UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called today and they said all the interview invites were already sent out. I'm on the wait list, you're right @scivet116 it's better than nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I called today and they said all the interview invites were already sent out. I'm on the wait list, you're right @scivet116 it's better than nothing!

Congratulations! After feeling like I didn’t get an interview all day, I am SO happy to be on the waitlist :)

Waitlisted for interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who are instate and were offered an interview. Could you share your stats. My friend unfortunately did not receive one and wants to figure out what went wrong. Here's mine..

Last 45: 3.76
Science: 3.71
Overall: 3.70
Quant GRE: 55% (only took it once and did terrible.)

Thanks.

To those who are instate and were offered an interview. Could you share your stats. My friend unfortunately did not receive one and wants to figure out what went wrong. Here's mine..

Thanks.

My money would be on that quant GRE. Mine was around 80% or something, albeit my overall gpa was around 3.3-3.4, and science was probably lower. Last 45 was 4.0 I think. Guessing my LoRs carried me.

Congrats everyone who got an invite! Got my official rejection email this evening. Time to pack my bag I guess! Lol.

Congrats to people who got interview invites and good luck, I'm IS and will be interviewing on the 5th, too!

My stats as an instate since it was requested:

cumulative: 3.73
science: 3.84
last 45: 3.95
GRE for quant: 76th percentile

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone who got an invite! Got my official rejection email this evening. Time to pack my bag I guess! Lol.
Same here! Now hopefully I get in to an out of state school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

IS
Last 45: 3.82
Cummulative: 3.5
Science: 3.45
GRE Quant 76%

I think it was my GRE and LOR that carried me too. I'm working with a vet who's a UCD alumni and very well known in the derm field!

Excited to meet anyone who's interviewing on Dec 5!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :soexcited:

Congrats to everyone who got in! I got waitlisted. :(
I have no idea how far down the waitlist I am, but if anyone wants to make an easy $100 to decline an interview, hmu

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who got in! I got waitlisted. :(
I have no idea how far down the waitlist I am, but if anyone wants to make an easy $100 to decline an interview, hmu

Lol! I got waitlisted too. On the portal it said only 20 people are on the waitlist, so it's not entirely impossible.

IS
I think it was my GRE and LOR that carried me too. I'm working with a vet who's a UCD alumni and very well known in the derm field!

Your letters of rec aren't part of what they consider for interview invitation. Basically, they're needed for application completeness, but they're not read. The only things they look at are your quant GRE, your GPA, and how your LoR writers "rank" you on a scale they fill out when they submit your letter. But the letter itself or who wrote it isn't considered. That may change in the future, but it is what it is.

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview! For those who didn't, don't give up. It took me more than one try, but I'm so happy that I did't give up and I'm so happy in vet school. So even if you don't get in first try, doesn't mean you don't belong or are doomed to never get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol! I got waitlisted too. On the portal it said only 20 people are on the waitlist, so it's not entirely impossible.

There have definitely been people waitlisted, invited for an interview, and then accepted! In case anyone's wondering, interviewees have until Nov. 14 to schedule an interview, and there are now 40 (out of an original 238) spots open.

Does anyone know if there's a way to stay with a student, or would any of you be interested in sharing the cost of someplace else? I'm flying in Sunday the 4th and will be staying that night and the night of Monday the 5th. @Coopah and @Lucy410, I saw you're both interviewing 12/5 as well. If you (or anyone else) want to split a room for either of those nights, please let me know!

There have definitely been people waitlisted, invited for an interview, and then accepted! In case anyone's wondering, interviewees have until Nov. 14 to schedule an interview, and there are now 40 (out of an original 238) spots open.

Does anyone know if there's a way to stay with a student, or would any of you be interested in sharing the cost of someplace else? I'm flying in Sunday the 4th and will be staying that night and the night of Monday the 5th. @Coopah and @Lucy410, I saw you're both interviewing 12/5 as well. If you (or anyone else) want to split a room for either of those nights, please let me know!

We're staying for free because of all the reward point for the hotel my husband racks up as a part of his job. Definitely makes traveling easier, but thanks for the offer! We're also staying for that time frame so we should definitely meet up!

On another note, besides reading ethics books, how do you prepare for an MMI? Anyone know any good sources?

We're staying for free because of all the reward point for the hotel my husband racks up as a part of his job. Definitely makes traveling easier, but thanks for the offer! We're also staying for that time frame so we should definitely meet up!

On another note, besides reading ethics books, how do you prepare for an MMI? Anyone know any good sources?
I would look up previous MMI questions (SDN, or google). Not sure if ethics books would have been the most helpful.

*Low GPA alert! I feel like they must actually factor in more than they say they do.

Regardless, this was the only school I applied to, so I'm super excited to be interviewing on the 6th! Woohoo! See many of you there!

IS
Cumulative 3.64
Last 45: 3.58
Overall science: 3.53
GRE: Quant 82, Verbal 99, Writing 82
Your GRE scores are great, so that probably carried you through! I have a similar GPA, but didn't do so hot on the GRE and didnt get an interview! Congrats to everyone who did though!!!

Any advice?! Or know any links that prepare us for interviews.

My understanding is it's 100 minutes. 10 stations (10 minutes each).

Last edited:

Thanks for reaching out, but unfortunately I won't be able to... unless you want to listen to my husband snoring all night! ;) We only live a few hours away so he's driving up with me and staying the night too.

That said, I'd love to meet up with anyone who will be around the night of the 4th! Maybe we could meet up somewhere in downtown Davis to grab dinner?

Regardless, this was the only school I applied to, so I'm super excited to be interviewing on the 6th! Woohoo! See many of you there!

Davis was also the only place I applied this cycle! I'm IS too. I was also ridiculously excited to get the interview invite... and I'm ridiculously nervous about screwing up the interview!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview!!! I'm excited to meet everyone interviewing on the 1st!

Stats as requested:
IS
Cumulative 3.97
Last 45: 3.97
Overall science: 3.98
GRE: Quant 87th percentile

Thanks for reaching out, but unfortunately I won't be able to... unless you want to listen to my husband snoring all night! ;) We only live a few hours away so he's driving up with me and staying the night too.

That said, I'd love to meet up with anyone who will be around the night of the 4th! Maybe we could meet up somewhere in downtown Davis to grab dinner?

I would love too, but that would be a really late dinner. My plane lands at about 10:30pm since I'm flying in from literally across the country. Since we're also crossing timezones, it will feel about 1:30am. :sleep: We're free the whole day of the interview, I'm bringing my husband too so maybe they can find something to chat about besides school. Then we are flying out at an ungodly early hour to get back to my pup. I hate leaving him for more than a few hours, these interviews are difficult on him.

How are you all preparing for interviews?

I'm interviewing on the 5th as well, OOS and flying in from New York City. I get in around 6 on the 4th to Sacramento and am driving in- I'd love to meet up for dinner with anyone else who's going to be in town. :)

Shopping on Amazon and watching Supernatural.
lizard chair.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Tru.
Although actual question, what are y'all going to wear? They specify business attire, but are people planning on showing up in full suits, or more business casual (i.e. dark jeans, blazer)

Y'all? Aren't you from NYC.

Definitely would not advise jeans. You want to dress to impress.

Tru.
Although actual question, what are y'all going to wear? They specify business attire, but are people planning on showing up in full suits, or more business casual (i.e. dark jeans, blazer)

My current UC Davis SVM friends tell me that on interview day, Davis takes your picture for your student ID card in the case that you do get accepted.

At my other vet school interview, almost everyone wore a suit (slacks or a long skirt with a blouse and a blazer), and closed toe heels or flats. I think the standard at Davis will also be business formal.

I have a question for current students. What is your curriculum like? I saw on the UC Davis website it is very different than the normal first year of bulk anatomy with a few extra classes thrown in on the side. How is it structured exactly? I was able to derive that it was systems based and seemed to reinforce topics from all sides as opposed to learning the structure and function then going back and learning all the ways it could go wrong. Do you enjoy it? How many classes do you take at once? What's your day to day schedule like? Thank you for any input!

I have a question for current students. What is your curriculum like? I saw on the UC Davis website it is very different than the normal first year of bulk anatomy with a few extra classes thrown in on the side. How is it structured exactly? I was able to derive that it was systems based and seemed to reinforce topics from all sides as opposed to learning the structure and function then going back and learning all the ways it could go wrong. Do you enjoy it? How many classes do you take at once? What's your day to day schedule like? Thank you for any input!
So far, I really like the curriculum. We had 8 weeks of "basic foundations", which really was a bit of everything. We are now in the middle of 4 weeks of hematology/immunology/couagulation. On a day to day basis, we typically are in class from at least 9-4ish, with lunch from 12-1. Most days we have 3ish lectures and a few hours of a lab or PBL/TBL/CBL (group work stuff)

I second everything @s.tochastic said.

To answer each of your questions in order: The structure is we take one "block" at a time, I love it, and we pretty much take one "class" at a time. Schedule is usually 9-4, sometimes done at 2 or 3, sometimes starting at 8am. Usually we have 2-5 lectures a day and 0-2 labs a day.

I really like the way the classes are divided up. Instead of college where you take 3-4 classes per semester/quarter, we pretty much focus on one topic or related topics at a time (with the exception of foundations, the first block, which is a little bit of everything). I expected to be kicked in teeth from start to finish (based on what older grads of Davis had told me) but they really have changed things to be more supportive and kind of "ease" you into the work level of vet school. Hope that answers your questions!

Tru.
No business casual! Wear a full on suite, skirt or pants, doesn't matter, whichever you're more comfortable in. Be aware you'll be touring the facilities after (so avoid the 8 inch heels). I wore boots with a 1.5 inch heel (because I'm short lol) and a pants suite with a nice blouse. Other people work skirts with pantyhose. Definitely do not wear jeans. You will stick out like a sore thumb.

I got a couple medical books on the MMI and practiced the timing in front of my partner. Get a topic, set the click, give yourself 2-3 minutes, and try to talk for 6-7 minutes. Have your friends set up a mock interview or ask a professor to be your evaluator. They will see things you won't--that you say "um" every other word, twirl your hair, or twist your hands nervously. You will be nervous the day of, you'll want to talk faster, so practice with these things in mind.

My current UC Davis SVM friends tell me that on interview day, Davis takes your picture for your student ID card in the case that you do get accepted.

I can confirm this! I can also confirm that half my classmates look different on their cards than in person because we're never that dressed up on a day-to-day basis. :p

The other big thing to remember is that each mini interview is separate, so even if you feel like you messed up the last interview, don't let that carry over. I tend to read fast, so gave myself the first 30 seconds - 1 minute after each interview to clear my head and forget anything from the past interview before I started prepping for the next one. I feel like it really helped me during the process.

So far, I really like the curriculum. We had 8 weeks of "basic foundations", which really was a bit of everything. We are now in the middle of 4 weeks of hematology/immunology/couagulation. On a day to day basis, we typically are in class from at least 9-4ish, with lunch from 12-1. Most days we have 3ish lectures and a few hours of a lab or PBL/TBL/CBL (group work stuff)

I second everything @s.tochastic said.

To answer each of your questions in order: The structure is we take one "block" at a time, I love it, and we pretty much take one "class" at a time. Schedule is usually 9-4, sometimes done at 2 or 3, sometimes starting at 8am. Usually we have 2-5 lectures a day and 0-2 labs a day.

I really like the way the classes are divided up. Instead of college where you take 3-4 classes per semester/quarter, we pretty much focus on one topic or related topics at a time (with the exception of foundations, the first block, which is a little bit of everything). I expected to be kicked in teeth from start to finish (based on what older grads of Davis had told me) but they really have changed things to be more supportive and kind of "ease" you into the work level of vet school. Hope that answers your questions!

Thanks for the info guys! I really like the idea of focusing on only one "class" at a time. As a follow up for current students, I know California living can be expensive. Since I'm married, I don't especially want roommates. Do you know what a reasonable one to two bedroom apartment would cost? I'm definitely not talking about those 400-450 sqft apartments either, I don't know how it's possible to live in those o_O.

Thanks for the info guys! I really like the idea of focusing on only one "class" at a time. As a follow up for current students, I know California living can be expensive. Since I'm married, I don't especially want roommates. Do you know what a reasonable one to two bedroom apartment would cost? I'm definitely not talking about those 400-450 sqft apartments either, I don't know how it's possible to live in those o_O.
Housing is pricey in Ca but davis is pretty affordable. A one bedroom ranges 1050 to 1500 depending on how many bells and whistles you want. some areas in sac are cheaper still, 800 for a house, but its a nontrivial commute.

Y'all? Aren't you from NYC.

Definitely would not advise jeans. You want to dress to impress.

I'm from Missouri, living in NYC, but I also spent a few summers doing Zoo hospital work in the deep south. And I listen to a great deal of country music. :)
And my default plan was formal business- just wanted to see if anyone had interpreted the dress code differently.

For those on the wait list / the edge of their seats, still 16 interview slots available on the schedule. All on Tuesday, 12/6 (11 at 8am and 5 at 12:20pm). They're trickling in little by little, but I still have hope for you :) I'd want to know the status if I were waiting!
Thank you! Keep us posted!

I just got off the interview waitlist!!! There are 8 slots left.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got off the interview waitlist!!! There are 8 slots left.

Congratulations! That's awesome! :)

Just looked on the portal and there are now 6 interview slots unclaimed, all on Tuesday 12/6 at 8:00am.

Does anybody have any idea if we can see a class like they said we might be able to on the portal? They said details upcoming but I wasn't sure if anyone had heard anything.

Is anyone else having to miss the information session? It looks like I might not be able to go, but I am worried about missing all of the important school info :(

I'll be seeing anyone who's interviewing on the 2nd!

Stats for IS
Cum GPA: 3.9
Last 45: 4.0
Science: 4.0
GRE Quant: 67

Will be practicing MMI questions I can find on google just to get some practice to the pace of the interviews. Best of luck and congrats! :highfive:

Is anyone else having to miss the information session? It looks like I might not be able to go, but I am worried about missing all of the important school info :(

They said they would record and post the info session afterwards so no worries!

Does anyone know if a UC Davis' acceptance is contingent on anything besides obtaining a bachelor degree prior to starting the DVM program?

Just wanted to know ahead of time for GPA purposes!

Does anyone know if a UC Davis' acceptance is contingent on anything besides obtaining a bachelor degree prior to starting the DVM program?

Just wanted to know ahead of time for GPA purposes!

You also have to have completed all of your pre-reqs by the end of the spring semester prior to matriculation, but I haven't seen a GPA requirement you need to maintain after admission. However, the admissions committee for any program/university typically expects admitted students to maintain a similar level of academic performance after admission. If you were admitted in January and decided to just coast through senior spring, and received a bunch of Ds or something, that might cause them to rescind your admission. I wouldn't risk it, personally. If you're admitted it's because you're a strong student - just keep it up! :)