UC Davis c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanith

WSU '19
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up Aggie hopefuls! Figured I'd start this thread since one still hadn't popped up yet. Who else has Davis as their #1 pick this cycle? First time applicant here, currently attending Davis as an undergrad as well. If any out-of-staters have any questions about Davis or the vet school's admission criteria feel free to ask, I'm not an expert or anything but I've spoken to a couple people directly involved with admissions for this cycle.

Best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do!! I was born and raised Southern California and was stationed at Travis AFB until 2003. I am now in TX finishing my second undergrad degree and have UC Davis as my first pick!

Hey! Thanks for starting the thread. I've heard a lot of rumors going around that Davis only looks at GPA and GRE to make their initial decision for who will interview. Does that sound accurate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Thanks for starting the thread. I've heard a lot of rumors going around that Davis only looks at GPA and GRE to make their initial decision for who will interview. Does that sound accurate?

You're correct. They look at:
1) Science GPA
2) Last 45 quarter/30 semester unit GPA
3) Quantitative GRE score

I believe these 3 components are then converted into a single "score". If you're below the cutoff they have set for this score, you are removed from the applicant pool.

I wouldn't say that it's "only" GPA and GRE. There may be a cutoff involved there, but they require PPI evaluations in addition to those submitted with your VMCAS so I imagine there is weight on those. And as I understand it, acceptance is based entirely on the interview, so your file gets you to the interview and then is not considered anymore.

I wouldn't say that it's "only" GPA and GRE. There may be a cutoff involved there, but they require PPI evaluations in addition to those submitted with your VMCAS so I imagine there is weight on those. And as I understand it, acceptance is based entirely on the interview, so your file gets you to the interview and then is not considered anymore.

You're completely right. I forgot about the PPI component. It's definitely something they look at. And you're also correct about the interview process.

Does anyone know when UCD usually sends out supplemental info? Also, is this after they've eliminated some people from the pool based on academic measures? Will they notify us if we have been rejected at that point?

I know last year rejections went out really early....at least the first cut.... (which was anyone not getting an interview). It was in November.

Does anyone know when UCD usually sends out supplemental info? Also, is this after they've eliminated some people from the pool based on academic measures? Will they notify us if we have been rejected at that point?

The applicant portal opened around this time last year and the supplemental app was due Nov 1. And I think interview invites and first cut went out just before Thanksgiving.

Do you think that someone who submitted their app on Oct 1 would receive portal info much later in the month then? I've heard the nov 1 due date before, but if it takes at least a month to verify my app...i might literally have a day or two to work on the supp?

Do you think that someone who submitted their app on Oct 1 would receive portal info much later in the month then? I've heard the nov 1 due date before, but if it takes at least a month to verify my app...i might literally have a day or two to work on the supp?
Oh god I hope not...I submitted on Oct 1 as well. I wonder if the supp is long and tedious.

Oh god I hope not...I submitted on Oct 1 as well. I wonder if the supp is long and tedious.
As someone who is burnt out from school, the GRE, and writing >10 supps, I FEEL YOU! Haha but okay weirdly enough, WSU said that they received my vmcas yesterday?! i'm happy but surprised it happened so quickly? Other schools haven't received it though so that makes me think that maybe processing differs for each school...

As someone who is burnt out from school, the GRE, and writing >10 supps, I FEEL YOU! Haha but okay weirdly enough, WSU said that they received my vmcas yesterday?! i'm happy but surprised it happened so quickly? Other schools haven't received it though so that makes me think that maybe processing differs for each school...

Ahhh me too! WSU received my VMCAS yesterday too. And I checked my status for CSU and they haven't received it yet. Grrrr. Maaan I don't like playing the waiting game -_____-'

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh me too! WSU received my VMCAS yesterday too. And I checked my status for CSU and they haven't received it yet. Grrrr. Maaan I don't like playing the waiting game -_____-'

Haha you and me both -__- I'm starting to fall prey to the conspiracy theory that at the end of it all, everything is decided by a coin flip .___. lol but I'll keep you guys updated on my status for UCD. It's my IS but also one of the most competitive programs in the country *sighz*

Wait if you haven't gotten VMCAS verified yet how did WSU get vmcas? thats odd....I'm still waiting for VMCAS to verify...Idk why so difficult when I am a re-applicant, I just added a few classes and some experience! lol

Okay weird.....JUST checked....and WSU has my VMCAS...how??? if vmcas didnt verify??

Wait if you haven't gotten VMCAS verified yet how did WSU get vmcas? thats odd....I'm still waiting for VMCAS to verify...Idk why so difficult when I am a re-applicant, I just added a few classes and some experience! lol

Okay weird.....JUST checked....and WSU has my VMCAS...how??? if vmcas didnt verify??
The VMCAS staff person that posts here said that schools can see your application as soon as you submit, even if it isn't verified yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten the notification that the portal is up to complete the supplemental application yet?

Hmm... via email? I haven't received anything. Does anyone know how this process works? Is it based on when you submit your VMCAS?

What do the questions look like? How many? I'd like to get started and not have only a few days to work on them!
It is called "Secondary Application" and it is mainly just a survey and has no bearing on the decision.

mine just came in today, few minutes ago. :) Horay! I was getting worried.

Hi guys! Just received my app portal today (ugh due to some unforeseen issues w/ VMCAS). I finished it, but just wondering was the prerequisite form just math and science courses for you guys? I know they have english and humanities reqs but I didn't see the select boxes for those subjects?

Hi guys! Just received my app portal today (ugh due to some unforeseen issues w/ VMCAS). I finished it, but just wondering was the prerequisite form just math and science courses for you guys? I know they have english and humanities reqs but I didn't see the select boxes for those subjects?

Man I am so sorry that happened to you! Ya as I recall the only supplemental application for Davis was those. They will probably look on our VMCAS for the humanities and english reqs.

Man I am so sorry that happened to you! Ya as I recall the only supplemental application for Davis was those. They will probably look on our VMCAS for the humanities and english reqs.

Worst experience of my lifetime. Haha many thanks for the help though :)

So apparently they start sending out interview offers/rejections on Monday!!! Who's stoked/anxious to their mind??????

How did you hear this?! What about dual applicants?

My heart just exceeded 100MPH :(

NVM it was on the message for "application received" Eek.. For some reason my GPAs on the Davis app are different than the ones on VMCAS. I am guessing they re-calculated them to include my vet tech associates, which VMCAS did not (b/c "vocational")?

Pretty sure invites go out the week of November 17 (next week) :)

:wideyed:You guys.....this is the week. I'm pretty sure it's a rejection for me ("low" gpa), but there's that little spark/glimmer of hope. I straight up will **** my pants if I get an interview. For reals. Lol!!! :rofl:Good luck to all!

:wideyed:You guys.....this is the week. I'm pretty sure it's a rejection for me ("low" gpa), but there's that little spark/glimmer of hope. I straight up will **** my pants if I get an interview. For reals. Lol!!! :rofl:Good luck to all!
Same here! Dang GPA.... :(

Same here! Dang GPA.... :(

I know that feeling. I'm definitely in the same boat where my GPA isn't "low" by the normal standard, but I'm not even in the "average" group for the competitive standard. I am also expecting a rejection due to this, but it just sucks that I'm getting butterflies and know I'll still feel sad/depress knowing this is the most likely outcome. Also doesn't help that I have coworkers who are also applying this year and they are very likely to be getting an interview - being the only one not getting one sucks.

I know that feeling. I'm definitely in the same boat where my GPA isn't "low" by the normal standard, but I'm not even in the "average" group for the competitive standard. I am also expecting a rejection due to this, but it just sucks that I'm getting butterflies and know I'll still feel sad/depress knowing this is the most likely outcome. Also doesn't help that I have coworkers who are also applying this year and they are very likely to be getting an interview - being the only one not getting one sucks.
Yeah, definitely not a fan of their new selection process...doesn't give the applicants with average gpa's (because they've been working 20+ hours a week in a clinic) a chance...like myself. I just don't think strictly grades should be the first cut. But their school, their rules! Lol! What r ya gonna do! :shrug:

Yeah, definitely not a fan of their new selection process...doesn't give the applicants with average gpa's (because they've been working 20+ hours a week in a clinic) a chance...like myself. I just don't think strictly grades should be the first cut. But their school, their rules! Lol! What r ya gonna do! :shrug:

They had my overall GPA incorrect on the site and it seems they are not too keen to change it since they said that they look at last 45 GPA and science GPA only. So you say this is the first cut? What is their limits?

They had my overall GPA incorrect on the site and it seems they are not too keen to change it since they said that they look at last 45 GPA and science GPA only. So you say this is the first cut? What is their limits?
Yeah when I was there visiting they said they line up applicants based on science gpa, last 45 gpa, and quant GRE score....the top 33% of those get an interview. :yeahright:

Yeah when I was there visiting they said they line up applicants based on science gpa, last 45 gpa, and quant GRE score....the top 33% of those get an interview. :yeahright:
I'm out. Did horrible on my GRE.... Their loss if that is how they judge applicants... :( Do they also do that for the people who also applied to the dual program (VSTP)?

The PPI's are also part of the 'equation' they use. So at least there's that.

I agree (and so does a lot of their faculty) that their new admissions system is not good. Sure, it is a lot faster than having to look through experiences/personal statements, but I really don't think faster is better. Also, the interview questions are entirely behavioral/"hypothetical problems to solve", none are related to veterinary medicine or your experiences.

I'm out. Did horrible on my GRE.... Their loss if that is how they judge applicants... :( Do they also do that for the people who also applied to the dual program (VSTP)?

Yeah :-|

I agree (and so does a lot of their faculty) that their new admissions system is not good. Sure, it is a lot faster than having to look through experiences/personal statements, but I really don't think faster is better. Also, the interview questions are entirely behavioral/"hypothetical problems to solve", none are related to veterinary medicine or your experiences.

Well we will know this week right? lol

They told me PPI was after MMI score. So PPI is 3rd cut :(

Dang, guys. Do they actually consider vet/animal experience and research in any part of the admissions process then?

"Applicants are selected for interviews (MMI format) based on combined academic and non-academic (PPI) factors. Those identified in the top 30-40 percent for California residents and top 10-15% for nonresidents will be invited for an interview."
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/admissions/faq.cfm

They use Last 45 GPA, Science GPA, Quantitative GRE, AND PPIs to determine who gets an interview. ;)

After the interview, they only use your MMI score to determine admissions.

Very strange process...

Last edited:
Wait did it say anywhere that we will be hearing back on Wednesday? D:

"Applicants are selected for interviews (MMI format) based on combined academic and non-academic (PPI) factors. Those identified in the top 30-40 percent for California residents and top 10-15% for nonresidents will be invited for an interview."
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/admissions/faq.cfm

They use Last 45 GPA, Science GPA, Quantitative GRE, AND PPIs to determine who gets an interview. ;)

After the interview, they only use your MMI score to determine admissions.

Very strange process...

I wish I read this before applying as an OOS. I feel like I wasted my money...

Last year the IS invites went out 11/20...which was a Wednesday. Maybe that's where you were getting it from??? :)

Not meaning to divert from the current "when will invitations be sent out discussion," but I'm in a similar boat...or rather a similar boat going the opposite direction. As said before, my GPA is subpar in the competitive standard, but I scored pretty well for my quantitative section. I would also like to think my PPI is good (one is a board certified criticalist pretty well known along the west coast, or at least the Bay Area), but that is rather bias.

In the end for the scale, I'm only doing well in 1 of the 4 criterias...sucks that the GPA is weighed so heavily.