***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I don't know a lot about student loans so I'm hoping that some of you guys could help me out. I was wondering if you guys know which company offers the best interest rate. Also, is it better to take Stafford loans or private loans. I was just reading that the interest rate for Stafford loans is increasing to 6.8% next year from 4.7%. That's a huge jump. Are private loans cheaper than that? Also, do most students end up taking the entire estimated cost as a loan? I'm getting scared thinking about the amount of money I'll (i guess everyone) will owe once we graduate :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

You should always, always take the maximum of what's available to you from Stafford. It will be the lowest rate available to you, mostly because the federal government is taking on the responsibility of guaranteeing your payback + paying for deferred interest. Most important of all, any interest payments will be deferred until after you've graduated.

Private loans, even those within the certified TUCOM budget amount, will be at *least* 1%-2% higher. I listed rates for your options at my blog below.

Does any know whether we have to pay the full tuition at once at the beginning of the year or is it by semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
ScOrPiO2983 said:
Does any know whether we have to pay the full tuition at once at the beginning of the year or is it by semester?
It's by semester. You get your financial aid disbursement twice a year, before the start of each semester. The finaid office automatically deducts your tuition from this funding.

It is funny this subject came up, I was sitting in a juice bar today and on the table was a set of Feng Shui cards giving recommendations for setting up every room in the house, I actually pulled out a pen and took some notes to use when I set up my home in July. I have always studied at home, after my daughter goes to bed so I want to make a study friendly house. (I don't have the option to up and leave to go to the library!) Some tips from Feng Shui...
1) Home office (study room): have as much natural light as possible and if natural light isn't available have good overhead lights and directed light. (I personally suggest the full spectrum light bulbs, because there is less glare on the textbook pages) Add some bright colors to liven the room, also post inspirational pictures, or sayings to stay motivated to work. If there can't be a separate study room from another area (like bedroom or family room) use a screen or room divider to separate the areas.
I also like using a kitchen timer to make sure I do take some breaks...usually 5 minutes every 60 or 90 minutes (depends what I am studying). The brain needs a break every once and a while.
2) Make sure the bedroom is free of distractions, if possible don't do work in the bedroom; keep it calm with soft colors and no TV. If the bedroom stays "sacred for sleep" then the sleep you do get (no matter how little of it) will be better.
Just my thoughts…
TT :)

Thanks for the Great tips!

Im definetly one that likes to study at home, and totally agree that it is important to set up your study place properly!

DRofO said:
It is funny this subject came up, I was sitting in a juice bar today and on the table was a set of Feng Shui cards giving recommendations for setting up every room in the house, I actually pulled out a pen and took some notes to use when I set up my home in July. I have always studied at home, after my daughter goes to bed so I want to make a study friendly house. (I don't have the option to up and leave to go to the library!) Some tips from Feng Shui...
1) Home office (study room): have as much natural light as possible and if natural light isn't available have good overhead lights and directed light. (I personally suggest the full spectrum light bulbs, because there is less glare on the textbook pages) Add some bright colors to liven the room, also post inspirational pictures, or sayings to stay motivated to work. If there can't be a separate study room from another area (like bedroom or family room) use a screen or room divider to separate the areas.
I also like using a kitchen timer to make sure I do take some breaks...usually 5 minutes every 60 or 90 minutes (depends what I am studying). The brain needs a break every once and a while.
2) Make sure the bedroom is free of distractions, if possible don't do work in the bedroom; keep it calm with soft colors and no TV. If the bedroom stays "sacred for sleep" then the sleep you do get (no matter how little of it) will be better.
Just my thoughts…

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

Hello everyone, I am not officially a member of your class yet, but I am hoping that will change soon! I was put on the high waitlist back in January so I hope there is still a chance. I have been accepted at a few other schools but I just fell in love with TUCOM-MI when I went out there for the interview. I just wanted to say hello and that I hope to see you all in a few months!

Good luck Lisa!

There is likely a few turnovers in spots on the 15th. Haight said that the turnover has been b/w 0 and 15 in the past 3 years if I recall correctly.

-s

Lisa3158 said:
Hello everyone, I am not officially a member of your class yet, but I am hoping that will change soon! I was put on the high waitlist back in January so I hope there is still a chance. I have been accepted at a few other schools but I just fell in love with TUCOM-MI when I went out there for the interview. I just wanted to say hello and that I hope to see you all in a few months!

Welcome Lisa!
Hope all works out for you... keep us informed so we can celebrate with you when you find out! :clap:

Hello all,

My wife and I did some apartment hunting this last weekend and basically confirmed the information which has already been circulated on this thread. Our two current favorites include Blue Rock in Vallejo and Club Pacifica in Benicia. Blue Rock has much more space for a lower rent, but Club Pacifica has the better location. The area that Blue Rock is located in appears to be a very nice portion of Vallejo, but I have heard from a member of the Pharm School at Touro that this area is still not as safe and quiet as Benicia. Despite this, Blue Rock is our favorite of the two due to the price range and extra space.
Here are the price ranges for these two complexes:

Blue Rock
Prices vary by location in the complex, 1st or 2nd floor, and presence or absence of a fireplace.
1 bed, 1 bath (643 and 741 sq ft) - $880-$1015
2 bed, 2 bath (998 and 1034 sq ft) - $1195-$1310
$150/cat deposit + $10 added to the rent for each cat

Club Pacifica
1 bed, 1 bath (716 sq ft) - $1120-$1295
2 bed, 1 bath (882 sq ft) - $1245-$1420
2 bed, 2 bath (968 sq ft) - $1265-$1490
$300 cat deposit (2 cat max)
Water/sewer/garbage are paid and they are now providing washer/dryer units in the 1 bed, 1bath apartments.

In addition to apartments, we have also been looking at many different private condos and townhouses. The private listings we have targeted have all been in Benicia. Surprisingly, many of the listings are more affordable than the apartments with the same services and amount of space.

Hope this is helpful

Hey,

I've posted before and have an application in at Sterling Heights in Benicia. I don't have time to go out and apt hunt because of my PhD and rebuilding my house in New Orleans. So I spoke with tons of other new and present Touro students. I have the added problem of having a 40lb dog and two cats.

Here's a general summary of what I found.

Students live all over, but it seems that many prefer Benicia over Vallejo despite an added 5 min commute. Students from the Bay Area tend to not mind commuting to live in an area they prefer. It seems that Benicia is slightly more expensive, but one can find apts there that are reasonable. Everyone says that there is plenty of housing in the entire area so don't worry. Anywhere in benicia is fine, vallejo has some nice areas, and some not so nice areas, if you don't know the difference, call the school etc or talk to someone who does.

So I decided to live in Benicia at least for the first year until I get a feel for the area. I'd love a small backyard, but need a 'sure thing.' Also, a complex, although more expensive, includes a gym, pool, jacuzzi (my personal favorite) and even free movie rentals at st hts.

It came down to Sundance in vallejo and Sterling Hts in benicia. I decided on Sterling Hts because its a mile (walkable) from the water and that mile is downtown Benicia. Sterling Hts only has 120 units unlike Sundance which has almost 400 (if you live in the middle it might be hard to 'walk' to places

Sterling Hts
A one bedroom is 1120-1165fireplace or no/washerdryer or no (862 sq ft)...a one bedroom here is the same size and price as a 2 bdrm at Sundance

This is expensive, but I want to live alone and I might decide to find something with a yard that's cheaper for next year, but no necessarily.

There's an extra deposit for pets of course and a 25$ monthly fee....for all your pets together (same if 1 or 5 pets)

The way I see it, the difference b/w 950 and 1150 is 2400 a year. Although we'll all be on a budget, because (at least for now) I want to live alone, this is worth it. Over 4 yrs thats another 10,000....200,000 vs 210,000

A drop in the bucket overall for a great deal of comfort over 4 hardworking years.

I know I'm swayed by the way I've been living for the past year...evacuated to family for 2 months, my house without hot water and severely damaged...to the luxury of a 400sqft dorm room across from my lab...without my pets.

A also found a DOG PARK in benicia but its out-there in a corner of one of the parks on the interior. Email me if you want the info, but at some pt I'm planning on a dog park Touro gathering for 1st yrs and everyone else.

I good way to find dog sitters etc. Dog people love dog people and don't get me wrong, I'm a cat person too, but its a part of my social network in NOLA...parents of my dog's friends.

Boy that's a mouth full! I guess I'm avoiding going into the lab!

Chao for now,

sarah;-)

PhDtoDO said:
A also found a DOG PARK in benicia but its out-there in a corner of one of the parks on the interior. Email me if you want the info, but at some pt I'm planning on a dog park Touro gathering for 1st yrs and everyone else.
A good way to find dog sitters etc. Dog people love dog people and don't get me wrong, I'm a cat person too, but its a part of my social network in NOLA...parents of my dog's friends.
sarah;-)

I totally agree...my pomeranian, miniture pincher and I would love to come play at the dog park (your dog won't eat mine will it? :) )
Tamara

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it can be frustrating to be searching for a place to live because many are so far away...thank goodness for the net! Like Sarah said, Touro students live all over and because I have been to Vallejo many times the main rule for looking for a place in Vallejo is stay north of Tennessee Ave. Also east of 80 is better too (which almost puts you in Benecia anyway) Another area I don't see mentioned too often is American Canyon, it is only 12-15 minutes from campus but I think it gets passed over because it is in Napa county. Napa is only another 15 minutes from American Canyon. Wine tasting on weekends everybody! :)
When I was searching for houses I found a few on Craigs list. Since the bay area is the home of Craigs list...there are some great listings there.
I know of a place...3 bedroom house completely furnished (if desired) for $1700 a month and they would allow pets, I ended up signing a lease on a larger house instead so I could have more roomates (I am still looking for one more at $525 a month) but if you want details about that house I can send them along.
Otherwise check out Craigs list
http://www.craigslist.com

Good luck everyone!
Tamara

Hey you guys... your book lists will be coming out fairly soon, and I wanted to do a preemptive strike on "what not to buy"... esp for anatomy lab. (this is mostly from personal angst, having spent money on the wrong things last year!!)

The "required" lists sometimes include dissection kits etc... do NOT buy dissection kits. Mr. Silverman has many many sets (we all donate them back to the school at the end of the year) and he cleans them up and sells them for $5 apiece at the beginning of the year. there are a bazillion sets, plenty to go around. He uses the money as some sort of fundraiser for lab stuff. If you need more blades during the year, they'll give you as many as you want for free.

The list last year required nitrile gloves... which can be pricey, irritating, or both. I spent about twice as much on two boxes of nitrile gloves... only to find that not only did most of the other students not buy nitrile, even the lab instructors were using latex. If you have an allergy, then obviously, do what you have to do. "kirkland" Latex gloves are available at costco. Buy a couple of boxes and be ready to share. The less money you pay, the more happy you'll be to be sharing with everyone around you who forgot theirs. Don't worry, pretty soon it'll be their turn to share with you. It all works out.

"lab copies" of Netters and Grants are hanging around lab. You may buy or get a copy from mr. silverman. I don't remember if we bought ours, but if we did, it was at an extremely discounted price. Lab copies are STRICTLY lab copies... truly foul and covered in grease... you wear gloves to turn the page, you'll also have a "home" copy which is entirely different.

We got a free copy of Netter's at the beginning of the year (new, in the plastic, not a lab copy!!!). Don't buy a netters (you'll prob get it free too) buy a Rohen's.

Blue scrubs... i would go to costco for these. that's the cheapest. ANY shade of blue will do... light, dark, teal, baby, just make it blue. Or not. One guy had black scrubs the entire year. Most of us had some sort of blue. They tell you that you can't have a laundry mark from some other hospital on your scrubs (this is to discourage scrub theft, i suppose??). Again, I saw some that had laundry marks.

Some club did a fundraiser and sold scrubs that had a little cheesy logo on the breast... not the official touro logo, but something else. anyway, I would save my money and go to costco. two pairs were plenty... if I'd had my own washer/dryer, i could have gotten by with one pair.

Buy yourself some new sneakers and donate your old ones to "the cause" and let them be your lab sneaks. If you want clogs, buy yourself some of the $10 cheapies they have at allheart.com... get the ones with the vents tho, your feet will sweat in those rubber shoes!!

Finally, wait until you get your lab groups to buy dissection kits, and lab copies of books. That way you end up with just the right amount of tools and books, and everyone can chip in.

Of course, all of this comes with the caveat that this information applied to us THIS year, and I have no idea if they've since changed anything. I don't believe anything has changed, and this information is still accurate to the best of my knowledge!!

Best of luck!!
Christine

Fellow classmates,

I have a CD full of helpful study material (1.85 GB so far). I have been collecting course study aids and old exams. This will be made available to the entire class...still get a big sib they will help you navigate the crazy first year. See you all in the fall and PM me if you have a specific question :confused:

Old Man

CoverMe said:
Hey you guys... your book lists will be coming out fairly soon, and I wanted to do a preemptive strike on "what not to buy"... esp for anatomy lab. (this is mostly from personal angst, having spent money on the wrong things last year!!)

The "required" lists sometimes include dissection kits etc... do NOT buy dissection kits. Mr. Silverman has many many sets (we all donate them back to the school at the end of the year) and he cleans them up and sells them for $5 apiece at the beginning of the year. there are a bazillion sets, plenty to go around. He uses the money as some sort of fundraiser for lab stuff. If you need more blades during the year, they'll give you as many as you want for free.

The list last year required nitrile gloves... which can be pricey, irritating, or both. I spent about twice as much on two boxes of nitrile gloves... only to find that not only did most of the other students not buy nitrile, even the lab instructors were using latex. If you have an allergy, then obviously, do what you have to do. "kirkland" Latex gloves are available at costco. Buy a couple of boxes and be ready to share. The less money you pay, the more happy you'll be to be sharing with everyone around you who forgot theirs. Don't worry, pretty soon it'll be their turn to share with you. It all works out.

"lab copies" of Netters and Grants are hanging around lab. You may buy or get a copy from mr. silverman. I don't remember if we bought ours, but if we did, it was at an extremely discounted price. Lab copies are STRICTLY lab copies... truly foul and covered in grease... you wear gloves to turn the page, you'll also have a "home" copy which is entirely different.

We got a free copy of Netter's at the beginning of the year (new, in the plastic, not a lab copy!!!). Don't buy a netters (you'll prob get it free too) buy a Rohen's.

Blue scrubs... i would go to costco for these. that's the cheapest. ANY shade of blue will do... light, dark, teal, baby, just make it blue. Or not. One guy had black scrubs the entire year. Most of us had some sort of blue. They tell you that you can't have a laundry mark from some other hospital on your scrubs (this is to discourage scrub theft, i suppose??). Again, I saw some that had laundry marks.

Some club did a fundraiser and sold scrubs that had a little cheesy logo on the breast... not the official touro logo, but something else. anyway, I would save my money and go to costco. two pairs were plenty... if I'd had my own washer/dryer, i could have gotten by with one pair.

Buy yourself some new sneakers and donate your old ones to "the cause" and let them be your lab sneaks. If you want clogs, buy yourself some of the $10 cheapies they have at allheart.com... get the ones with the vents tho, your feet will sweat in those rubber shoes!!

Finally, wait until you get your lab groups to buy dissection kits, and lab copies of books. That way you end up with just the right amount of tools and books, and everyone can chip in.

Of course, all of this comes with the caveat that this information applied to us THIS year, and I have no idea if they've since changed anything. I don't believe anything has changed, and this information is still accurate to the best of my knowledge!!

Best of luck!!
Christine

Thank you very much for that! It really helps me resist the temptation to buy everything now!

BluesClues32 said:
Thank you very much for that! It really helps me resist the temptation to buy everything now!

Hey... if you're rollin in dough, go for it!! One of my classmates has everything paid by her family, so she bought every book, brand new. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Half.com or the other used book sellers are a good place to look, but there's a book sale going on, with a bunch of us getting rid of books, and you can pay for and pick them up at the beginning of the year. You'll get emails about it if you haven't already. it's still being organized.

save your money, make a plan. unless you know for sure that you're going to be employed next summer, think about making your august dispersement last 6 mos. and your Jan dispursement lasting from feb till the end of july. it isn't much money, and students unused to tight budgets are struggling this time of year, and have a lot of pressure to get summer jobs.

get those credit cards paid off... ditch the bitchin ride for a paid-off civic (car payments are also hurting the students who don't have family contributions and rich dead uncles etc). A lot of kids are having a hard time with their finances, and the temptation to spend money on fun excursions etc is strong. Try to minimize enough to give yourself a little financial freedom to enjoy the opportunites the bay area provides.

best of luck!

hello everyone! i have a slight dilemma. i've been accepted to tucom-mi and have paid the $3000.00 to hold my spot. i'm also on the alternate list at comp. for superficial reasons and the system-based curriculum, i would like to attend comp. but is it really worth the extra $2000.00 if accepted? ideally, i want to stay in the bay area for residency in IM and would like to do well on the boards. does tucom-mi have a better pass rate compared to comp? also, i've lived in the bay my entire life and was hoping for a change of scenery for a couple of years, but i could always go down to l.a. for my fourth year. should i forfeit my alternate status at comp so that someone else can have the opportunity to attend? i need help convincing myself that going to tucom-mi will be better for me. i'm really confused and would appreciate any advice. thanks friends. :confused:

Hmm, you should probably post the same question on the COMP side... :)

On the board pass rates, TUCOM-MI seems to be up on the upswing, having its best performance yet (several points above the national mean) in recent years. Hopefully they'll keep the streak going this year!

With COMP, their was some talk that their pass rate was very suspect 3-4 years ago... search on SDN, you'll find plenty of threads about it. (It was a very melodramatic couple of years for COMP, complete with accusations of embezzlement, ~80% pass rate, popular professors being forced out, and suicide(!))

Even last year, I heard COMP only gave their second years 3 weeks to study for the boards... again leading to a sub-par pass rate. But by all indications, they're trying to improve. They're trying to teach "to the boards" more, and they're giving more time (5 weeks?) for studying this year.

As far as residencies go, if you're interested in the Bay Area in particular... (EDIT: below numbers are for class of 2006)

COMP - out of ~107, placed 7 within 1 hour drive of SF (2 at SCVMC, 1 at Contra Costa County, 1 at Travis, 1 in Santa Rosa, 1 in Modesto, 1 in Davis).

TUCOM - out of ~80, placed 17 within 1 hour drive of SF (3 at Alameda/Highlands, 4 at Kaiser Oakland, 4 at Methodist in Sacramento, 1 at SCVMC, 3 in Stockton, 1 in Santa Rosa, 1 at St. Mary's SF).

thanks heech...i took your advice and posted it at the comp site too. thanks a bunch...i'm leaning towards tucom-mi thanks to you. :)

I don't have the same detail info and I don't know much about COMP, but my impression of TUCOM is the same, definitely getting stronger every year.

Not only do many students want to stay in California/Bay Area, but the number of applications at TUCOM has skyrocketed and is growing by double digit percentages in the application pool every year. That and a strong foundation of Touro should mean that the competititiveness and the quality of an unusually young med school will continue to grow....I think of it like buying realestate before the market jumps. I'm getting in while I still can so to speak.

I also got into Western (for me it was Western and TUCOM-MI). Western does have somewhat better matches, and I loved it. But, I feel a lot of its added strength is the fact that some of the graduates of Western have come back to teach there and have spread the reputation for the new students. Considering the age of Touro-MI, its doing remarkably well and will continue to improve. I have no doubts personally.

I do hear you about wanting a change; I've lived all over. But, it sounds like the choice for you will be more personal. Both can offer you great matches. For me it was about where I would be most happy because I was sure that both schools were great. I have friends and family in the Bay Area, have never lived there and don't want to live in LA (or outside of it). Besides, I can go anywhere for my residency.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Touro. Don't feel too bad about holding the alternate at COMP, its not like you're holding a spot or that you're drawing this out on purpose.

Good Luck

sarah;-)

thanks for the advice...yeah, i feel this is going to be a difficult choice if i get accepted to comp...but as the french say, c'est la vie. so far, it's tucom-mi all the way. :)

bnoosha said:
ya my current car is a 98 mercedes...and its giving me problems...

this is why i wanted to get a new car under warranty so i wont have to worry about car problems while im in school...
im gonna contact fin aid and see what they say.

thanks everyone for the input!

Hey bnoosha, did u contact fin. aid to see what they had to say about you possibly taking out more $ for a car payment? I have a few questions maybe you and/or anyone else can answer regarding the loan process. I will be taking out max in fed. stafford and obviously searching for alternative loans...w/ that said, is the max that we can take out with stafford + all non-trad alternative loans = to the 'cost of attendance' (COA) set my Touro? In otherwords, can you or I, theoretically, take out as much $ (in alternative loans) as you want? In your situation bnoosha, if you got a brand new vehicle, will the COA be enough to cover living + car payment? This is where I am confused - I am currently under the impression that all loans, stafford or alternative, etc, are distributed through Touro. I hope you can understand my questions, sorry if they aren't clear....any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

doubleplay,

I've been educating myself a lot about the loan options, and I've tried to cover some of the details on my blog.

The term "alternative loan" can be misleading. Basically, there's two classes of possible "alternative" loans beyond the obvious Stafford loans. The first class are the loans (PLUS, MEDLOAN Alternative) which can supplement Stafford, but only can take you all the way up to the "cost of attendence" budget set by financial aid ($61k for class of 2010, I think?).

But if you need more than that, you'll need to look into the "private" loans. There's a list on my blog. These are typically credit-dependent, which means possibly requiring a cosigner if your credit is poor. You still get to defer payment until residency, but the interest rates are quite a bit higher.

Dude, I'm so jealous. I miss all of you guys and can't wait to go back home!!! San Francisco is close enough to home versus Virginia.

If you see them again, let them know that I'm thinking of them all the time. Katie is something else! She is not yet 2, but knows her ABCs, can count to 15 without prompting, knows weird animals, and will start singing songs. Thanks for the heads up on Tiffany's B-day. I will send her a card!

:D

KendoDO said:
hey Lisa! I ate with your mom and dad tonight for Tiffany Chen's birthday. They say "hi" ;)

Hey Doubleplay

So i contacted financial aid and asket about the car situation.

They said that they will not increase the COA for car payments. They said that they will adjust the cost of attendance only for 1) heatlh insurance (need to show proof that payment is higher than what was estimated) and 2) if there is an unexpected car expense that would be a financial burden (may transmission problems or something).

Other than that the 59K that they estimated as the cost of living is the max we can take out. THat means that we will be taking out 38,500 in stafford loans, and the remaining amount is the MAX we can take out as an alternative loan. and yes this is distributed to touro, and then to us after the tution fees have been applied.
as heech said there are additional private loans that you can take out (and im pretty sure this wouldnt be through touro...but the interest is higher...i havent really reserached it much...cuz im tyring to not have to resort to that).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also heech, i did glance over you blog...i need to read it more in detail(it seems really helpful)...but off the top of your head...what do you think seems like the best lender to get my alternative loans through??? (my credit rating was over 700)...

Thanks so much

Bana

doubleplay said:
Hey bnoosha, did u contact fin. aid to see what they had to say about you possibly taking out more $ for a car payment? I have a few questions maybe you and/or anyone else can answer regarding the loan process. I will be taking out max in fed. stafford and obviously searching for alternative loans...w/ that said, is the max that we can take out with stafford + all non-trad alternative loans = to the 'cost of attendance' (COA) set my Touro? In otherwords, can you or I, theoretically, take out as much $ (in alternative loans) as you want? In your situation bnoosha, if you got a brand new vehicle, will the COA be enough to cover living + car payment? This is where I am confused - I am currently under the impression that all loans, stafford or alternative, etc, are distributed through Touro. I hope you can understand my questions, sorry if they aren't clear....any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

okay guys its may 15th...

when do u think the list serv is gonna be set up....im getting antsy...

That's actually a great idea! Thanks for the input. Reminds me of when I took the MCAT. I studied when my daughter was asleep.

I know that people are getting nervous about school. To give a little perspective, my friends who are graduating from USUHS (Military Medical School in Bethesda, MD) this weekend stated that there were many people who have wives and young kids. They were able to get ample study time and still were able to devote time to their loved ones. They woke up early, took kids to daycare, hit the books till check-in at 8 am. Hit the books hard until they picked up their kids from daycare at 6-6:30. Had dinner, washed kids, read bedstories, and started studying again at 8 PM. Its do-able 9 to 5!

DRofO said:
Just my thoughts…

Jeebus cripes 18 pages of posts takes a long time to read...

Thanks for the info on everything, everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like he's in the dark with only a few months to go.

A question for people who have checked out areas to live: how's the area around that Walmart there at highway 37 & that other highway (uh...29?). I'm not sure but I don't think it falls under any of the "safe" areas others have described. I'm kind of hoping it's not too bad there...I guess if all else fails, Walmart opens late and sells ammo. :)

Anyone here doing the military thing with med school? I'm going to guess FltSurgWannaB is one.

bnoosha,

You're asking about private loans *beyond* the TUCOM budget, right? (Of course you are, since everything under the budget should be PLUS.)

The best one right now, rate wise, would be the Sallie Mae Tuition Answer. There are some folks who dislike Sallie Mae based on principal (because it's pseudo-government backed) and/or customer service, but I really couldn't speak to that.

No matter what you choose, understand you'll be paying a pretty heavy interest that's upwards of 10% once you count in the fees associated with the loan, even with your very good credit score. And the loan will have an adjustable rate, which means if interest rates continue to climb as folks currently expect, interest will be at ~12-13% (including fees) by the end of this year.

hey heech

thanks for the replying

actually i was wondering which alternative loan (as tucom calls it) you reccommend. The loans that i need to take to cover the cost of attendance...after stafford loans have been taken into account

what are the plus loans?

tucom gives a list of recommended alternative loan lenders...but i dont remember seeing PLUS

thanks in advance for the info

heech said:
bnoosha,

You're asking about private loans *beyond* the TUCOM budget, right? (Of course you are, since everything under the budget should be PLUS.)

The best one right now, rate wise, would be the Sallie Mae Tuition Answer. There are some folks who dislike Sallie Mae based on principal (because it's pseudo-government backed) and/or customer service, but I really couldn't speak to that.

No matter what you choose, understand you'll be paying a pretty heavy interest that's upwards of 10% once you count in the fees associated with the loan, even with your very good credit score. And the loan will have an adjustable rate, which means if interest rates continue to climb as folks currently expect, interest will be at ~12-13% (including fees) by the end of this year.

Hey,

I am applying for the military thing, but I haven't had the physical yet. The recruiter I've been dealing with is actually sort of based in Texas (from NOLA but not officially back yet). The anticipation is unnecessarily stressful; we'll see.

I can't believe the loan rates today. I consolidated my undergrad and grad loans last June and am under 3 percent. Once I start paying, get a rebate for automatic payment and get a rebate for 20 months on-time payment, my interest rate will be less than 2 percent.

I think we're going to be the backlash class because the students that graduated last year or this year are going to have monthly payments half of what one of us will be paying for the same amount of loans. I'm not exaggerating.

I really need to get the military scholarship!

oUCH!

-S

bnoosha said:
actually i was wondering which alternative loan (as tucom calls it) you reccommend. The loans that i need to take to cover the cost of attendance...after stafford loans have been taken into account

what are the plus loans?
Oh gotcha, you're still talking about *under* the financial aid offices' budget.

You have two choices, depending on how risky you feel:

- Grad PLUS loans are FIXED at 8.5%. These are actually federal loans, like Stafford, and available from just about any lender. I'm not sure which loan servicer TUCOM recommends... but most institutions will carry it. Bank of America does, for example. I haven't studied the fees + repayment bonuses or what not different institutions offer, but they shouldn't be too different from place to place. The "lenders" are just acting as resellers for the federal government, basically.

- T.H.E. Private loan (http://www.northstar.org) is ADJUSTABLE, and currently at slightly less than 8%. A lot of folks out there love T.H.E. because of their customer support. Call'em up, and they'll walk you through the process. My only concern with this loan is that rates are climbing, and I think it's very likely they'll be > 8.5% by this time next year.

heech said:
Oh gotcha, you're still talking about *under* the financial aid offices' budget.

You have two choices, depending on how risky you feel:

- Grad PLUS loans are FIXED at 8.5%. These are actually federal loans, like Stafford, and available from just about any lender. I'm not sure which loan servicer TUCOM recommends... but most institutions will carry it. Bank of America does, for example. I haven't studied the fees + repayment bonuses or what not different institutions offer, but they shouldn't be too different from place to place. The "lenders" are just acting as resellers for the federal government, basically.

- T.H.E. Private loan (http://www.northstar.org) is ADJUSTABLE, and currently at slightly less than 8%. A lot of folks out there love T.H.E. because of their customer support. Call'em up, and they'll walk you through the process. My only concern with this loan is that rates are climbing, and I think it's very likely they'll be > 8.5% by this time next year.

I just got approved for a loan from Citi Bank for a rate of Prime - 0.5%. They got no fees and some incentives for payback. The Prime rate right now is 7.5% so i'd get a rate of 7%. Lowest rate i've found so far compared to other lenders who had minimum rates of 7.75%. Hope this helps.

Rich

thank you all for your replies regarding my financial concerns....you have been very helpful. Also, I am going through Touro's list alternative loan vendors to see what kind of rates I can get. I appreciate all of your comments!!

RNugg said:
I just got approved for a loan from Citi Bank for a rate of Prime - 0.5%. They got no fees and some incentives for payback. The Prime rate right now is 7.5% so i'd get a rate of 7%. Lowest rate i've found so far compared to other lenders who had minimum rates of 7.75%. Hope this helps.
You're the second one to tell me about the Citi Bank loan in the last couple of days! I'll have to add that to my list as well, as a great alternative for the very credit worthy.

The prime rate this week is actually already at 8.0%, so your rate is 7.5%. The prime rate is also forecast to be 8.5% by the time school starts in 3 months. In this interest rate environment, there's a lot to be said for fixed-rate loans.

Just remember....

If you can consolidate your pre-med school loans do.

I highly recommend GRADUATE LEVERAGE at graduateleverage.com

They are not a bank. It was started by some students at Harvard and they are more like brokers....they negotiate the best deal for consolidation.

Also, remember you should borrow from more than one lender over the life of your education so that you won't be forced to consolidate with that one lender over a better offer from someone else.

I'll be reminding people of this all though school. I've learned a lot about student loans over the years.

I have had loans with Citibank and they are generally responsible and competitive. I haven't looked into it lately, but I will. You can also micro-manage your loans on-line, which I prefer.

Did you guys just fill out the financial aide stuff or are you contacting the banks directly? I never had to do that before but I'm assuming things are different for the private loans....and I still don't know if I need them or not.

Keep me posted.

Sarah;-)

seriously... this is all do-able without taking loans above the COA. (which is a funny term, since next year "COA" will mean "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" to you guys... an excellent text). Taking a loan to cover car payments... paying for TWO sets of interest just makes me cringe.

I used to have a really awesome 40k+ SUV with 600/mo payments. and THEN i discovered the beauty of cheap reliable transportation. out of all the things to go into crazy amounts of debt for... a car just seems the least important??

Also, you can always apply for these loans later... during the school year, if you find your budget isn't quite making it... so no reason to get overly excited about it yet.

As far as the listserve... i think ours started sometime in mid/late june? We (independently) started a yahoo group too (which has been very helpful all year long), so you may want to think about doing that?? You can post pics of yourselves and intro yourselves etc.

Things will rapidly get more confusing and hectic... but I remember wanting the listserve to start too!! In a few months, when you're looking for files and notes posted on OMS files, or Blackboard, or your yahoo group... with seperate logins and p/words and multiple screens and menus each.... and never knowing when a prof is going to put up the powerpoints, you'll curse the schools' reliance on electronic media... but mostly because it's soooooo disorganized.

With most of the campus FINALLY going wireless (I went online from Histo lab last week!!! Everyone turned around to look and say WOW!!!) this will be less of a hassle for you... since you'll be able to track all of these things down from the comfort of the lecture hall.

Anyway... i'm rambling. must... go... study....

Listen to CoverMe - She speaketh the truth.

One additional thing you guys should know . . . for all your private loans, you can take out more at any point, up to the school's limit. So if you don't apply for the full amount now, you can do it at any point in the year. You have to reapply but its super easy.

Same thing goes for private loans over the school's 58K allotment. You can apply for these at any point.

So don't stress about getting the amount perfect now. I highly recommend just going ahead and taking out the max though. You'll use it. :)

In case you want to know, my stafford's are with WellsFargo. My private lender is Citibank, if you want to know. These two gave me the best rate and I could do the entire process on-line. Not one sheet of paper. Haven't had any problems.

later

Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I am still pretty new to the boards, so please forgive me for asking questions that may have already been answered. I am going to Vallejo this June to look for apartments. Can anyone recommend any apartments that are between Fairfield or Berkley that are in a good location and are relatively cheap (I guess compared to the usual prices of California). I want to live closer to berkley or fairfield, but not too far from MI. Thanks for your help! :)

gorgeousj9 said:
Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I am still pretty new to the boards, so please forgive me for asking questions that may have already been answered. I am going to Vallejo this June to look for apartments. Can anyone recommend any apartments that are between Fairfield or Berkley that are in a good location and are relatively cheap (I guess compared to the usual prices of California). I want to live closer to berkley or fairfield, but not too far from MI. Thanks for your help! :)

Welcome! I would suggest you read through the last 18 pages or so... I know it will take awhile but there is a lot of info on apartments and areas surrounding MI. I'm not sure it there are good locations that are ever cheep! :) but good luck... only 76 days til the start of school! Yahoo! :clap:

I hear ya regarding the stress regarding the application process. Are you going to do Army, Navy or Air Force? Navy boards time cut off, from what I understand, is on May 31st.

I think I might just do FAP route where you get the loans and then the military pays it off. If I get too financially stressed, then I will do the 3 year HPSP scholarship. I was clued onto the FAP thing by my buddies at USUHS who are salty about some of their residency matches or the fact that they just wanted to get through without doing the GMO tour. The thing about FAP is the fact that you do get to go through Residency first instead of doing 1 year of Internship, then go through a General Medical Officer tour for 3 years. Now the Army lets you go all the way through, but your residency match is chosen according to the needs of the Army. If you want to do FP, ObGyn, Emed then there is no cause for stress.

Getting physicals done at MEPs really sucked hard!

PhDtoDO said:
Hey,

I am applying for the military thing, but I haven't had the physical yet. The recruiter I've been dealing with is actually sort of based in Texas (from NOLA but not officially back yet). The anticipation is unnecessarily stressful; we'll see.

I can't believe the loan rates today. I consolidated my undergrad and grad loans last June and am under 3 percent. Once I start paying, get a rebate for automatic payment and get a rebate for 20 months on-time payment, my interest rate will be less than 2 percent.

I think we're going to be the backlash class because the students that graduated last year or this year are going to have monthly payments half of what one of us will be paying for the same amount of loans. I'm not exaggerating.

oUCH!

-S

Hey everyone...just an note that a few of us from class of 2010 met at the open house on Tuesday...we scoped out a few things. Like we were told the OMM lab is getting an extream makeover this summer, just in time for our class!
We also checked out where to meet when we want to unwind. A local establishment called "My Office"...
"hey honey, I am going to be home late tonight I have to stay at my office late tonight!" :laugh:
It was great meeting everyone...Heather and Ingrid from the class of 2010 you gals are awesome, plus those from current classes...Eric, Rob and Ben. (I am still in awe you could come out during exam week!) Thanks for the inside scoop and the laughs! The next pitcher is on me.
Only 75 days till school starts and I can't wait!
Tamara

Hi Sarah!

Ug, that application felt like another round of med school applications. Good luck with that!

Anyone finalizing living situations and/or moving plans yet? Let me know if ya'll are getting together for a group hug or something. I'll be kinda near the area and would love to join.

PhDtoDO said:
Hey,

oUCH!

-S

By the way guys, I just received a newsletter email from Lennar (the developer on Mare Island) about some of their new communities. So far, they've been building all 4, 5+ bedroom houses in the $700k+ range. Now, it looks like they're finally building some new townhomes + condos on the island! Seems like a great option for med students. (I know some Touro students live in the current huge homes as it is.)

Find more details here:
http://www.discovermareisland.com

That does seem great...mare island is really turning around

Im most likely going to live in one of the larger homes with 3 other girls. Im gonna be visiting the area next weekend (memorial day weekend) to see the neighborhood (b/c last time i was at TUCOM..i didnt see any new developments)

anyone else considering livign on the island?

heech said:
By the way guys, I just received an email from Lennar (the developer on Mare Island) about some of their new communities. So far, they've been building all 4, 5+ bedroom houses in the $700k+ range. Now, it looks like they're finally building some new townhomes + condos on the island! Seems like a great option for med students. (I know some Touro students live in the current huge homes as it is.)

Find more details here:
http://www.discovermareisland.com

bnoosha,

Oh the new developments are definitely there. Follow the signs for Lennar, or just look off to your right when you're driving on Walnut. There's already a few hundred homes there. And all the stately mansions on the main strip are being put on the market in the near future. It's going to take years + decades before all the industrial buildings are put to use again... but new homes are sprouting up all the time.

By the way, how cool is this (from the newsletter):

RENOVATION OF THE HISTORIC MARINE CORPS BARRACKS - Lennar Urban Homes
This limited edition of condominium homes is being designed within the shell of a completely renovated barracks building. Sophisticated finishes and spectacular views of the parade grounds and Mount Tamalpais set these homes apart. The building will offer underground parking, elevator and private lobby. The restoration of the building is scheduled to begin in the fall.

bnoosha said:
Im gonna be visiting the area next weekend (memorial day weekend) to see the neighborhood (b/c last time i was at TUCOM..i didnt see any new developments)
Hey Boosha, I am in town next week Tue through Sun looking for places to live. :cool: I would love to meet up with you (and me2vn and anyone else) for drinks at My Office or coffee at some quaint coffeeshop. I am looking forward to seeing Vallejo and TUCOM again. It was all a bit of a blur when I was there last. :laugh:

Sorry to have missed the Open House. I am psyched about the OMM lab. That rocks!

Hi all. My name is Coral and I will also be in the class of 2010! Woo Hoo. I am not able to visit for a while simply because I am in the great state of Hawaii. I hope to meet up with everyone soon and hang out. My family is in Reno and I have family in Modesto. I plan on visiting often before I start. It's so soon! I'm excited to see that there are already 18 pages! Woo Hoo!

I just wanted to say hi!

Coral