***TUCOM - NV Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bblue said:
I just found this "opinion of Remington Canyon" on apartmentratings.com...:
TERRIBLE
Date posted: 8/12/2005
Years at this apartment: 2005-2005

THIS IS A TERRIBLE PLACE TO LIVE
ALL THE GOOD REVIEWS ARE WRITTEN BY THE MANAGER.
I'M AT APARTMENT 2101.

I live in Remmington and the managers are very nice and I haven't had any problems at all. There are like 7-8 of us from our class (do09) and a few from the 08s too.

Rent is $750/month, not including utiliteis, gas, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

travis said:
I live in Remmington and the managers are very nice and I haven't had any problems at all. There are like 7-8 of us from our class (do09) and a few from the 08s too.

Rent is $750/month, not including utiliteis, gas, etc...

Hey Travis,

Sorry about that...that was the first comment I read on apartmentratings.com. I read on, and that website is bunk. It does sound like a good deal and my dealings with them have been great so far (I contacted them by phone).
Also, I contacted villaserena and they're converting to condos but said they are still renting apartments in 3-6 month leases. Does anyone know if that means after that time, you'd need to find a new place?

bblue said:
Hey Travis,

Sorry about that...that was the first comment I read on apartmentratings.com. I read on, and that website is bunk. It does sound like a good deal and my dealings with them have been great so far (I contacted them by phone).
Also, I contacted villaserena and they're converting to condos but said they are still renting apartments in 3-6 month leases. Does anyone know if that means after that time, you'd need to find a new place?
Yep. I had forgotten to mention that. A lot of the apartments around Vegas get converted into condos. Make sure you ask about this when you are thinking about renting from someplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also noticed lots of condos in the area. I was hoping to buy right away, but have come to realize it would be to my benefit to get familiar with the area first. So, I think I'm going to live close to campus for a while and take advantage of being able to walk to school. :)

Do any current students know if Touro-NV has some of the same relationships (if any) with clinical rotation sites as Touro-MI? I was wondering because I'm from CA, and it would be great to do some of the non-core rotations in CA. Touro-MI has a good match list, I'm hoping Touro-NV will be similar.

for your non-core rotations, you pick the hospital, and set it up yourself, and then get it approved by the dean. so, i don't know that we have any special relationship with MI's hospitals, but if you call them to set up a rotation, since they are already familiar with the school, it shouldn't be too hard to make it work.

1hotaartichoke said:
for your non-core rotations, you pick the hospital, and set it up yourself, and then get it approved by the dean. so, i don't know that we have any special relationship with MI's hospitals, but if you call them to set up a rotation, since they are already familiar with the school, it shouldn't be too hard to make it work.

makes sense. has anyone started to make contacts for away rotations? if so, how receptive have the programs been to you? have 2nd years started to set up 3rd year rotations yet, if so, how's it all going?

the rotations for the 2nd yrs are already set i believe. it is harder to get elective rotations as a 3rd yr, b/c teaching hospitals are affiliated with med schools. so, they don't like to take other school's 3rd yr students as well. but from what i know, no one so far has had huge issues getting the elective they wanted, where they wanted. thats just what i think though, i may not be totally right.

your best bet on this sort of info would be from Box29. he knows all about that stuff.

1hotaartichoke said:
the rotations for the 2nd yrs are already set i believe. it is harder to get elective rotations as a 3rd yr, b/c teaching hospitals are affiliated with med schools. so, they don't like to take other school's 3rd yr students as well. but from what i know, no one so far has had huge issues getting the elective they wanted, where they wanted. thats just what i think though, i may not be totally right.

your best bet on this sort of info would be from Box29. he knows all about that stuff.

Thanks for the info.
Any input Box29?

socalpremie said:
Thanks for the info.
Any input Box29?
i'll see him at school tomorrow and let him know you are curious...

but, they have blocks starting on monday, so you might have to wait a bit for an answer...this week is crunch time for them!

socalpremie said:
makes sense. has anyone started to make contacts for away rotations? if so, how receptive have the programs been to you? have 2nd years started to set up 3rd year rotations yet, if so, how's it all going?

Our requests for away rotations were due by May 1st. We are allowed to make 2 changes just in case. In terms of programs being receptive, it depends on the program or physician or medical group. I approached a hospital in Chicago whose policy generally restricts rotating medical students to those of Chicago area medical schools only. I explained my situation and was granted an exception by the program director (thankfully). For the most part, your best bet would be to contact the program through which you are interested in rotating.

In terms of 3 yr rotations, they have already been scheduled for us...probably since late feb or march. Everything is going well and I think most people were given what they requested in the lottery in terms of rotational sites and vacation block.

Gotta get back to studying!

box29 said:
Our requests for away rotations were due by May 1st. We are allowed to make 2 changes just in case. In terms of programs being receptive, it depends on the program or physician or medical group. I approached a hospital in Chicago whose policy generally restricts rotating medical students to those of Chicago area medical schools only. I explained my situation and was granted an exception by the program director (thankfully). For the most part, your best bet would be to contact the program through which you are interested in rotating.

In terms of 3 yr rotations, they have already been scheduled for us...probably since late feb or march. Everything is going well and I think most people were given what they requested in the lottery in terms of rotational sites and vacation block.

Gotta get back to studying!

It's good to hear that the rotation scheduling has been favorable for you guys and that away rotations are doable...where there's a will there's a way, right? Looking forward to more of our upperclassmen's advice as we progress through medschool. Thanks for taking the time & good luck with your studies.

socalpremie said:
It's good to hear that the rotation scheduling has been favorable for you guys and that away rotations are doable...where there's a will there's a way, right? Looking forward to more of our upperclassmen's advice as we progress through medschool. Thanks for taking the time & good luck with your studies.

Thanks! Good luck with moving and settling in...Enjoy your summer!

Boy...time flies fast! 2 more days of classes as an MS-II! :D :thumbup:

hi!

def attending tu-nv.

I'm wondering what the 08ers thought about the boards (comlex & usmle).
What courses you thought helped you more and where you'd allocate your time if you could start from MS-I again.

Members don't see this ad :)
zzzsindeed said:
hi!

def attending tu-nv.

I'm wondering what the 08ers thought about the boards (comlex & usmle).
What courses you thought helped you more and where you'd allocate your time if you could start from MS-I again.

My fingers are crossed for all you guys!

Any input 08ers?

They don't take them until June as far as I know.

Hey 09ers how were finals? Congratulations on finishing up with the first year!Hope you all have a great summer and thanks for all of your advice for the upcoming year.

bblue said:
Hey 09ers how were finals? Congratulations on finishing up with the first year!Hope you all have a great summer and thanks for all of your advice for the upcoming year.
Hey hey! Now that we've had a chance to sober up a little bit, you'll probably see some responses.
alc.gif
The tests we had last week were… uh… let's just go with "intense." You guys will see when you have your first block exams in September. There's really no way to describe it, it's just something you have to experience for yourself. Don't worry though, we'll be here to help you through it, and you'll survive. Anyway, make sure you're enjoying this summer. Feel free to post any questions you guys have here and we'll do our best to answer them

Kubed said:
Hey hey! Now that we've had a chance to sober up a little bit, you'll probably see some responses.
alc.gif
The tests we had last week were… uh… let's just go with "intense." You guys will see when you have your first block exams in September. There's really no way to describe it, it's just something you have to experience for yourself. Don't worry though, we'll be here to help you through it, and you'll survive. Anyway, make sure you're enjoying this summer. Feel free to post any questions you guys have here and we'll do our best to answer them
kubed makes us all seem like alki's... he's only speaking for himself...

(although i do enjoy a good drink myself) :D

anyways, finals were fine...and DONE. now its so wierd to not have anything to do...

oh well, back to my rough schedule of taking naps at will, watching tv, and hanging out by the pool...

1. Don't buy a house or condo right away. If you are single or married without children, first look for a house/apartment to share. It will cost less, and you will learn about the area, and get a better idea of the housing market out here.

2. If you don't have a clue about physiology, histology, and biochemistry go to the book store and look up Lippincott's Illustrated Series books on Biochem, Physiology, etc. I would also recommend getting a USMLE 1 book review (this will come in handy, and it is recommended that you review these books along with the material you will be learning in class).

3. Make sure you get settled before Orientation. Some students stayed at hotels/motels until they could find a place to stay. Thus, plan ahead, and weigh all your options when it comes to room and board, etc.

4. Look into scholarship programs now, call financial aid for assistance.

5. And keep asking lots of questions!

5. And keep asking lots of questions![/QUOTE]

Ask and you shall receive..haha! I was wondering what you guys think about Kaplan's Qbank...I hear it's about $33/month, and it can be really helpful in preparing for tests and the boards later. Is it something worth purchasing and using for the first few months of school or is it better used later on in the first year and second year (assuming it's worth it at all)?

Thank you and congratulations again on finishing finals and your first year!

Hey guys,

I have been checking on this thread since I interviewed. I just got a call from Roger yesterday...I will be joining the class this fall.

I, like everyone else, will be looking for a place to live. I want to buy a house but do not know much about house buying. I will be going to Vegas this next weekend to look for a place.

Later,

Matt.

bblue said:
5. And keep asking lots of questions!

Ask and you shall receive..haha! I was wondering what you guys think about Kaplan's Qbank...I hear it's about $33/month, and it can be really helpful in preparing for tests and the boards later. Is it something worth purchasing and using for the first few months of school or is it better used later on in the first year and second year (assuming it's worth it at all)?

Thank you and congratulations again on finishing finals and your first year![/QUOTE]

Don't pay for Qbank, the school will hook you up with USMLE/COMLEX format questions on their computer system, that is analogous to the Kaplan Qbank. Save your money.

Don't pay for Qbank, the school will hook you up with USMLE/COMLEX format questions on their computer system, that is analogous to the Kaplan Qbank. Save your money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Is Touro one of the few schools that offer the USMLE/COMLEX format Q's? I've heard from students at other schools that Qbank was a necessity...but am not sure if their schools had the USMLE/COMLEX Q's.
Any recommendations on what you would do if you were starting first year again?

Many thanks again!

Hey guys- I haven't posted at all here b/c I've been a little busy this year, but there is lots of advice coming your way- on our bulletin board, my classmates are compiling advice for you from our class. Many people will be able to give you advice about school once you get here.
My biggest suggestion for the moment- relax. Enjoy your summer, and don't worry. Find a house/apartment/condo by coming in to town and looking around (I found it difficult to do from Oregon- I ended up flying in for a weekend, and it was much easier). As for health insurance- I will be using SOMA next year. The insurance I had last year (Fortis) was expensive and didn't work very well when I actually need something. Also, there is a 'bookstore' of sorts that you can use once you get here (on the school's website, www.tourobooks.com) to buy your school books, and unless you get your books used you will save money by waiting.
When you get here- budget your time well. Study when you have the time, but spend some time with your friends and family too. They will miss you and need you around, and trust me, you will need them too. Also- get to know your professors. They can be your greatest ally.
We are so excited to have you here, and we will do our best to support you (we know how difficult the first few months can be).

Katie Mueller, OMS-II (finally!)
OMSGA President

bblue,
I think there are many schools that will invest in different Board exam question programs.
Apropos, they do have Kaplan come by and talk to you about their Qbank. Our library has plenty of resources, and also has some copies of Kaplan's new book on the USMLE/COMLEX.

I am actually very happy with what I did. I planed in advance, found an apartment near the school, looked around and learned more about the community, where to shop, etc. I also became familiar early on with students, professors, etc. I also bought my books in advance.

Just an FYI on the "bookstore" if you are at all interested in buying books... SOMA bookstore offers anywhere from 8% - 15% off your books whereas Touro Bookstore only offers 5% even though they both use Matthew's Books as a distributor.

Here's the link:

http://webmedbooks.com/soma/default.aspx

PS...don't pick any school in the drop down menu on the left hand side of the screen. Pick your books first and then at check out, choose the school.

Or if you are a member of B&N.com or borders.com, go there since shipping will be cheaper and probably the prices too by several dollars. Anyhoo, the shipping for Touro books and SOMA bookstore can get pretty outrageous.

thanks 09ers and 08ers. Welcome matt!

I have tons of questions.

Which usmle review books are good?

Where will clinical rotations be? Will we have a choice? Any international options?

How many "blocks" are there in a semester?

zzzsindeed said:
thanks 09ers and 08ers. Welcome matt!

Where will clinical rotations be? Will we have a choice? Any international options?

How many "blocks" are there in a semester? I'm figuring that I'll get to relax after the end of each block...I hope...

I managed to get a hold of Lipencott's Biochem review from a friend and I already took biochem and I'm looking at this thing going :eek: ...we maybe covered 10% of that book in my biochem class...that scared me a bit. Still..for sanity sake I promised to stop looking at it come late june.

Is anyone sure of books they'll def re-use for next year? Is Gray's Anatomy for students a def keeper?

Thanks tons! :)
1. I just ordered First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 : 2006. My roommate has it, so I have looked through it, and it looks PERFECT for my style of learning (visual, clear and concise)

2. I'm sure Box will jump all over this one

3. 3 blocks/ semester (6 blocks/year)

4. Lippincott has some good books, and Biochem is definitely a tough and important subject, so this would definitely be a nice book to have. My recommendation is to enjoy your summer until, like you said, about a month before school starts. Then read that book about an hour a day to get your mind in gear and ready for the start of school. Also, be sure to spend some quality time with your family/friends/significant other because come August, things will not be the same.

5. I liked Grays a lot, but I heard a rumor that Dr Ma might make a change for next year.

Medical school is definitely a unique experience. A lot of you will come in thinking, I graduated near the top of my class, and I expect to do really well in Med school. Well, not everyone is going to be in the top of their class in medical school, so it will take some time to get used to the fact that you are in the middle or bottom of your class. From the words of MTV Diaries...You may think you know, but you have no idea. You will be shocked at first, but you will adapt and get somewhat use to the rigors of medical school. I know I had to tell myself "everything will be ok, everything will work out in the end" about 20 times a day for the first month. And you know what, it did (atleast, so far). I was just freakin out. Oh, and there is a lot to look forward to...meeting your classmates, the week before school (should be a lot of fun!), White Coat Ceremony, end of first block, last block, and the blocks in between celebrations, working with your first cadaver, cracking your first neck, finding the low ilium flare out tender point ;) jk, Las Vegas...etc. Just stay positive and enjoy the journey (I know, really corny) Anyway, hope that helps. Can't wait to meet you guys. :)

zzzsindeed said:

For 1st year, I would get First Aid for the USMLE and go through the pertinent sections as you cover them in BSF. Annotate the crap out it for the physio, anatomy, histo sections of the systems you are covering at that time. When you are in Biochem, write down the nitty gritty. Remember that First Aid is just a basic skeleton outline of some high yield material but you need to take notes in the margins so that when you need to review come the end of second year, all the notes are there...It saves a lot of time.

Currently, First Aid for the USMLE is in its 2006 version. The 2007 version will come out in December 2006 or Jan 2007. Personally, I would wait till the 2007 version comes out since when you all take your boards, the 2008 version will be out. It's up to you but I would hold off till the newer version comes out.

Additionally, you may perhaps want to get the Board Review Series (BRS) book for physiology.

zzzsindeed said:
Where will clinical rotations be?

In the Las Vegas/Henderson area...for the class of 2008, there were 3 sites that were available for us to rank in terms of preference:

1. UMC/Valley (which has multiple hospital sites including the VA, Mountain View, Desert Springs, Spring Mountain, Freemont, Nevada Health Centers, Inc., Southwest Medical, and Summerlin)

2. Sunrise Hospital

3. St. Rose Hospital ( Sienna Campus 89052 or de Lima campus 89015)

The administration just got word that Nellis Air Force Base Hospital will also be taking students...(For the class fo 2008, 16 students will be chosen randomly to rotate there).

zzzsindeed said:
Will we have a choice?

The only choices you have to make are your preference of rotation site, electives, and your preference for vacation block. Just because you prefer it doesn't mean you will necessarily get it...It's a lottery, just like any other med school that prepares the students' clerkship rotations. You deal with what you get.

zzzsindeed said:
Any international options?

This is currently being worked on by several students and the administration.

zzzsindeed said:
How many "blocks" are there in a semester?

3 blocks per semester and the 2nd block is usually the shortest! Work hard and MANAGE your time WELL!

zzzsindeed said:
Is anyone sure of books they'll def re-use for next year?
Is Gray's Anatomy for students a def keeper?

Your anatomy book is definitely a keeper IMHO...it's good to look up stuff and use as a reference for boards.

Good luck in the fall!

cardiotonic said:
2. I'm sure Box will jump all over this one

You beat me to it... :laugh: I was typing this up as you were posting...

cardiotonic said:
Oh, and there is a lot to look forward to...finding the low ilium flare out tender point ;) jk

Dirty dirty Cardiotonic!!! :laugh: ;)

nice...that answers another question...in which areas should i refrain from asking for help?
j/k
but seriously, i appreciate your input

zzzsindeed said:

well, there are tons of us with not much to do anymore...so ask away! :D

oh, also, the board review series is good for school. the physiology BRS book (by linda something(i think her last name starts with a c), if you type in board review series into amazon, its a blue book with a graph paper printed like cover) was super helpful for BSF, and also is one that you will be studying out of for the boards, so well worth the investment now (its only like $35 anyways). also, like cardio said, the USMLE first aid book is notorious too.

enjoy your summer! :D

box29 said:
You beat me to it... :laugh: I was typing this up as you were posting...

hey uh, box...don't you have studying to be doing?! get off sdn and the ezboard and go study!! slacker ;)

what was the quote again? "screw around less, study more"? :laugh: or something like that (*ahem* complain less, study more) :D

so get to it!

1hotaartichoke said:
hey uh, box...don't you have studying to be doing?! get off sdn and the ezboard and go study!! slacker ;)

what was the quote again? "screw around less, study more"? :laugh: or something like that (*ahem* complain less, study more) :D

so get to it!

Oye Vye! It's been going slow! I'm scheduled to take COMLEX I on Monday July 10th...so I've got a good month...except for when I'm on IM rotation.

Hey, did you move yet? When is the big day? Oh, do you have my hard drive? Anyhoo...take it easy...I was relieved to hear that ICM was cake.

box29 said:
Dirty dirty Cardiotonic!!! :laugh: ;)
I knew I shouldn't have said that. :oops: Oh well...OFF TO GVR POOL!!! (sucks for you :p )

I just noticed I am a senior member! :eek: Sounds like I am getting old! :eek: How long have I been in med school??? :rolleyes:

1hotaartichoke said:
kubed makes us all seem like alki's... he's only speaking for himself...
I embrace what I am
drunk.gif

Hey Box, when are you taking the USMLE? Before, after or will you be filling out two tests at the same time?

Do any of you guys have SOMA Health Insurance? I'm looking into SOMA and HPN right now. I basically want whatever's cheapest! Any input would help....

Kubed said:
I embrace what I am
drunk.gif

Hey Box, when are you taking the USMLE? Before, after or will you be filling out two tests at the same time?

USMLE after...when...sometime after but not too long after...how's summer treating ya?

hansdieter702 said:
Do any of you guys have SOMA Health Insurance? I'm looking into SOMA and HPN right now. I basically want whatever's cheapest! Any input would help....

There are many students with SOMA health insurance at Touro...and as far as HPN, well I know of students who don't like it...As for me, I carry the health plan that I have had for years and years...BCBS, but it's not cheap either.

Most students seem to be happy with SOMA insurance...hey Kubed, 1hotaartichoke, and cardio...what insurance do you carry?

hansdieter702 said:

There are many students with SOMA health insurance at Touro...and as far as HPN, well I know of students who don't like it...As for me, I carry the health plan that I have had for years and years...BCBS, but it's not cheap either.

Most students seem to be happy with SOMA insurance...hey Kubed, 1hotaartichoke, and cardio...what insurance do you carry?

Anyhoo, I say go for SOMA health insurance. :)

box29 said:
:)
HPN, switching to BCBS.

HPN was cheaper than SOMA for me with Dental and Vision. I have used it in the past few weeks and didn't have any problems. I have had experience with a PPO in the past as well as with Kaiser, but did not experience anything different. HPN people are very difficult to get ahold of on the phone. I like the 24hr advice nurse, they have helped me out a few times. They are also raising my premiums this year by some 4% but it is still cheaper than SOMA. Over all, I am sticking with it.

-Good luck

HPN is a great plan (no deductible, 0% coinsurance, very low monthly premium, etc.) but there are two big drawbacks for me. They are not national and they're and HMO. Here is a site that I have been using to find my health insurance:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/eh...on=changeCensus&mcei.app.terminalID=__tid__2_

I think I am going to go with BCBS- Anthem Blue High Deductible (HSA Compatible) Plan (a PPO). It's actually $5 cheaper/mo. The only drawbacks compared to HPN are the $2,600 deductible and 20% coinsurance.

I still have to check out SOMA though

Hope this helps

box29 said:
USMLE after...when...sometime after but not too long after...how's summer treating ya?
Summer… what's summer? I started doing the research thing the Monday after blocks. Doing some sweet, sweet rads and cancer genetics research. I'm in it for the papers, but it's got some nice perks. I spent 6 hours today reading and dictating MRI's.

I have my health insurance though Teachers Plan. It's only available to full time employees of Clark County School district and their families. You don't actually have to be married to get it. I'm my girlfriend's "domestic partner." If you can get it, it's the best I've found.

box29 said:

im still on my mom's :D

1hotaartichoke said:
im still on my mom's :D

I'm still on your mom too...haha...(it was just sitting there for the taking, and I figured I would beat Kubed to it)

stretch210 said:
I'm still on your mom too...haha...(it was just sitting there for the taking, and I figured I would beat Kubed to it)

:mad:

j.k you're right...it was just waiting to be said :rolleyes: :D