UC Applicants: Post updates here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by mystic_b
Heh, I didn't even know the committee met on Thursdays. And who's Deanna Moon? An admissions lady? I guess I didn't learn much on my visit there. :confused:
Don't you have a UCSF interview coming up? Best of luck on that one. Iit's a wonderful place.
And let me add a big congrats to dpy here too! :clap:
Deanna is the interview coordinator--she came out to greet us & introduce herself. She was actually the friendliest person there, and that helped since they didn't really have an organized "welcome".

It's so weird to compare the atmosphere of UCLA to Drew, even though Drew is a joint program. Though the facilities are not as spectacular at Drew, the staff, professors & students are so warm & friendly--I finished the interview day feeling totally in love w/ the program. On the other hand, w/ UCLA, the reception from the admissions office was not as warm & it felt more like "you're on your own". I hope that the impression I got from visiting UCLA was more of a reflection of the stress of finals week (when i was there). I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this also or had similar impressions?

Members don't see this ad.

even tho it was "unorganized" as some claim, the ucla interview i felt was the most convenient. u didnt have to live up to a strict whole day schedule! i toured the campus on my own and met ppl and basically had fun. im sure my dartmouth one wont be so chill

Originally posted by Nefertari
Deanna is the interview coordinator--she came out to greet us & introduce herself. She was actually the friendliest person there, and that helped since they didn't really have an organized "welcome".

It's so weird to compare the atmosphere of UCLA to Drew, even though Drew is a joint program. Though the facilities are not as spectacular at Drew, the staff, professors & students are so warm & friendly--I finished the interview day feeling totally in love w/ the program. On the other hand, w/ UCLA, the reception from the admissions office was not as warm & it felt more like "you're on your own". I hope that the impression I got from visiting UCLA was more of a reflection of the stress of finals week (when i was there). I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this also or had similar impressions?

Sorry, I didn't apply to Drew, so I can't provide any feedback. But I will say that my UCLA interview day was pretty different from yours - nobody came out to greet us at all from the admissions office, other than the students giving us the tour. I just checked in, was given my interview time/location, and told to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got the official denied letter from ucla last week...but its ok...cuz ucsf decided to show me some love...plus from speaking to other ppl and just reading what others have posted i think i am better off not at ucla...most of the ppl dont seem happy...but maybe i am mistaken in my impression of the school

Originally posted by ComplexPuzzle
i got the official denied letter from ucla last week...but its ok...cuz ucsf decided to show me some love...plus from speaking to other ppl and just reading what others have posted i think i am better off not at ucla...most of the ppl dont seem happy...but maybe i am mistaken in my impression of the school

Yeap, you are mistaken, UCLA students are extremely happy and now with the new curriculum change, there is going to be less lecture and more "independent/group studying" so I would love to go to UCLA if the opportunity was there. As far as DREW goes, I know they can be a little disorganized, but to be honest with you, I would go to DREW because of their mission statement (care to the underserved) which is one of the reasons why I want to be a physician. Just my opinion.....

hi guys..
i'm in the same boat as many of u..... waiting for UCLA. But thank GOD I already got into my state school, RWJ in NJ, so I am really glad and relieved...
And i didn't even think i had a chance at UCLA.. being out of state and all, but after an early nov interview, i feel so close.... to the sunny Cali weather.. gosh.. i REALLY REALLY want to go there!!

BUT still haven't heard anything.

OH...i was wondering.. I am really interested in serving the underserved... and my bad! i didn't do the research on the UCLA-DREW program, so didn't apply for that. Does anyone know if you are allowed to apply for that after you get into UCLA? IF i get in??

well, good luck to you all and i really really hope that i can live the next four (or more) years in sunny California!!

**oh by the way.. one more question.. how does one become a Cali resident? do i have to prove residence in CA for 1 year? or do just have to register to vote in CA or get a CA license? it's funny.. i think i'd actually pay less at UCLA (if i become a resident after my 1st year) than at RWJ, my own state school!

Originally posted by eunice

**oh by the way.. one more question.. how does one become a Cali resident? do i have to prove residence in CA for 1 year? or do just have to register to vote in CA or get a CA license? it's funny.. i think i'd actually pay less at UCLA (if i become a resident after my 1st year) than at RWJ, my own state school!

Here's what I've come up with doing some research on this since my CA residency got temporarily complicated by my family moving and some other strange stuff. On paper you need to switch everything over to CA from NJ to establish intent to live here permanently and then stay a year. License, car registration, voting, bank accounts, taxes. Definitely call UCLA and ask them when the "residency determination date" is for the start of your second year. You'll need to get your license by that date (which will probably sometime in the summer/fall of your first year) or they can cause problems for your claim to become a resident. File a CA tax return during your first year of med school. I must say that some of the UC med admissions people I talked to made it sound like once you're in it's not very hard to get the in-state tuition your second year as long as you have a license and voter registration. But I would play it safe and find out exactly what needs to be done and do it. Most UCs have a residency office you can call when the time comes. And if you do come, definitely make an appointment when you go to the DMV for your new license and save yourself 3+ hours of hassle. Good luck!

Davis interview:clap:
SF rejection:mad:

Thanks!!!
=)

eunice

Originally posted by azpremed
Here's what I've come up with doing some research on this since my CA residency got temporarily complicated by my family moving and some other strange stuff. On paper you need to switch everything over to CA from NJ to establish intent to live here permanently and then stay a year. License, car registration, voting, bank accounts, taxes. Definitely call UCLA and ask them when the "residency determination date" is for the start of your second year. You'll need to get your license by that date (which will probably sometime in the summer/fall of your first year) or they can cause problems for your claim to become a resident. File a CA tax return during your first year of med school. I must say that some of the UC med admissions people I talked to made it sound like once you're in it's not very hard to get the in-state tuition your second year as long as you have a license and voter registration. But I would play it safe and find out exactly what needs to be done and do it. Most UCs have a residency office you can call when the time comes. And if you do come, definitely make an appointment when you go to the DMV for your new license and save yourself 3+ hours of hassle. Good luck!

I just got an interview at Davis and I was wondering which hotel you guys stayed.

Did you fly into Sacramento and took the shuttle there to the hotel?

thanks,

anyone know when ucla is sending out their next acceptance batch? feb 28?

How many acceptance batches has UCLA sent out thus far?

hi poddes, i believe they have sent one to this date, jan 28th according to dpy

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by zZZZZ
I just got an interview at Davis and I was wondering which hotel you guys stayed.

Did you fly into Sacramento and took the shuttle there to the hotel?

thanks,

If you fly into Sac, you can take a bus for about $1.25 or $1.50 to the main UC Davis Campus. Its route 42B on Yolobus, you can look it up. You can stay at a number of hotels in town that are walking distance from campus or take a university bus, Unitrans. Also, if you want to take a shuttle and the hotel doesn't provide one, Davis Airporter will pick you up and all that for about 25 bucks roundtrip, i think, i could be wrong. Also, there is a shuttle available on campus to and from the UCD Med Center in Sacramento. So, it can all be done pretty easily without renting a car, if you plan it out ahead of time.

After 2 months of waiting, I was invited for interview today for 2/27 by UCI. Any advice from those of you who have interviewed there before?

Thanks

Sorry I can't give you advice cause i'm just a UC Irvine hopeful, but may I ask how you found out about your interview?

Congrats!!!!!

Thanks.
Because they had an opening for next Thursday and bec. they didn't have time to send me info and wait for my RSVP, they called me from the admissions office. But, I think that usually, they email you ahead of time.

Hi everyone,

Maybe this question belongs in a separate post, but I was wondering--for those of you who interviewed at UCI-- what you thought about the UCI hospital and facilities of the school in general. My faculty interview was held at the med school campus, so I didn't get to see the hospital itself. I'd love to hear your opinion about your experience at UCI. I personally liked the school very much, mostly for its people, even though I wasn't too thrilled about its facilities and the fact that the hospital a 20-minute drive away from the campus. Does anyone know for sure they're going to UCI next year? Thanks for your time!

congrats those of you who got davis interviews! :clap: it is a great place; make sure to check out info about their student-run clinics, as they'll probably want to talk to u about these during ur interview...the student run clinics are such a big part of the experience, and i don't know of anywhere else that has anything comparable.

Originally posted by kiping
Davis interview:clap:
SF rejection:mad:

Just checked my status and I've received an interview invite from UCLA! Wow, I really didn't think I had a shot at getting an interview there, so I'm pretty ecstatic right now. :D

I have a question, though. The website says that an interview was requested 2/19 (today) but doesn't give any info about scheduling an interview. I haven't received an e-mail yet, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Also, I know that UCLA has just recently started sending out acceptances, but does anyone have any idea how many spots are left in the class? And once you get an interview, what are your odds of getting an acceptance.

In case you're wondering, my secondary was submitted 2/8.

you have to wait for the letter to get to you and then you send back a preference of dates for interview letter (form you fill out). and then they send back you interview date. it's slow.. but maybe they'll speed it up for you since it's feb. i just know in my letter it said that interviews could not be scheduled over the phone. good luck! that's fantastic news.

Thanks for the info, djwdv. You'd think that they'd post something on their website telling us this. I also don't understand why they don't use the web for scheduling interviews. It would be so much more efficient and easier that way. Oh well...

just wondering...those of you who were invited for an interview there...when were you complete at davis and did they notify you by email??? my app has been complete there since 10/8 and i haven't heard a thing since...were you invited today????

I'm the same boat about the UCI interview, I didn't get a chance to see the medical center, but I did LOVE the school and I will definitely go there if accepted. I was bummed there wasn't a better tour, but every student I talked to, except one, was really nice and truely seemed to enjoy themselves.

I interviewed at davis a couple of weeks ago -- does anyone know if it's a good idea to write the adcom and say that you were really impressed with the school and would love to go there? What's the protocol at the UCs for doing something like that?

Here is my UC update. Interviewed drew/UCLA Nov.21 three long months later, got my acceptance letter today. The only Calif. interview I've had, but it was the only one that mattered, my number 1 choice. California here I come, no scrapping snow off my windshield out of state for me. And to think I was going to freeze my butt off in chicago.

Originally posted by sponch
I interviewed at davis a couple of weeks ago -- does anyone know if it's a good idea to write the adcom and say that you were really impressed with the school and would love to go there? What's the protocol at the UCs for doing something like that?

3 weeks ago I takled to a guy on the adcom and i specifically asked him what he thought about the letter. He said it was pretty much not worth the effort, because if you really wanted to go to UCD then it should have come across during the interview. Also, he mentioned that if you did write a letter, you'd have to do it fairly quickly so it made it into your file before its reviewed. He made it sound like it should be there within a week. i thought that was fairly quick, but thats what he said.
All of that aside, no questions about it, i would write the letter, unless you come off like a complete ass, youve got nothing to lose but a few wasted minutes of your life. And if they don't accept you straight up, then maybe it will help for the waitlist. Even though he wasn't all for the letter writing, maybe some other adcom person would be. so you never know, but my advice is to go for it. good luck, its a good school with an absolutley terrific med center.

Originally posted by cipher
Thanks for the info, djwdv. You'd think that they'd post something on their website telling us this. I also don't understand why they don't use the web for scheduling interviews. It would be so much more efficient and easier that way. Oh well...

Cipher, UCLA will post the date they receive your interview form on the status page, so if it doesn't show up as received within a few days definitely call.

I waited 2 weeks, not wanting to bother them, then I found out they never received my interview form back...though when I called they were very helpful and gave me an interview in 3 days. Good Luck!!

Originally posted by Moskeeto
3 weeks ago I takled to a guy on the adcom and i specifically asked him what he thought about the letter. He said it was pretty much not worth the effort, because if you really wanted to go to UCD then it should have come across during the interview. Also, he mentioned that if you did write a letter, you'd have to do it fairly quickly so it made it into your file before its reviewed. He made it sound like it should be there within a week. i thought that was fairly quick, but thats what he said.
All of that aside, no questions about it, i would write the letter, unless you come off like a complete ass, youve got nothing to lose but a few wasted minutes of your life. And if they don't accept you straight up, then maybe it will help for the waitlist. Even though he wasn't all for the letter writing, maybe some other adcom person would be. so you never know, but my advice is to go for it. good luck, its a good school with an absolutley terrific med center.

Originally posted by Moskeeto
hey- i interviewed at davis and they said that they do NOT value the letter of intent so don't bother. they do take into account update letters and informative pieces of info- but not the letter of intent.- hope this is helpful

BUMP... it's been 4 months since my int at ucla and am still waiting :) any news?

i called sd yesterday to find out what was going on for those who haven't heard anything post 2ndary...she was not very nice that is for sure but said they would be done interviewing at the end of march...they are still inviting but you should hear something by next week if they are going to invite you or not. i got off the phone kind of bummed---sounds like you can only get invited in the next week....at least that is how she made it sound.

nygirl.. my recent rejection letter from ucsd - after being on hold since jan. - stated specifically that the "adcomm was done with reviewing all applicants for the entering class. therefore, you have not been selected..." so if you didn't get a final decision letter date on your status page, i would think you might be getting an invite. not to raise false hopes. unless they're sending out another batch of rejections later, but my letter made it sound like i was the last (or one of the last) batches. you can at least hold on to that thought for today at least!

Thanks Moskeeto for the info.. Which hotel is the closest to the davis campus?

Good luck to everyone!!!!:clap:

Originally posted by zZZZZ
Thanks Moskeeto for the info.. Which hotel is the closest to the davis campus?

Good luck to everyone!!!!:clap:

I stayed at the University Park Inn (I think that's the name), which was pretty close, but not "the" closest, by maybe a third of a mile. The normal single rooms are pretty small, but will totally do for one person, but they gave me a suite, which was humongous, because of some snaffus that were their fault. The place overall was ok/nothing spectacular... the good thing was the free internet access in the lobby, a must for us junkies.

I think the Best Western is really close though, and not too expensive. The other hotels on the lettered streets (B St., etc.) are also adjacent to campus. Motel 6 and Howard Johnson were one exit down I-80 away from Davis - not a problem if you have a car, but not so good if you don't have one. You can see I did my research before I picked a hotel.... :)

Originally posted by mystic_b
I stayed at the University Park Inn (I think that's the name), which was pretty close, but not "the" closest, by maybe a third of a mile. The normal single rooms are pretty small, but will totally do for one person, but they gave me a suite, which was humongous, because of some snaffus that were their fault. The place overall was ok/nothing spectacular... the good thing was the free internet access in the lobby, a must for us junkies.

I think the Best Western is really close though, and not too expensive. The other hotels on the lettered streets (B St., etc.) are also adjacent to campus. Motel 6 and Howard Johnson were one exit down I-80 away from Davis - not a problem if you have a car, but not so good if you don't have one. You can see I did my research before I picked a hotel.... :)

All good advice, I would stay at the Best Western. The campus is kind of funny, the Best Western is really close to campus, but the med campus is still probably a mile away, so it all depends on if you have a car. If anybody is coming into town and needs someone to show them around or anything, just let me know. I'm happy to help.

For anyone who has been invited to interview at UCSD...

Did your status page change before you received the letter inviting you to interview? or is the interview request and scheduling done online?

I'm just wondering because I have not gotten a final decision letter and my status page still says "on hold." So i'm wondering if by some miracle i receive an interview, what type of notification would i be looking for?

UCSD emailed me about the interview before anything else changed...

My invite to UCSD was sent via email, and the status page updated to interview requested (or something like that) the same day. Hope that helps, and be patient. If they haven't rejected you, you still have a shot.

Trix, when is your interview...I'll be there on Feb 25. Just wanted to see if any SDNers will be there...Good luck

I was going to go, but things changed... :D

Awwww, you will be missed!!! :( Oh well, but you are a BALLER!
Just found out Drew didn't have my LOR's....my bad...4got to send them!:eek: :eek: I sent them express, so they should hit by Monday....I probably really screwed up my chances for an interview now... but hey, I'm going to KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!! :p

Sorry to hear that...

I know you still have a chance to get in, heck you're such a strong applicant! Don't worry, you'll get in!

Good luck in San Diego!

Thank U...but I don't know why I'm going really...I figured I might as well give it a shot. Hopefully I won't be 0-5 on the UC's. Peace.

I know you won't. ;)

Did you go to an interview at UCSF?

Originally posted by cbpremed
Trix, when is your interview...I'll be there on Feb 25. Just wanted to see if any SDNers will be there...Good luck

My interview has come & gone, but thanks. Good luck on your interview! ;)

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
I know you won't. ;)

Did you go to an interview at UCSF?

Yeah, I went to interview I think in October..it's all a blur now. Now I'm in the high priority category=waitlist=waiting till May 15. Irvine did me too and put me on hold. The other 2 are silent. I'd really like to KNOW where I'm going and if I'm moving out of state, but I guess I have to exercise patience. :p

How long do you think we are going to have to wait for UC Davis? It sucks that we aren't even "on hold" just in some middle ground.

I hope we find out soon.

Does anyone know what's going on with UCLA?
My file has been complete since July and I haven't received a secondary or rejection. Anyone in the same boat?

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
How long do you think we are going to have to wait for UC Davis? It sucks that we aren't even "on hold" just in some middle ground.

I hope we find out soon.
Terri Hall told me that they are running late with the decisions and that we should hear "soon". These was a couple of weeks ago...so I wouldn't hold my breath/