UC Davis c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not meaning to divert from the current "when will invitations be sent out discussion," but I'm in a similar boat...or rather a similar boat going the opposite direction. As said before, my GPA is subpar in the competitive standard, but I scored pretty well for my quantitative section. I would also like to think my PPI is good (one is a board certified criticalist pretty well known along the west coast, or at least the Bay Area), but that is rather bias.

In the end for the scale, I'm only doing well in 1 of the 4 criterias...sucks that the GPA is weighed so heavily.
Yeah, and it's frustrating that they don't take schools into account. Going to a good school with a hard reputation or just an average school, obviously those GPAs are different, they have differnt weight, but they don't look at that. Supposedly they did it this way because they want their students to have an "easier" time succeeding at vet school, students who basically are very book smart, then after that cut or out of those applicants, they do MMI to see what their personality/people skills/critical thinking skills are like. And thats how they get "the whole package".
But I'm sorry, i honestly think students who have been hustling around going from school to 2 differnt jobs and still managing to hold a great gpa (just not vet school great) while taking over 16 units a semester, will make a fantastic vet! I think that shows drive and passion. And to be able to handle all that, imagine what they'll be able to do when they only have to concentrate on vet school and not 2+ jobs on top of it! (That's another thing, they don't take unit load into consideration), I've never taken less than 18 units in a smester.
Following this application process it seems most beneficial to just go to any old university, take 8-12 units, (to just dominate and get straight A's) and then casually volunteer when you have free time to slowly accumulate hours, and develop a good relationship with a vet to get a good PPI. That doesn't mean that applicant would be able to handle vet school at all!

Anyways, just saying, again...their school their rules! It's just frustrating. I was always heart set on Davis (my friggin' IS), but once they changed their app process I had to let go a little. What can ya do? It will be interesting to see what type of vets they turn out in the next 6-10 years...different selection process= different vets!
I'd still sure love to be there though!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, and it's frustrating that they don't take schools into account. Going to a good school with a hard reputation or just an average school, obviously those GPAs are different, they have differnt weight, but they don't look at that. Supposedly they did it this way because they want their students to have an "easier" time succeeding at vet school, students who basically are very book smart, then after that cut or out of those applicants, they do MMI to see what their personality/people skills/critical thinking skills are like. And thats how they get "the whole package".
But I'm sorry, i honestly think students who have been hustling around going from school to 2 differnt jobs and still managing to hold a great gpa (just not vet school great) while taking over 16 units a semester, will make a fantastic vet! I think that shows drive and passion. And to be able to handle all that, imagine what they'll be able to do when they only have to concentrate on vet school and not 2+ jobs on top of it! (That's another thing, they don't take unit load into consideration), I've never taken less than 18 units in a smester.
Following this application process it seems most beneficial to just go to any old university, take 8-12 units, (to just dominate and get straight A's) and then casually volunteer when you have free time to slowly accumulate hours, and develop a good relationship with a vet to get a good PPI. That doesn't mean that applicant would be able to handle vet school at all!

Anyways, just saying, again...their school their rules! It's just frustrating. I was always heart set on Davis (my friggin' IS), but once they changed their app process I had to let go a little. What can ya do? It will be interesting to see what type of vets they turn out in the next 6-10 years...different selection process= different vets!

Yeah being my IS it also sort of suck. I can't really defend myself since I wasn't doing jobs on top of my school, but I was in my late teens and was just reckless. Looking back, I realized my mistake, and started taking approaches to make things right. Currently, I pack my week with experience: I work 4 shifts at a 24/7 emergency/specialty every week, and I work every single shift, rotating between day, swing, and graveyard, often times into overtime. At the same time, I continued volunteering at my GP twice a week. This means I only have one day off...I pretty much have no weekends or I tire out if I do want to hang out with friends on my one day off. I've been on this schedule for over a year now, not taking any sick days and even worked during major holidays at the 24/7 clinic. Yeah my GPA sucks, but I have dedication; I know many who would crack under this type of schedule after a month, and we all know working in a vet clinic is both physically and mentally straining even on a normal 40 hour week schedule.

But this is just me ranting at this point. I'm just trying to make myself feel better because I didn't do as well during my undergrad as I wanted. As you've been saying Hollista, it is their school and they can select however they want to.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah being my IS it also sort of suck. I can't really defend myself since I wasn't doing jobs on top of my school, but I was in my late teens and was just reckless. Looking back, I realized my mistake, and started taking approaches to make things right. Currently, I pack my week with experience: I work 4 shifts at a 24/7 emergency/specialty every week, and I work every single shift, rotating between day, swing, and graveyard, often times into overtime. At the same time, I continued volunteering at my GP twice a week. This means I only have one day off...I pretty much have no weekends or I tire out if I do want to hang out with friends on my one day off. I've been on this schedule for over a year now, not taking any sick days and even worked during major holidays at the 24/7 clinic. Yeah my GPA sucks, but I have dedication; I know many who would crack under this type of schedule after a month, and we all know working in a vet clinic is both physically and mentally straining even on a normal 40 hour week schedule.

But this is just me ranting at this point. I'm just trying to make myself feel better because I didn't do as well during my undergrad as I wanted. As you've been saying Hollista, it is their school and they can select however they want to.
Oh man could we have a great ranting conversation!! Sounds like we have the same schedules. I work at a 24/7 equine hospital. And yuppppo graveyards, swing, holidays you name it! I often show up to school In scrubs because I just came from working all night, all the spoiled kids at my school who live on campus look at me like I'm crazy. Hahahah! But after being up for 48 hours I could care less!! I've had to pay for school and support myself through all this (not living at home), so it's the only way to make ends meet, I have 2 other side jobs as well, and a horse and dog to care for. Lol my time is stretched sooo thin. But that's fine UCD!! I don't need you to look at that!! It's gonna help me in the long run, I'm used to this lifestyle so I feel prepared for anything! I'm just hoping some school out there will see that and appreciate it! Lol!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for you both. I am in the same situation as you all. My heart has been set on Davis since day 1 and sucks to face reality that I might not go that school....

BUT!!!! I believe we all can do it, no matter what, you guys will all be wonderful vets. So don't beat yourself up! Turn that frown upside down!!!! :biglove:We all need motivation, specially during this dreadful waiting period. Hang in there guys! <3

Reactions: 1 users
I know it probably doesn't make you guys feel any better, but many UCD students and faculty do not agree with the new direction administration is going, both in admissions and curriculum. I don't know why they're doing what they're doing. If I had to guess (honestly), I'd say they're trying to get UCD to the #1 ranking school... which is stupid because rankings don't freaking matter.

I sincerely hope that you guys get in. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
With my grades and GRE scores I probably made the first cut, though I'm OOS, but I agree that it's not particularly fair and doesn't take multiple circumstances into account.

That said, do you know when out of state people will hear back, and how do we hear back--via email or just on the portal?

I hear you! I am a non traditional applicant and my science GPA is really low due to classes taken 15 years ago. It stinks it still takes that into account. I have so many credits that it is almost impossible to raise my overall GPA so many school eliminated me last year before looking at my whole application. :(

With my grades and GRE scores I probably made the first cut, though I'm OOS, but I agree that it's not particularly fair and doesn't take multiple circumstances into account.

That said, do you know when out of state people will hear back, and how do we hear back--via email or just on the portal?
Via the portal, which you should get an email saying that you have a new portal message. We're all thinking we should know tomorrow bc the last portal message said that invites and rejections will be sent out the week of the 17th, and last year it was a Wednesday. So we're all predicting tomorrow is d-day. ;)

I know it probably doesn't make you guys feel any better, but many UCD students and faculty do not agree with the new direction administration is going, both in admissions and curriculum. I don't know why they're doing what they're doing. If I had to guess (honestly), I'd say they're trying to get UCD to the #1 ranking school... which is stupid because rankings don't freaking matter.

I sincerely hope that you guys get in. Best of luck :)
Isn't UCD already #1 for vet med?

Via the portal, which you should get an email saying that you have a new portal message. We're all thinking we should know tomorrow bc the last portal message said that invites and rejections will be sent out the week of the 17th, and last year it was a Wednesday. So we're all predicting tomorrow is d-day. ;)

Ah, thank you!

I hope tomorrow is the day whether it's good or bad news. I'm tired of this constant freaking out every time I get an email. lol

I hope tomorrow is the day whether it's good or bad news. I'm tired of this constant freaking out every time I get an email. lol

Same here. I feel a little better after my previous rant, but I still got the butterflies. Definitely want to be done with this, good or bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I feel a little better after my previous rant, but I still got the butterflies. Definitely want to be done with this, good or bad news.
I haven't heard from ANY of my schools yet. If I hear from Davis tomorrow that will be the first. I applied to 7 schools. My waiting game is no where near over! Lol!! :wacky:

I haven't heard from ANY of my schools yet. If I hear from Davis tomorrow that will be the first. I applied to 7 schools. My waiting game is no where near over! Lol!! :wacky:
Exact same for me. The only school I really care about will be the last I hear from in February :(

LOL me too. I have my email synced to my phone, comp, and tablet. Every time I get an email and I'm in class I start sweating buckets :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Exact same for me. The only school I really care about will be the last I hear from in February :(

Add me to the list. First of 6.

LOL me too. I have my email synced to my phone, comp, and tablet. Every time I get an email and I'm in class I start sweating buckets :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I admire you. I'm at the point where I don't even want to open any email. Every single one is making me nauseous. My previous calm is now over and I'm afraid to see what my result is...

I have 2 huge exams today, that I'm definitely not prepared for....and all I can do is think about when I am going to get that email!! Gahhhhhh!! :heckyeah:

Anyone else majorly getting senioritis here (for those of you who are still in college?) :D:rolleyes::X3:

Good luck on your exam, Hollista!

@Hollista Good luck on your exams!!!!!!! :) Sending you good vibes;)
@princesscorgi93 I feel you. I have a Biochem II exam on Friday. I have no motivation to study today. Been feeling anxious :(

Thanks everyone! Yeah first exam sucked. One of those "I studied all the wrong things exams" ugghhh. I just keep checking my email every 5 minutes, can't focus!!!!

I got my interview invite!

Saddd prob me too

I wish they do. at this rate with my luck they'll keep me in suspense and then tell me rejection on the last day. Unnecessary anxiety...

My heart jumps at each new email. Eyes glued to the computer!

Just curious are those of you who have invites IS or OOS?

Congrats! :banana:

They could hold off on sending rejections until November 28... so I probably won't get my rejection until then... lol

Why that particular date?
That's what they said in a past message I got from them through the portal. It said "If you are granted an interview, you will be notified via your portal starting the week of November 17. We anticipate interviewing approximately 240 applicants. All applicants not offered an interview will be informed of our final admission decision via the applicant portal by November 28."

I'm guessing the initial group is sent out all at once, then waitlist fills in if someone drops it, rather than invitations in batches? I mean I figure I might as well just take it as a rejection and hope another school will interview me rather than mope on this til the 28th.

It's nice that they send out invitations day after Thanksgiving... Thanks Davis. At least its not day of cause that would just be cruel :(

@pirateslayme :confused: It's still going to ruin my Thanksgiving because that's all I will think of!....I need a drink.

I got my interview invite woot woot :D Congrats to everyone else too!

I got an interview! Congrats to everyone else who did!

Congrats again to all those who got an interview.

Now...I understand I can call in to see why I'm rejected and how to improve. When should I do this?

If I haven't gotten the email yet, does that for sure mean I wasn't invited for an interview? Or could they still be sending them out?

If I haven't gotten the email yet, does that for sure mean I wasn't invited for an interview? Or could they still be sending them out?

I haven't received an email, but the portal indicates I have received an interview offer.