UAB Officially 1-3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that UAB will be a 1-3 program, there was concern that they wouldn't be able to take a full class of residents this year, and not participate in ERAS, but they found out that they will be able to take 8 this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome. When is that gonna show up on ERAS? I think it still says 2-4. Will they contact us letting us know this some time?

Thanks for posting this. Not sure when it will show up in ERAS but it should be soon. We'll be updating our website in the near future. Everyone here is excited about both the new format and the additional spots to go through the match this year. If any of you have any questions about the program feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hercules-
Any word on what the curriculum will be like? Are peds shifts incorporated into each month? How much trauma do you get down there?

Just Curious..

Say there is someone advanced match to start with UAB next year as a PGY2; and they are currently doing their 'prelim' year somewhere.

Why should they stay in the prelim year? Shouldn't they just 'quit' and relax or kick it the rest of the year? I am just wondering how a program handles that?

Hey guys - i'm an R2 at UAB. First of all, when the next class of R2s matched, the format was 2-4, and this is how they matched and their funding is set up. Second, if they were to quit, they wouldn't have a job for the year, and would not be paid, not to mention leaving their fellow interns holding the bag for the work. Third, they would have to re-enter ERAS in order to fill one of the new intern spots. They are counted in our resident complement for 08-09 as an R2, not as an R1. To start next year as an R2, the intern year is required per the RRC-EM.

I hope everyone takes a look at our program. We have an amazing facility, the curriculum is going to continue to be great. We do plenty of trauma as part of our trauma rotations and during our community rotation in Montgomery, a level 2 trauma center. Our peds experience is a strong point, as you do a dedicated month as an intern and then shifts are mixed in with ED shifts during the other 2 years. We also do a PICU (3 wks) rotation and a NICU rotation (2 wks). The Children's Hospital of Alabama is staffed with Peds EM boarded faculty, and has a volume of about 65K. LOTS of kids! If you're into research, our program is one of the top EM departments in the nation as far as NIH funding. Strong points are ultrasound, disaster, toxicology, peds, stroke, cards. We are planning a new chest pain center in the next year, as our assistant program director is fellowship-trained in cardiovascular emergencies (UVa). We have a terrific faculty, great schedules (8s on weekdays, 12s on weekends, 2 weekends off per block), and because UAB is a national leader in medicine, peds, OB/Gyn, neuro, ortho trauma, your off service rotations are taught by the best. Our new program director is amazing (insists we call him Andy and plays foosball with us in the call room); he is a Birmingham native and plans to retire here. Birmingham is a great city. Buy a house here for what your friends are spending on a 1,000 sqft apartment in Manhattan. Plenty to do, from outdoor activities to great restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We are a million population metro, so lots of volume and pathology. We are a friendly group (it's the South) and are extremely excited to have new interns and are looking forward to working with our new R2s next year. So - come check us out!!

Hey guys - i'm an R2 at UAB. First of all, when the next class of R2s matched, the format was 2-4, and this is how they matched and their funding is set up. Second, if they were to quit, they wouldn't have a job for the year, and would not be paid, not to mention leaving their fellow interns holding the bag for the work. Third, they would have to re-enter ERAS in order to fill one of the new intern spots. They are counted in our resident complement for 08-09 as an R2, not as an R1. To start next year as an R2, the intern year is required per the RRC-EM.

I hope everyone takes a look at our program. We have an amazing facility, the curriculum is going to continue to be great. We do plenty of trauma as part of our trauma rotations and during our community rotation in Montgomery, a level 2 trauma center. Our peds experience is a strong point, as you do a dedicated month as an intern and then shifts are mixed in with ED shifts during the other 2 years. We also do a PICU (3 wks) rotation and a NICU rotation (2 wks). The Children's Hospital of Alabama is staffed with Peds EM boarded faculty, and has a volume of about 65K. LOTS of kids! If you're into research, our program is one of the top EM departments in the nation as far as NIH funding. Strong points are ultrasound, disaster, toxicology, peds, stroke, cards. We are planning a new chest pain center in the next year, as our assistant program director is fellowship-trained in cardiovascular emergencies (UVa). We have a terrific faculty, great schedules (8s on weekdays, 12s on weekends, 2 weekends off per block), and because UAB is a national leader in medicine, peds, OB/Gyn, neuro, ortho trauma, your off service rotations are taught by the best. Our new program director is amazing (insists we call him Andy and plays foosball with us in the call room); he is a Birmingham native and plans to retire here. Birmingham is a great city. Buy a house here for what your friends are spending on a 1,000 sqft apartment in Manhattan. Plenty to do, from outdoor activities to great restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We are a million population metro, so lots of volume and pathology. We are a friendly group (it's the South) and are extremely excited to have new interns and are looking forward to working with our new R2s next year. So - come check us out!!

ummm yeah but are you in manhattan? hah joking. I'm at a different program but did my med school there and rotations in ED there and to vouch, it is a nice program!

Thanks, Mary Jane. That was an impressive synopsis. So impressive that I just added UAB to my ERAS:D. Looking forward to seeing it for myself.

Here is another review of UAB that I recently placed on scutwork.com (it is currently being reviewed for posting). It reiterates a lot of the points made by my fellow residents. I'd be happy to entertain any questions also. PM me.
Visit our website here.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham's emergency medicine residency program has been around since 2000. It has undergone many changes since its inception, but it is now starting to settle in as a premiere southern location to train in emergency medicine. We have just been APPROVED to convert from a PGY2-4 program to a PGY1-3 program. We will be interviewing our first class of 8 interns this November through ERAS.

Residents work an average of 55 hours a week, once you include our 4 weekly hours of lecture. Shifts are 8 hours M-F, 12 hours on weekends. Because we work weekend 12s, every resident gets 2 weekends off / month. Also, the PGY3s and 4s typically will get one 3-day weekend off / month. In a typical ED month, 28-day block:

PGY2s work 19 shifts:
- 16 UED eights
- 3 UED twelves

PGY3s work 19 (easier) shifts:
- 11 UED eights
- 3 UED twelves
- 2 EMS ride-along eights
- 3 Peds ED eights

PGY4s work 17 shifts:
- 11 eights
- 3 twelves
- 3 Peds ED eights

*After the format change the number of shifts for interns will be roughly the same as those listed here for PGY2s.

A typical day begins in the "rounds room," where all oncoming and offgoing residents meet to discuss an interesting patient or two. The offgoing senior resident and attending usually give a "pearl," then everyone breaks to their respective work assignments. The emergency department at UAB is divided into varying pods according to patient acuity; each pod is between 9-12 beds. There are separate pods for urgent care (covered by one attending - we never have to work here) and trauma (covered by trauma team: 2 EM residents on team / month). There is usually one EM resident / pod, with rotating residents helping out in the lower level's pod as well. PGY2s starting out are expected to carry at least half a pod, slowly graduating to a full pod by themselves as a mid-year PGY-2. Attendings will see patients on their own to facilitate ED flow.

Workload includes taking checkout from the offgoing resident ASAP after rounds to get them home. Each patient encounter is dictated by the resident. PGY-3s begin to take checkout from medical students and rotating interns. PGY-3s and 4s carry an airway pager that receives trauma alerts (shock trauma). They respond to the trauma bay to cover the airway. Every resident carries a wireless phone for consult calls.

There is little to no scutwork here. All IVs started by nurses, techs to transport, RTs manage vents. After having worked at The Med in Memphis, Grady in Atlanta, and Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga - I can confidently say that the ancillary staff at UAB is second to none. This ED has the feel of a community hospital, with the patient mix of both a well respected tertiary care transplant and trauma center as well as your typical county indigent population.

Off service rotations for the PGY2s include: Anesthesia, OB/GYN, Trauma, PedsED, Ortho, MICU, and Cardiology. PGY3s have Toxicology, Ophthalmology/NICU, PICU, community ED rotation in Montgomery, and an Elective. PGY4s have the same Montgomery rotation, a Research/Administration month, a senior Trauma rotation, and 2 Elective months. UAB's other residencies are nationally known and well respected - our off service education is fantastic.

Teaching

We have an ever growing core faculty at UAB. Over the past few years we have added an average of 3 faculty / year. The eldest faculty is a well seasoned IM trained doc who was practicing EM before it was its own specialty. We are getting some young energetic attendings just out of residency – several from Charity, Emory, and UVA. All faculty are interested in resident education, teaching on the fly at the bedside. There are a growing number of faculty who will sit down in the middle of a busy shift to give you a “mini-lecture” on a pertinent EM topic. Didactic education occurs during our weekly lecture series, on Wednesday mornings. Lasting 4 hours, this lecture time is 100% protected. Lectures are very high quality, and typically interactive. Of course, core EM topics are covered in detail with a slant toward current evidenced based medicine. Literature-based lectures occur monthly, including a two-hour journal club hosted by a different attending each month. We frequently have collaborative lectures with the MICU, trauma, pediatrics, radiology, neurology, and cardiology. Each month we cover a topic in Tintinalli and go over board questions. We also do oral review cases for the upper level residents in front of an audience (to simulate the stress of oral boards). Just recently UAB has converted and old MICU into a simulation lab, with $100k patient simulators on which residents can perform procedures (intubate, central lines, pericardiocentesis, cricothyrotomy, etc) and run codes (EKGs / chest compressions etc). Our goal is for our residents to run simulation codes once every 2 months.

Atmosphere

Residents have a close sense of camaraderie. After meeting for weekly lectures we all have lunch together (typically sponsored). Monthly planned outings at local restaurants and pubs and monthly nighttime journal clubs bring us together. Many attending will come to these events as well, some will ask you out for a beer after your evening shift. Last year we had our first-ever resident retreat. Everyone was given 36 hours free from all clinical duties, and we all spent the day at a lakehouse. This really brought a sense of cohesiveness to the residents. We are in the mist of planning this year’s retreat, which the faculty wholeheartedly support. About half the residency is married, some with children. I have developed lifelong friendships with a few of my fellow residents. Our residents come from all around the states including many from the southeast, California, Michigan, and West Virginia to name a few. While UAB does accept IMG applications, we currently only have US graduated residents. UAB’s physical plant is fantastic. A new state of the art emergency department was built a few years ago, and officially opened in November 2004. The setup for each pod is a central desk: one side has 4 computers for the nurses and desk clerks, and one side has 4 computers for the physicians. There are consult nooks with computers for admitting residents. The central desk is surrounded by 9-12 rooms. There is a psych room, ortho room with a C-arm, a medical resuscitation bay, an OB delivery room with warmer, and 6 trauma bays. Many people think of the old south when they think of Birmingham, but what they do not realize is that it is really quite progressive. There is affordable housing on a resident’s salary, some great nightlife in 5-Points, and some incredible eateries. There are great family neighborhoods in Hoover and Homewood, with several neighborhoods for young artsy intellectuals in the Highlands area. Atlanta is just 2 hours to the east, Chattanooga 2 hours to the north, and San Destin beach Florida is a short 4 hour hop away. With 2 weekends off per month and many light off-service rotations, many residents have time to do some moonlighting. There are several single and double covered EDs within easy driving distance of Birmingham where residents can moonlight to make some extra money – easily doubling their monthly income. Also at UAB is a unique in-house moonlighting opportunity called critical care transport. The service includes 3 EMS trucks and 2 fixed wing jets that serve to transport critically ill patients between hospitals. Residents can moonlight on this service, providing critical procedures and medical care to one patient per trip.

Conclusion

Past residents who have graduated have taken faculty positions, joined lucrative community EM practices across the US, and one recently completed a prestigious EM cardiology fellowship at UVA. There is ample opportunity to do research and publish papers, and also to write review articles or book chapters. For those interested in a fellowship after residency, UAB currently offers a critical care fellowship and a research fellowship. Overall, I feel my EM education at UAB has struck the perfect balance between book smarts and clinical relevance. After seeing many southern EM residencies including CMC and Emory, UAB was my #1 choice in the match. If I had to do it all over again, I would, without a doubt, select UAB. This is a program that really is going places. One major advantage to UAB is that it is young enough that residents still have a major say in the shape of things to come, and old enough that all the major kinks have been ironed out. I would certainly welcome any questions about what we have to offer at UAB.
b

I am so excited you guys switched formats. It seems like a smart move that it will increase your applicant pool. I did not apply initially because of the 2-4 format but added you as soon as I found out about the switch. The program sounds great.

Hey, I heard there was some discussion about UAB EM so I thought I'd check it out. I'm a PGY4 at UAB EM. I saw some questions so I thought I might as well answer some i saw.

1. The peds shifts at Children's Hospital (one of the busiest in the country, also staffed by awesome peds EM fellows) are incorporated amongst your shifts in the Univ ED, not in separate blocks. We also do neonatal resusc rotation in the NICU, and peds ICU.

2. The new curriculum is in the works as we speak. Come interview and we'll tell you all about it!

3. Someobody asked about trauma - plenty of trauma. I'm sick of trauma and I haven't even done my senior trauma month. We get trauma in three arenas. First in the main ED we see all non-"shock" trauma (i.e. low to moderate MVCs, GSW to extremities, etc.). Then on our dedicated trauma months we do all shock trauma (we call them trauma "alerts"). Finally, our "community" rotation happens to be at a level II facility were all the traumas are just us, no surgery residents etc. The one trauma surgeon only comes down for the real clusters and then stands at the back of the room while you and sometimes the EM attending do everything. Several of our people have done thoracotomies at our "community rotation." I just left there and one day my five-foot nothing sixty-something year old attending who's been doing it for forty years said "Hey, we got a trauma coming in, it sounds like he's dying, you got it?" I said "Sure," and he smiled and walked off. No problem, right? ABCs. Of course, he was right outside if I needed him. Good times, good times. Oh, also we do all the trauma airways.

This is going to be a really fun year next year and i'm sad to miss it. To clarify, we'll be starting 16 new residents 8 PGY1s and 8 PGY2s. I don't forsee this to be problematic at all, but rather really fun. It's going to be crazy and we're all really really excited. Those cats are going to have a kickass resident retreat! We need more residents - we are BUSY! BTW, we're also hiring several additional attendings. I think one of them is a wilderness med type. Also we're starting a chest pain center led by one of our grads who did an emergency cardiology fellowship and came back. Awesome guy. Everything is growing here.

Also of note, almost all of us are moonlighting in our last two years. This is controversial in the field of EM, so i'll say it here unofficially. There are a LOT of places to do it around here. It's an invaluable experience to be on your own as the only doctor in a little ED (or in the entire hospital) in the middle of the night out in Nowhere AL. when the grits hit the fan. Some hair raising stories there. Remember, future employers consider this a VERY important experience!! It builds both confidence and humility at the same time. But this is TOTALLY unconnected to the program. You do it only if you want to and on your own. Oh incidentally, you can nearly double your salary with 2 shifts a month:)

Just apply, come, eat BBQ, interview. See our awesome new ED. It's a good time.

A.M.

Does any of the current EM residents at UAB consider the change to a 1-3 format a bit disrespectful to them, who have worked hard for a year during internship under the pretext that it was useful to their training? As someone who matched into a 2-4, and is now suffering my dues during internship, I know I'd find it tough to swallow if my program suddenly switched to a 1-3, and I was to work alongside interns next year. A change to 1-4 is understandable, at least the overall length is the same.

Does any of the current EM residents at UAB consider the change to a 1-3 format a bit disrespectful to them, who have worked hard for a year during internship under the pretext that it was useful to their training? As someone who matched into a 2-4, and is now suffering my dues during internship, I know I'd find it tough to swallow if my program suddenly switched to a 1-3, and I was to work alongside interns next year. A change to 1-4 is understandable, at least the overall length is the same.

That's a great question and while I can't speak for every resident here, I think most if not all of us are pretty excited about the change and feel like it is a step forward for the program. I don't find it disrespectful. I wanted us to go to a 1-3 format the year I was applying, and now as an R3 I still want us to be a 1-3 format. I don't really believe in the 2-4 format. I believed in UAB's program so I ranked it numebr one despite the 2-4 format. Do I think I gained experiences and knowledge during my intern year? Absolutely. But do I think that year was neccessary to complete before starting my EM training? Absolutely not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an R2 who did a year of EM at a 1-3 program last year and transferred back for family reasons. I am really excited about the new R2s AND having interns next year. As an R2, they will still have a leg up on the interns, but I know it's frustrating that you were only a year or two ahead of the change. But we knew what we were getting into, and I think this will only make our program better. We've been trying to make a change for a while now, and it's finally happened!
:thumbup:

Hey guys, I'm one of the interns doing my preliminary year before starting at UAB EM next year as an R2. I just wanted to weigh in on this discussion. First of all, I'll be honest, it was tough to swallow the news about the format change, but I got over it in about 24 hours. I was not a proponent of the 4 year format then, nor am i now, but I ranked UAB #1 because I rotated there during my 4th year and thought it was an awesome program and, at that time, in my opinion the best kept secret in emergency medicine. I have no regrets whatsoever. Now, with the format change, the secret is out!!

I could write a long review about the residents, faculty, facilities and city, but let my plug for UAB be summed up by saying: I liked this program so much after my away rotation and interview that it was well worth the extra year to me.

As for people feeling sorry for my class and asking "what are they going to do?". Well, for starters, I'm gonna keep going to work everyday and continue to try to master EKGs, ACS, intubation, plain film reading skills, etc., etc. It would be a waste of time to sit around and feel sorry for myself, agreed?

So, come check out the program, you won't regret it. I recommend eating at Broadway Barbeque in Homewood and getting a bbq spud. Later taters.

I haven't heard anything from UAB yet and am very interested in the program. Does anyone know if they have started offering interviews in full force yet? There doesn't seem to be many people on this board who have received interviews but I wasn't sure if that meant anything. For anyone in the know, is it too early to call and check on my application status?

If you're really interested, give Linda or Andy a holler. It can't hurt and I know they are still going through apps. Good luck this year and hope I get to see you in the next couple of months!

I would advise you and anyone else who is interested to defintiely call. I think we're running a little behind our normal schedule as a result of the format change this year.

Thanks for the replys. I received my invite today so I will be seeing you guys in a couple of weeks!

gotta love Dr. Shaw, just don't leave food laying around.

i did my medicine intern year there, and its true about shaw, he'll eat stuff thats even been laying around the ED!! but i can't say too much funny stuff about him, he showed me how to do a good number of procedures!

i did my medicine intern year there, and its true about shaw, he'll eat stuff thats even been laying around the ED!! but i can't say too much funny stuff about him, he showed me how to do a good number of procedures!

I am SO looking forward to my Montgomery rotations! ;)

MJ, did you transfer? Could have sworn you were at another place last year...

MJ, did you transfer? Could have sworn you were at another place last year...

Yes - family issues. I miss all my peeps where I was last year, but I'm so happy here back in Bama. :D