UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's a frickin snowstorm in Chicago, my flight to CA has been delayed. If it goes any later I will miss my connecting flight and not get there in time for my interview tomorrow. Anybody know how UC Davis is about rescheduling due to weather? I know they said only in cases of extreme emergency.

@Coopah have you had any luck getting on a flight? Thinking of you. Hopefully I'll see you there tomorrow. (hugs)

Members don't see this ad.

Holy cow guys what a night! I had to run to an airport an hour away I was literally sprinting through the airport my family were all saying "you'll never make it through security in time, Logan takes forever." We rushed into the airport with 25 minutes before the plane leaves, and they've already stared boarding. I abandon my husband with the car and book it to security which is miraculously empty, pass through and run to my gate. Where I wait to see if my husband is going to make it. He gets there and we just sit for a minute coughing because we just sprinted farther than I have walked in the last week combined, then boarded a flight to San Francisco. We just landed and have to sort out the car and change our return flight to take us to the other airport instead, and still have to drive 1.5 to 2 hours to the hotel. I'm so shocked we made it.

Reactions: 6 users
Holy cow guys what a night! I had to run to an airport an hour away I was literally sprinting through the airport my family were all saying "you'll never make it through security in time, Logan takes forever." We rushed into the airport with 25 minutes before the plane leaves, and they've already stared boarding. I abandon my husband with the car and book it to security which is miraculously empty, pass through and run to my gate. Where I wait to see if my husband is going to make it. He gets there and we just sit for a minute coughing because we just sprinted farther than I have walked in the last week combined, then boarded a flight to San Francisco. We just landed and have to sort out the car and change our return flight to take us to the other airport instead, and still have to drive 1.5 to 2 hours to the hotel. I'm so shocked we made it.

Woohooo! So glad you made it! Try to get some good rest tonight. I look forward to meeting you tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad it all worked out Coopah! That's so stressful

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good luck today @Coopah!!! I know you will do well today. Good luck to you all.

Thanks I think it went well. I had a ridiculously fun time in the interview, so I hope I get to meet you all tonight!

I'm glad you did!!! I had a hard time lol

I went today not entirely too sure how i feel about it, there were only a few stations I felt like I really nailed. Rest who knows, lol. Now the horrible waiting game.

Good luck if anyone is tmrw! I'll be going to pizza tmrw even though I interviewed today

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know more specifics about when in January they will release decisions?

Does anyone know more specifics about when in January they will release decisions?

Mid to late January. Usually a Friday, presumably so they aren't pestered until the following Monday

I interviewed today too. Overall I think it went pretty well. There were three stations in particular at which there were things I know I could have done better, but I don't think I bombed any. It's hard not to dwell on it and rehash everything I said, though. It's going to be a hard wait until decisions.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

Last edited:
CONGRATS TO EVERYONE FOR COMPLETING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on finishing interviews you guys! Try and keep busy until January. Looking forward to meeting you guys in Fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on finishing interviews you guys! Try and keep busy until January. Looking forward to meeting you guys in Fall!

Thank you! Not sure if you were one of the current students at the pizza social, but thank you to all the students who took the time to answer our questions and make us feel welcome. Everyone was so friendly and warm and it really helped after such a stressful day.

Thank you! Not sure if you were one of the current students at the pizza social, but thank you to all the students who took the time to answer our questions and make us feel welcome. Everyone was so friendly and warm and it really helped after such a stressful day.
Ditto to this!!!! Thank you for such an amazing day!!!!

Could not agree more! My tour guide was great, and I enjoyed meeting other applicants, too.

I kind of wish I didn't love the school so much, because it's making the wait that much more difficult!

Hey!! So does anyone know how many out of states interviewd and if so how many positions are available to OOS?

Hey!! So does anyone know how many out of states interviewd and if so how many positions are available to OOS?
I have no idea but I thought I remember something related to this-- that once we got interviews it was all based on our interview score. In other words, it doesn't matter if we are out of state or in state. It's how well we did in our interview.

I have no idea but I thought I remember something related to this-- that once we got interviews it was all based on our interview score. In other words, it doesn't matter if we are out of state or in state. It's how well we did in our interview.
That's what someone said a few pages back. I know there's been a combined IS/OOS waitlist before so that makes sense.

Yes to what the others said. I believe all acceptances from this point forward are based solely on MMI scores. They limit the OOS applicants by not inviting as many to interview. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me :).

New year, same stressing about acceptance letters. Good luck everyone, just a couple more weeks to go.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if this is still the case?

There are no outright "Nos." Candidates are either offered admission or placed on the wait list.

Found it in the c/o 2019 thread.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Found it in the c/o 2019 thread.
They told us on our interview day that this would be the case as well.

Last year they called people for interviews on Jan 9th so I'm hoping we hear from them within the next week or so!

Last year they called people for interviews on Jan 9th so I'm hoping we hear from them within the next week or so!

On the day that I went to interview they said we would be hearing closer to the end of January

On the day that I went to interview they said we would be hearing closer to the end of January

Haha I know; that's what they told my group as well!

However, the student who took us on the campus tour said that some years they've notified people earlier than they indicated on interview day :)

So I'm just hoping they do this year like they did last year (they also notified class of 2019 on Jan 9th as well)! The wait is killing me.

*Correction: They heard on 1/14 for class of 2020

Last edited:
Last year they heard 5 weeks after interviewing and the past two years before that they heard 4 weeks after interviewing. Considering this year we interviewed a week earlier I'd be surprised if we didn't hear this week.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year they heard 5 weeks after interviewing and the past two years before that they heard 4 weeks after interviewing. Considering this year we interviewed a week earlier I'd be surprised if we didn't hear this week.

Super like! I hope that's true!

Omg I cant believe its January.....Good luck to everyone!!!

@VetADMIN Any update as to when decisions will be released?

Reactions: 4 users
Were we supposed to send Fall transcripts? I can't find anything in my email but I thought I'd ask here just in case!

Were we supposed to send Fall transcripts? I can't find anything in my email but I thought I'd ask here just in case!

Feb 1 is the deadline. I found it on the Application Process & Timeline page.

Nope. Though probably if you're accepted.

@VetADMIN Any update as to when decisions will be released?

End of January, but they have gone out mid-January in years past so you can tell those butterflies to settle down for a couple weeks

Did they ever talk about how many people will be offered admission? Was it like 165? Out of 238 applicants. (Sorry not trying to stress people out--just thought of the question hahaha stay positive everyone :soexcited: we got this :))

So if they want accepted student transcripts by 2/1 that means we need to have time to send them (at least a couple of weeks, I assume) so maybe we will hear sooner (I hope!) :). Does anyone know the address we send them to? I did not see it on the website.

Did they ever talk about how many people will be offered admission? Was it like 165? Out of 238 applicants. (Sorry not trying to stress people out--just thought of the question hahaha stay positive everyone :soexcited: we got this :))

I don't remember them giving a number, but according to the admission stats on their website, for the class of 2020 and class of 2019, they made offers to 161 applicants for a class size of 140-145. That probably includes waitlisted students who were then accepted.

So if they want accepted student transcripts by 2/1 that means we need to have time to send them (at least a couple of weeks, I assume) so maybe we will hear sooner (I hope!) :). Does anyone know the address we send them to? I did not see it on the website.
I would call admissions just to triple check. :) They are all super nice and helpful!

I believe it was 145/238 will be offered admission but they will be accepting probably 10-15 more than that because they expect a small number of those 145 to decline admission.

I was hoping we would be told sooner than previous years since everything else was earlier, but probably just wishful thinking lol. Especially since the university (non-vet) had a four week winter break rather than three. Not sure if a longer break is applicable to the vet school too.

I believe it was 145/238 will be offered admission but they will be accepting probably 10-15 more than that because they expect a small number of those 145 to decline admission.

Thank you, I appreciate the response!!

I really hope we are informed this week :) I cant stop looking at my calendar lol

I really hope we are informed this week :) I cant stop looking at my calendar lol

Acceptances have gone out the second week of January for three of the last four years (last year, they went out the third week) so I think next week will be it!

It's not stopping me from stressing out this week, but I think we still have time. My guess is next Thursday, but it looks like next Friday the 13th is a likely date :eek:

If it helps at all, they're on break until the 9th

I'm so excited for you guys. I keep checking back to see if y'all have heard, and clearly not yet, but very soon! Hang in there :)

To any current UCD students--how much hands on do you really get? I feel like it was one of the least of all of the vet schools I have been looking at. Can anyone elaborate a little on this? I mean, do you come out a "confident" practicing veterinarian or do you really need internships/residencies/etc to get those basic surgery skills down? I hope my question is clear.

To any current UCD students--how much hands on do you really get? I feel like it was one of the least of all of the vet schools I have been looking at. Can anyone elaborate a little on this? I mean, do you come out a "confident" practicing veterinarian or do you really need internships/residencies/etc to get those basic surgery skills down? I hope my question is clear.

The absolute last place you're going to get basic surgery skills is in most rotating internships, unless they have a heavy GP/shelter/spay/neuter component.

The curriculum has changed since I went to UCD, however I believe most of the surgical training has remained similar. Third year everyone does a cat spay, dog spay and dog neuter as part of the surgery course. Fourth year there's a small animal community surgery rotation that I think most people end up taking at least once or twice where you perform spays/neuters/basic surgeries that a GP would do, with faculty guidance but you're the primary surgeon on them. There are a lot of opportunities for feral cat spay/neuter at TNR clinics and a few of them let 2nd year students do cat neuters and 3rd/4th year students do spays. So, the curriculum has an okay surgical core built-in and there are opportunities to expand. On the large animal side I'm not as familiar as Davis is for all intents and purposes a tracking curriculum, though I did get to do some surgeries on the elective food animal rotation I took.

As far as coming out a "confident" practicing veterinarian from ANY school....well.......probably not. If you're super confident coming out of school you're probably dangerous, to be honest. I feel that I was very well prepared for my internship, and I think most of my friends who went into GP felt well-prepared as well. Doing a few rotations at other schools made me appreciate how much they let us really do during our clinical year, honestly. I felt very involved in my cases senior year.

Has anyone been unable to access the survey? I've tried several times and each time the link is not working?

Has anyone been unable to access the survey? I've tried several times and each time the link is not working?
It worked for me. I filled it out soon after getting it.