UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here it being your second time interviewing with Davis?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone wondering chance of acceptance after the interview, I ran some numbers (because I'm weird and run numbers for everything). "Approximately 238 of the most academically competitive applicants will interview for one of the 145 positions available." This is from the website. This means that 60.9% of interviewees will receive an offer of admission. However, in the past two years, UC Davis has called people up from the waitlist, and each year offered a total of 161 acceptances. This means that 67.6% of interviewees get acceptances assuming the numbers remain the same for this year. This is raw data of course and is in no way intended to offer chances of individual admission.

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone wondering chance of acceptance after the interview, I ran some numbers (because I'm weird and run numbers for everything). "Approximately 238 of the most academically competitive applicants will interview for one of the 145 positions available." This is from the website. This means that 60.9% of interviewees will receive an offer of admission. However, in the past two years, UC Davis has called people up from the waitlist, and each year offered a total of 161 acceptances. This means that 67.6% of interviewees get acceptances assuming the numbers remain the same for this year. This is raw data of course and is in no way intended to offer chances of individual admission.

Good Point, Thank you for sharing this :)

The best advice I can give to everyone is to go in with a clear mind! You've made it this far--compliment yourself for being invited to the number one vet school.
Remember the following; poise, confidence and being personable. You will do well :)

Reactions: 1 user
"Please make your selection by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, November 14. After that time, we will begin offering interviews to applicants on our interview waitlist."

Almost there those who are waiting! Four left.

The deadline has passed and as of right now it looks like there are still 4 slots left! I hope those of you on the interview waitlist get some good news soon! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an email this afternoon to check my portal. They said that 3 people declined their interviews and so 3 people were pulled off the waitlist. They said that I was number 1 now on the waitlist and that they would let me know by Nov 28th if anyone else declines their interview. So if anyone is right behind me on the waitlist not all hope is lost yet XD haha. I'm not holding my breath though.

Got pulled off the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone happy thanksgiving and I hope the interview prep is going well!

I've been reading an MMI book thats for med school and just wanted to make sure it is even relevant to the Davis interview specifically. We can see three station types. One in which we answer questions, one where we interact with an actor, and one where we collaborate with another interviewees in a teamwork exercise. Will all three of these types be in the Davis MMI?

Also, the med book said you typically have 7 minutes, and you should make sure to save 2 minutes for their questions. Obviously that differs since the raters don't interact with us at the Davis MMI, but that is about 5 min of talking. In the email, however, it looks like we get multiple questions per station (3), so we get about 2 minutes per question? Just wanted to make sure that was right, should I be practicing a two minute response or seven lol?

Thanks for the help and good luck next week and the following :)!

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been reading an MMI book thats for med school and just wanted to make sure it is even relevant to the Davis interview specifically. We can see three station types. One in which we answer questions, one where we interact with an actor, and one where we collaborate with another interviewees in a teamwork exercise. Will all three of these types be in the Davis MMI?

Also, the med book said you typically have 7 minutes, and you should make sure to save 2 minutes for their questions. Obviously that differs since the raters don't interact with us at the Davis MMI, but that is about 5 min of talking. In the email, however, it looks like we get multiple questions per station (3), so we get about 2 minutes per question? Just wanted to make sure that was right, should I be practicing a two minute response or seven lol?

No one who has interviewed is going to be able to answer your questions. They sign a confidentiality agreement. The only information we get is what was sent to us in that email.

No one who has interviewed is going to be able to answer your questions. They sign a confidentiality agreement. The only information we get is what was sent to us in that email.

Wasn't sure if that only applied to the specific questions/content, but can see how they wouldn't want more general questions like mine answered too and only the email is what's given. Thanks for the reply anyways :)

Hello!
Interviewing Dec. 5, so I finally quit lurking around and made a profile
I'm currently stressing over the MMI, looking for advice, any advice at all! I found this page and it seems pretty helpful, but does anyone else have any tips that you've heard, or good websites? http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/site/WebFile/Veterinary School Interview Questions.pdf

I bought an mmi book on amazon that I like, it has good tips. I bought one with a white cover and another with a tan cover, I prefer the tan covered one. It's by Desai. I also bought rollins book, I really like the ethical framework it gives you to think about ethics and its case studies. However, its probably not all that worthwhile with the interview so close, since I imagine we will only get a few ethical dilemma type questions.

So I can't give you any details, but what I can say is the format of MMIs will differ from school to school and also somewhat between vet and med schools. You WILL get some information the day of and a chance to ask questions before the MMI starts. As for types of questions, you should be prepared for every type of question imaginable--some obvious, some not so. Remember to take your time, take a breath, make sure you answer the question completely, be polite, make eye contact, shake hands and say thank you, etc.--normal interview stuff. Don't be afraid to take a moment to think about your response--it's okay to pause thoughtfully, and much better than rambling on and on or saying "um uh uh I uh um."

You will do great! Deep breath, shake off the nerves, and remember each station is its own world, so in between make sure you get your mind out of the old game and into the new.

Hello!
Interviewing Dec. 5, so I finally quit lurking around and made a profile
I'm currently stressing over the MMI, looking for advice, any advice at all! I found this page and it seems pretty helpful, but does anyone else have any tips that you've heard, or good websites? http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/site/WebFile/Veterinary School Interview Questions.pdf
Congrats on your interview! I can tell you last year I googled a lot of sites like these, and while I don't know how much it really prepared me, it made me feel better, so that's something. You won't feel prepared no matter what you do, so focus on the things you can control--posture, eye contact, rate of talking, etc. Enunciate when you talk. Don't fiddle with your hair, keep your hands fairly still, don't play with the paper in front of you. Take your time to formulate a response and don't ramble or repeat. Remember you're basically giving little mini speeches since the interviewers can't interact with you. Also, the interviewers are really awesome people. Like, really awesome. So even though they may not be able to smile or nod or give you any kind of feedback, don't let that get to you. Let your personality shine through. Be honest. Don't curse (just sayin'). You'll do fine. I'm excited to meet some of you guys! I don't know exactly which days I'll be there, but remember that the Davis students who agreed to come to the events are excited to meet you and will happily answer any questions you have after the MMIs. We're excited to meet the next class!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer! I get cold easily- how comfortable/warm/cold is Gladys Valley Hall, typically? And what do people typically wear to the pizza social? I'm planning on wearing my suit minus the jacket (I'll have a blouse underneath) but I don't want to look out of place.

I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer! I get cold easily- how comfortable/warm/cold is Gladys Valley Hall, typically? And what do people typically wear to the pizza social? I'm planning on wearing my suit minus the jacket (I'll have a blouse underneath) but I don't want to look out of place.

I have that question as well, but I was wondering if it's OK to change into jeans after the interview process and presentations.

Valley hall tends to be on the chilly side, and the rooms you'll be in can vary in temp (some are warmer than others). Depends on how you get when you're nervous--my hands get cold but overall I feel hot and sweaty, so I purposely dressed lightly (blouse and jacket) and just dealt with the cold hands. The other thing is once you're doing your MMI you won't have a spot to put extra articles of clothing, and it's one more thing to think about or remember between rooms. Suit minus jacket is totally fine for the pizza social. Also see below.

I have that question as well, but I was wondering if it's OK to change into jeans after the interview process and presentations.

I think that's fine! A lot of us didn't think to bring clothes to change into, but I remember a few people did, especially more comfortable shoes (ugh heels), and the pizza social is meant to be casual and fun. I wouldn't wear anything you wouldn't want to meet the Dean in, though (in other words, if jeans, NICE dark jeans that aren't acid washed or ripped, flats but not beat-up sneaks, etc.) because he may be there among other professionals, so dress NICE casual if you do change.

Valley hall tends to be on the chilly side, and the rooms you'll be in can vary in temp (some are warmer than others). Depends on how you get when you're nervous--my hands get cold but overall I feel hot and sweaty, so I purposely dressed lightly (blouse and jacket) and just dealt with the cold hands. The other thing is once you're doing your MMI you won't have a spot to put extra articles of clothing, and it's one more thing to think about or remember between rooms. Suit minus jacket is totally fine for the pizza social. Also see below.

I think that's fine! A lot of us didn't think to bring clothes to change into, but I remember a few people did, especially more comfortable shoes (ugh heels), and the pizza social is meant to be casual and fun. I wouldn't wear anything you wouldn't want to meet the Dean in, though (in other words, if jeans, NICE dark jeans that aren't acid washed or ripped, flats but not beat-up sneaks, etc.) because he may be there among other professionals, so dress NICE casual if you do change.

Thanks! Definitely not jeans for me then. Good to know about the Dean being there.

I get extra cold and shiver when I'm nervous, so I'll try to get an extra underlayer. Thanks for the help!

So, for any interview questions you might have, I agree with everything TerraVet said. There is only so much prep you can do and alot of the questions aren't the type of thing you can prepare for. My advice would be to try to take the weekend off and destress as much as you can.

Looking forward you seeing y'all at the pizza social (I will be there on the 5th, but there will be first years there on all of the days. )

Any December 1st people here??? :)

Big day for some folks tomorrow. Go get em, and remember to breathe!

Reactions: 2 users
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

My husband actually when I did research and is prepping a mock MMI for me. I think that's the sweetest thing ever :love:

That's awesome. It's great to have such a supportive partner. I've been practicing with my husband, too. Fingers crossed all this practicing pays off on the big day!

Good luck to everyone! See you there on the 5th.

That's awesome. It's great to have such a supportive partner. I've been practicing with my husband, too. Fingers crossed all this practicing pays off on the big day!

Good luck to everyone! See you there on the 5th.

Are we all meeting up for the 5th? Or just gonna see who we can find at the pizza party?

Are we all meeting up for the 5th? Or just gonna see who we can find at the pizza party?

I think I'll probably just be seeing everyone at the pizza social, since I made plans with a friend at Davis for the night before and we're driving home after the social.

Good luck to those interviewing today!!!

To those who interviewed yesterday--how do you feel?

I have mixed feelings. I definitely messed up on two scenarios.

I've heard for MMIs (in general, not specifically for UC Davis), you can usually mess up on a few and still get accepted. Some schools even drop the lowest score, though I don't know about UC Davis.

Did they give any information about when acceptances will go out? I know online they say by the end of January, but it's usually before then and a particular date would be nice!

Good luck to those still to interview, to those who are done, pat yourself on the back, give yourself an extra big mug of hot cocoa, try not to obsess too much (easier said than done I know!). For what its worth I felt like crap after my MMI until I got the call :p

Reactions: 5 users

Felt the same way. But I'm choosing to look at the positives...and to put it out of my head before I go crazy second guessing myself

I'd be happy to meet up! I'm coming in tomorrow afternoon so I could do dinner or coffee or something Sunday, or we can all see each other on Monday. I'll be at the pizza social and will probably sit in on a class.

If anyone wants to meet or just exchange names so there's at least one somewhat familiar person there, PM me.

I'd be happy to meet up! I'm coming in tomorrow afternoon so I could do dinner or coffee or something Sunday, or we can all see each other on Monday. I'll be at the pizza social and will probably sit in on a class.

If anyone wants to meet or just exchange names so there's at least one somewhat familiar person there, PM me.

I'd love that, I'm not flying in until 10:30pm local time though. This will be about 1:30am my time so I'm just going to crash at the hotel. When your interview time? We can totally work it in between the potential class visits and pizza party!

I'd love that, I'm not flying in until 10:30pm local time though. This will be about 1:30am my time so I'm just going to crash at the hotel. When your interview time? We can totally work it in between the potential class visits and pizza party!

Sounds good! I'm in the 10 AM group.

Did they give any information about when acceptances will go out? I know online they say by the end of January, but it's usually before then and a particular date would be nice![/QUOTE]

End of January is what they said. Hopefully that means that they will let us know sooner and that it is just a safeguard to make sure they have it all. January 31st seems SOOO FAR AWAY!!!!!

Did they give any information about when acceptances will go out? I know online they say by the end of January, but it's usually before then and a particular date would be nice!

End of January is what they said. Hopefully that means that they will let us know sooner and that it is just a safeguard to make sure they have it all. January 31st seems SOOO FAR AWAY!!!!![/QUOTE]

IIRC, the past couple of years Davis has given out acceptances more towards the beginning/middle of January. Hopefully, that will be true this year, too!

I definitely feel worse NOW than I had during/immediately after the interview.

I know forsure I messed up on one because halfway through talking I paused and it dawned on me like sunlight bursting through some clouds. And I looked at the rater who just smiled encouragingly.. the next few minutes before the bell dinged were complete hell haha.

Right now I'm just trying my best to avoid thinking about it, but I think I'll have a knot of anxiety in my stomach until January, sigh.

Exploring Davis today with my mom. Flew in from Charleston yesterday and she met me from Seattle. We're going to be going somewhere tonight for drinks and the Seahawks game if anyone is around and wants to meet up. :)

Exploring Davis today with my mom. Flew in from Charleston yesterday and she met me from Seattle. We're going to be going somewhere tonight for drinks and the Seahawks game if anyone is around and wants to meet up. :)

I know it's late-ish but if you're in Davis, the Graduate (corner of Russell and Anderson) is a good place to watch football there. Highly recommend. Also a good place to study. If you like studying in a loud environment with sports and Long Island iced teas. (I did)

There's a frickin snowstorm in Chicago, my flight to CA has been delayed. If it goes any later I will miss my connecting flight and not get there in time for my interview tomorrow. Anybody know how UC Davis is about rescheduling due to weather? I know they said only in cases of extreme emergency.

There's a frickin snowstorm in Chicago, my flight to CA has been delayed. If it goes any later I will miss my connecting flight and not get there in time for my interview tomorrow. Anybody know how UC Davis is about rescheduling due to weather? I know they said only in cases of extreme emergency.

Chicago ruins everything. Hard to say, they're pretty strict on their deadlines. If enough people are affected they might be flexible, but if not...pulling for you Coop. Maybe the airline can make something happen, or are all flights grounded until further notice

Chicago ruins everything. Hard to say, they're pretty strict on their deadlines. If enough people are affected they might be flexible, but if not...pulling for you Coop. Maybe the airline can make something happen, or are all flights grounded until further notice

Thanks they're just delayed right now, but apparently my connecting flight isn't. Dunno, I'll either make it there or I won't. Hopefully I'll see you guys tomorrow.

One of my classmates missed her interview due to weather, and she had to reschedule. She's a fourth year student now, so it didn't hurt her too badly :) Hopefully you make it, but if not then contact the school and they will probably work with you.

Not sure if this would help since it's only a difference of a few hours, but I have the last time slot tomorrow. If you have an earlier slot and UCDSVM is okay with it, I'd be able to switch to either earlier one. I currently live in Davis so its super easy for me to swap.

Hope your flight works out and doesnt get any more delays!

Thanks they're just delayed right now, but apparently my connecting flight isn't. Dunno, I'll either make it there or I won't. Hopefully I'll see you guys tomorrow.
Maybe there is a later connecting flight? Or a flight to a nearby airport that wouldn't be too long of a drive to Davis? I'm not sure where you are flying into but there are lots of other airports around here and the drive is not that bad (San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Rosa, and maybe even others). Hope you make it!!!