U Of C To Review Plan To Eliminate ED Beds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eklipse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this in ACEP's Emergency Medicine Today? For those of you in Chicago, just curious about the details of this practice. How can they send patients to local clinics without violating EMTALA?

University of Chicago to rethink proposal to redirect patients from hospital's ED.

http://links.mkt739.com/servlet/Mai...r=MTM2MzgwOTk5OQS2&j=MTExMDE5MjAyS0&mt=1&rt=0

The Chicago Tribune (3/14, Japsen, Grotto) reported that on Friday, "University of Chicago President Robert Zimmer stepped into the fray...over a controversial proposal to redirect patients from the university hospital's emergency room, announcing steps to come up with 'a better plan.'" Zimmer, "in an internal memo obtained by the Tribune," said that "a committee led by Dr. Everett Vokes, the newly appointed chairman of the department of medicine, would 'review, refine, and modify' proposals initiated by the medical center's chief executive and dean of the medical school, Dr. Jim Madara." Zimmer's action "comes amid an intense debate that has been raging inside and outside the university since its announcement last month that it would eliminate beds in the University of Chicago Medical Center emergency room and redirect some patients to other facilities in the face of rising costs and long waits for emergency treatment."

"Hospital officials said the two-year-old initiative offers patients quicker and less expensive care at neighborhood clinics, rather than having to wait for hours at University of Chicago's emergency room," the AP (3/14) reported. But, "the program came under fire by national medical associations after the" Chicago "Tribune reported last month that a 12-year-old boy bitten by a pit bull was sent away from the medical center with only a shot and painkillers." Following that incident, Nick Jouriles, MD, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians, "said the hospital was trying to 'cherry pick' wealthy patients over poor." For its part, the "hospital last month said that it is eliminating emergency room beds and sending patients elsewhere because of rising costs and long waits."

Emergency physician organizations speak out against University of Chicago's ED plan. American Medical News (3/16, Hedger) reports that in February, "the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine...issued statements about a proposal to cut 30 inpatient beds at the" University of Chicago Medical Center, "including 10 of the 31" emergency department (ED) "beds. Both organizations feared that fewer ED beds may mean worse care for trauma patients." ACEP president Nick Jouriles, MD, stated, "This is a dangerous precedent that could have catastrophic effects in poor neighborhoods across the country," adding, "If other community nonprofit hospitals follow this example and shift the lion's share of resources to its high-revenue elective patients and procedures, it will leave many emergency patients virtually out in the cold." In addition, "ACEP criticized the medical center's policy toward emergency patients, saying it is dangerously close to the 'patient dumping' prohibited under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act."

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else see this in ACEP's Emergency Medicine Today? For those of you in Chicago, just curious about the details of this practice. How can they send patients to local clinics without violating EMTALA?

They would probably get a medical screening exam to be compliant with EMTALA. Once it's determined that they don't have a medical emergency, they can tell people to go to urgent care.

Off topic, but must be said: I love the new avatar GV.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the point of having a doomsday device if you don't tell anyone about it?

Well, since this thread has been hijacked into oblivion, then I can say this:

I think that no American should leave their college years behind without seeing 5 movies:

Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Logan's Run
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes.

When I talk to most 20-something-year-olds I am shocked by how culturally bereft they are, and generally can't remember any popular culture before 1992. That was when MTV and The Disney Channel destroyed America.

Thanks. Most people these days probably wouldn't know who it is....
Funny movie. I love the conversation between the RAF officer and the rogue base commander (from IMDB):

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen, tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
General Jack D. Ripper: Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, since this thread has been hijacked into oblivion, then I can say this:

I think that no American should leave their college years behind without seeing 5 movies:

Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Logan's Run
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes.

When I talk to most 20-something-year-olds I am shocked by how culturally bereft they are, and generally can't remember any popular culture before 1992. That was when MTV and The Disney Channel destroyed America.

A good friend of mine is an earth science teacher, and he joined with a biology teacher to do this great, wonderful thing around Halloween about why things were celebrated, and the scientific underpinnings, and, when he was talking about the "harvest moon", he put up a picture of the Death Star, and a girl said, "What's that?" He said it was like a knife in his heart.

Dr. Strangelove :thumbup:
Full Metal Jacket :thumbup:
Logan's Run
Soylent Green :thumbup:
Planet of the Apes. :thumbup:

I've got 4/5. Don't know Logan's Run though. Never heard of it...Good stuff, I'm guessing? Ironically, I was talking about Soylent Green with my resident today. "It's made out of peopleeeeeeeeeeee"!!

Loved FMJ. One of my all time faves.

I've got 4/5. Don't know Logan's Run though. Never heard of it...Good stuff, I'm guessing? Ironically, I was talking about Soylent Green with my resident today. "It's made out of peopleeeeeeeeeeee"!!

Loved FMJ. One of my all time faves.

When I use that "It's made out of people" line at work I just draw blank stares.

If you like those other movies Logan's Run is worth considering. The premise is that in the future everyone is killed at age 30 to prevent old people from wasting resources.

I love Logan's Run. I was just recently telling my wife that she has to see it. I actually saw it in the theater. I was ~7. My mom really wanted to see it and couldn't get a babysitter so she just took me to it. Not an appropriate movie for a 7 year old but I still like it.

I'm 4/5 too. I have never actually seen Soylent Green. I have seen the Omega Man though. Does that count for campy Charleton Heston?

What about Clockwork Orange?

I love Logan's Run. I was just recently telling my wife that she has to see it. I actually saw it in the theater. I was ~7. My mom really wanted to see it and couldn't get a babysitter so she just took me to it. Not an appropriate movie for a 7 year old but I still like it.

I'm 4/5 too. I have never actually seen Soylent Green. I have seen the Omega Man though. Does that count for campy Charleton Heston?

What about Clockwork Orange?

Yes, Soylent Green definitely qualifies as campy Heston.

Clockwork Orange is great too.

Anyone seen "The Prisoner" TV series fromt he 60's?

A 20 y/o now was 3 in 1992. That may have something to do with it. People still watch the classics, but as time goes on fewer movies survive, I guess.

I've only seen two of the five on your list, but those two are among my favorite movies (Dr. Strangelove and FMJ).

When I use that "It's made out of people" line at work I just draw blank stares.

The other problem is that as classic movies become incorporated into popular culture it's less rewarding when people finally see the original, since they've already heard so many references it seems cliched. (I think maybe I'm too tired to make sense anymore, but you probably know what I mean here.)

The other problem is that as classic movies become incorporated into popular culture it's less rewarding when people finally see the original, since they've already heard so many references it seems cliched. (I think maybe I'm too tired to make sense anymore, but you probably know what I mean here.)

I was also born after all of those movies were released, however I was exposed to them through family.

The problem now is that people see garbage like 2Fast 2Furious and think that's what passes for good cinema. IMO the stuff made 40 years ago is far superior. Just because you have CGI to make lots of stuff explode doesn't make a movie better. A prime example is the new Star Wars Trilogy.

I was also born after all of those movies were released, however I was exposed to them through family.

The problem now is that people see garbage like 2Fast 2Furious and think that's what passes for good cinema. IMO the stuff made 40 years ago is far superior. Just because you have CGI to make lots of stuff explode doesn't make a movie better. A prime example is the new Star Wars Trilogy.

You're making a common mistake, which is to compare the very best of the past with everything today. There are still great movies being made today (have you seen There Will Be Blood or Gran Torino?) but of course most are crap. Remember that most movies made 40 years ago were also crap, but there's no reason you would have seen them.

In an attempt to get back on track (Well one last anecdote! My 22 year old date the other night had no idea who Oasis was GASP!!!!)

I have to say I don't disagree with what UC is doing. Yes maybe it is not ideal, and yes it may not be doing a service to the underserved, but what are you really going to fix for them in a three hour emergency visit anywho?

A little push back against the feds with their unfunded mandate is a good thing, especially in Dear Leader's back yard. If %30 of the people through the door have no emergent conditions (as quoted in the medscape article) why not push them out into the community so that the pressure builds for an effective primary care system.

I propose the feds staff urgent care/primary care type clinics in public schools and charge people $10 copays for visits. No appointments, all walk-ins. Staff them with NP's and one supervising MD (Offering loan forgiveness or tax breaks for service). Figure that most large inner city schools can have anywhere between 500 and 3000 students, multiple that by 2 or 3 for effective family members and you are serving anywhere between 1500 and 9000 people in their own neighborhoods. The infrastructure is already there for poor people with limited transport and daycare options, they can make their own electronic records and it would keep medicaid patients out of the ED.

Could probably slap the whole thing together for the cost of just the AIG bailout of 180 billion and counting.

Just a thought

Oasis...can you freaking believe that....

...Don't know Logan's Run though. Never heard of it...Good stuff, I'm guessing?...
Carousel! Carousel!

Random coincidence: I first watched Logan's Run during my MS1 year. During MS2 had some ethics classes and our teacher was a hospital admin, who in a former career starred as one of the Sandmen!

When the admin told us, a classmate said that there's a good chance he was concieved during a drive-in viewing of Logan's Run.