U of Washington residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as I understand it one needs to have lived in Washington state for a year prior to applying in order to be considered a Washington state resident. But as far as chances for admission, does it matter whether one has lived in Washington for 1 year or 25 years? As far as demonstrating a commitment to the health care needs of the state, it seems like the latter should hold more weight. Does anyone have any experience or comments on this? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cydney Foote
UW SOM does have a stated preference for WWAMI (Washington-Wyoming-Alaska-Montana-Idaho) residents. There was a recent thread on this:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40753&highlight=WWAMI

Sorry, maybe I didn't make my question clear enough. I plan to already be a Washington state resident at the time of applying to med school. However, I will be have been a resident of the state for ONLY ONE YEAR prior to applying. **Would U of Washington view this as any different from me having lived in Washington most of my life? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it should matter too much, as long as you meet the state residency requirement. The adcom's focus will probably be more on how committed and well thought-out your ambitions in medicine are. I interviewed twice at UWSOM. While there was an immense pressure put on me to elucidate why I want to become a doctor, whether/not I was "committed" to Washington state never really came up.

Originally posted by Samoa
Oh yeah, and if you got a driver's license and/or bank account in Washington within a month of establishing residency.

why are you guys having such rough time understanding yhe poor OP's question?! :rolleyes: