Tufts 2008?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks...I'm going to miss Boston more, I'm sure...but I'll probably be back for lots of fourth year rotations... :p

Members don't see this ad.

Any new Tufts acceptances?

If you guys are coming to Tufts thinking Boston is going to be cool, you are mistaken. You will probably end up paying at least double what you would at other med schools, depending on your situation, as it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive to live in Boston and pay 41K in tuition on top of that. If you KNOW you like Boston already (ie went to college here, are from here), then I guess you know what you're getting into, but if you are from another part of the country and have never hung out in Boston for more than a few days, you are in for a big disappointment. Can't wait to get out of this city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rod Farva said:
If you guys are coming to Tufts thinking Boston is going to be cool, you are mistaken. You will probably end up paying at least double what you would at other med schools, depending on your situation, as it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive to live in Boston and pay 41K in tuition on top of that. If you KNOW you like Boston already (ie went to college here, are from here), then I guess you know what you're getting into, but if you are from another part of the country and have never hung out in Boston for more than a few days, you are in for a big disappointment. Can't wait to get out of this city.

Why do you need to say such negative things about a wonderful city? I currently live in Boston too, and I can't think of many places that I would rather be. It's fantastic. The only downside is the weather between January and April.

Tweed,
I agree with you. Boston is awesome. I wanted to know where this guy is going because it seems like Rob wants other Tufts waitlistees to drop their spot so that he can get in.

I'm not a pre-allo.... I go to Tufts, and I can't wait to leave. Don't care if you guys come here or not... just saying Boston is not for everyone. I was actually excited to move here initially, because I thought it would be a cool city, but it's been really disappointing so far, and I can't wait to get out of the northeast in general. I'm only saying that if you guys on the waitlist or whatever have multiple options and are not familiar with Boston, you might want to go somewhere else. Do what you will with that info, but I can tell you that it's not just me that doesn't like it here... pretty much everyone I know that had never lived in Boston before coming to med school has been pretty disappointed from what I can gather.

I really really want to move to the Northeast after I finish undergrad. Do you guys know if Tufts has lots of students from California? Also, I can't imagine the cost of living in Boston to be as high as the cost of living in the SF Bay Area...I'm paying $1300/month for a 1 bedroom apartment (shared with a roommate) in Berkeley...for those of you who are fortunate enough to have never visited Berkeley, CA...it's a ratty, disgusting slum and most of Bay Area is pretty much the same. After this month, I'll be sharing a 2 bedroom apartment for $1400/month so I suppose that's not as bad.

tobiko said:
I would highly recommend choosing where to live based on your commute. There is no bigger waste of time in Boston than waiting for a stupid, supremely unreliable bus or switching from train to train. Harvard Sq and Brookline would probably be around 45 minute commutes...

The closest is chinatown, of course, and if you're lucky you can find a pretty cheap place, albeit dumpy. There are some newish apartments in the area that are probably really expensive, but I haven't really looked into them. There's also the south end. The silverline (pseudo above ground subway) is really efficient but sometimes smelly. It runs along Washington St. South end prices are going to be similar to Back bay which is another decent option. from back bay you could take the orange line (Back BaY) or the green line. Kenmore's on the green line too and would be about 20 minute commute.

good luck scouting out places...check out boston.craigslist.org for apartment/roommate ads. It's a great site.

Jamaica Plain or Malden are also options because they are on the Orange Line which goes right to Tufts. That would put your commute at about 20 minutes.