Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
USofA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
So, as I understand it one needs to have lived in Washington state for a year prior to applying in order to be considered a Washington state resident. But as far as chances for admission, does it matter whether one has lived in Washington for 1 year or 25 years? As far as demonstrating a commitment to the health care needs of the state, it seems like the latter should hold more weight. Does anyone have any experience or comments on this? Thanks :)

Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
USofA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cydney Foote
UW SOM does have a stated preference for WWAMI (Washington-Wyoming-Alaska-Montana-Idaho) residents. There was a recent thread on this:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40753&highlight=WWAMI

Sorry, maybe I didn't make my question clear enough. I plan to already be a Washington state resident at the time of applying to med school. However, I will be have been a resident of the state for ONLY ONE YEAR prior to applying. **Would U of Washington view this as any different from me having lived in Washington most of my life? Thanks again.

About the Ads

otter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I don't think it should matter too much, as long as you meet the state residency requirement. The adcom's focus will probably be more on how committed and well thought-out your ambitions in medicine are. I interviewed twice at UWSOM. While there was an immense pressure put on me to elucidate why I want to become a doctor, whether/not I was "committed" to Washington state never really came up.

otter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Samoa
Oh yeah, and if you got a driver's license and/or bank account in Washington within a month of establishing residency.

why are you guys having such rough time understanding yhe poor OP's question?! :rolleyes:

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads