***TUCOM - NV Class Of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they are hard to find. target didn't sell any when i was looking, bebe did (but they were like $38 a piece), and so i found some at walmart for like $8 for a 3 pack. i know nike has some too, but those ones are like $30 something a peice, and i would only be using em for OMM (i prefer racerbacks for working out). hope this helps. :D

Members don't see this ad.

1hotaartichoke said:
they are hard to find. target didn't sell any when i was looking, bebe did (but they were like $38 a piece), and so i found some at walmart for like $8 for a 3 pack. i know nike has some too, but those ones are like $30 something a peice, and i would only be using em for OMM (i prefer racerbacks for working out). hope this helps. :D

Thanks! :D

Hey I'm David, I will be starting DO classes in August at TUCOM NV.. I have checked the web site a million times and still no new pics of the campus.. I was wondering if any of you 09 or 08ers had any pictures of the school..

Members don't see this ad :)
tucomnvms1 said:
Hey I'm David, I will be starting DO classes in August at TUCOM NV.. I have checked the web site a million times and still no new pics of the campus.. I was wondering if any of you 09 or 08ers had any pictures of the school..
Sure.
Here's the front entrance.
caa4d9533ee9e58b54b0fd75c74d95a5-.jpg

Here's the atrium by the DO classrooms
3a70ed98580ccb2dd64728e13f8a923a-.jpg

Here's the new atrium
2b414efe61e256fc6e475bcdb4c8e7a4-.jpg

Here's the basketball court (set up for volleyball)
236533fcae32763fba7793aff479f9c5-.jpg

Here's your classroom
fdf54c70a1b41f6e2912bfdd5fa224a1-.jpg

And here's the view from loft in your classroom.
ff9cafb97ff366ac6472855259ea0c16-.jpg

wow. when i visited the new atrium wasn't there.

1hotaartichoke said:
yeah, they are kind of a pain in the butt to find...but we do. it is pretty important actually when feeling the upper thoracics... plus, a certain prof is pretty picky about us wearing the correct dresscode.

that is so funny that others are having difficulties with this too, i've been looking everywhere for them with my sisters whenever we're out shopping...and they think i'm crazy :laugh:

and nice pics of the school, they should put some up on Touro-NV's website

p.s. i feel like I'm in the quiet before the storm right now, things have slowed a little after the initial excitement of getting accepted and the fun faxing forms back stage.

Faxing forms is always fun!
If anyone is still going over Stafford Loans, Chase bank has a great deal where you get .6% interest rate reduction for signing up for autodebit (which is .35% more than any other lender I saw). It might be that way for their Plus loans too...But Chase definitely had better repayment benefits than any other lender I saw.

Hey everyone! I am going to be joining you all this fall from Anchorage, AK. I was wondering if there are any students out there who are still making housing arrangements. I would love to find a roommate to share a two bedroom somewhat close to campus. Also, is this the best place to look, are there other lists? I am a 23y/o n/s female. If you're interested, let me know and I can email you more information about myself. Thanks!

Hey 09ers,

I was wondering what kind of computers you have and if you would recommend them....I'm thinking of going with a Dell, although Toshiba's are pretty cheap and meet the school's requirements. Please let me know when you get a chance. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just got my acceptance today! See you soon :) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
bblue said:
Hey 09ers,

I was wondering what kind of computers you have and if you would recommend them....
Depends on what you're going to be doing with it. Last year I went with a Dell 600m (about $800). Its fine for school, but it only has a 60 gig hard drive. I take and store a lot of pictures on my laptop as well as use it to burn dvd's. I've found that 60 gigs fills up pretty quick doing this, so i've had to get an external drive to supplement my laptop. The lectures and study guides won't take up that much space (I haven't backed up my stuff yet, but I'd estimate that I have about 3 gig's total for first year). A half gig of ram will be plenty, but more is always nice. Shoot for something at least 1.2 Ghz. Also make sure you have a G band wireless card. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease make sure you have a G card. There was someone at school last year who had a B card and everytime they signed on it brought the wireless to it's knees.

Something else you might want to take a look at would be a tablet pc. There were a few people who had them and they swear by them. I didn't have one, but they look really cool. … Little pricey though. Another personal recommendation is to look for the smallest laptop possible. The 15 and 17 inch screens are nice and look great, but this is something that you will be carrying around with you daily. I've got a 15 inch screen and it didn't take too long before I started looking longingly at those tiny and light weight 12 inch laptops. Also, I would personally recommend getting a WXGA or better screen. I have a SXGA screen and it can be difficult to see under the florescent lights.

Just a quick note on powerbooks. Several people at school have them and didn't have any trouble with the network (including aartichoke). However, the guy who runs the net said that this year apple products won't be compatible with the server. No one is really sure how (or why) they're going to do that. Odds are it was just talk, but keep that in the back of your mind.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and a big welcome and congratulations to all the new people!
clap.gif

Kubed said:
Depends on what you’re going to be doing with it. Last year I went with a Dell 600m (about $800). Its fine for school, but it only has a 60 gig hard drive. I take and store a lot of pictures on my laptop as well as use it to burn dvd’s. I’ve found that 60 gigs fills up pretty quick doing this, so i’ve had to get an external drive to supplement my laptop. The lectures and study guides won’t take up that much space (I haven’t backed up my stuff yet, but I’d estimate that I have about 3 gig’s total for first year). A half gig of ram will be plenty, but more is always nice. Shoot for something at least 1.2 Ghz. Also make sure you have a G band wireless card. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease make sure you have a G card. There was someone at school last year who had a B card and everytime they signed on it brought the wireless to it’s knees.

Something else you might want to take a look at would be a tablet pc. There were a few people who had them and they swear by them. I didn’t have one, but they look really cool. … Little pricey though. Another personal recommendation is to look for the smallest laptop possible. The 15 and 17 inch screens are nice and look great, but this is something that you will be carrying around with you daily. I’ve got a 15 inch screen and it didn’t take too long before I started looking longingly at those tiny and light weight 12 inch laptops. Also, I would personally recommend getting a WXGA or better screen. I have a SXGA screen and it can be difficult to see under the florescent lights.

Just a quick note on powerbooks. Several people at school have them and didn’t have any trouble with the network (including aartichoke). However, the guy who runs the net said that this year apple products won’t be compatible with the server. No one is really sure how (or why) they’re going to do that. Odds are it was just talk, but keep that in the back of your mind.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice!
Are you getting a new computer for 2nd year or are you sticking with the Dell 600m? Besides the SXGA screen, do you know what kind of screens are better than the WXGA for viewing at school and elsewhere? Was there a type of computer students in your class had that seemed to work the best?

Thanks again!

P.S. Are you living at the Allegro?

like kubed said...i have a powerbook, and i love it! and if you are going to get an apple, it would be a macbook pro. the one with the intel chip that is compatible with windows apps, so i would recommend it. you get the best of both worlds (and everyone knows the apple world is better). i was actually in an apple store the other day, and they are running a promo..anyone who buys a mac laptop gets a free ipod nano. i would look into it...i doubt they can really lock us macs off the network. doesn't really seem likely.

happy comp hunting.

I also got a 600m last year and I am really happy I did. Unlike Kubed, I think the 12 in screens are too small, especially for anatomy and neuro lectures. Also if you want your computer to be Vista compatible, you will need 1 gig of ram. I would recommend something like a 14-15 in. non-glossy screen, 1 gig of ram, 1.6+ Ghz, 60+ GB memory, and the best battery or two you can get your hands on. Oh, and a complete care package because you carry it around with you all the time and a couple of people got coffee/liquid spilled on their laptops and it wasn't a happy situation. I would also strongly recommend that you go through one of the following sites and look for a good deal/coupon (some coupons are better than others so it is definitely worth it to put some time in searching/waiting for a good one). I went through fatwallet and saved hundreds (750 off 1499 coupon).

http://www.fatwallet.com/
http://www.dealsea.com/

Congratulations to all of you...can't wait to meet you! :D

Hey everyone, i know that JJ briggs did a great job with the EZboard website. I have had alot of problems with it, and posting pics is not easy. I started a yahoo groups website for the 2010ers.. Please join and post your mugshot!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tucomclassof2010

-David Ross

cardiotonic said:
I also got a 600m last year and I am really happy I did. Unlike Kubed, I think the 12 in screens are too small, especially for anatomy and neuro lectures. Also if you want your computer to be Vista compatible, you will need 1 gig of ram. I would recommend something like a 14-15 in. non-glossy screen, 1 gig of ram, 1.6+ Ghz, 60+ GB memory, and the best battery or two you can get your hands on. Oh, and a complete care package because you carry it around with you all the time and a couple of people got coffee/liquid spilled on their laptops and it wasn't a happy situation. I would also strongly recommend that you go through one of the following sites and look for a good deal/coupon (some coupons are better than others so it is definitely worth it to put some time in searching/waiting for a good one). I went through fatwallet and saved hundreds (750 off 1499 coupon).

http://www.fatwallet.com/
http://www.dealsea.com/

Congratulations to all of you...can't wait to meet you! :D

Thanks for the info. cardiotonic and aartichoke! Being first year, I'll probably stick with a pc for now, but those macbooks are pretty sweet. Should I buy onenote as a customization, or is there a way to download it for less?

does anyone know if you can take notes directly on a document, like lecture notes that we download, using the tablet pc's? If so, one of these would be great. A salesperson told me that you can only take notes on a blank page and then cut and paste onto another document.

from what i have seen with my classmates who have tablet pc's...they take notes directly onto the downloaded powerpoints, just like you want. i think the salesman is wrong.

socalpremie said:
does anyone know if you can take notes directly on a document, like lecture notes that we download, using the tablet pc's? If so, one of these would be great. A salesperson told me that you can only take notes on a blank page and then cut and paste onto another document.

I took notes on my powerpoints. The salesperson is wrong. It is a main reason i got a tablet. I wanted to be able to write on my notes without having to print out several pages or have several on a page and then try to write on them.

DrB said:
Just got back into town from Puerto Vallarta... it was wonderful.

I am starting a mixed review session for myself for the next few weeks, so if you have any questions l will be around.

-B

lol, is there any more room in your 'mixed review session for yourself'? I need to crank up the reviews before the school year starts.

Congrats to all the new folk! Can't wait to meet all of you!! :)

TranquilityLove said:
I took notes on my powerpoints. The salesperson is wrong. It is a main reason i got a tablet. I wanted to be able to write on my notes without having to print out several pages or have several on a page and then try to write on them.

sweet. thanks artichoke & tranquility for the correct info about the tablet pc's. so, was it hard to adjust to taking notes on a screen vs. on paper? any drawbacks to these pc's?

travis said:
lol, is there any more room in your 'mixed review session for yourself'? I need to crank up the reviews before the school year starts.

Congrats to all the new folk! Can't wait to meet all of you!! :)
I've got a good idea on how we can set this up if you guys are up for it.

cardiotonic said:
I've got a good idea on how we can set this up if you guys are up for it.

I actually wouldn't mind sitting in on a couple of those if you guys are ok with a 'newbie' being there!

What up Dr. B!?

Sorry you all, I had to go out of town for the past week to San Jose. I wouldn't mind setting up a time to meet. I have been keeping it real loose as far as my studying goes.

I have all the Kaplan, First Aid, Goljan, Gold Standard, Mosbys, and many review books. The last few days I have been working on Embryology and Biochem. Mostly just a few hours a day for a grand total of about 20 hours. Its amazing how much you can forget. I don't want to study anything less than three weeks before school starts. We need to enjoy all the free time we have... when we start August 7th... it doesn't stop.

-Stay loose :cool:

PM me if you want to get together

socalpremie said:
What the salesperson may have been referring to are some compatibility issues with tablet PC's and Microsoft office XP. Currently, tablet pc's are unable to fully utilize their capabilities (ie, writing directly on ppt slides with the stylus pen) with office xp. There have been several patches released trying to correct this, but there are still issues. Most people have solved this problem by running Office 2003 for tablet PC in place of office XP. Office 2003 isn't as nice and doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of XP, but it still fulfills the basic needs.

Kubed said:
What the salesperson may have been referring to are some compatibility issues with tablet PC’s and Microsoft office XP. Currently, tablet pc’s are unable to fully utilize their capabilities (ie, writing directly on ppt slides with the stylus pen) with office xp. There have been several patches released trying to correct this, but there are still issues. Most people have solved this problem by running Office 2003 for tablet PC in place of office XP. Office 2003 isn’t as nice and doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles of XP, but it still fulfills the basic needs.

I like my laptop with its wide screen so that I can put the lecture on one side and my notes on the other. Another tip... Many lectures are in powerpoint format and this allows you to take notes on the bottom of the screen as well as add little stars, happy faces, think bubbles and call outs to the powerpoint. Last year I watched the people who had tablets, many of them did not use that function while in class.

Kubed said:
What the salesperson may have been referring to are some compatibility issues with tablet PC’s and Microsoft office XP. Currently, tablet pc’s are unable to fully utilize their capabilities (ie, writing directly on ppt slides with the stylus pen) with office xp. There have been several patches released trying to correct this, but there are still issues. Most people have solved this problem by running Office 2003 for tablet PC in place of office XP. Office 2003 isn’t as nice and doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles of XP, but it still fulfills the basic needs.

So, after doing a little more research I found out that the newer Tablet PCs have Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition, and there's a good thread in the allo forum where students who have used the tablets add their insights. Apparently you can take notes directly onto powerpoints using the tablets, but I really want to try it out on one before I purchase. There's a Toshiba Satellite tablet that I'm leaning towards that has the Intel Core duo processor, 120 MB RAM, 100 GB hard drive, 802.11 a/b/g wireless, 14" WXGA screen etc...but 6 lbs. If I don't end up going with the tablet pc though, there's this 4.1 pound Sony Vaio (with the core duo processor and lots of memory) that I really want cuz it looks so hot.

socalpremie said:
... 120 MB RAM, 100 GB hard drive, 802.11 a/b/g wireless, 14" WXGA screen etc....
more RAM... MORE RAM!! I think 256 is the min you can get by on, but really after a while you will want half a gig to a full gig.

Kubed said:
more RAM... MORE RAM!! I think 256 is the min you can get by on, but really after a while you will want half a gig to a full gig.

woops! i meant 1024 MB RAM, i don't even think they make any pc's w/ less than 512

if you don't get the tablet pc, look into the mac book pro...an apple that runs PC and MAC applications is one to be reckoned with. :D

We just got our booklist from Roger this morning and I wanted to ask any '09 or '08 class members about where you purchased your books. Any recommendations? Which books are absolutely necessary and which ones aren't...thanks

hansdieter702 said:
We just got our booklist from Roger this morning and I wanted to ask any '09 or '08 class members about where you purchased your books. Any recommendations? Which books are absolutely necessary and which ones aren't...thanks
That's a tough call and is really subjective. Personally I didn't use gray's anatomy that much, but a large part of the class read every single page. Conversely I got a lot out of my Bates Guide, but there were a bunch of people who didn't even crack the cover. Basically, you know how you study the best. If you know how you study the best. If you never used the book in undergrad, chances are you're not going to start using the book now. The best advice I have for you is to head down to school and flip though the books yourself (all of them are on reserve in the library… or they should be by now). Last year I took a "better safe than sorry" approach and bought them all. I'm probably going to do the same this year.

However, so I'm not a total copout on your question, I would say get all the neuro books because there's no way to fail if you're read them (neruo wasn't until spring for us last year, so you should have some time). I also highly recommend getting Medical Biochemistry. I have a biochem background and I thought it was very well written. I would also recommend getting the coloring book for physiology (I don't think it was on the recommended list). It is very simple to follow and is very high yield. Last year for anatomy I also got a lot of mileage out of Netters flash cards for anatomy. Oh, about Immunology and Microbiology. If you have ANY background I wouldn't worry about getting the books. However, if you're a little shaky the books are a good source for you.

Kubed said:
That’s a tough call and is really subjective. Personally I didn’t use gray’s anatomy that much, but a large part of the class read every single page. Conversely I got a lot out of my Bates Guide, but there were a bunch of people who didn’t even crack the cover. Basically, you know how you study the best. If you know how you study the best. If you never used the book in undergrad, chances are you’re not going to start using the book now. The best advice I have for you is to head down to school and flip though the books yourself (all of them are on reserve in the library… or they should be by now). Last year I took a “better safe than sorry” approach and bought them all. I’m probably going to do the same this year.

However, so I’m not a total copout on your question, I would say get all the neuro books because there’s no way to fail if you’re read them (neruo wasn’t until spring for us last year, so you should have some time). I also highly recommend getting Medical Biochemistry. I have a biochem background and I thought it was very well written. I would also recommend getting the coloring book for physiology (I don’t think it was on the recommended list). It is very simple to follow and is very high yield. Last year for anatomy I also got a lot of mileage out of Netters flash cards for anatomy. Oh, about Immunology and Microbiology. If you have ANY background I wouldn’t worry about getting the books. However, if you’re a little shaky the books are a good source for you.

I would have to disagree with Kubed on one major thing...the neuro books are absolutely NOT necessary. You will be provided comprehensive notes by Dr. Wells when you have that class.

Anatomy: I didn't use the book either, but I would get it just for reference, plus MOST people did read it.

Biochem:The only reason you may need the book is: 1. you have never had any biochem or 2. it will be during the first block of school and you and everyone else around you will have NO idea why the hell they are giving you so much information, and how you are supposed to get thru it all, the book may be comforting when some of the notes don't make sense.

physiology: don't buy the books, get the BRS physiology book for board review, some people used the books, I never did, if I needed something it was to interpret a graph or something...you can take a look at the library or use someone else's book for that (no matter what we say there inevitebly will be 50 people who buy every book).

Micro and Immuno: didn't know there was a book, you don't need it.

Histo: get the lab book, if there is another book...don't get it

ICM, PD, PH: don't need the books, the only book you may want is the PD one for future reference (3rd year).

OMM: I never used the books, and you don't need them to do well in the class, but they too will be good for future reference.

PM me for anymore questions...

stretch210 said:
I would have to disagree with Kubed on one major thing...the neuro books are absolutely NOT necessary. You will be provided comprehensive notes by Dr. Wells when you have that class.

Anatomy: I didn't use the book either, but I would get it just for reference, plus MOST people did read it.

Biochem:The only reason you may need the book is: 1. you have never had any biochem or 2. it will be during the first block of school and you and everyone else around you will have NO idea why the hell they are giving you so much information, and how you are supposed to get thru it all, the book may be comforting when some of the notes don't make sense.

physiology: don't buy the books, get the BRS physiology book for board review, some people used the books, I never did, if I needed something it was to interpret a graph or something...you can take a look at the library or use someone else's book for that (no matter what we say there inevitebly will be 50 people who buy every book).

Micro and Immuno: didn't know there was a book, you don't need it.

Histo: get the lab book, if there is another book...don't get it

ICM, PD, PH: don't need the books, the only book you may want is the PD one for future reference (3rd year).

OMM: I never used the books, and you don't need them to do well in the class, but they too will be good for future reference.

PM me for anymore questions...
I strongly agree with stretch (good post) except for anatomy. I used 3 books fairly regularly (Gray's (standard must have), Moses (realistic pictures...good for practicals and lab), and Netter's (good for a quick review bc there are a lot of structures on each page).

stretch210 said:
Gotta tear apart my post hu? Easy stretch, I know where you live! :p :laugh:

Like I said before, you should have some time before neuroscience starts. You should also have some time before micro and immunology start. You can wait to buy these books if you’re thinking about getting them.

Good call on histo. It’s not the book you want, but the CD that’s in the book. It’s golden. You don’t even have to go into the lab to study slides if you have the CD.

I see ICM has a required book this year. I would wait until school starts to see if you’ll really need it. Last year we didn’t have a book, so I don’t know how heavily they’ll pull from it. I can’t imagine they’ll ask anything that won’t be in their presentations.

Would you say I can wait a month before ordering Neuro, Micro, and the Primary Care books? Are there other topics can I wait for that we'll have 2nd semester?

Farfromtime said:
Would you say I can wait a month before ordering Neuro, Micro, and the Primary Care books? Are there other topics can I wait for that we'll have 2nd semester?
I would wait on all three subjects.

Kubed said:
Good call on histo. It’s not the book you want, but the CD that’s in the book. It’s golden. You don’t even have to go into the lab to study slides if you have the CD.

Hey....I was wondering if one of us gets the Histo book, can we burn the CD and distribute it to classmates (Of course that is just 'theoretically' speaking ;) )

Hey....I was wondering if one of us gets the Histo book, can we burn the CD and distribute it to classmates (Of course that is just 'theoretically' speaking ;) )[/QUOTE]

yeah i was wondering to, I have the book from undergrad but when I moved out here the c.d. broke and the publisher says they can't sell me just the c.d.
thanks

Just got a call today from Roger saying that I was accepted for the class of 2010 so I guess that I'll be joining all you guys in 2 weeks. Is there anyone that is still looking for a roommate? It seems like all the 1 bedroom apartments around campus won't be available until a few weeks after school starts so I am still trying to figure something out. I am coming all the way from Michigan so I have no idea what to do. Also, how do I get access to that ezboard that everyone seems to be talking about. If you guys have any advice on anything, I would really appreciate it. 22/M if that makes any difference.

how is the parking situation at TUCOM-NV? Are parking spaces difficult to find? How about traffic?

Plumber227 said:
Just got a call today from Roger saying that I was accepted for the class of 2010 so I guess that I'll be joining all you guys in 2 weeks. Is there anyone that is still looking for a roommate? It seems like all the 1 bedroom apartments around campus won't be available until a few weeks after school starts so I am still trying to figure something out. I am coming all the way from Michigan so I have no idea what to do. Also, how do I get access to that ezboard that everyone seems to be talking about. If you guys have any advice on anything, I would really appreciate it. 22/M if that makes any difference.

Hey there,

Email Roger Corbman - he is constantly sending us emails about people looking to rent rooms etc, and might know of current rooms for rent... If that doesn't work, get on our class ezboard - pm me on here if you need more information on what that is and how to get on the site.

Hope that helps, and congratulations on your acceptance!

yanon said:
how is the parking situation at TUCOM-NV? Are parking spaces difficult to find? How about traffic?

Fine. No, unless the parking lines have disappeared. :laugh: Yes, there is traffic since cars are going in and out of the business park, but no it's nothing like a shopping mall at Christmas time. :laugh:

You'll be fine...If you want a prime spot (near the door), you'll have to get to school by 7:30 - 7:40.

Any recommendation on laptops? The thing I am concern about is the laptop's lcd screen. Most of the laptops in Fry's Electronics and Bestbuy are HP, Toshiba, and Sony. These laptops' LCD uses "xtra brite" coating which makes the LCD appear glossy and reflects light (especially fluorescent light)like a mirror. I think the light reflection is an unintended side effect of the coating because it really strains a person's eyes if he or she looks at it for more than 30 minutes. Thus, I am looking at the Dell Duo Core (unfortunately, the Duo Core 2 is not available yet) laptop as a possible solution. Do you guys think that XGA resolution is okay or should I go for SXGA (UXGA is too fine, the text at normal font size can be too difficult to read)?

Housing,

I was checking out the local home price around Touro University. The average price for a condo/townhouse or a small single family home is about $270K and 330K, respectively. Do you guys think buying a home around Touro Univeristy is a worthwhile investment considering the average home price went from 130K in 2000 to 290K in 2005?

Books,

I searched for the required textbooks on Amazon. I discovered that most of the reviewers recommended other books such as physiology for board review, illustrated biochemistry, and netter's atlas. Is it okay that I purchase other textbooks in lieu of the required textbooks. Are there any books that I should hold off buying?

I really appreciate your guys advices. :D