UC Davis!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. I got the paper app, but can anyone give me the url for the on-line secondary. thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I just off got the phone directly with Ed Dagang, Director of Admissions at UC Davis. He said that we had to do the online secondary (he apologized for the errors and delays with the system) and that we should keep the hard (paper) copy just in case they have more problems and need the paper copy. He reiterated that we needed to do the online version of the secondary. Good luck everyone!!! :clap:

Originally posted by voltron77
Hey guys. I just got the phone directly with Ed Dagang, Director of Admissions at UC Davis. He said that we had to do the online secondary (he apologized for the errors and delays with the system) and that we should keep the hard (paper) copy just in case they have more problems and need the paper copy. He reiterated that we needed to do the online version of the secondary. Good luck everyone!!! :clap:

I just got an email from Terri Hall and I got the same exact message.

Also, to those wondering about LORs (like I was for the past week), they specifically want 2 from science profs, and 1 from a non-science prof.

Does anybody know how much of an extension we've been granted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the email from Terri Hall today and I got the paper application in the mail last Tuesday. My email did not mention the paper one at all. So I am going to go with the online one since that seems to be the info others have gotten. I am really glad we have this thread because otherwise I would be very confused and it seems hard to reach the admissions office :)

Originally posted by wannabeadoc
I don't even know where to start for the UC davis question about a societal change or scientific advance? What sorts of topics are they looking for? Does anyone know of any good websites to look stuff up?

I just did an online search and found tons and tons of things in terms of medical/scientific breakthroughs and also changes in society that tie in very well with this. I am going to start writing my responses after work and see how it turns out! Good luck!!!

There is a link in one of the posts here on this thread that has some really good stories! I would recommend checking it out and reading some of the articles which are really short.......

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Okay, I have emailed, called, and called again. I ended up leaving a message because I only got voice mail. Anyways, now the database is down. It says to please access later. Is it just me or true for others as well?

THX

Violinrose......I just got back from a work meeting and the online secondary is down.....please access later....It was working fine around my lunch break and now it's down.....Just work on those essay responses and just cut and paste later I guess. Good luck!

Had to BUMP this thread before it got lost in all of the other threads!!!! :laugh:

OMG--the Davis application is so much worse this year than last (I'm a reapplicant)!!! Now they want a 1500 char. essay for each of the 6 activities sections????!!!!! (OK, cut & paste from AMCAS)

I thought last year's was horrible w/ those 4 main essays. Not to spoil the excitement for everyone, but I remember spending more than a week working on those essays last year, submitted the 2ndary in early Sept, waited 4 months & received an email rejection. They were notorious for sending out batches of mass email rejections. :mad:

Alright, enough complaining for today. Btw, first they wanted us to fill out the online 2ndary, then the paper one, & now it's back to the online (or both)??? Davis, get with it!!!!!!

(please excuse my bitter tone, I'm just having a bad day. I'm usu. pretty cheerio)

good luck with your applications everyone. how many people are just copying and pasting from the AMCAS, i have a couple of friends that are doing that and it seems risking to me. I guess I did it too, but It wasn't a direct copy, more of a loose bastardization of the AMCAS.
It sucks to hear people are still having troubles with the online application. Last year, they lost my secondary ndd my fee and it delayed my whole application forever and i was totally shocked about actually getting an interview. Davis is really odd about who they invite and who they reject, so good luck everyone. The pre-matriculation program starts tomorrow for those of us who are in class of '07.

Hey Moskeeto!

Good to hear from ya! Oops, if those activities miniessays were there last year, I didn't do them! :laugh: I feel drunk from having finished 18 secondaries!!!

Well, what sucks is that even if you do cut/paste from AMCAS for the 6 activities essays, you still have to discuss how it'll make you a better doctor. :rolleyes:

If you have time to check in w/ admissions, please let us know what the hell is going on over there. Wish you the best w/ orientation & PGYI! We'll miss you this year! :love:

Has anyone gotten the paper secondary without the online secondary?

BTW, Nefertari, I am a re-applicant too. Did you find out why things did not work out for you last year?

Originally posted by Violinrose
Has anyone gotten the paper secondary without the online secondary?
BTW, Nefertari, I am a re-applicant too. Did you find out why things did not work out for you last year?
Hi Violinrose,

Besides the frustration w/ Davis, how's the process going for you this year? The only thing I can think of is that maybe they didn't update the online system after it was down for 2 weeks this month & so you only received the paper one. Who knows--but I hope you've been able to get in touch w/ them since it sounds like they're switching back to the online one again.

I think my 2 problems last year were Aug mcat delay & late 2ndaries. So this summer I've been whipping out those 2ndaries as they come. Last year @ this time, I'd only finished 3, whereas I just mailed off my 19th one today! Yay!!!!

(Actually, for those monstrous 2ndaries I'm really glad I'm reapplying & have all my essays saved from last year. I edited/changed most of them, but there are always those questions which you can only answer a certain way.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nefertari and Violinrose.....

I, too am a reapplicant and learned a lot from last year. My two problems are the same as that of Nefertari........August MCATer and late secondary applications. I am trying to stay positive and work on these secondaries in a more timely manner!!!

I have had one situation come up where a person who wrote me a letter of recommendation forgot to attach a statement of confidentiality to my recommendation. Luckily, she just mailed it today and will call the admissions office to say that she will mail off the form again. Kinda stressed me out for a moment.

My advice is to stay positive and focused and just be organized and get things done in a very, very efficient manner if at all possible!!!!!:clap:

Hi fellow re-applicants:

I applied last year too and didn't get in anywhere. So, I am doing a post-bac this Fall and plan to reapply next summer. May I ask if you guys use the same essays, edited them or wrote something totally new from scratch? Is is true that med schools keep a file of applicants who applied there previously? Thanks!

Best of luck in this admission cycle, dedicated to-be-docs! :)

Hey guys!

It's great to see reapplicants popping up! It'll be comforting to have your company throughout the year.

voltron, you're not using a letter service? I remember that I attached the waiver to info for my recommenders & my premed office took care of the rest.

pyau03, I've heard of some schools merging your file w/ materials from previous years, but I don't think this happens @ every school (I don't think they have the time/staff to be so meticulous). Last year, my 2ndaries were submitted pretty late @ Oct & I have a feeling that most private schools didn't even read through my essays. Reliable sources on SDN have recommended that essays be rewritten, and I've tried to do that w/ open-ended essays.

But for "Why are you interested in our school?" I've only edited & added a few things--it's not like your reasons for applying to schools could have changed that drastically to completely rewrite that kind of essay. Editing is great--I went through all my essays & cut out anything that was boring, cheesy, sappy, etc. and they read much better this year.

My break's over & I've gotta get back to the topic of this thread--UC Davis 2ndary!!! Urrrggggh!!! ;)

Hi Nefertari.

I am using my postbac committee letter to send to medical schools. However, I got a letter from my employer who prefers to send the LOR directly and she forgot to attach the waiver form. She said she would call today to clear up the matter so I am hoping it works out!!!

does anyone know if davis is granting due date extensions due to all the problems they've been having? thanks.

actually does uc davis have the typical UC 30 day due date? i haven't been able to find any due dates for davis. thanks

Jtak,

On Page 1 of 8: Instructions and Introduction, it says that your application materials must be received on or before 30 days from the date a secondary application is requested. It says so on the paper copy that is mailed to applicants and in the online secondary (same page). Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

:)

I know somebody asked this question before, but can somebody tell me where I could find information on recent societal changes? I'm a real ******* who doesn't really keep up to date on the news... The website that someone posted early was really helpful to find recent medical breakthroughs... but I couldn't find any societal changes... If someone could help me out on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Originally posted by Jtak
does anyone know if davis is granting due date extensions due to all the problems they've been having? thanks.

Yes, they are, but they never specified how much time exactly. Terri Hall told me to "take as long as I needed."

is it safe to submit app online now? some people mentioned they were still seeing another's info between pages. i know i've gotten a few database error messages when trying to log on last week.

Originally posted by qwerty one
Yes, they are, but they never specified how much time exactly. Terri Hall told me to "take as long as I needed."

thanks a lot qwerty, that really puts me at ease. i'm past my dealine ... i better get with it. thanks

for ORGANIZED EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES i was wondering what everyone put down for other. i've never taken part in organized dance, art, music, etc. what else is there? i'm about to leave that whole section blank. thanks

Originally posted by kwanny
I know somebody asked this question before, but can somebody tell me where I could find information on recent societal changes? I'm a real ******* who doesn't really keep up to date on the news... The website that someone posted early was really helpful to find recent medical breakthroughs... but I couldn't find any societal changes... If someone could help me out on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi kwanny. You choose to respond about either a society change or medical breakthrough. As someone who just wrote my response for this question, there are ways to choose one (either medical or societal change) and actually incorporate both into your response. I found watching the news and reading the paper really helpful in getting my response written to a point I was happy with. Try looking online at cnn.com or if you have Time magazine, try looking there too. They were also helpful for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!!! :clap:

Yeah, I left the organized extracurricular stuff blank since everything else I have done fit into one of the other categories. I don' t think they expect everyone to have an amazing experience in each category, and for all of them to be filled in.

Hi kwanny. You choose to respond about either a society change or medical breakthrough. As someone who just wrote my response for this question, there are ways to choose one (either medical or societal change) and actually incorporate both into your response. I found watching the news and reading the paper really helpful in getting my response written to a point I was happy with. Try looking online at cnn.com or if you have Time magazine, try looking there too. They were also helpful for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!!! :clap:

Oh... we get to choose?? Damn, dat's awesome. :clap: But on the other hand, think I might have to start reading the questions slower... :D

Thanks, voltron. :)

You're welcome kwanny. Good luck!!!

thanks dr kevin. i left mine blank too. is there any way to pay davis with credit card? if not who do we make the check out to? "Regents of UC" or "UC Regents" or something? i can't find payment method anywhere. thanks

sorry guys... one more thing. does davis want a photo? since i submitted my app, i haven't been able to access their instructions so i'm doing everything blind. i never got a paper copy either. thanks for all your help.

Make check payable to the REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA.

I did not see anything about sending a photo

jtak,

although optional, they do want a photo for the purpose of recalling later on.

I finally finished my UC Davis secondary...submitted online a few minutes ago with no online problems!!!! What a great Labor Day holiday!!!! Good luck everyone!!! :D :clap: :D

Originally posted by voltron77
I finally finished my UC Davis secondary...submitted online a few minutes ago with no online problems!!!! What a great Labor Day holiday!!!! Good luck everyone!!! :D :clap: :D

Feels good to finish that beast of an app, doesn't it? Congrats. :D

It feels really great qwerty one!!!!! That application took a lot out of me!!! Good luck to you in the process. By the way, I am from San Diego too!!! :clap:

ok does anyone have the instructions saved? i dont know anything. how many pictures do we send and what do they want us to write on it? i'm confused. please help. pm me if you have the instructions and i'll give you my email. thanks

Originally posted by Jtak
ok does anyone have the instructions saved? i dont know anything. how many pictures do we send and what do they want us to write on it? i'm confused. please help. pm me if you have the instructions and i'll give you my email. thanks

Jtak,

Sending one picture is completely optional. It should be a 2x2 size photo with your name and AMCAS ID# written on the back of it. Hope that helps you out. Good luck!!!!

Two weeks ago when I got the paper secondary but not the online secondary, I called and emalied the office of admissions several times to see what the story is. Today, I called again and the voice message (I guess it is Frances Queen) said that she will be out of the office until September 8th.

Such timing! Has anyone gotten through to the admissions office in the last two weeks? Should I just send my paper secondary even though I do not have access to the online secondary?

Any advice would be much appreciated:)

Violinrose,

Have you recently checked the application status page on the UC Davis website?

I would go ahead and start working and completing the secondary and make sure your letters of recommendation are in soon.

When I emailed and called the admissions office (BTW, I was able to get in contact with them through sheer luck), they stressed that the online application must be completed!!! They only required the paper copy if there was a problem with the online secondary and that they would inform the application directly if they had a problem with their online secondary.

Good luck and hopefully you get access to the online secondary application!!! Stay positive!!!

Hey Voltron and everyone else...!

You will not believe this! Actually, maybe you will. I called the office of admissions again, intending to leave a message. But someone picked up (by shear luck too!). Anyway, I explained that I had gotten my paper secondary but no access to online sec.

He looked up my info and kept saying "interesting". I didn't know what that meant. Well, he fixed the problem, and after 2 weeks, I finally have access to the online secondary! Yay!

BTW, he said these problems were probably as a result of the online issues they have been having.

Cheers:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good job Violinrose!!!! I am really glad to hear that you got your online issue finally resolved. As soon as you get your secondary completed and submitted, you will feel like a great weight has been lifted off of your shoulders!!!!! Good luck and stay positive!!!

thanks medorbust, violinrose, and voltron77 for all your help. i just submitted/sent out everything! i'm so glad i'm finally done with this secondary. it was tough without instructions but thanks to all you guys for making it easy for me. i hope we all get interviews! good luck

Just as a warning to you guys...I sent in the paper copy of my application on Aug 23 along with my application fee and submitted my application online on Aug 25th. According to the website, neither my check nor my letters have been received as of today (Sept 2) so I called the office to ask about the status. Luckily, the letters were received (although my online status says it was not) but my check was not. Now get this... THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF MY SECONDARY APPLICATION BEING SUBMITTED!!! I told them that I had submitted my application both online as well as through snail mail...so even though the online status says that my application was submitted...IT WAS NOT!!! Obviously since they don't have my paper application, they don't have my check either. I am just writing this to let you know that even though you have submitted the online application, they still may not have it!! Please call and check to make sure they have received your application.

For those of you who are curious...I am just planning to submit another paper copy of my application (luckily I copied it before I sent it out!!). In regards to the application fee...I am not supposed to send another one out until further notice (because they have having delays in receiving mail).

Again..please call and check your status!! (the admissions office will probably hate me for telling everyone to call. :D )

You're very welcome Jtak. Congrats on finishing the UC Davis secondary application. It is such a great feeling to finally be done with the secondary......good luck in the process!!! :hardy:

Thx for the heads up Ubu. I hope the difficulties are subsiding.

Anyways, I have a quick question. Do we send a max. of 3 letters even if it is from a letter service?

I think someone mentioned 2 science, 1 non-science.

3 letters maximum is what they told me!!!!

Originally posted by Violinrose
Thx for the heads up Ubu. I hope the difficulties are subsiding.

Anyways, I have a quick question. Do we send a max. of 3 letters even if it is from a letter service?

I think someone mentioned 2 science, 1 non-science.

You're welcome Violinrose. Thanks for the warning Ubu. I submitted my secondary app (both parts) online yesterday and had no techniccal problems. I will follow up and see if they cashed my check yet because I sent that a week or so ago, even before I finished the secondary application!!!! Hopefully I will not encounter any problems!!!! Good luck and stay positive!!!

:)

Holy ****! :eek: This thing's a beast! Damn, six 1500 character essays on the personal information section... By far the longest and most time consuming app I've filled out... this better be worth it... :mad: