UC Applicants: Post updates here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my regected email from davis today-post interview. Actually not rejected, on hold until June, but it might as well be a rejection. Davis showed no love.

Members don't see this ad.

OMFG... Just got an interview with UCSF, my first choice, w/a 28 MCAT!!

Any tips to prepare for them??

that's fantastic, lll505!!!
:hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lll505

That is so awesome-Congratulations!! :clap:

I interviewed there the first week of Dec. and it was very relaxed. You have two interviews with either 1 faculty/1 student or 2 faculty, and it generally just turns into a conversation, which seems mostly about deciding if you can add something to the entering class.

The biggest difference I found with my interview at UCSF and other schools was that they approach you with a "if you decide to go to school here" attitude vs. an "if you get into medical school attitude"....and it came off in a very humble way. I didn't expect to love the place so much, but after speaking with the students and learning about the curriculum it was hard not to.

Relax and have fun! ;)

I've written about my experinece at UCSF a few times. I would do a search for UCSF as a bunch of UCSF students continue (thank you to you guys) to post advice on here. Definitely relax and just tell the truth. They are really trying to get to know you. I must admit though I found the first question rather daunting... "so tell me about yourself." As I'm sure you know it is a closed file interview.

If you have time, walk around the campus by yourself. The views are amazing and it is worth a sit in the library if just for a few minutes to look at the Golden Gate. As you may be able to tell, I am counting the days till school starts. Hope to see you there in the fall!

Originally posted by lll505

Congrats on your interview!!! UCSF is absolutely breathtaking...

Anyway, my first interviewer (both faculty) was wonderfully kind and just asked about my family and high school activities. To my surprise, she didn't ask many questions relating to medicine.
My second interviewer, on the other hand, asked mostly about ethical questions. It took me off guard a bit because UCSF's interview letter stated it would be very casual and relaxed. However, I was the one who brought up my background in ethics and he was just interested in my views. Plus, he was extremely patient in my answers and gave me positive feedback (or at least I hope it was positive!! I'm still waiting for their decision....)

Good luck with your interview! I'm sure you'll do great as long as you're yourself. =)

p.s. someone mentioned earlier about not having the best interview at ucsf and worried about it affecting his/her chances. I talked with a MI student at UCSF and he told me that when he interviewed there, he left feeling like it didn't go very well. He got into his first choice still!

Just got put on hold at UC Davis.

I don't know what it means though...

It says that my application will be re-reviewed after all other applicants are interviewed, and then they will decide whether to accept me, reject me, or put me on hold.

What does that mean?!?! Arggh. When will they stop interviewing?

I get back from my UCSF interview, and this is the news I get.

Great.

relax brother, you're a lot further along than I am. :cool:
How'd the UCSF interview go? it should feel pretty good knowing you've got a 50-50 chance of getting.

The UCSF interview went well.

The 50-50 thing made me feel better about Davis, and look what happened.

How long do you think they will be interviewing?

Do you think I have a shot of still getting in there?

This is my top choice--I feel like jumping out the window.

My night sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, I live in Davis and go to school here, I haven't even gotten an interview yet. I know thats no biggie, but I've also had Ed Dagang, the head of admissions and outreach, call my house personally a few weeks ago, so I know their looking at my file. But still no change, no rejection, no interview invite, nothing. The horrible thing about the phone call is I don't think I came off too swell and you can never really tell with Ed, but it didn't sound like he believed the answers I was giving to him. They've lost both my secondary and my secondary fees, so I've had to hassle with them over that and it seems like they've been trying to start arguments on the phone a couple of times because they kept acting like I was making everything up. Its really frustrating, but hopefully you and I will both be at UCD Med School class of '07, its my #1 too. For my sake, I hope to gOD they're still interviewing.

Do you think that they've accepted a lot of people?

Should I write a letter of intent?

I'm so pissed right now.

Do you think they are waiting for SF and LA?

I know they accept people late, my gf has been to a few med school parties here and some of the people she talked to said that they interviewed "really late." I didn't get any more details than that. And also, i thought this was odd, one guy she knows that is a M1, only got accepted to UCD. He was shot down everywhere else because he didn't have and volunteer time in a hospital and almost no other ECs. he had a low 30s on the MCAT, i think. I don't get it. After I heard that, I thought I was gold, but nope. I don't know about a letter of Intent. I've heard Ed talk ALOT, but I've never heard him mention it. I do know he is VERY picky and he would read peoples' PS from past application and they would seem fine to me, but then he would say how terrible they were and that they wouldn't get a secondary even though the person had a 35+, 3.9, it was some crazy, scary stuff.

So I'm looking at June huh.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the news UCSB...I'm still pulling for you and keeping the faith...I on the other hand have still heard NOTHING. I'm sure I'll be joining the "on hold" pool with you. Hope you liked UCSF...who did you interview with???

Anyone know how often the adm. committee meets at UCI? I still have not gotten a word from them after the secondary. thanx

The interview at UCSF went well (but thats what I thought about Davis too...)

I had Dr. Delgado, an Orthopedic Surgeon and Abiona Berkeley, MSIV.

I had a great time.

Does anyone know how holds work?

When do you guys think that Davis will stop interviewing if they started in November?

Dr. PC

What does your status say on the web site. I haven't heard from them post secondary either.

How long is the wait with UCSF?

Are they sending out accentance this week?

Moskeeto,

My status page says that I am in the review process. Again, does anyone know how often these people meet? thanx

Damn! :mad: Beware of the yellow manila envelop from UCSF--it's NOT an interview invite. Just **** @ their post-bacc program. They are too cruel.

nefertari :( i was excited b/c i thought you were going to say ucla accepted you! bleh. pooey on ucsf.

Yeah, lola, they should have stamped it w/ "Calm down--your sorry ass isn't getting an interview yet" !!!! :laugh:

Originally posted by nikoo
How long is the wait with UCSF?

Are they sending out accentance this week?

nikoo--i called the admissions office today and they said they will send them out sometime next week probably.

is there still a chance of getting interviewed at ucsd, d, or sf??
i have lost hope with the uc's and most schools...i got my rejection from ucla/drew in the mail 2 days ago!!! was a big bummer.

Hi guys,
My UC Davis application has been complete since 9/11/02... I called them last week and the woman who answered the phone was pretty vague about whether or not I would hear from them anytime soon... she just told me "it would take a little longer" which is the same answer I received early October. sigh... they're so slow.

Originally posted by nygirl6464
i have lost hope with the uc's and most schools...i got my rejection from ucla/drew in the mail 2 days ago!!! was a big bummer.

Hey nygirl--

Don't give up yet...there's still time. I was just in Seattle, and on the plane ride home I sat next to a lady who told me her son got interviews at UC schools really late in the season.

hey nygirl6464, sorry about that UCLA/DREW rejection, can you please tell me when your application was complete? thanks

How late UCLA interviews? My application has been complte since Sep, no word yet. Any word of wisdom?

hey nikoo, i think ucla interviews through march and perhaps april... good luck.

ucla--drew...my app was complete in late october.....so it tooka bit over 2 months.

btw thanks coldchemist...you made me feel much better!!

ucla--drew...my app was complete in late october.....so it tooka bit over 2 months.

wow late october huh..I guess I still have a while to go then, I think mine was complete in the middle of november or so...oh well patience is virtue, so they say....take care peeps anybody else have any news about DREW/UCLA?

Does anyone have any updates on UC Irvine taking people off hold for an interview?

Any hints on how to get taken off hold?

When do they take the bulk of people off hold for an interview if they are going to?

And how long do they interview?

Or if there is already a good thread on this, let me know, as I haven't found one.

Irvine is the only UC I haven't been rejected from and I'm really anxious!!!

Hi Guys!
I've been on break from school and I decided to take a break from SDN too. It was making me really obsessive-compulsive. Anyhow, I came back today, and found an UCSF invite in my inbox

AMCAS Data 7/31/2002
University of California Application 8/5/2002
Secondary Application Complete 9/24/2002
Selected for Interview 1/15/2003

In Nov and in Dec, I emailed the Admis. Office just to make absolutely sure that they had all my application materials and got vague responses each time. Anyhow, I was so excited that I'm sure my whole apartment building heard me scream "I got an interview."

Anyhow, have patience guys (easier said than done), secondaries and interviews are still coming. Good luck!

BananaSplit

Congrats Bananasplit!!!

Were you originally "on hold" for interview at ucsf?

great! just got that infamous ON HOLD from UCI...I guess that just means more waiting now...good luck to everyone!

Dr. Don,

When did you turn in your secondary to UCI?

Originally posted by Dr.PC
Dr. Don,

When did you turn in your secondary to UCI?

Hey Dr. PC, application complete 12/16/2002, so it took a little over a month to get reviewed, relatively fast compared to other UCs, but still got a hold....anyways good luck to you!

i have the same question for banasplit....my app was complete there in mid oct...then i was put on hold for an interview...did the same happen to you??? were you put on hold first??? just wondering.

Thanx Dr. Don... I turned it in on 12/18. I guess I should be hearing in a couple of weeks as well (or at least I hope)... Good luck!

my app was complete on 12/18 too. hopefully we should both be hearing soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I don't know whats worse "on hold" or "review in process."

To my knowledge, I was not on hold. Do they send you a letter to tell you that you're on hold? or do they tell you when you call them? If it's a letter, it might have gotten lost in the mail for me because I forwarded my mail home for a month and some things got forwarded and others did not. When I called in late November, I was just told that I would have to wait, the lady didn't mention anything about a hold for interview. I don't know if this helps.

BananaSplit

you get a letter if you're on hold. approx 200 people get them i think. there was something in the letter saying we should know by april if we get an interview :rolleyes:

thanks lola...just wondering if they give 1400 secondaries---and 500 get interviews and 200 get that letter do the rest of the 700 get rejections or are they still sending out the hold letters? sorry i guess you probably donn't know the answer to this but i thought it might bew worth a shot!

I've been on hold for interview at UC Irvine for a few months now, but never received a letter. I just saw that I was put on hold for interview by checking their status page. Should I have got a letter?

brutus, i did not receive a letter from irvine either. i only knew of my status by checking their status page.

nygirl, sorry but i don't have the answer to your question. they may still be sending out the hold letters -- no idea. they are still requesting interviews i think. good luck!

unbelievable! i just got a secondary from ucsf, 01/17. i turned in my uc app 12/17.

i guess when things at ucsf get started, they realllllllllly get started!

thanks lola! i just thought i would give it a shot.

I got an invite for UCI today. I pretty happy. Should I be this excited over just an interview? I don't care, I thought I had zero chances at a UC. If I got an interview, theres hope for everyone. I'm so happy I could wet myself. Hopefully other people should be getting some good news any time now too.