1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

U of Washington residency question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Skye04, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, as I understand it one needs to have lived in Washington state for a year prior to applying in order to be considered a Washington state resident. But as far as chances for admission, does it matter whether one has lived in Washington for 1 year or 25 years? As far as demonstrating a commitment to the health care needs of the state, it seems like the latter should hold more weight. Does anyone have any experience or comments on this? Thanks :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, maybe I didn't make my question clear enough. I plan to already be a Washington state resident at the time of applying to med school. However, I will be have been a resident of the state for ONLY ONE YEAR prior to applying. **Would U of Washington view this as any different from me having lived in Washington most of my life? Thanks again.

5. otter

otter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think it should matter too much, as long as you meet the state residency requirement. The adcom's focus will probably be more on how committed and well thought-out your ambitions in medicine are. I interviewed twice at UWSOM. While there was an immense pressure put on me to elucidate why I want to become a doctor, whether/not I was "committed" to Washington state never really came up.

6. otter

otter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

why are you guys having such rough time understanding yhe poor OP's question?! :rolleyes: