***tucom-mi Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1 Room for Rent in Benicia
3 bed, 2.5 bath
$450 (not including utilities)
washer/drier, dishwasher, microwave
Landlords are awesome, no problems!
Safe neighborhood, close to campus.
No pets allowed.

You would be living with 2 OMSII students
Would prefer a girl, but not an absolute.
Please email or call
Lindsey- [email protected] 805.205.0990
or Rob- [email protected] 707.330.1374
It's a great deal!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the listserver up yet? I haven't recieved anthing from TORUO yet at my email address. Can someone post a link to the listserve?

Thanks!

There isn't a link to speak of---you should have a TON of emails in your junk bin with the heading [TUCOM-MI].

If you don't, then you're either not on the listserv or they don't have your correct email. The listserv is just a way to collectively send an email to everyone in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Aisujin

I had some trouble getting on the list serv as well...what you need to do is email Ms. Lynn Huckle and she will most likely contact the MIS department and get you on the list serv. Or you can directly contact julie perhac (part of the mis dept.) and she should be able to add you. You can get their contact info from www.tu.edu (faculty).

Also, dont worry about missing emails, b/c all the emails are archived...so you can go back and look at them if you want to.

Good luck

Bana

Aisujin said:
Is the listserver up yet? I haven't recieved anthing from TORUO yet at my email address. Can someone post a link to the listserve?

Thanks!

Thanks Bana. I sent out an email today.

bnoosha said:
Hey Aisujin

I had some trouble getting on the list serv as well...what you need to do is email Ms. Lynn Huckle and she will most likely contact the MIS department and get you on the list serv. Or you can directly contact julie perhac (part of the mis dept.) and she should be able to add you. You can get their contact info from www.tu.edu (faculty).

Also, dont worry about missing emails, b/c all the emails are archived...so you can go back and look at them if you want to.

Good luck

Bana

Aisujin said:

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this question...it made me realize I should have been getting e-mails already as well...contacted Ms. Huckle today about figuring out what was going wrong.

So, I accepted at TUCOM-MI back in December, but have just never gotten around to posting anything on this site, even though I check it from time to time to see if anything is new. Figured it was high time to drop a line and introduce myself.

I graduated from undergrad back in 2001 with a degree in psych...been working ever since, first in Texas (San Antonio) and since last summer in Albuquerque, NM. I'm originally from Sacramento though, which is why I'm stoked about heading to Touro for school since it'll bring me back closer to home. My last day at work is the 23rd of this month (can't wait for the next two weeks to go by!) and then I'll be driving out to CA with all my stuff.

I've noticed a number of posts about a potential pre-orientation gathering...if things pan out, that would be great. Look forward to meeting you all!

Josh

Hi everyone,

Well I just got a call inviting me to interview at the end of June for this fall, so I am excited.... but not officially into the class yet.

I have a question about pre-reqs... i only took one psych class, how stringent are they with the requirements? and what can I do (if anything) to meet the requirement in the next 2 months before class starts???

Will I be able to start without meeting it?

Flyfisher said:
Hi everyone,

Well I just got a call inviting me to interview at the end of June for this fall, so I am excited.... but not officially into the class yet.

I have a question about pre-reqs... i only took one psych class, how stringent are they with the requirements? and what can I do (if anything) to meet the requirement in the next 2 months before class starts???

Will I be able to start without meeting it?

Don't worry about the psychology requirement. I didn't take any psychology classes in undergrad and got in. Just to ease your mind further: I called them way back when and they told me not to worry about it. It seems like a ridiculous requirement anyway.

hey, i heard our white coat ceremony is after the second year. is this true? peace and love, fuzziefoo :)

hey anyone know when our winter break starts? i couldn't find a calendar for this coming year on the website. thanks

hamandcheese said:
Don't worry about the psychology requirement. I didn't take any psychology classes in undergrad and got in. Just to ease your mind further: I called them way back when and they told me not to worry about it. It seems like a ridiculous requirement anyway.

Yeh, I didn't even know they had a requirement. My 5 thousand parasitology classes probably filled in....my favorite is the Loa Loa worm from East Africa...it walks across your eye underneath the surface. COOL!

The best of luck with Touro. I have to say I got an acceptance at Western. It's a great school. They even have free vet care if you'll let them practice on your dog or cat;-)

I actually liked Western as much as Touro, San Fran was a better match so that tipped the scale.

Sarah;-)

Hey,

I thought we were going to get some sort of access code to that thing in the tu.edu website. I was told or thought we were getting it in may. I wasn't expecting the list serve. I assumed that once we got access to the blackboard thing, we would have access to the year's calendar and stuff.

Also...am I the only one who'd rather wait and order/reserve books when we get to school? That's what I always did....they tell us on the first day what we need, I review the list and talk to 2nd yrs...then get them. It's my style so I'm chilling on dumping money into this right now.

I'm also going to start shopping for what I in my illiterate-computer lingo would call a mini pocket computer for doctors. My mom was so impressed with her doctors she offered to chip in for one. I want to find out what type people prefer etc. My mom is going to ask her doctor. I figure I don't need the superfancy one until residency or if they don't go outdated that fast...a really good one with future upgrades/downloads now.

I think its a little weird that we don't have a calendar etc yet.

Just thinking outload.

PhDtoDO

PhDtoDO said:
Hey,

I thought we were going to get some sort of access code to that thing in the tu.edu website. I was told or thought we were getting it in may. I wasn't expecting the list serve. I assumed that once we got access to the blackboard thing, we would have access to the year's calendar and stuff.

Also...am I the only one who'd rather wait and order/reserve books when we get to school? That's what I always did....they tell us on the first day what we need, I review the list and talk to 2nd yrs...then get them. It's my style so I'm chilling on dumping money into this right now.

I'm also going to start shopping for what I in my illiterate-computer lingo would call a mini pocket computer for doctors. My mom was so impressed with her doctors she offered to chip in for one. I want to find out what type people prefer etc. My mom is going to ask her doctor. I figure I don't need the superfancy one until residency or if they don't go outdated that fast...a really good one with future upgrades/downloads now.

I think its a little weird that we don't have a calendar etc yet.

Just thinking outload.

PhDtoDO

Hey - I think Pocket PCs are a great idea...I work in surgery and most of the docs use them. I, myself, have a Dell Axim x51v and I love it. I have downloaded a great medical encyclopedia that has anything you could possibly think of. Also, I downloaded epocrates, which is a mobile pharm encyclopedia which gives great info on medications. It autoupdates doses contraindications, mechanisms, etc etc. Along with a calendar to keep organized, bluetooth, wi-fi, sudoku, chess, it is perfect for me. Go to dell.com and check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey c/o 2010! Hope you all are enjoying your summer before med school! :D

Does anyone still need housing? My landlord's friend has a house available for rent if anyone is interested. The house is in Vallejo. I believe it is east of I-80 (aka the good side of Vallejo). It has 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bath. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

Hi everyone!

This is Meera - I sent out an intro email on the tu listserv yesterday... but had I known that SDN had so many cool smileys I would have started here instead! I :love: it!!

It's great to be at a place where I am getting excited about DO school in August - honestly I've been so swamped finishing up @Davis that the thought of starting up again in a little over a month has been more than a little stressful. I'm sure all of you can relate though, I know how taxing the whole relocation process and house hunting can be ....

I know that there are already several people from the area that have offered great advice, but if anyone is in need of more feel free to ask. I've lived in the East Bay for 11 years now - came out for my UG from Miami and never left. Also, I've been doing the Berkeley/Emeryville --> Davis commute for two years now, so I know the route pretty well & I am really stoked to be cutting my commute in 1/2!! But really, it's pretty straightforward & generally a reverse-commute - approx a 40 min drive to touro from emeryville. It is sometimes longer on the way back because the last stretch does get clogged up a little after 4. I am not sure how much time carpooling saves since there isn't much traffic going that way to begin with, but it's def better for the environment and way more fun than flying solo, so I highly recommend it for off-campus folks.

Congrats everyone! See you in a few!! Yippeee!

I hear you there.

I'm finishing up my PhD (delayed by Katrina). This blog has been a main venting platform...sorry. I'm doing fine with the work, its rebuilding my house and fighting with my insurance company that are dragging me down. I'm getting pulled in several directions.

I'm really glad everyone is so excited about school. Don't get me wrong, I am too. But, I'm also really really tired and won't have much down time before Orientation.

We have 4 years to get to know eachother so I'm not too worried.

Have fun with all the get togethers before August!

But we'll definitely have a few more once things start@

-Sarah

Hi Everyone!!
I am moving across country starting tomorrow. I hope to find housing by the end of June. But, I was hoping that someone with a truck would volunteer an afternoon (at the end of June/beginning of July) to travel around the Bay Area with me go find cheap furniture. In return for your company and generosity, I will buy you lunch! If you are interested, please PM me. Thanks in advance! :)

I'm not coming out until late July...but I'll have a truck then, for a couple of days at least.

For now, you could see if anyone else wants to split a truck rental with you.

I bet there are a few people renting trucks like me to move and you usually have it for an extra day. Just a thought.

PhDto Do

hey guys, does anyone know touro's policy for the summer after our first year? are we required to do internships and such or do we have a bit of free time? thanks

Hey guys,

Are any of you guys still looking for housing? There is a new house available on the island. PM me for more information!

Hi there,

I was wondering, going back a few messages, regarding the midical PDA... are there any people from class of 2009 or 2008 reading this that can tell us if they used this and if they found it to be useful for the first year... my family is pretty computer oriented... i'm the black sheep bc I'm not going into the computer field... and technolohy gets better so quickly... so if the PDA isn't really usefull for the 1st year, I'll probably wait and get it in a year or whenever it will be usefull...

also, if we should get it for the first year, or if anyone would like to get one now, my dad found a website that gives DO students/affiliates 50% off med PDA's... let me know if you want me to ask him what the site was...

hope everyone is enjoying some good ol fashion party time before all hell breaks loose... i'm going to be working until july 21, but I just came back from a trip to europe, so i'm getting my fun in nonetheless...

k, back to work for me,
ciao, yelena. ... i mean greenalicious... :D

Greenalicious said:
Hi there,

I was wondering, going back a few messages, regarding the midical PDA... are there any people from class of 2009 or 2008 reading this that can tell us if they used this and if they found it to be useful for the first year... my family is pretty computer oriented... i'm the black sheep bc I'm not going into the computer field... and technolohy gets better so quickly... so if the PDA isn't really usefull for the 1st year, I'll probably wait and get it in a year or whenever it will be usefull...

also, if we should get it for the first year, or if anyone would like to get one now, my dad found a website that gives DO students/affiliates 50% off med PDA's... let me know if you want me to ask him what the site was...

hope everyone is enjoying some good ol fashion party time before all hell breaks loose... i'm going to be working until july 21, but I just came back from a trip to europe, so i'm getting my fun in nonetheless...

k, back to work for me,
ciao, yelena. ... i mean greenalicious... :D

Touro has a discount through Epocrates and when I inquired about it the student sent me the "password" to get the discount but also said I probably wouldn't need it until at least my third year. If we were doing a lot of problem based learning it would be an asset but I think we are going to be so busy in our class studies we won't have time to be fooling around with a PDA program.
Now this answer also comes from someone who has a Palm and uses flashcard programs...so it may be handy for that. You may want to ask a current 2nd year and see what they think.
Only 41 more days to go!!!! Yahoo!!!!!

Thanks so much for the info... I'm getting all bogged down right now with choosing a computer... as I said, I'm from a computer family, so my dad has taken it upon himself to make it a project to help me choose a laptop... let's just say it's getting frustrating... but good to know I don't have to deal with the PDA for a while...

on the computer subject... I know in the letter Touro said they don't support MACs, but how bad is it really... my friend is raving about her new macbook... bah, this is such a dumb thing to be stressed about...

alright, I guess I should get back to what I'm actually paid to do...

...just over a month... crazy...

ciao, yelena. :luck:

Greenalicious said:
Thanks so much for the info... I'm getting all bogged down right now with choosing a computer... as I said, I'm from a computer family, so my dad has taken it upon himself to make it a project to help me choose a laptop... let's just say it's getting frustrating... but good to know I don't have to deal with the PDA for a while...

on the computer subject... I know in the letter Touro said they don't support MACs, but how bad is it really... my friend is raving about her new macbook... bah, this is such a dumb thing to be stressed about...

I sometimes wish I had family that could help me with computer stuff...nope...a family of contractors instead! (who are so busy working on other peoples houses...mine never gets any attention!)
If you look back in the thread some students talked about the tablet notebooks so I picked one up a few months ago so I could get used to using it...and it is really awesome! You will be able to download the powerpoint presentations then write notes directly on them! I have been wanting to switch to a Mac for quite a while...but the tablet notebook is really amazing for doing school work type stuff. FYI
Good luck,
Tamara

Greenalicious said:

i just bought a macbook - and love it. I installed windows on it for the few programs that are not compatible w/ mac. you can get a great student discount right now ($200 off i think) as well as a free ipod nano $100 off of a printer and a huge discount on microsoft office student edition....huge back to school promotion right now

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/?cid=WWW-NAUS-BTS20060530-8EBFY

good luck

DRofO said:
I sometimes wish I had family that could help me with computer stuff...nope...a family of contractors instead! (who are so busy working on other peoples houses...mine never gets any attention!)
If you look back in the thread some students talked about the tablet notebooks so I picked one up a few months ago so I could get used to using it...and it is really awesome! You will be able to download the powerpoint presentations then write notes directly on them! I have been wanting to switch to a Mac for quite a while...but the tablet notebook is really amazing for doing school work type stuff. FYI
Good luck,
Tamara

Thanks for all help... seriously be careful what you wish for... the healp is nice, but it makes it really hard to make any choices on your own... i don't even know what I want anymore because every time I say what I want I am told why I shouldn't want that...

I was in the apple store today hearing all the discounts, and they're great... but DELL (even though I really don't like them bc the customer support sucks) they're so much cheaper and you get way more bang for your buck...

if I may inquire, which tablet did you purchase? I really just want to get a comp and get this over with... but the mac is so pretty... but then again, harder to get help, even though they have good support... arg!!!

i love options, but sometimes i just wish someone could tell me , hey this is the one you need!!! :oops:

hey guys

i just got a dell latitude a couple of weeks ago and its great cuz its only 3.5 pounds...easy to carry around

also i really recommend dell b/c they have the greatest warranty. They cover almost any type of damage (water damage, broken screen etc). it really puts my mind at ease...also they offer in home repair service.

good luckk on ur purchases

Greenalicious said:
Thanks for all help... seriously be careful what you wish for... the healp is nice, but it makes it really hard to make any choices on your own... i don't even know what I want anymore because every time I say what I want I am told why I shouldn't want that...

I was in the apple store today hearing all the discounts, and they're great... but DELL (even though I really don't like them bc the customer support sucks) they're so much cheaper and you get way more bang for your buck...

if I may inquire, which tablet did you purchase? I really just want to get a comp and get this over with... but the mac is so pretty... but then again, harder to get help, even though they have good support... arg!!!

i love options, but sometimes i just wish someone could tell me , hey this is the one you need!!! :oops:

My "computer guy" recommended Toshiba so I spent a little more for it, otherwise the other option for tablets is Gateway.... I can't stand Gateway. (sorry any Gateway fans but I have had nothing but problems)
I also got an expandable battery pack so I have up to 9 hours without recharging. (of course I haven't tested that in "real life")
I have had a great time playing with all the features, like now I am hand writing this. Try going into a computer store and look at all the options then decide what is best for you. You'll be happy in the long run with whatever features you need.
Good Luck,
Tamara

Hey Mare Island, just wanted to say hey to you incoming first years! Wish you all the best of luck..

-Dave Touro-NV

Hey All - So i am trying to get help on SDN b/c touro fin. aid doesn't like to answer their phone. I was approved for the full amount of govn't loans and I was wondering when I needed to apply for the PLUS loans. Am I too late? I signed and returned my award letter - but that was just the stafford I believe. If you have any recommendations for lenders, that would be a great help. After I reach the total COA set by Touro, I will need to probably need to go out and get a bit of private loans for me and my wife, is Sallie Mae going to be my best bet? I apologize for all the naive questions - financial aid is definitely not my forte - first time borrower. Thanks for any light you can shine on my situation.

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to put my first post on here and say that I'm looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hey All-
I visited the apartments in Vallejo and I really liked both SunDance and Blue Rock Village. I was looking for somebody to share a two bedroom apartment at one of those complexes or anywhere along those lines. (Basically any place safe and not more than about 15 min from campus). If anybody is interested or is looking for a roommate elsewhere let me know.
Thanks!
Oh also... I am a clean, non-smoking, easy going female.

doubleplay said:
Hey All - So i am trying to get help on SDN b/c touro fin. aid doesn't like to answer their phone. I was approved for the full amount of govn't loans and I was wondering when I needed to apply for the PLUS loans. Am I too late? I signed and returned my award letter - but that was just the stafford I believe. If you have any recommendations for lenders, that would be a great help. After I reach the total COA set by Touro, I will need to probably need to go out and get a bit of private loans for me and my wife, is Sallie Mae going to be my best bet? I apologize for all the naive questions - financial aid is definitely not my forte - first time borrower. Thanks for any light you can shine on my situation.

You can Apply for your PLUS loans at any time. These loans come directly from Salie Mae, Bank of America, or whatever you lender may be. TOURO begin processing them July 1st. Nicole at the Financial Aid office is a sweetheart, she went out of her way to give me a hand with a work study program. So your best bet is to contact her.

Hi, I'm from c/o 2007, looking to get rid of a few items. Please let your classmates know if they're interested:

1) 2 Hoover vaccums (good cond.): $10/ea.
2) 1 Tappan Microwave oven (digital, black, good cond.): $25
3) 1 remote controled/heater-fan that rotates with programable thermostat and timer $40
3) I will also be getting rid of a bunch of books, but I'll email that later.

contact me at: [email protected]

Good luck on your 1st year!!! Have fun.

Paul

Could someone go over what the upper classmen are recommending webuy and what they recommend we buy before the first day of class?

Looked at some old posts but there are a ton of books they want us to order.

Thanks,

PhDtoDo

To the MS2:

The first years received an email about having to pay for the books that they reserved on the first day of orientation. How strict is this policy? I talked to a few MS2, and they plan to take a survey of the books that were most helpful to them, and then distribute that list during orientation. Will we have a chance to look over the list and then decide which books we still want?

Also, besides the online book reservation service, where is the cheapest place to buy some of the required textbooks? Some of the books that were recommended on this forum were not available through the service. I'm located in the Bay Area, and I didn't know if the other medical schools in the area had great discounts on books. Thanks!

Hi all,

So more questions about the books... What do you all think... the editions that Touro requires are all newer additions than those available through the student book sale... do you think that matters??? Or do you think it will be ok? Any second years... help...???

ciao, yelena.

Christina told me to go to half.com

I bought one used old edition out of all of them. I don't think it will make a difference. Most of the teachers will likely have their own outline/stuff and just give references of the texts. All the texts required and recommended should be on reserve in the library and other students will have the newer copies.

At least, that's my take. I've only reserved the books from older students and not any new ones yet.

I'm sure I'll get them soon.

PhDtoDO

Does anyone know where I can find the fall schedule/calendar?

Also, weren't we supposed to have gotten access to blackboard by now?

Trying to make travel plans.

-PhDtoDO

Yeah, I would also really like to see the schedule to make travel plans for the holiday (airplane tix can get expensive later on). I emailed Dr. Kriz but haven't heard back yet, so I'm assuming it's not quite ready. But yeah, it would be good to know.

asm028400 said:
Yeah, I would also really like to see the schedule to make travel plans for the holiday (airplane tix can get expensive later on). I emailed Dr. Kriz but haven't heard back yet, so I'm assuming it's not quite ready. But yeah, it would be good to know.

I got a master calendar in the mail yesterday and it had us starting orientation on the 2nd at 1pm and then school starts on the 7th. If you want more info PM me with a fax number and I can fax it to you.

:) Heather

Has anyone else received a schedule from Touro?

I got mine last night....a few hours after heather faxed me a copy.

They should have had it ready a while ago.

I'm sure everyone will get it this week though.

PhDtoDO

PhDtoDO said:
I got mine last night....a few hours after heather faxed me a copy.

They should have had it ready a while ago.

I'm sure everyone will get it this week though.

PhDtoDO

Yea I got mine last week (Friday) but I only live 30 miles from Touro. The important thing to know is that we have orientation at 1pm on the 2nd (Wednesday) and start school the following Monday.

:) Heather

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share with you all, if you're planning on buying the Littman (III) Stethescope, it's pretty cheap at www.allheart.com. Also, gloves are pretty cheap from them. And I just found out that scrubs are sold at Walmart and Costco... but I think that at Costco they come is sets of two tops and one bottom, or the other way around... probably cheapest at Walmart... and I was all excited to get some cool colors till I noticed that we're only allowed to have any shade of blue... :( there go my cool moss scrubs...

hope this helps someone,
ciao. :luck:

Hey,

FWI, the allheart scrubs ARE really cheap. The fabric is fine but the thread is almost worthless. The first time I wore each of the 2 I bought (that are very baggy) the seam on the inner leg came out and I had to repair them.

I'm not planning on buying anything else from them.

PhDtoDO

Whats up everyone!
OK, so my big bro called me and said that he was thinking
(along with some of his 2nd yrs) about getting a "party bus" maybe the second weekend of school to take a ton of us into SF to go to the bars. They were thinking this would be a good opportunity to have a sort of mixer between the 1st yrs and the 2nd years, celebrate the beginning of school, and get to go out in SF without having to worry about drivers. He just wanted me to throw the idea out there and see if there is any interest from our class. Only catch is that he said it could cost around $20 a person or so depending on how many went, but it sounds like it's worth it to get there and back safely.

Post if you are interested and the 2nd yrs will set it up and let us all know what's going on.
Mayron