This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. For whatever unfortunate reason, SDN moderators have removed my recent thread containing the link to a NEW VIDEO, detailing the immense progress in my life over the past two years. I'm not going to repost the link here so as to avoid causing them any further aneurysms, but if you visit the original "So, I Left Medical School" video, the link is there in the description. I'm aware that the subject matter is important to a vast number of people, and the truth is out. -RP :horns:
 
Hi everyone. For whatever unfortunate reason, SDN moderators have removed my recent thread containing the link to a NEW VIDEO, detailing the immense progress in my life over the past two years. I'm not going to repost the link here so as to avoid causing them any further aneurysms, but if you visit the original "So, I Left Medical School" video, the link is there in the description. I'm aware that the subject matter is important to a vast number of people, and the truth is out. -RP :horns:

I can watch both videos in this thread. The threads were merged, for good reason. I for one was beginning to suffer vertical nystagmus trying to keep up with your multi-threading.
 
It seems op left med school during second year debt free. That decision seems like a good one. I'm a bit into 3rd year and it's gotten ridiculously bad.

The surgeons complain about their life being hard, yet they expect the students to be there before them(5:00am), stay until they leave(10-11pm), and THEN do extra readings at home(which even the residents and attendings dont have to do). All the while they are making you do this, they also berate all the students and hold grades and evals hostage.

Screw medicine and screw surgeons. Their divorce rate and general reputation makes complete sense now. They are ****ty people and they get to take out their anger on med students. **** them.
 
It seems op left med school during second year debt free. That decision seems like a good one. I'm a bit into 3rd year and it's gotten ridiculously bad.

The surgeons complain about their life being hard, yet they expect the students to be there before them(5:00am), stay until they leave(10-11pm), and THEN do extra readings at home(which even the residents and attendings dont have to do). All the while they are making you do this, they also berate all the students and hold grades and evals hostage.

Screw medicine and screw surgeons. Their divorce rate and general reputation makes complete sense now. They are ****ty people and they get to take out their anger on med students. **** them.

Surgeons definitely have to do extra reading at home. Interns wake up at 430. You don't have to do surgery but get your fact straight.
 
Surgeons definitely have to do extra reading at home. Interns wake up at 430. You don't have to do surgery but get your fact straight.

I like how you're trying to blur the lines. We are given pages to read and deadlines to do them by. We have to cover Essentials of General Surgery (a 600 page book) in 8 weeks. They can't even get the deadlines right and pimp us on stuff we havent evne gotten to. I got home 40 minutes ago and I have another hour of reading to go before I have to wake up at fukking 4am.

Meanwhile the residents look at pestana or schwartz here and there while they're IN the hospital. not at home.

And doesnt matter what time interns wake up at. We're still there before them. 3 lates in 8 weeks will be a fail.
 
I like how you're trying to blur the lines. We are given pages to read and deadlines to do them by. We have to cover Essentials of General Surgery (a 600 page book) in 8 weeks. They can't even get the deadlines right and pimp us on stuff we havent evne gotten to. I got home 40 minutes ago and I have another hour of reading to go before I have to wake up at fukking 4am.

Meanwhile the residents look at pestana or schwartz here and there while they're IN the hospital. not at home.

And doesnt matter what time interns wake up at. We're still there before them. 3 lates in 8 weeks will be a fail.

Let me introduce you to my friend coffee. If you drink enough of him your sleep requirements drop down to around 4 hours per night!
 
It seems op left med school during second year debt free. That decision seems like a good one. I'm a bit into 3rd year and it's gotten ridiculously bad.

The surgeons complain about their life being hard, yet they expect the students to be there before them(5:00am), stay until they leave(10-11pm), and THEN do extra readings at home(which even the residents and attendings dont have to do). All the while they are making you do this, they also berate all the students and hold grades and evals hostage.

Screw medicine and screw surgeons. Their divorce rate and general reputation makes complete sense now. They are ****ty people and they get to take out their anger on med students. **** them.
Are you going to make a video too?
 
Hi everyone. For whatever unfortunate reason, SDN moderators have removed my recent thread containing the link to a NEW VIDEO, detailing the immense progress in my life over the past two years. I'm not going to repost the link here so as to avoid causing them any further aneurysms, but if you visit the original "So, I Left Medical School" video, the link is there in the description. I'm aware that the subject matter is important to a vast number of people, and the truth is out. -RP :horns:

The threads were merged, which if you had read the posts in your thread, I stated 2 posts above where you posted.

There was no need for a new thread with a video that I'm assuming addresses most of the things you wrote about in your first thread. The video could have just been posted in the thread you started 2 days before. So they were merged together. Quite simple really, no aneurysms were had.
 
I like how you're trying to blur the lines. We are given pages to read and deadlines to do them by. We have to cover Essentials of General Surgery (a 600 page book) in 8 weeks. They can't even get the deadlines right and pimp us on stuff we havent evne gotten to. I got home 40 minutes ago and I have another hour of reading to go before I have to wake up at fukking 4am.

Meanwhile the residents look at pestana or schwartz here and there while they're IN the hospital. not at home.

And doesnt matter what time interns wake up at. We're still there before them. 3 lates in 8 weeks will be a fail.

So clearly surgery isn't for you, then.
But I LOL'ed at the part where attendings and residents don't read at home. [emoji23] I read more now than I did as a resident, which was more than I read as a med student. Because if I don't know the latest work in my field, my patients pay the price.

Also, 600 pages/8 weeks = roughly 11 pages a day, less than a high school student's capabilities.

Since I have left residency, I routinely read about 20 journal articles a month. Even being generous and saying each article is 7 pages (they are usually 7-10), the least I read is 140 pages a month, and the most is 200. That's not for a single stretch of a rotation. That is every single month, in addition to full time clinical duty, working 80 hours a week and fielding patient calls, preparing for cases, etc.

Students have zero patient responsibility. Their job is to study. Pardon us for actually expecting them to.
 
Students have zero patient responsibility. Their job is to study. Pardon us for actually expecting them to.

I blame the PC culture. Pretty soon you won't be able to pimp the fragile batch of med students bc they will run to social media posting a video while crying about how their attending hurt them. I personally love the pimping aspect of clinicals! I think its hilarious when my preceptor would attempt to pimp me on some dumb factoid that he probably just looked up. But I bet you his level of respect for my clinical 'authoritah' increased to House MD levels after I quickly responded 'fibrinous necrosis secondary to hypertension' 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I blame the PC culture. Pretty soon you won't be able to pimp the fragile batch of med students bc they will run to social media posting a video while crying about how their attending hurt them. I personally love the pimping aspect of clinicals! I think its hilarious when my preceptor would attempt to pimp me on some dumb factoid that he probably just looked up. But I bet you his level of respect for my clinical 'authoritah' increased to House MD levels after I quickly responded 'fibrinous necrosis secondary to hypertension' 😉
And I blame the individual med students who aren't cut out for **** but will blame everything and anything else. I'm not the millennial stereotype and I have plenty of company in that
 
I secretly wonder if you post these videos on sdn as a form of advertisement to make money on YouTube. I'm no expert at this sort of thing and not sure how it works but sdn is a huge audience and isn't your video from YouTube? With enough views I would think they could generate some easy money lol.

I could be totally wrong and I don't fault you for it I'm right..

But If I'm right I'm going to start making videos like "hi I'm waking to the hospital today" "hi saw my first patient as a resident: he yelled at me" "decided to chill today and do nothing"

That's not meant to make fun of your videos btw. I'm just not sure I get your point, looking back now. Medical school is hard/stressful, if some people could leave I'm sure they would..but most probably couldn't quit if they wanted to. It's like jumping off a cliff without a parachute for most people.
 
So clearly surgery isn't for you, then.
But I LOL'ed at the part where attendings and residents don't read at home. [emoji23] I read more now than I did as a resident, which was more than I read as a med student. Because if I don't know the latest work in my field, my patients pay the price.

Also, 600 pages/8 weeks = roughly 11 pages a day, less than a high school student's capabilities.

Since I have left residency, I routinely read about 20 journal articles a month. Even being generous and saying each article is 7 pages (they are usually 7-10), the least I read is 140 pages a month, and the most is 200. That's not for a single stretch of a rotation. That is every single month, in addition to full time clinical duty, working 80 hours a week and fielding patient calls, preparing for cases, etc.

Students have zero patient responsibility. Their job is to study. Pardon us for actually expecting them to.

So I wish our jobs was to study. If that were it, that would be awesome.

Unfortunately, successfully navigating clinical years is so much more about honoring rotations at any cost which involves having to show up earlier, be happy to do the work no one else wants, stay later, smile and look pretty/happy, take ridiculous shelf exams, get LOR's, learn a new system every 4-6 weeks, suck up to everyone, piss off no one, etc.

Clinical years are like 95 percent politics, 5 percent medicine. For me, studying was the easy part.
 
So clearly surgery isn't for you, then.
But I LOL'ed at the part where attendings and residents don't read at home. [emoji23] I read more now than I did as a resident, which was more than I read as a med student. Because if I don't know the latest work in my field, my patients pay the price.

Also, 600 pages/8 weeks = roughly 11 pages a day, less than a high school student's capabilities.

Since I have left residency, I routinely read about 20 journal articles a month. Even being generous and saying each article is 7 pages (they are usually 7-10), the least I read is 140 pages a month, and the most is 200. That's not for a single stretch of a rotation. That is every single month, in addition to full time clinical duty, working 80 hours a week and fielding patient calls, preparing for cases, etc.

Students have zero patient responsibility. Their job is to study. Pardon us for actually expecting them to.

You get his point though, right? Third year grades determine the course of a student's career, and the grade that students receive on a rotation is based largely on their performance on a standardized test. However the amount of time they're given to study for that test isn't standardized. Surgery is usually the worst offender just because the gap between hard and easy services are so much wider than in, say, internal medicine. One student gets assigned bariatric surgery and gets the chance to do thousands of practice questions, while another student gets assigned Trauma and is lucky to finish case files. Attendings in Surgery also seem particularly oblivious about how they're impacting their students' careers by keeping them for 100 hours/week.

In residency, when you study, you are working to improve yourself. In MS3, when you study, you are competing against others. Its a very different problem, and requires a different strategy.
 
Last edited:
That is every single month, in addition to full time clinical duty, working 80 hours a week and fielding patient calls, preparing for cases, etc.

BTW you took a contract for 80 hours/week that doesn't include any admin or CME time? Is that 6 13 hour shifts a week? 5 16 hour shifts? How many true days off are you getting out of each 28 day stretch? Are you working overnights? Why did you agree to that?
 
Jesus, why so harsh toward the OP? Med school isn't for everyone and you don't have to bully those who aren't successful in it.

OP, glad you are better now. In a way, you will have a life different, and sometimes better, than those of us who continued on.

Watch 13 reason why, nerds. It's on netflix.


the harshest ones are the most pathetic.
 
She does talk about her weight gain in the video as a positive thing (about 4:34 in the video). So I think your comment was fine as an observation @68PGunner

Very interesting videos. Not a perspective we get to see every day so thanks for sharing in that regard OP!

You're disgusting.
 
Posting in May 2 years after dropping out of second year, which oddly coincides with when you'd graduate and be a doctor. I think OP is in a bit of denial about how great it was to drop out.

EDIT: Here's the smoking gun:



"Do I ever wish I could still be a doctor? Yes..."

So the reality here is that you didn't have what it takes to survive in medicine, and that's okay. Not everyone is meant to be a doctor. What is not okay is that you keep pretending like you're a-okay with everything. Also, I would recommend you go back to your psychiatrist (or find another one) because clearly you have some deeply rooted mental health problems.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP seriously, how dare you chose a different path in life and make us question ours? You should be ashamed.

In all seriousness though, this field is cancer. Glad you made it out, even if it was with a little help from mommy and daddy 😉
 
Lots of folks getting triggered by OP.

Dang ya'll, are we insecure or what?

If you are happy with your own decisions in life, who cares why OP is doing what she is doing and what it means about the field of medicine.

That was never the issue we had with OP. The issue was:

1) the OP cross-posted/reposted the same thing multiple times over the course of 2 years.

2) the OP stated that if she had a different circumstance, she would've chosen a different outcome which involved harming herself.

After seeing the second video she posted, it's absolutely crystal clear, she has some serious psychiatric issues that need to be addressed.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
That was never the issue we had with OP. The issue was:

1) the OP cross-posted/reposted the same thing multiple times over the course of 2 years.

2) the OP stated that if she had a different circumstance, she would've chosen a different outcome which involved harming herself.

After seeing the second video she posted, it's absolutely crystal clear, she has some serious psychiatric issues that need to be addressed.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It sounds like if anything she needs help and support, not being made fun of and verbally attacked.

Regarding threads and videos, let the mods take care of that stuff. You can always ignore the OP and never have to watch another video.
 
It sounds like if anything she needs help and support, not being made fun of and verbally attacked.

Regarding threads and videos, let the mods take care of that stuff. You can always ignore the OP and never have to watch another video.

That's not my decision to make either. When this was posted, we had no clue (nor do we now) what her mental health status actually is. All we know NOW is that there likely could be something that needs to addressed by a professional. In the meantime, people don't come to SDN for support or to be egged on, they come for the honest truth. The honest truth is, OP potentially has some mental health issues that need to be addressed, and OP needs to move on from SDN/YouTube.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Not really "imposed censorship", just that this thread outlived whatever usefulness it had and devolved into personal attacks.

We don't know that for sure. Thread has been active for less than a week.

Plus, "shutting it down" seems a bit unncessarily draconian.

Mods can moderate the TOS violating behavior as they have been.

No reason to punish everyone because of one or two bad apples.
 
Not really "imposed censorship", just that this thread outlived whatever usefulness it had and devolved into personal attacks.

I feel like it would be better for all parties involved if this thread were shut down

This is the internet for God's sake! People don't come to SDN to get their confidence boosted... they come for objectiveness. If they do come for the former I would strongly recommend Facebook or Instagram.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
If we throw our hands up in the air time and time again asking for a thread to be closed down, we are implicitly empowering would be trollers/thread derailers with the ability to control threads and discussion at will. Do we want to send the message that with enough ad hominem, any thread can be shut down?

I'd much rather we support our mods as they work to keep threads on the right path, by addressing TOS violating behavior, which I feel they have been really well in this thread.
 
If we throw our hands up in the air time and time again asking for a thread to be closed down, we are implicitly empowering would be trollers/thread derailers with the ability to control threads and discussion at will. Do we want to send the message that with enough ad hominem, any thread can be shut down?

I'd much rather we support our mods as they work to keep threads on the right path, by addressing TOS violating behavior, which I feel they have been really well in this thread.
At least now they are just banning people from specific threads rather than entirely or closing the thread. I guess that's progress.
 
This is getting out of hand. I'm being forced to disable notifications just because of this thread. Stop giving that stupid, emotionally unstable ***** any more attention. Let her do whatever the heck she wants with her stupid life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile app
Some people turn to SDN for support for these kinds of decisions, and the weird slew of emotions that comes with it. You turned off notifications, you should be satisfied. Nobody cares if you're annoyed.
 
Was leaving medical school really a choice if OP had already taken two LOAs and I am assuming not going to do well on the finals coming up due to personal issues coming up? I am assuming this was her last shot before administrative action.

I suppose one "chooses" to hand over ones belongings to a mugger at gun point as well.
 
Was leaving medical school really a choice if OP had already taken two LOAs and I am assuming not going to do well on the finals coming up due to personal issues coming up? I am assuming this was her last shot before administrative action.

I suppose one "chooses" to hand over ones belongings to a mugger at gun point as well.
Full disclosure, did not watch the videos through but as long as this loa business is actually true, there's no way this was a "choice." OP dropped out to avoid being kicked out
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some people turn to SDN for support for these kinds of decisions, and the weird slew of emotions that comes with it. You turned off notifications, you should be satisfied. Nobody cares if you're annoyed.
would agree with this. I find this mildly entertaining. Curious what the OP will say next.
 
BTW you took a contract for 80 hours/week that doesn't include any admin or CME time? Is that 6 13 hour shifts a week? 5 16 hour shifts? How many true days off are you getting out of each 28 day stretch? Are you working overnights? Why did you agree to that?

I address some of this in my AMA. Surgeons don't do shift work. My contract isn't hour based. This is cumulative amount of work I put in including patient care, admin, research and teaching. Does not include the stuff I do at home.
 
I address some of this in my AMA. Surgeons don't do shift work. My contract isn't hour based. This is cumulative amount of work I put in including patient care, admin, research and teaching. Does not include the stuff I do at home.
You are a beast. I can respect that, hustlin' for that money. 😉
 
I address some of this in my AMA. Surgeons don't do shift work. My contract isn't hour based. This is cumulative amount of work I put in including patient care, admin, research and teaching. Does not include the stuff I do at home.

I'm really curious what a paycheck from an ortho attending looks like... [scratches head and contemplates life]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile