U of Mich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

ckrupan

Is anyone going to U of Mich next year or have interviewed there? I want to know what you guys think of this school (pluses and minuses). Is it comparable to schools like UCSF? I know that U of Mich has an excellent reputation, but I want to make sure that they have a solid program. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I interviewed there, was accepted, and since it's my state school, that's were I'll be next year. I'll try to answer everthing as best I can. Pluses: reputation, solid facilities, lots of research $$ and opportunites if you're interested, curriculum (vertical clinics, externships and rotations), good specialty placement (I have the #s from last year if you don't), I like most of the faculty (I work there so I know a bunch of them), Ann Arbor is a good place to live. Minuses: there's only really 2 I can think of. 1. cost if your out of state. You can forget about getting residency, it doesn't happen. 2. Preclinics. They're old to say the least. They've designed their own simulation clinic that most schools are now going to but the dean has to release $3 mil to pay for it all. They told us at our interview that there's a chance they'll have them ready for next year (read: we won't but we're not going to tell you that), but more likely the year after (I give it a 50/50 chance). But then again, students have been getting by in those preclinics for years (literally) and it hasn't really hurt the school, it's just one of those things that you have to deal with no matter where you go to school. If you have more detailed questions, go ahead and email me.

Brent

Oh yeah, other things I forgot (sorry I just finished an exam so I'm a little out of it). It is comparable to UCSF from what I've heard (I acutally spent a summer at UCSF since I have a faculty member on faculty) but I can't say for sure since I'm going to cancel my Jan. interview there since I'm going to U of M. If you look back at some earlier posts, I think some people gave their opinions of UCSF after interviewing there. Some said, and I've heard much of the same, that it's very competitive and has a rather strong gunner mentality. UM used to, although it varied by class, but they changed some things this year to prevent that. They've gotten rid of class rankings they first 2 years so you don't find out till D3 year. My friends who are there as D1s really like that set up and say that it has really helped their class be closer, more friendly, and generally the entire experience is better. The only real difference in my opinion is the cost, do what puts you in the least debt because that will make a huge difference in a wide variety of areas in your post-graduate life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what kind of GPA and DAT scores an out-of-stater should have for U of Mich? Also, how many out-of-staters do they accept? I couldn't find this info on their web page.

You'd be best of to check the book that lists all the admissions requirements and stats for each school. From my experience, getting all 20's and having a 3.5+ should give you a really good shot. Obviously this all changes based on in-state vs out-state but I'd say that those numbers are pretty fair from most of the people I've met.

I just finished my first semester at Michigan and I can't picture myself anywhere else. The best part is the people. I couldn't have made it through without my classmates and the faculty. We have a lot of fun. It is true the preclinics need updating but I'm getting by fine with the way they are now. Don't expect them to have new ones that quick. Maybe they'll have them by the time I graduate. They are in the process of raising money I think. I don't know much about the other schools but we get up in the clinic in October helping out. They put the handpiece in our hands the 2nd week of school and we have already done some anterior composites. The worst part of the semester was finals. It was very draining. If you want to have a nice life outside of dental school Michigan is the place to be.

I'll agree 20s and 3.5 are very good for out of state but you can get in with less especially if you are in state. Or if you are from a very strong undergrad school out of state. I'd say the majority of my class is from Michigan but there are plenty of out of staters too. It is very spread out too. One or two from all over.

Ira,

Yes, I agree with you regarding the stats (and I'm also out-of-state). I'm very glad to hear the viewpoints from a U of M student. This whole process has been very difficult, but the more I learn about U of M, the better. Thanks Ira for sharing your experience with us. Another question that I have is that in your 3rd year, if you want to see patients 5 days out of the week, do you have enough support from the faculty and enough patients to see????

I JUST MADE AN APPOINTEMENT TO INTERVIEW AT MICHIGAN!!! CAN YOU GUYS TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT? WHAT TYPE OF QUESTIONS THEY ASK AND WHAT THE INTERVIEW CONSIST OF! THANKS!!

Michigan's interview is very simple and informal. You will be talking to a faculty member during lunch. My interview was very short, around 15 minutes, but it did not matter since I got accepted to Michigan.

You will be writing a short essay in the morning. Our question was "What was the most difficult decision you had to make in your life"--they give you about 20 mintues to write.
Good luck to you. Go Bruins!

The michigan interview is really easy. I wouldn't worry too much. Just be up on the hot topics in dentistry. Insurance and the surgeon general's report on dentistry, it talked about lack of access to dental care.
About seeing patients 5 times a week. I'm only into my first year and I don't have first hand knowledge of how many patient my friends are treating. I've been too busy to ask. One or two I have helped seem busy and are trying to fit in 2 and 3 patients in an afternoon to get requirements in. I know I'll be in clinic twice a week starting next fall doing easy procedures they refer to me(cleaning, sealants, class 1 amalgam, maybe some easy composites). I think it is all what you make of it. The faculty is very supportive at every level. But if all you want to do is have more patients than you know what to do with and you don't care about your quality of life outside of school Michigan might not be the place for you.

Ira,

I've heard that you're only assigned to clinic twice a week as a third year...so just wanted to make sure if you want to see patients all 5 days like other 4-year schools, that the opportunity was available for them. U of M has a really strong research program, but I've heard that they are weak clinically. I want to take the CA boards after I graduate and want to make sure I pass the boards...I've heard that many out-of-state students have a hard time passing the CA boards. I have family and friends in MI and I'm sure that I won't be in school 24/7 (hope not!!!) :) I definitely do plan on having a life outside of school while learning as much as I can. I think U of M also has a very nice college atmosphere to it. BTW, do you know when the campus opens up again??? I am thinking about visiting the school one more time. Thanks!

Cali, I know us undergrads go back on the 7th and I think the dental students do as well. If you're looking for a good weekend to come here, I'd reccommend MLK weekend. We have a 3 day weekend since we have MLK monday off so it's usually pretty fun here then. It's short notice but if you can I'd try and come then. Also, we (the undergrads) have an extremely early spring break, it's late February through the first week of March so avoid then if you can.