer! :D

as for american canyon... we have several students living there.

I haven't seen the stats, but i would be EXTREMELY careful about knowing whether the crime stats were for Napa COUNTY or for AC specifically. There are many parts of Napa that are REALLLLLLLLLY nice, and could EASILY skew the stats to make AC look better than what it is. I don't have the answer either way, I'm just saying be careful where your stats come from.

The prices listed by DrofO made me cringe!! 1350 for a one bedroom?!?!?! Unless you've got money coming in from other sources, that's REALLLLLLLY high. (at least, if you're planning on living there by yourself). I don't personally know of people paying that much, who are living on loans. Even without a car payment, i'm kind of stretching things to live by myself and pay 800. Of course... i budgeted my money and don't have to work this summer, so it all depends!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenalicious said:
Hi all,

I'm just introducing myself as well. I'm kinda new to this whole SDN thing... but I was wondering if anyone knows how late we can safely look for housing? I'm going to be out of the country... going to spain and italy for 10 days, so I wont be back until mid-june. Also, my good friend is waitlisted and I'm hoping I can live with her, but I'm waiting to see if she gets in, which I won't really know until I get back, at which point she will be in Africa until the begining of july... so if anyone knows, how hard is it to find housing last minute?

Thanks a bunch! :luck: :D

Yo Green,

It can totally be done last minute. I didn't have a place to live when I showed up for orientation. And my friend E. didn't either. It can totally be done. You're not going to have any tests for many weeks after school starts, so the first 2 weeks you'll have plenty of time for looking. Unless you have a need to have everything worked out months in advance, or have kids - there's no reason you have to do it now.

Bryan

Book Sale.

Ditto on Cover Me's message about the book sale. It's a good chance to save some cash.

One point to consider. Different people have different ideas about what's the "bare minimum" in terms of books.

Consider that a lot of the books you will use in a very limited way, or not at all. And that the library has ALL of them. If you think, "but I like to have my own books" consider that you will continue to get lists from professors of "required" and/or "suggested" books all year. You simply cannot buy them all. The books on the school list are only the beginning. EXCERCISE RESTRAINT.

Having said that - here's my BARE minimum list.

Anatomy
Moore's COA (Clinically oriented anatomy)
Don't buy Netter's - you're going to get one for free.

Neuro
Blumenfeld - Neuroanatomy
"The Brain Atlas." (Good atlas.)

Histology
Gartner's Atlas (NOT THE TEXTBOOK)

Public Health
Aschengrau's Essentials of Epidemiology

PD

Mosby's PD

Non-essentials. But books that I'm glad I have. Repeat - NON-Essential

Haines' Neuroanatomy Atlas (Yes, I have 2 neuro atlases.)
Neuro - Nolte (He's got a cool take on stuff.)
Biochem - Baynes (I like Baynes. Lippincott's Biochem sucks for me, but everyone else LOVES it.)
Guyton and Hall - I use it every block. Great book. Highly recommend.
I didn't buy a Grants dissector. I didn't buy a photographic anatomy atlas (Rohen.) I would just check out out occasionally (very occasionally - like once.)
I never bought the Kimberly Manual for OMM. But it probably would have been helpful. I'll probably buy it next year.
The "OMT Board Review" book is really good. I don't think you can buy it online. Someone was selling them in the first month of school.
I did buy DiGiovanna's Osteopathic Approach to D&T. Somewhat helpful at times.

Disclaimer - There are so many really great books out there. Some of the board review books are really great on a particular topic. You'll figure out what resources work FOR YOU as things go along. Don't stress about it now.

Also - I didn't buy a single peice of equipment, other than a stethoscope. (Which I regret buying.) I didn't have any problem. The two times I needed one I borrowed them from my big sib. People are so anxious about "having everything" they go out and spend 1000 dollars on an ophthalmoscope. If this makes you happy, then go ahead and do it. Otherwise, wait. Now that I know what's available, I can buy the equipment I want without getting taken for a ride on the price.

Later,

Bryan

CoverMe said:
as for american canyon... we have several students living there.

I haven't seen the stats, but i would be EXTREMELY careful about knowing whether the crime stats were for Napa COUNTY or for AC specifically. There are many parts of Napa that are REALLLLLLLLLY nice, and could EASILY skew the stats to make AC look better than what it is. I don't have the answer either way, I'm just saying be careful where your stats come from.

The prices listed by DrofO made me cringe!! 1350 for a one bedroom?!?!?! Unless you've got money coming in from other sources, that's REALLLLLLLY high. (at least, if you're planning on living there by yourself). I don't personally know of people paying that much, who are living on loans. Even without a car payment, i'm kind of stretching things to live by myself and pay 800. Of course... i budgeted my money and don't have to work this summer, so it all depends!!!!!!!!!!!

The stats came from a local version of a national real estate listing website called Zip Reality that my realtor sister-in-law referred to me ...I was doing some extensive searches to buy before I realized there was no way I could afford to. I can't say exactly where the data came from, but the crime rate data is divided by neighborhoods...it changes (and improves) as you go north in Napa county...
so, you could be right...it could be completely bogus...but you know the areas really well and there are very few places in Vallejo that a single woman can feel "comfortable" living by herself. Here is the web site with the neighborhood data...
http://www.ziprealty.com/buy_a_home...R&mls=mls_ca_ba&cKey=6f14442b&source=CABAREIS

You're right about the prices of the apartments I just posted them because some were considering apartments for almost the same price in areas of Vallejo that are questionable. I ended up renting a house, which I think is the way to go if you can live with roommates.

From the silence of this thread... ME THINKEST THE LISTSERVE ART UP AND RUNNING!! :D :D :D :D

The wierd thing is... even though you get ten billion emails, and you think "this will quiet down soon." It kind of doesn't. It goes all year!

Happy listserving!!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. We're trying to keep the listserv a secret ;)

CoverMe said:
From the silence of this thread... ME THINKEST THE LISTSERVE ART UP AND RUNNING!! :D :D :D :D

The wierd thing is... even though you get ten billion emails, and you think "this will quiet down soon." It kind of doesn't. It goes all year!

Happy listserving!!

Hey,

I'm still working on my PhD, I would be done with my experiments but my boss and I are trying to get 'clean' data for a paper we can write later. Normally, one would have 3-4months to write it...I have 3-4 more wks (yes, I've already started).

I also need to finish rehabing my house after Katrina and rent it out....not as important as the PhD, but almost.

I have a mediation with my homeowner's insurance company next thursday...they tried to only give me 7 thousand for my loss....I complained and got another 14,000.

Little to they understand that my dad is a 71yr old insurance lawyer, in a family of lawyers...and that not only would it be entirely free for me to sue them, but my family has public adjuster friends. (Larry's reviewing the itemized adjustment I did, my parents are his kids godparents).

And I used to work at a public adjuster's office...where my sister worked until she went to law school.

They've paid me: 21,000
Owe me:141,000 more

Don't feel bad for me, feel bad for pretty much everyone else in the Gulf Coast that is getting screwed by the insurance industry!

So no, not quite ready to get into the med school mindset.

My goal/dream is to get to california a week before orientation and have time to settle in and chill!

I'll tell you guys all about my saga over a few bottles of Napa wine when I finally get out there.

Window into my life!

sarah;-)

I already contacted Tom about this proposition, and I plan to post a message on our listserve soon, but I am looking to buy a house, condo, etc. to accomodate the furniture I have. If you are interested in being a roommate and paying part of the mortgage payment, let me know. I have a full living room set, dining table, home gym and many kitchen appliances...so it would be ideal for me to find a roommate(s) that do not have such items already...other than their bedroom stuff. I will be in the Bay area by next week, and I will probably start searching for houses in the Benicia area...hit me up...lata!

billytoanle said:
Yeah, you guys have a point about the cons of dorming.
Looks like off campus is a good idea. Hopefully I can find one or two guys to share a place with. If any of you guys interested maybe we can start looking for a good place together. I live in southern California, Orange County. So it'd be nice to drive up there before school starts and check out some prospective places.

Aim me up at: BillyLe

-Billy

PhDtoDO said:
I'll tell you guys all about my saga over a few bottles of Napa wine when I finally get out there.
sarah;-)

Well, I have been ready for med school for most of my life! (I just didn't have the guts to do it years ago) so I would start next week if they said so! :)
I was thinking a barbeque with a few selections (like a 2 or 3 cases!) of Napa wine would be a great pre-orientation party (or during orientation party...or both) to get to know our fellow classmates, plus it is a great opportunity to educate those who aren't from the area about the wonderful wines available just a few miles north! (any reason to have a party...but for educational purposes sounds more justified! :D )
I will post more when my roommates and I decide on a date to have this get together.
Not to freak you out Sarah....but only 67 more days til school starts! Yahoo!!!
Tamara

Yeh,

My friends call me a cheap wino...oh wait, that's what I call myself! If you wouldn't pay 100$ for a case of beer, why would you pay 100$ for a bottle of wine? Unless you have money to burn, and I'd rather buy realestate, personal preference.

I tend to think I'm at my best when I'm spinning as many plates as possible, but I'm breaking my own record these days. It's all good.

I'm stoked about the wine thing, but honestly I just bought a new health book about keeping your liver healthy. I think New Orleans totally tox-ed my liver out. Somewhere between my PhD and Katrina, my metabolism went nuts. I feel like a marathon runner (true) in a donut cop body (ew).

So I'm all on for a winey orientation, but then its all scrubs, gross anatomy and detox for me!

Apparently even the air is bad down here,

Chao for now,

Sarah;-)

mj1878 said:
Hey all! I'm thrilled to be attending this school. Who else is out there? We should organize a pre-orientation week get-together or something, shouldn't we? Especially for those of us that aren't native to California(myself included). Congratulations to everyone.

What struck you most positively about the interview/tour/school? Why did we pick it?

:D

Hi-
I just joined SDN today so I realize I'm replying to a question you asked months ago. My main reason in picking Touro is I have a personal relationship with several great doctors who went to Touro. I think that speaks very well of the school. The doctors I know that have graduated from Touro are very knowledgable and caring. There are doctors from Touro in the surgical, IM and FP residencies at the hospital I currently work at. I feel good about my decision and I can't wait til classes start!

mj1878 said:
Scorpio,

Here is the link.

It's from the www.tumi.edu website, then "current students", then "bookstore". There's also some stuff on the website like Mare Island Student Life, found here.

I don't know about you guys but I think I'm going to hold off on buying instruments and even some books until classes start. I highly doubt we'll need any of the instruments right away and I like to get a feel for if we will actually be using the assigned text books and/or if they will be good references before I shell out the mula. What are your thoughts everyone?

Consider that a lot of the books you will use in a very limited way, or not at all. And that the library has ALL of them. If you think, "but I like to have my own books" consider that you will continue to get lists from professors of "required" and/or "suggested" books all year. You simply cannot buy them all. The books on the school list are only the beginning. EXCERCISE RESTRAINT.

hey bryan-
thanks for the book list. it's quite helpful and it also confirmed my suspicion that we don't need instruments right away.

Glad to help Jojodo. :)

Tip of the day: If you're overwhlemed by the number of emails you're receiving from the listserv (if you're not now you will be soon) you can have them delivered in a daily "digest." All the emails of the day get sent to you as one email, with a table of contents first so you can skim over the subject headings.

You can change you're preferences for the listserv via this link: http://ca.mail.tu.edu/mailman/listinfo/tucacom2009

Also, if you want to get a rough idea of what your schedule will be like, you can check out last year's first year schedule. THE DATES WILL OBVIOUSLY SHIFT SLIGHTLY from year to year! Also, there may be other significant changes. But it will give you a fairly good idea of what you'll life will be like if you choose to go to class. (Something I don't recommend of course.) :)

hi fellow touronians! is that cool? touronians? okay, maybe not. i had a few questions regarding the international opportunities through TUCOM. does anyone have the details on the ethiopia trip? is that part of an elective class? do you all know of any other countries that TUCOM is planning to set something up with? also, is it clinical or researchy? lastly, are there going to be any clinical opportunities during the first two years besides pregnancy partners?
peace and love, fuzziefoo :)

All I know is that Dr. Haight said there is a limit of two internationals.

I plan on making one to Barbardos though because I have a HIV Doc friend whose there. I'd also like to go to Haiti. But you can also do one during your free time assuming you get your interviews etc out of the way during your 4th year.

I don't know how strict that 2 limit is.

-PhDtoDO

jojodo79 said:
Hi-
I just joined SDN today so I realize I'm replying to a question you asked months ago. My main reason in picking Touro is I have a personal relationship with several great doctors who went to Touro. I think that speaks very well of the school. The doctors I know that have graduated from Touro are very knowledgable and caring. There are doctors from Touro in the surgical, IM and FP residencies at the hospital I currently work at. I feel good about my decision and I can't wait til classes start!
Hi Jojodo,
Welcome to the thread....it is nice to know Touro has a great reputation out in Colorado too! (I thought that it was a well-kept California secret! :) )
Only 62 more days to go! Yahoo!
Tamara

PhDtoDO said:
All I know is that Dr. Haight said there is a limit of two internationals.

I plan on making one to Barbardos though because I have a HIV Doc friend whose there. I'd also like to go to Haiti. But you can also do one during your free time assuming you get your interviews etc out of the way during your 4th year.

I don't know how strict that 2 limit is.

-PhDtoDO

wow...i wasn't aware of the 2 international opp. limit. that's crappy. thanks a bunch for the info!

as an aside, if anyone is looking for a fun, loveable roomie that is clean, easy-going, studious, yet slightly ocd, pm me. maybe around test time, i won't be so fun and loveable, but let's look at the general picture. i didn't realize finding a roomie or a place to live out there would be difficult, but it kinda is. ;)

fuzziefoo said:
wow...i wasn't aware of the 2 international opp. limit. that's crappy. thanks a bunch for the info!

as an aside, if anyone is looking for a fun, loveable roomie that is clean, easy-going, studious, yet slightly ocd, pm me. maybe around test time, i won't be so fun and loveable, but let's look at the general picture. i didn't realize finding a roomie or a place to live out there would be difficult, but it kinda is. ;)

Hey fuzziefoo,
I just realized that you made your decision to come to Touro over waiting for Western? Am I assuming correctly?
Also, what does the "slightly" mean before the ocd? Are there degrees of the disorder? :D And if there is...to what degree are you?
Inquiring minds want to know....
Only 61 days to go!

DRofO said:
Hey fuzziefoo,
I just realized that you made your decision to come to Touro over waiting for Western? Am I assuming correctly?
Also, what does the "slightly" mean before the ocd? Are there degrees of the disorder? :D And if there is...to what degree are you?
Inquiring minds want to know....
Only 61 days to go!

Hey DRofO,
Yeah, I decided Touro may be better well suited for my needs. By the way, I am as ocd as the next premed. j/k. I just like to keep things in tact, that's all. I'm not a crazy person or anything! If anyone is really ocd, I sincerely apologize...you guys aren't that crazy.
peace and love, fuzziefoo :p

me2vn said:
We WIN?! Awesome...we're worth it :cool:

Check out the USUHS losers sitting at $0

sweeeeeet.... $180,000 in debt..... its funny though.. if you check out the cost of attendance vs. the other private medical schools across the country we are the 40th down on the list.... not too bad...